Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm a pretty up to date tech guy my daughter or even nephews are not running rings around me in tech, not to say that day won't come. I can use multiple OS's on phones and PCs including Android and Linux (even Windows LOL). I typically buy 2 or 3 android phones a year just to root and flash ROMs. Sometimes I will even develop a ROM or modify APKS for people and put it on XDA but that's been a while. Right now I'm looking for my next android phone to play with not sure if its going to be a Samsung or a Pixel. With all that said I'm probably not the average parent. I get what your saying about other countries but here at least my family we don't facetime much its mostly text. Facetime is not used for texting.
Good for you but I was specifically noting your facetime comment, not text as you did not mention it previously :)

Unfortunately for me my kids are running rings around me but mainly as like my eldest who has a Phd :rolleyes:

Still as you now bring text in to the chat with your experience you should be more than aware of the level of sophistication and simple fun many enjoy with these alternative apps like Line that have both mobile and laptop versions, so all can enjoy without the overhead of having to buy in to an Apple IPhone to get a KISS message service that is partially restricted

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
If (if) after you lot report on yours that it's all good and after I've tried one in hand, I'm tempted to buy the Arctic Silver model from Amazon Germany. But I'll wait until I'm back from the Camino del Santiago at the end of May before I do which gives plenty of time for any problems to surface.

The Arctic silver is closest I'm gonna get to white.

(Who will win the MacRumors sweepstake is still ?? )

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
do you guys notice in the ram management testing when the gs8 pics an old app it's playing the instant the guy clicks on it and on the iPhone it has a screen capture of it and 2 seconds later it plays?

that to me is a refresh.

That's why most of those speed tests are meaningless and useless because they are unaware of app state suspension to and restore from storage. And, they're also clueless or purposely avoiding iOS' 3 minute limit on background running apps before they get killed which makes apps that keep a persistent connection open like SSH clients useless.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
If I had to guess, Quick Charge 2.0. I think if it was 3.0 or 4.0, they would have said more about it. But not sure.

Not even the LG G6 supports 4.0. I think only 4.0 is being used in the 835 or newer, right? I doubt 3.0 and 4.0 are earth shattering. After using dash charging from the OP3, nothing really works as efficient to that in my eyes.
[doublepost=1491411491][/doublepost]
If (if) after you lot report on yours that it's all good and after I've tried one in hand, I'm tempted to buy the Arctic Silver model from Amazon Germany. But I'll wait until I'm back from the Camino del Santiago at the end of May before I do which gives plenty of time for any problems to surface.

I could see Samsung releasing a proper white back and white front model, but that sensor line in the front top bezel is too much to bear tbh. They haven't had a decent white model since the S6 and S6 Edge.

Reactions: MRU and epicrayban

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

I would have gone with artic silver, but once I found out the fronts will be black no matter what I lost interest. Just went with all black.

Yeah, I know you didn't ask. But I felt like sharing anyway.

Reactions: MRU

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Is AT&T running any deal when you preorder the s8? I'm not seeing anything on their website saying so.

bb97582dd5848bec05ed14462c5bccf9.jpg

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Yeah I saw that one but def wasn't looking for 2 S8's. More so towards getting something like the VR or memory card. Its cool though.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Yeah I saw that one but def wasn't looking for 2 S8's. More so towards getting something like the VR or memory card. Its cool though.

I think the free VR and mem card is through Samsung. So, unless I'm mistaken or there's some sorta fine print, I think you could get a free S8 and then register one of them for the free VR/Mem card through Samsung.

Double check.

[doublepost=1491417702][/doublepost]http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...rested-in-the-larger-flagship-variant_id92786

Samsung ramps up production for the Galaxy S8+, retailers more interested in the larger flagship variant

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I think the free VR and mem card is through Samsung. So, unless I'm mistaken or there's some sorta fine print, I think you could get a free S8 and then register one of them for the free VR/Mem card through Samsung.

Double check.

[doublepost=1491417702][/doublepost]http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sams...rested-in-the-larger-flagship-variant_id92786

Samsung ramps up production for the Galaxy S8+, retailers more interested in the larger flagship variant

Yeah im going to head to the Samsung website and check it out. I just preordered my S8+ through AT&T.

Reactions: epicrayban

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Yeah im going to head to the Samsung website and check it out. I just preordered my S8+ through AT&T.

I believe you can take advantage of these regardless of where you pre-ordered:

"Get the new Gear VR with Controller for free, plus Oculus content bonus when you pre-order the Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+. For a limited time you can add premium headphones by AKG and a 256GB memory card for just $99.*"

https://samsungpromotions.com/

I ordered the immersive pack for the over the ear BT headphones and memory card. Can always sell either if I don't like/need it

https://samsungpromotions.com/infinitelyimmersive.html

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I believe you can take advantage of these regardless of where you pre-ordered:

"Get the new Gear VR with Controller for free, plus Oculus content bonus when you pre-order the Galaxy S8 or Galaxy S8+. For a limited time you can add premium headphones by AKG and a 256GB memory card for just $99.*"

https://samsungpromotions.com/

I ordered the immersive pack for the over the ear BT headphones and memory card. Can always sell either if I don't like/need it

https://samsungpromotions.com/infinitelyimmersive.html

Yeah I was just looking at that but I guess I have to wait until I get the S8 in hand to activate the offer.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Not to rain on anyone's parade, but with last week's news that Synaptics seems to have licked the problem of how to integrate the FPS on the front under the glass (and maybe have it ready in time for the N8)...who here is still willing to shell out major bucks on the S8/+?

Almost assuredly, the S9 will have the FPS on the front as I predicted.

You're asking that of the wrong group. I'm guessing the a large portion if not the majority of people who post here isn't looking at this as an "either/or" situation. ;)
[doublepost=1491419483][/doublepost]
But then his post wasn't directed at you as well.....yet you replied to it. I guess we can all reply to whomever we want to.....
[doublepost=1491351122][/doublepost]Here is a speed test video....which are stupid. Most people will never notice the split second difference in opening apps or games.

What I am excited about is the ram test in the video. He opened a lot of games and apps during the video then went back to them and the S8 did not refresh.
Samsung is getting better at ram management.

Thanks for this. This was one of my concerns. Sammy's RAM management previously had been not awesome. My only major question about the device at this point is battery.

Reactions: Demo Kit and jamezr

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Went to the Samsung Experience store today in Manhattan. Got to play with the S8/S8+ again and hold it in my hand this time. Can only speak for myself on this, the finger sensor placement is a non issue for me on the S8 using both hands. It was actually easy. The finger sensor placement on the S8+ was doable with both hands, as long as I don't grip the phone at the very bottom. I'm satisfied with the placement, and will get better once I receive my S8+ and adjust to it. Not saying I prefer it over a middle placement by any means.

Bixby within the camera worked great. Much better than the vlog reviews I watched. I only had one wrong recognition out of countless tries. I'm not feeling the Bixby button. I already pressed it by mistake several times. I hope there is a solution to that. I didn't check the settings.

Also got to try the new controller while playing on the Gear VR. The new controller is heaven sent. I wasn't expecting it to be that good. It's so light and the button placement is perfect. I actually prefer it over my Moga controller. The new controller is not rechargeable though, it takes two AA batteries(or was it AAA). Had a good time shooting zombies with it. Unfortunately I didn't get to try the VR with the S8, only the S7 edge.

so you don't always get your whatsapp messages?

I get all my Whatapp messages. What I meant was 95% of everyone I dealt with recently, already have Whatsapp installed and ready to go, on both iOS and Android.

Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Went to the Samsung Experience store today in Manhattan. Got to play with the S8/S8+ again and hold it in my hand this time. Can only speak for myself on this, the finger sensor placement is a non issue for me on the S8 using both hands. It was actually easy. The finger sensor placement on the S8+ was doable with both hands, as long as I don't grip the phone at the very bottom. I'm satisfied with the placement, and will get better once I receive my S8+ and adjust to it. Not saying I prefer it over a middle placement by any means.

Bixby within the camera worked great. Much better than the vlog reviews I watched. I only had one wrong recognition out of countless tries. I'm not feeling the Bixby button. I already pressed it by mistake several times. I hope there is a solution to that. I didn't check the settings.

The two sore spots in design are the FPS sensor location and the Bixby button.

However, like you, I think I'll adapt to the back FPS sensor just fine. No question it's not ideal, but it'll just take some getting used to. As various blogs have reported, it was probably a last minute decision before they had to finalize the design to go into production because they couldn't prepare the front sensor underneath the screen in time. I think this was the right choice rather than trying to force a feature that wasn't ready for primetime (in some ways, that's very Apple-like of them to do. Once again, shedding away some of the old Samsung-ness).

As for the Bixby button, I actually think Bixby is a pretty interesting take on the virtual assistant. If it can truly do via voice everything you can do via touch, then I'm in. But the button... that is a hell of a gamble. In this case, I don't think this was a good decision, but we'll see. I could forgive it if it could have been either turned off or remapped to something else, but so far, it doesn't seem to be able to do either. Perhaps a future software update...

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
As for the Bixby button, I actually think Bixby is a pretty interesting take on the virtual assistant. If it can truly do via voice everything you can do via touch, then I'm in. But the button... that is a hell of a gamble. In this case, I don't think this was a good decision, but we'll see. I could forgive it if it could have been either turned off or remapped to something else, but so far, it doesn't seem to be able to do either. Perhaps a future software update...

Agreed, When Samsung decided to make a hardware button it should have first guaranteed that in all the markets the device will retail, that Bixby button would do something.

If your in a country where Bixby regionally will not be supported either in part or fully then Samsung should indeed have allowed consumers the ability to have that button remapped.

Otherwise they are basically supplying a device to those consumers with what can only be described as a glorified F'off button.

Looks like MKBHD agrees too

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Agreed, When Samsung decided to make a hardware button it should have first guaranteed that in all the markets the device will retail, that Bixby button would do something.

If your in a country where Bixby regionally will not be supported either in part or fully then Samsung should indeed have allowed consumers the ability to have that button remapped.

Otherwise they are basically supplying a device to those consumers with what can only be described as a glorified F'off button.

Looks like MKBHD agrees too

It would make perfect sense to just let people re-map it. Then it could be an advantage to have that button depending on what people want it for. Camera shutter, a quick shortcut to dial a contact, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.