Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
If you prefer flat screens, then be prepared to never buy a flagship Samsung phone again.... Until foldable/rollable phones are released.
[doublepost=1491456156][/doublepost]
If you have a T-Mobile pre-order, anticipate 1 week early.

I have AT&T.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
S8 full review:

Not overly familiar with the reviewer, and I either missed or he didn't say how long he's had the device for. I wouldn't call it an in depth review but hey...It's something! ;)
looking forward to flossy's review most of all lol

the whole fingerprint on the back and where it is would annoy me and i would use one of the other methods instead

Jbee94

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2015
Glasgow, Scotland
I have an iPhone 7+ 128GB matte black

I am considering getting the s8 but have never had an android phone before always iphone.

I am not sure what to do as the S8 looks amazing but I wary that I might get it then regret it and want to go back to iPhone.

Is anyone else planning on switching ?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
So my plan to buy has changed from selling my iPhone to trading it in with CPW instead.

This will allow me to early upgrade, get more data with o2, and not have to mess about with eBay, eBay fees, possible scammers and then PayPal holding my account balance for up to 21 days because iPhone's are a 'high risk' item.

However, I'm now a little bit on the fence.

I really can't decide whether I want to pull the trigger with this or not and I don't know why.

Part of me still really wants the BB KEYone, other parts of me thinks I'm giving up some fantastic battery life with this 7 Plus and the other great things that I find about the iPhone.
Don't get me wrong, this iPhone has annoyed me so much recently for differing reasons, but I just don't know whether I'm sold on this S8.

The back fingerprint scanner is bothering me. It bothered me on the Pixel and I think it will bother me more on this device seeing how small it is and the poor placement.
I've also never really been a Galaxy fan. I've never owned one apart from a cheap Galaxy Alpha a few years back, which I actually did like, but the recent ones just haven't done it for me.

I don't know whether to hold out and see what the G6 is like, the KEYone and even the XZ Premium as that 4K display is likely to be delicious.

Urgh can't decide.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
S8 full review:

Not overly familiar with the reviewer, and I either missed or he didn't say how long he's had the device for. I wouldn't call it an in depth review but hey...It's something! ;)
You guys are giving the worst reviewer on YouTube loads of extra travel. He rushes to be the first simply for traffic on youtube. (As evident in the fact he could not be even bothered to wipe the gunk off either device screens before filming, hasn't even used the device enough to install third party apps in this in depth review and hasn't even set up home screens, he swipes to blank ones as if that demonstrates fluidity ).

Most of the time he gets even simple device specs wrong and his overall knowledge is as deep as a shallow end of a child's paddling pool.

Lest not forget this is the reviewer who thinks boot up and shut down speeds tell you if a device is faster .....

He is just simply terrible ..... The only thing is, you do get to see the device in action which is the only saving grace, but as for anything else, entirely useless.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yeah I think most reviewers have basically echoed the overall impression. If you like the galaxy phones before the s8 will appeal to you. It is what it is, a galaxy phone. But they aren't big on bixby although it's still early. But the hardware button is odd, as well as the terrible placement of the fp scanner. It's hard to justify the position, off center and next to the camera lens. It invites smudges. If you have to use two hands to use it like the Samsung promo illustrated then it's ill conceived. Seemingly another issue of Samsung rushing to just put it somewhere, anywhere on the phone just to say it's there. I understand the face unlock is a convenience but it really shouldn't be compromised by a mere photo either.

I think you will be surprised how easily people adjust to different phone ergonomics and retraining of muscle memory.

Bigger phone formats are in, even Apple had to concede on that point therefore you will never achieve 100% easy one handed operation with these larger phones :rolleyes:

Many will equally likely to put smudges on their lens just by getting their phone in and out of their pocket or handbag so you should already be checking every time before you take an important snap :rolleyes:

I don't understand your criticism of the face unlock Samsung provide 7 different ways to turn on your device plus from the fastest to the most secure, how many more ways do you want :rolleyes:

Can't we move on now from these points already flogged to death

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
That new MKBHD video "Dear Samsung" is hilarious and he makes many salient points.

However, it's pretty obvious that Samsung include all these "duplicate apps" because Google (and/or many services) isn't allowed in China (and certain other huge countries!), which is a potentially huge market. That includes Email, Calendar, S Note etc etc and..... Bixby instead of Google Now.

It's great that we can remap the Bixby button, although I totally agree about it being triggered too easily.

I actually really want the S8 - especially as my S7 Edge is dying - but have to admit the S9 should be significantly better in key regards. Also, would love to try a Note one day and I'm sure the Note 8 will be superb.

But my phone is dying, and I need a phone with one of the best cameras. Waiting for reviews, I guess.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm left handed, but from what I've been reading of the comments on this thread, I think I might be using my phones like a right-handed person. I do pull the phone out of pocket or purse with my left hand but quickly switch it to my right hand and unlock with the right thumb, usually, on my iPhone 7Plus or HTC 10. All other phones I use a passcode because my prints rarely work. I navigate the phone with my left middle or index fingers usually. On an SE I operate one handed using the right thumb. So...am I a lefty or righty phone user? ??:confused:??

Anyway on the S8 it feels natural for me to use my right index finger to unlock.

It IS a stupid place for a fingerprint sensor but it sounds like Apple is also having a hard time packing similar feature set into the iPhone of similar bezel-free design. If they were working with the release date the S8 is seeing, I wonder what they would have done.
[doublepost=1491470472][/doublepost]
T-Mobile better get their act together and match the deals AT&T and US Cellular offer.
Be careful wth that AT&T offer. We took that to get two Note 7's last year. After the recall we ended up with 2 S7 Edges. My husband caught AT&T charging us for the "free" one and when he gets back from his business trip will be doing battle with them to straighten that out.

Edit to add...how do you undo a post merge on this forum. I'm starting to get sick of unrelated posts replying to different people getting smushed together into one long one.

Last edited:

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'm left handed, but from what I've been reading of the comments on this thread, I think I might be using my phones like a right-handed person. I do pull the phone out of pocket or purse with my left hand but quickly switch it to my right hand and unlock with the right thumb, usually, on my iPhone 7Plus or HTC 10. All other phones I use a passcode because my prints rarely work. I navigate the phone with my left middle or index fingers usually. On an SE I operate one handed using the right thumb. So...am I a lefty or righty phone user? ??:confused:??

Anyway on the S8 it feels natural for me to use my right index finger to unlock.

It IS a stupid place for a fingerprint sensor but it sounds like Apple is also having a hard time packing similar feature set into the iPhone of similar bezel-free design. If they were working with the release date the S8 is seeing, I wonder what they would have done.

My wife drives me crazy by the time she's found her S6 then chooses one of 3 pairs of glasses and has to flip open because she refuses to swipe through the cover then does her pattern 3 times (she hates FP) the sun has just about set :rolleyes:

I have offered to increase the font but she's too embarrassed if someone see's her screen with a 4 letter word filling the whole width LOL

So yes lefty or righty, one or two handed or being the fastest on the draw is not the bee-all and end-all, literally different strokes for ...........

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My wife drives me crazy by the time she's found her S6 then chooses one of 3 pairs of glasses and has to flip open because she refuses to swipe through the cover then does her pattern 3 times (she hates FP) the sun has just about set :rolleyes:

I have offered to increase the font but she's too embarrassed if someone see's her screen with a 4 letter word filling the whole width LOL

So yes lefty or righty, one or two handed or being the fastest on the draw is not the bee-all and end-all, literally different strokes for ...........
I reread my post and it sounds like I unlock my phones by doing the "Hokey Pokey".

(Do millennials even know what the "hokey pokey" is anymore? I was shocked to find out all Gilligan's Island references go over the heads of the ones I know).

At any rate, for the younger people here...I am not referring to anything dirty.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011

Ha, you and I are the same kind of lefty!
I do exactly the same. I'm left handed but it is unnatural for me to scroll and use my phone left handed?!

Which is odd thinking on it, as everything else with my right hand feels completely unnatural! (No jokes needed!)

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I know that the bixby button can be remapped but can it be remapped to anything?

Sorry I haven't had a chance to catch up on things.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I know that the bixby button can be remapped but can it be remapped to anything?

Sorry I haven't had a chance to catch up on things.

Yeah looks like it, just need an app - no need to root.

I'd probably just make it a camera button.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Yeah looks like it, just need an app - no need to root.

I'd probably just make it a camera button.

Same here camera button for me! BUT I will give Bixby a try. But..... probably will end up re mapping it to the camera.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
This is good, but using a third party app to circumvent the lockout isn't really the same thing as being allowed to remap the button in settings or officially supported.

We need Samsung to allow a simple option in settings, as clearly Samsung had no intentions of letting us remap it at present.

I hear that but hey, a few years ago you'd never see a 3rd party app be able to do that without root. And as long as the app works, just hide the app in a folder somewhere and you'll be fine.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Why don't nowhere in the uk have the S8 demos first Currys and now CPW

Not going town just to try and find somewhere that does ugh

I only want to have a look lol

Reactions: 5105973 and Oohara

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Lol! The one intriguing thing about Bixby is that the actual Bixby page looks like it could be really useful if it's showing weather, alarms and calendar items. Almost like the iOS widget page.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Why don't nowhere in the uk have the S8 demos first Currys and now CPW

Not going town just to try and find somewhere that does ugh

I only want to have a look lol

As far as I was told, all CPW stores should have demo units?
We're a tiny store and we've got 3!!

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
This is what I want, and glad it's an option ..... LONG PRESS!!! As I stated previously, the Bixby button is very soft and too easy to activate by accident, regardless of what you map to it.

button.jpeg

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
As far as I was told, all CPW stores should have demo units?
We're a tiny store and we've got 3!!

Went in to my one near work and they have posters above the phones and I was thinking they were it but no they have the S7 edge on display. Really odd doing that

My dad will be upgrading to S8 so wanted to check it out and let him know what I think. Guess when I go town next week will have to wait then

Reactions: Aneres11

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is what I want, and glad it's an option ..... LONG PRESS!!! As I stated previously, the Bixby button is very soft and too easy to activate by accident, regardless of what you map to it.

View attachment 695113
Nice find! the long press will be very useful.
[doublepost=1491484191][/doublepost]
I have AT&T.
the big question is.....will AT&T re box it in their own fugly orange and white boxes. or ship in the original Samsung box.....

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.