Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I think the S8 is the S6 all over again, I mean in battery department. They release this sweet looking cool new phone, but have too small battery in it.

In my opinion, the S8 should have a 3,500mAh battery and S8+ a 4,000mAh.

You watch, the S9 next year will be pretty much the same design again, but I can almost guarantee with larger batteries inside

Every hands on review that I've seen so far as reported battery life being good enough for a day's usage. So that's good news. Hopefully the Note 8 will have a 4,000mah battery life.

Reactions: 5105973

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
Every hands on review that I've seen so far as reported battery life being good enough for a day's usage. So that's good news. Hopefully the Note 8 will have a 4,000mah battery life.
Enough for a day's usage with what compromises? Using low power mode? Lower resolution? Not using wi-fi? If we can get one day's use by making those compromises than the battery is very disappointing. They should really include a bigger battery because of that screen.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Enough for a day's usage with what compromises? Using low power mode? Lower resolution? Not using wi-fi? If we can get one day's use by making those compromises than the battery is very disappointing. They should really include a bigger battery because of that screen.

Have a look at this previous post below. Starting at 7:42. Doesn't look like he was making any compromises.

Here's a good video to get familiar with the new UI. Makes sense now that you can swipe up from anywhere on the screen to bring up the app drawer.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I think the S8 is the S6 all over again, I mean in battery department. They release this sweet looking cool new phone, but have too small battery in it.

In my opinion, the S8 should have a 3,500mAh battery and S8+ a 4,000mAh.

You watch, the S9 next year will be pretty much the same design again, but I can almost guarantee with larger batteries inside

Larger battery is not a difficult prediction to make.

Otherwise, I agree. Wish it was larger. However, you also can't forget the Note 7 battery debacle. This was a safe move for Samsung.

At least you still get wireless charging and quick charging, two features the iPhone and Pixel don't have (does Pixel have quick charge? I forget).

Not to mention a battery that won't degrade as much over time. It is expected to hold something like 95% of charge over years. That's something for people who don't upgrade as often as some of us do.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm actually excited about the new battery tech in these phones. I think the S8+ will see similar drain as the S7 Edge but the degradation of the battery over time is much improved. Once/if we ever get Android O that may make a huge difference as well since it introduces some new rules about what apps can/can't run in the background.

http://bgr.com/2017/03/30/galaxy-s8-plus-vs-iphone-7-plus-battery-life/

Reactions: 5105973 and JaySoul

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016

Otherwise, I agree. Wish it was larger. However, you also can't forget the Note 7 battery debacle. This was a safe move for Samsung.

At least you still get wireless charging and quick charging, two features the iPhone and Pixel don't have (does Pixel have quick charge? I forget).

Not to mention a battery that won't degrade as much over time. It is expected to hold something like 95% of charge over years. That's something for people who don't upgrade as often as some of us do.
While I agree with the quick charging feature as a great alternative, I don't like how people excuse it for everything like "The battery doesn't last long but it's fine because it charges fast". This is wrong and I think Companies are using the quick charging technology as the new "battery saver" instead of giving us bigger battery capacity phones. :(

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
While I agree with the quick charging feature as a great alternative, I don't like how people excuse it for everything like "The battery doesn't last long but it's fine because it charges fast". This is wrong and I think Companies are using the quick charging technology as the new "battery saver" instead of giving us bigger battery capacity phones. :(

Who has said the battery doesn't last long? What is long?

And if there was another battery issue like the note 7, we'd all be saying Samsung should have played it safer and put in a smaller battery instead of chasing specs.

You also conveniently left out wireless charging.

In my experience, the S7E battery wasn't anything to write home about, but I never worried about battery life ever. Why? Cause of wireless charging. My device would always be topped off whenever it was idle. I would leave work with 100% battery often.

Why is it weird to use features to their advantage?

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Went in to see if the S8 was on display but no luck in currys
[doublepost=1491313840][/doublepost]
Oh it's there. I told my husband about the back and forth we all have been having about this on the forum and he says there is definitely a lag he's fighting. I didn't know it had gotten that way because I thought he cleared it up, but he says he tightens it up from time to time but it is never really gone and never as fast as what he's used to on an iPhone.

He runs probably three times as many apps as I do. He had even more starting out, but has pared it down a bit. He also themes the hell out of his phone. I don't think he's running any moving ones now, but I know in the beginning when we got our Note 7s we both were running the "live" ones. Some eat up more battery and lag the phone more than others. He knows better, he just doesn't care because he is having fun with it. He did go back to iPhone as his main phone.

I have probably no more than three widgets running on any of the phones. I run lean as I can and have no lag. I don't even know how my husband has managed to cram as many apps as he's done on a 32 GB phone that doesn't even have a full 32GB available to start with.

He isn't stupid. He is just stubborn. He knows what he wants on the phone and he will load it on and sit back and watch the lag. He is probably NOT a good match for a Samsung. But the thing is, he likes Touchwiz. He's played with vanilla Android and it holds no appeal for him. It is too IPhone-like.

I actually did not expect him to get an S8 Plus. I honestly was shocked he preordered. I don't think it's because he has to have everything I have because he sat out my Pixel preorder and doesn't even look at my HTC 10.
It's great you and your husband are techy people that seem to love technology . Must be great to have that in common.

Surprised you haven't got him posting on here lol
[doublepost=1491314030][/doublepost]
Everybody usage is different though so it's hard to compare

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
UK people - there is £20 off if you order officially from Samsung themselves, plus you can get their free insurance Mobile Care Light thing.

So that makes it £669 with a year "free" insurance (when is insurance ever "free" lol).

Tbh that's still a bit more than I wanted to pay - would love 20% at Very, that kind of price and I'd do it instantly.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016

And if there was another battery issue like the note 7, we'd all be saying Samsung should have played it safer and put in a smaller battery instead of chasing specs.

In my experience, the S7E battery wasn't anything to write home about, but I never worried about battery life ever. Why? Cause of wireless charging. My device would always be topped off whenever it was idle. I would leave work with 100% battery often.

My point is that using the wireless charger and quick charging as argument is bad as it only makes companies not caring about battery life.

PJM83

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2014
Stockholm
Managed to have a little hands on with a demo device in a store today. I was worried that the + would feel to tall, but after today all those fears are gone. It is one beautiful device and the orchid grey looks amazing.
Still a little bummed about the no coral blue.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
My point is that using the wireless charger and quick charging as argument is bad as it only makes companies not caring about battery life.

I wish batteries were larger, too, but I have not seen evidence of companies "not caring about battery life" due to these features.

And my point was that these features do make a difference. As I've said, with wireless charging, I have stopped counting SOT and being wary of my battery percentage. There's simply no need to. I no longer worry about battery life anymore. That can't be a bad thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU and jamezr

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

ah, I remember those posts with regards about my GS6. "You want great battery life? it's easy! just disable everything on this phone that makes it a smart phone! Why would anyone want bluetooth, VoLTE, auto screen brightness, blah blah blah..."

Quite frankly, it was absolutely hilarious the lengths folks would go through to defend that phone's "great battery life". Battery on that phone was absolute rubbish and I hope the GS8 doesn't follow a similar fate. I pre-orderd the standard GS8 as I think the size will be perfect but I hope I'm not burned by the battery life like I was on the GS6.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Seems like the only place I've seen the artic silver for sale is Amazon.de

I assume Corel Blue isn't coming to Europe or America at launch then ?

I'm still amazed this device is seemingly going to launch physically sooner in Europe than the LG G6 which still doesn't have a firm release date.

I have no doubt once this hits retail a number of them will appear on classified sites here as people sell off unwanted upgrades.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Seems like the only place I've seen the artic silver for sale is Amazon.de

I assume Corel Blue isn't coming to Europe or America at launch then ?

I'm still amazed this device is seemingly going to launch physically sooner in Europe than the LG G6 which still doesn't have a firm release date.

I have no doubt once this hits retail a number of them will appear on classified sites here as people sell off unwanted upgrades.

I feel like LG is where Samsung was maybe two years back (ish?) in terms of relationships with vendors, carriers, etc. It'll take some time and more LG-success for them to gain more footing...

As we know, this is an advantage that Apple enjoys, and Samsung is starting to enjoy. It's nice to see Samsung start to put their weight on carriers. I'm surprised and happy about an unlocked model so soon after launch, and the single SKU between all US models.

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

I don't think anyone would be saying use smaller batteries. There are phones with much bigger batteries yet didn't have the issues the note 7 had.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

The pixel uses the usbc pd tech. It is capable of charging at faster than conventional speeds

Reactions: epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I don't think anyone would be saying use smaller batteries. There are phones with much bigger batteries yet didn't have the issues the note 7 had.

People said exactly that with regards to the Note 7.

Look, I want a larger battery, too, but I respect Samsung for playing it safer post-Note 7. I'm sure the battery sizes were scrutinized during Samsung's R&D for this phone.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

True but they likely don't have the same curved front and back and remain below 8mm thickness.

Essentially smaller battery is a trade off for a curved thin phone. As long as there are some improvements in the technology and software power saving wise that users are not getting a perceived 'less' battery life than previous model, that there is always some if minor tangible improvement, then it shouldn't be seen as a major deal. It's just one of the things you have to accept if you want this phone.

Personally I'm more put off (pushed away from) more by the curved display and increased dimensions generally (over the S7) than battery size.

I would be willing to accept the battery size and wouldn't see it as too much of an issue if my other criteria was fulfilled.

I still think the push to slimmer and slimmer phones inevitably puts stress on the amount of physical battery space, and perhaps 1mm thicker and a slightly bigger battery would be a fair compromise. But hey thin is how the market seems to want to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: jamezr

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
True but they likely don't have the same curved front and back and remain below 8mm thickness.

Essentially smaller battery is a trade off for a curved thin phone. As long as there are some improvements in the technology and software power saving wise that users are not getting a perceived 'less' battery life than previous model, that there is always some if minor tangible improvement, then it shouldn't be seen as a major deal. It's just one of the things you have to accept if you want this phone.

Personally I'm more put off (pushed away from) more by the curved display and increased dimensions generally (over the S7) than battery size.

I would be willing to accept the battery size and wouldn't see it as too much of an issue if my other criteria was fulfilled.

I still think the push to slimmer and slimmer phones inevitably puts stress on the amount of physical battery space, and perhaps 1mm thicker and a slightly bigger battery would be a fair compromise. But hey thin is how the market seems to want to go.

Isn't the S8 1 mm thicker than the S7E? Or was it .1 mm thicker?

It's thicker, is the point. Or am I mistaken?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Isn't the S8 1 mm thicker than the S7E? Or was it .1 mm thicker?

It's thicker, is the point. Or am I mistaken?

It's .1 mm thicker than the S7 only which is a tenth of a mm. If they had maybe gone to 9mm thick and squeezed an extra 10-20% battery, but then there would inevitably be the complaints of it being too thick. It's one of those damned whichever you do things.

As long as whatever they put in their 2017 devices compares favourably in actual end results, then really is there a need to feel aggrieved is my point.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
@MRU, with regards to actual physical size, have you handled the S8 yet in person? Just curious.

As you may or may not know, I'm a small phone kind of guy myself. The S7E last year was the only exception that I could handle only due to Samsung's design and ergonomics. At the time, it was the most maneagable phablet to date and really shamed other phablets.

The S8 is slightly smaller than the S7E. And though by numbers, the difference might not mean much, in person, it does. As someone who had the S7E for the majority of 2016, picking up the S8 was almost mind boggling, especially with respect to the width. The thing is very usable one handed, with only the upper portion a slight challenge to reach.

Didn't you express interest in the G6? The S8 is smaller than that one. It's also smaller than the Pixel XL, and for sure smaller than the iPhone Plus.

As for the curve displays, I have to say again, you ought to get some hands on. In my 20 mins with it, I had no false touches. If you handled the Note 7, then you have some idea of how small the curvature is. The waterfall effect is very minimal now. You hardly notice any of that green-effect. A stark contrast compared to the S7E.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.