Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
This tells you everything you need to know. The S8 will not likely change your mind. Stick with your iPhone. It's ok to prefer it. :)

Judging from your post, I think you should stick with Apple!

I sense you are right, but I am open to moving, perhaps I just haven't found the right handset yet? There is also the possibility the next iPhone may disappoint?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Just catching up on this thread from about page 75 (date when phone was released) and its taken me ages ha!

Anyway, here is my problem, I am an iPhone 7+ user with AW S2, I also have an iPad Pro and MacBook Pro so I am somewhat entwined in the Apple Ecosystem, however I do not link any of them together for iMessages etc (apart from the AW and Phone, obviously).

In June of last year I used a standard iPhone 6s - the battery was terrible - lasted until about 7pm (with average usage). I decided to upgrade to the S7 Edge - was a brilliant phone, loved the feel of it in the hand, he screen was beautiful....but it just wasn't an iPhone....I have tried leaving Apple before (HTC, Samsung S4,S5 and S7 Edge) and sometimes went straight back, other times I managed to last 6 months or so.

I then decided to but a iPhone 6s+ to try and solve the battery problems so I returned the Edge under distance selling. With my upgrade I of course went for the iPhone 7+ - unsure why as there is very little difference between the 6s and 7 - but I was somehow annoyed when the phone was delayed on launch day (again not sure why, but Apple does this to you).

I have seen and handled the S8 in Currys but it was tethered (woman has stuck the tether on so hard she had shattered the rear glass). I actually love phone, the form factor, the screen - it just looks amazing. I have a new line on order with EE for launch day (20th) but also have the option of buying it through Very (then selling the IP7+ to pay for it). But here is my dilemma - I am worried that once I get it, it wont be an iPhone and I will want to send it back. I love my iPhone, but feel they are seriously lagging now (in technology) and their phones just old and dated (although the iOS is reliable etc). I also think that maybe in September Apple will launch their new iPhone and it will be the nuts, then I have to sell the S8 - these are all problems that are easily overcome admittedly, but I don't want the hassle of selling a phone on fleabay and having people try to scam me, then for PayPal to hold the money whilst some fool has the option of trying before they buy!

Then there is my ultimate dilemma, my AW which I LOVE! I have checked out the Gear 3 and it looks great, but its not an Apple Watch! Why oh why wont Apple open the watch up to work on Android, they'd make a killing IMO. I dont want to get rid of my AW but I really think the S8 could be the phone to take me away from Apple (at least for now) despite my concerns above!

Sorry for the rant, I dont expect any magic answers here, just venting ha!

Yeah its tough

I was very close to getting S8 but realised waiting til September is my best bet. My only concern will be screen size of the new iPhone if it is only 5.2 usable screen as I like bigger phones

Would I just get it because I'm so into the Apple ecosystem? Yeah most likely as it will have likely all the features I wanted from an iPhone apart from screen size.

Love my Apple Watch too and like how I can unlock my MacBook with my watch too

I've got the air pods too along with iPad Pro and they are all work too well together

You have to ask yourself would I want to sell the S8 in September? If you doubt yourself then maybe waiting is best

As don't forget resale value on Samsung aren't good..you won't get anywhere near the amount you paid for it

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
Yeah its tough

I was very close to getting S8 but realised waiting til September is my best bet. My only concern will be screen size of the new iPhone if it is only 5.2 usable screen as I like bigger phones

Would I just get it because I'm so into the Apple ecosystem? Yeah most likely as it will have likely all the features I wanted from an iPhone apart from screen size.

Love my Apple Watch too and like how I can unlock my MacBook with my watch too

I've got the air pods too along with iPad Pro and they are all work too well together

You have to ask yourself would I want to sell the S8 in September? If you doubt yourself then maybe waiting is best

As don't forget resale value on Samsung aren't good..you won't get anywhere near the amount you paid for it

Never resold a Samsung, how much less are you talking? When you factor in 10% ebay and 5% paypal.

Put it this way, if there is a section at the bottom of iphone which is screen but not usable that would be a dal breaker for me!

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
My only other suggestion is to try the google pixel. It's the closest android phone to an iPhones look and feel.

I had the Pixel and I'm glad I sold it after 5 weeks.

The NEXT Pixel, I'll definitely be interested assuming the hardware (e.g. screen ratio) is comparable to the G6. It won't be as pretty as the S8 and that's fine, but the Pixel hardware isn't mature enough.

Plus it's easier to find the Loch Ness Monster :D

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Never resold a Samsung, how much less are you talking? When you factor in 10% ebay and 5% paypal.

Put it this way, if there is a section at the bottom of iphone which is screen but not usable that would be a dal breaker for me!

Depends where you sell. I like to do comparisons web sites as it's easier.

I mean the most I could get for my S7 edge was between £200-£250 after 6 months while my current 7 plus I'm looking at £600 right now. Granted it's 256GB compared to 32GB so that's a big gap but even 64GB you can get £400

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Exactly. I am not anti Samsung, I think the best phone they made was the Galaxy S4 GPE ( Google Play Edition ), which was the S4 running stock Android, directly updated by Google. At the time when that phone was new, to compare the standard Touchwiz S4 version, next to the S4 GPE version, was night and day difference, in overall smoothness and performance, like a radical difference.

Sure fast forward a few years, and TW has gotten better, but along with their brute force method of state of the art fastest hardware to force it to be smooth. It works mostly, but that lag and hiccups are still there, and they typically come out after the phone ages, 6 months down the road, or one year later.

You want a lag free, or way less lag phone, then get the iPhone 7 Plus, or Pixel XL. Otherwise put up with the acceptable chop the Galaxy line has always had, but seems 99% of the user base is just ignorant to it, and doesn't know they should care.
Oh it's there. I told my husband about the back and forth we all have been having about this on the forum and he says there is definitely a lag he's fighting. I didn't know it had gotten that way because I thought he cleared it up, but he says he tightens it up from time to time but it is never really gone and never as fast as what he's used to on an iPhone.

He runs probably three times as many apps as I do. He had even more starting out, but has pared it down a bit. He also themes the hell out of his phone. I don't think he's running any moving ones now, but I know in the beginning when we got our Note 7s we both were running the "live" ones. Some eat up more battery and lag the phone more than others. He knows better, he just doesn't care because he is having fun with it. He did go back to iPhone as his main phone.

I have probably no more than three widgets running on any of the phones. I run lean as I can and have no lag. I don't even know how my husband has managed to cram as many apps as he's done on a 32 GB phone that doesn't even have a full 32GB available to start with.

He isn't stupid. He is just stubborn. He knows what he wants on the phone and he will load it on and sit back and watch the lag. He is probably NOT a good match for a Samsung. But the thing is, he likes Touchwiz. He's played with vanilla Android and it holds no appeal for him. It is too IPhone-like.

I actually did not expect him to get an S8 Plus. I honestly was shocked he preordered. I don't think it's because he has to have everything I have because he sat out my Pixel preorder and doesn't even look at my HTC 10.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Resale value of a new Samsung 6 months on is dreadful for sure.

The flip side of that is if you wait 4-6 months, you can pick up an absolute bargain when buying a Samsung.

I got my S7 Edge for £300, and would trade it in for £200.

A new iPhone 7 Plus is what, £900? And you could get £600 for it when selling/trading it but then you have paid £300 over the year.

It all depends on the individual, they need to sit down and work it out properly. I like spreadsheets :D

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Anyway, here is my problem

I'm in a similar boat to you, iPhone7+, iPad Air 2, Watch, iMac. Have tried to leave a few times (S2, S4, S5, Lumia 640XL, Lumia 950XL) but I always end up back with my iPhone. I will be building a Windows PC soon and ditching the iMac, but that won't matter as it's not tied to the other devices. Like you I love my watch and don't want to go without it, plus it's a 40th present from the wife, so another reason I don't want to ditch it.

I'm liking the look of the S8+ and would be keen to check it out, but my past shows I'll most likely want to come back to iOS, plus the issue with the watch.

I think the best choice is to hold out and see what the next iPhone has to offer. If it's not impressive I might hold off on upgrading and wait for the S9 next year. They should have the fingerprint scanner on the front sorted by then too

Reactions: 5105973

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
One thing that keeps me from pre ordering the S8+ plus is the battery, it looks worse than the S7E. I had an S6 and I hated the battery life so much it barely lasted a full day. I'd really need the S8+ to have a great battery. Anyone that tried the phone experienced crazy drains?

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
One thing that keeps me from pre ordering the S8+ plus is the battery, it looks worse than the S7E. I had an S6 and I hated the battery life so much it barely lasted a full day. I'd really need the S8+ to have a great battery. Anyone that tried the phone experienced crazy drains?

I think the S8 is the S6 all over again, I mean in battery department. They release this sweet looking cool new phone, but have too small battery in it.

In my opinion, the S8 should have a 3,500mAh battery and S8+ a 4,000mAh.

You watch, the S9 next year will be pretty much the same design again, but I can almost guarantee with larger batteries inside

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
I'm in a similar boat to you, iPhone7+, iPad Air 2, Watch, iMac. Have tried to leave a few times (S2, S4, S5, Lumia 640XL, Lumia 950XL) but I always end up back with my iPhone. I will be building a Windows PC soon and ditching the iMac, but that won't matter as it's not tied to the other devices. Like you I love my watch and don't want to go without it, plus it's a 40th present from the wife, so another reason I don't want to ditch it.

I'm liking the look of the S8+ and would be keen to check it out, but my past shows I'll most likely want to come back to iOS, plus the issue with the watch.

I think the best choice is to hold out and see what the next iPhone has to offer. If it's not impressive I might hold off on upgrading and wait for the S9 next year. They should have the fingerprint scanner on the front sorted by then too

Its a tricky one. I doubt I can continue to use my IP7+ for another 12months (for S9) or 18 months (for IP9 (IF IP8 disappoints)).

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Four year old phone with one of the best cameras, fastest processors, and best LCD screens of 2016 is a pretty good achievement I think.

Anyway, if there's so many reasons to buy an Android phone beyond customization (and there is, I agree) then not wanting it doesn't make you a "perfect customer for Apple". Nor does Apple decide what you do with your phone. Phil Schiller hasn't come down with a gun and told me what to do with my device. Neither has Tim Cook or Craig Federighi.

I decide what I'm going to do with it and choose the apps that allow me to do what I want.

You say you don't understand why people defend a brand, but all you've done in your post is trite memes about why iOS sucks. I don't understand why you feel the need to attack something just because you prefer something else.
Oh my goodness...you mean you did not have Phil Schiller lurk out in the hedges and jump out at you and yell "Get Spotify off that beautiful iPhone!" I damn near dropped my phone! When Drake showed up not a minute later and flashed the one-eye Illuminati hand sign at me I ran for dear life as if all the Eddy Cue shiny shirts of hell were unleashed after me!

Why do these things always happen to me?

Reactions: Michael Goff

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
So another thread in the alternatives ends up turning into a nursery school fight over Apple Vs Samsung ....

Seriously why so much animosity folks. If you have a preference for one over the other, do you really feel the need to slag the other off to be empowered ?

And really why bother. It's all just the same tired ***** repeated ad-nauseum. Why must any minor criticism of a product or company end up turning into this same cat fight ? If you don't agree with the criticism can you not just overlook it ? Why is there this reaction everytime to then slag another device as if to detract from the criticism, thus reverting to same asinine behaviour patterns ?

It's so tiresome to read the same crap everytime anything negative is posted, rather than legitimately discuss the issue raised by a poster, it's just easier to jump on the "yeah but my dad's bigger than your dad" play school battle between 5 year olds ...

Get over it peeps. Seriously.

Do Samsung phones lag ?

Yes occasionally, and the GUI often sporadically drops below the desired 60 FPS causing minor stutters and perceived choppiness. But as the devices have got faster, the instances of it happening are lessened. But Samsung's TW will forever carry around a lot of residual legacy stuff under the hood, but that's just how Samsung have decided to develop touchwiz. For that negative aspect, you have to weigh up all the options and choices it provides and the enhancements to facilitate user experiences over other devices.

The pixels may provide a smoother GUI but the trade off is less features, and they are just as susceptible to issues such as the Bluetooth audio bug that has rendered for many the use of Bluetooth headsets unusable with constant stuttering and dropped audio when listening to music. The recent update to Google play services only having minor improvement to the issue. Likewise issues such as Google Play Music consistently pausing itself mid songs randomly when on a pixel (just check the reviews from pixel users on the play store, it's a known issue) The solution is to unlock your device and stop / start the track which during a gym session run is annoying as hell.

Now these two issues may seem minor, but arguably cause far more pain in the backside to the end users than a hiccup or laggy moment in the GUI.

There are issues and annoyances with all. Accept the device you are purchasing will be flawed in some way because inevitably it will. Nothing is perfect or infallible.

People need to stop the defensive crap, and likewise the deflection to somehow brush any raised criticism under the carpet. Accept the criticism for what it is and you can either agree, disagree or be impassive about it, but stop the "yeah but Apple put me in a walled garden" defense nonsense ffs.

It's actually been a pretty mature conversation about Apple and Samsung. Did you actually read the posts?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yes. My husband and I have had crazy draining on our S7 Edges and on my S7. Different causes at different times. My HTC10 battery life also varies and usually my Samsungs are better.

But I was getting crazy drains on my iPhone 7Plus too on one of the versions of iOS. I'll be glad when final release is here and all the bugs have been sorted out.
[doublepost=1491307820][/doublepost]
I think the S8 is the S6 all over again, I mean in battery department. They release this sweet looking cool new phone, but have too small battery in it.

In my opinion, the S8 should have a 3,500mAh battery and S8+ a 4,000mAh.

You watch, the S9 next year will be pretty much the same design again, but I can almost guarantee with larger batteries inside
I agree, it's not ideal but I am sure after the Note 7 they are erring on the side of caution. Or perception of caution. Or something. I think my caffeine just ran out. Brain just sorta stopped. And you worry about the phone lagging. See what the poor phone will have to deal with me operating it. :rolleyes:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Yes and it was the same old tit for tat that has plagued this sub-fora since the day it was set up.

I disagree. It's actually been a very enjoyable and pleasant conversation for those like myself that generally leans toward iOS but has interest in Android products as well. Nothing nursery school about that.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Uh oh are we all now arguing about whether or not we've been arguing?

More coffee, tea, and donuts for everyone!

But not for me, I have to head out again. I've actually been in and out through the thread. I tried to trap a feral cat from in the field next to my house for the trap neuter release program, but the trap has warped in all the rain we have had and the kitty got away. Sigh.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Uh oh are we all now arguing about whether or not we've been arguing?

More coffee, tea, and donuts for everyone!

But not for me, I have to head out again. I've actually been in and out through the thread. I tried to trap a feral cat from in the field next to my house for the trap neuter release program, but the trap has warped in all the rain we have had and the kitty got away. Sigh.

Lol. We weren't until this morning. I've really enjoyed this thread too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.