Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'm not sure why there is so much denial on the stutter and lag with Galaxy devices. I'm a Samsung fan and at this point I don't care if there are little stutters or dropped frames occasionally because I now prefer the Samsung/Grace UX over both iOS and vanilla Android.

During the months I had the S7 there was noticeable lag when clicking the home button. It was definitely noticeable when compared to the Pixel, which I traded in my S7 for. Pressing home didn't take you to home as quickly on the S7 as it did on the Pixel. There was a slight delay from the time your finger presses home and you see home. Pixel was instant. I refer to that delay as lag. I don't know what else to call it.

And on all of the S8 demo models I've tried, there are dropped frames when swiping up for the app drawer and again dropped frames when opening apps from the app drawer, though it doesn't seem to happen 100% of the time.

Again, like I said, I don't care. I'll accept those things because I prefer the hardware and UX of the S8 over all current competition. But I find it perplexing when people swear that those little stutters and lags don't exist on their specific devices, as if it's just a one-off occurrence for it to happen, even though it has happened for every single Galaxy device I've owned or used in store.

I've posted these same complaints before.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/nexus-n-pixel-xl-2016.1951300/page-62#post-23759153
Yeah, agree and I'm not in denial. I just don't care. I'm not OCD about these things. They all do it. The only Galaxy device I had that bugged me with it is the first one. That one was coming to a crawl. I haven't had every a Galaxy phone though. I've had the GS1,3,6, & currently the 7.

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Samsung has really evolved their smart phone design.....
Here are the Note 7, GS 8+, GS 8 and GS7 edge in a side by side then with all the dimensions...
They are really close to eachother....

255818d1491262305t-note-7-vs-s8-plus-pic-note7.jpg

255819d1491262323t-note-7-vs-s8-plus-pic-n7g8.jpg

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I'm not sure. It's The only phone that does that out of all smart phones that I've owned. And it's probably the most annoying thing in the world.
Id rather not have it but it doesn't bother me that much. I'm sure there is a way to get rid of it from XDA if you really can't handle it lol.

Last edited:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Oddly, my s6 isn't really giving me the volume warning anymore. Not sure what's going on. Or maybe I just haven't seen it in a while.

Suspended
Oct 2, 2016
I'm not sure why there is so much denial on the stutter and lag with Galaxy devices. I'm a Samsung fan and at this point I don't care if there are little stutters or dropped frames occasionally because I now prefer the Samsung/Grace UX over both iOS and vanilla Android.

During the months I had the S7 there was noticeable lag when clicking the home button. It was definitely noticeable when compared to the Pixel, which I traded in my S7 for. Pressing home didn't take you to home as quickly on the S7 as it did on the Pixel. There was a slight delay from the time your finger presses home and you see home. Pixel was instant. I refer to that delay as lag. I don't know what else to call it.

And on all of the S8 demo models I've tried, there are dropped frames when swiping up for the app drawer and again dropped frames when opening apps from the app drawer, though it doesn't seem to happen 100% of the time.

Again, like I said, I don't care. I'll accept those things because I prefer the hardware and UX of the S8 over all current competition. But I find it perplexing when people swear that those little stutters and lags don't exist on their specific devices, as if it's just a one-off occurrence for it to happen, even though it has happened for every single Galaxy device I've owned or used in store.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/nexus-n-pixel-xl-2016.1951300/page-62#post-23759153
I agree with everything you said but this also applies to the competition, people swear by the product they bought and try to defend it like they earn something from doing so. I feel exactly like you. if I get any device I like but there are issues with it like lags I immediately say it and don't try to defend the company/device with useless excuses.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Hopefully for the Note 8 then ;)

Most likely. :)
[doublepost=1491270173][/doublepost]
I agree with everything you said but this also applies to the competition, people swear by the product they bought and try to defend it like they earn something from doing so. I feel exactly like you. if I get any device I like but there are issues with it like lags I immediately say it and don't try to defend the company/device with useless excuses.

That also works vice versa. I've had a iPhone since the 3GS and Android phones since G1, so I hold no personal attachment to either OS or any manufacturer. But many times when I claim I don't have a specific issue with whatever specific device I'm speaking on, some try to prove me wrong as if they are holding my device themselves. There is just as much denial for the positives as there is the negatives.

Last edited:

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Saw something interesting at Best Buy while looking at these again. There was information about the S8 and S8+ and it said 5.8" diagonal display, 5.6" measured from the rounded corner to corner. On the S8+ it was 6.2" diagonal, 6.1" measured from each rounded corner. Any idea why there is a .2" difference in the S8 usable screen size?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Saw something interesting at Best Buy while looking at these again. There was information about the S8 and S8+ and it said 5.8" diagonal display, 5.6" measured from the rounded corner to corner. On the S8+ it was 6.2" diagonal, 6.1" measured from each rounded corner. Any idea why there is a .2" difference in the S8 usable screen size?

Active display corners are probably more rounded. Noticed that mentioned in this video at 1:28.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Imagine what you lose just to gain milliseconds.

With the iPhone, you'd lose the freedom, customization, features, and general ease of use in the software. In the hardware, you'd lose wireless charging, screen technology, and design/ergonomics.

With the Pixel, you'd lose less on the software front, but you'd lose waterproofing and wireless charging, and certainly design.

(Naturally you'd gain other things in those respective examples, too.)

Is that worth it over milliseconds?

Luckily everyone has their choices, but to me, those milliseconds don't count for much. No one is in denial per se; just that this notion of touchwiz lag is not as insane as some are making it out to be. It certainly isn't a deal breaker. Just cause something else comes out later in year that's faster doesn't render the S7, for example, unusable.

Especially since all phones lag. To say "lagfree" is false. You really think the Pixel and iPhone don't have their occasional micro stutter or delayed app opening? I've witnessed it on both (e.g. Saw micro stutters in the google now page on my Pixel. And on the iPhone I've experience a slight delay on occasion when hitting the home button).

I'm all for calling on Samsung to continue their refinements with their software. They have been. Year after year.

Like I said in my s8 play through, it felt like using a Pixel. Touch response was spot on too.

If those milliseconds really do matter, thankfully there are other good Android options.

But what if you find customizing unimportant?

Reactions: epicrayban

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
So are you arguing the only reason to buy an Android phone is customization? Really?

nope.

in case of the new Samsung S8, it's about hardware as well. My iPhone 7 looks like a 4 year old smartphone (oh wait, its actually an almost 4 year old smartphone) ;) compared to the new Samsung S8.

I am just trying not only defend Samsung or Apple. A lot people here are constantly defending their brand, why? Does Apple (or Samsung) pay these people?
I can ''play'' with both iPhone and Samsung/Android pretty well.
I like both smartphones, but I also just like the open OS of Samsung/Andoid and the beauty of the new Samsung S8 (compared to the ancient iPhone 7)

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I've never once seen this warning on the iPhone. Just Samsung devices.
Then you do not have an EU post 2013 IPhone :rolleyes:

I understand it's worse on the EU IPhone as although there is a toggle to switch off the warning in settings. The warning kicks in at a recommended setting, the toggle only allows you to set the level up to a higher cap which is still lower than on US IPhone, which is why some jailbreak to get around this.
[doublepost=1491278839][/doublepost]
It is on the pixel, but it only asks you once, after you dismiss the warning it never asks again, which is how it should be handled on all devices.

Perhaps Samsung have finally implemented this with Nougat ?

I wonder if on the pixel they have taken the directive of the warning must be displayed after 8 hours use as "continuous" so you would be unlikely to see it again :) Wanna try :D

GrumpyMom said she had seen the warning on her trial of the S8 but not for a repeat warning, so we maybe lucky

I only see it on my S7E when I use my Bose BT speaker

Reactions: MRU

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
nope.

in case of the new Samsung S8, it's about hardware as well. My iPhone 7 looks like a 4 year old smartphone (oh wait, its actually an almost 4 year old smartphone) ;) compared to the new Samsung S8.

I am just trying not only defend Samsung or Apple. A lot people here are constantly defending their brand, why? Does Apple (or Samsung) pay these people?
I can ''play'' with both iPhone and Samsung/Android pretty well.
I like both smartphones, but I also just like the open OS of Samsung/Andoid and the beauty of the new Samsung S8 (compared to the ancient iPhone 7)

Four year old phone with one of the best cameras, fastest processors, and best LCD screens of 2016 is a pretty good achievement I think.

Anyway, if there's so many reasons to buy an Android phone beyond customization (and there is, I agree) then not wanting it doesn't make you a "perfect customer for Apple". Nor does Apple decide what you do with your phone. Phil Schiller hasn't come down with a gun and told me what to do with my device. Neither has Tim Cook or Craig Federighi.

I decide what I'm going to do with it and choose the apps that allow me to do what I want.

You say you don't understand why people defend a brand, but all you've done in your post is trite memes about why iOS sucks. I don't understand why you feel the need to attack something just because you prefer something else.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Nor does Apple decide what you do with your phone. Phil Schiller hasn't come down with a gun and told me what to do with my device. Neither has Tim Cook or Craig Federighi.

I decide what I'm going to do with it and choose the apps that allow me to do what I want.

Apple does decide how I can use my data by restricting certain services to wifi only, and refusing to download or update apps over x amount of MB. Then you have lack of default app selection. Would be nice if Apple does something about that come iOS11.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Apple does decide how I can use my data by restricting certain services to wifi only, and refusing to download or update apps over x amount of MB. Then you have lack of default app selection. Would be nice if Apple does something about that come iOS11.
All I want is to be able to place my app icons where I want on the screen. But apparently this has been too difficult for Apple to figure out over the past decade.

Reactions: Geert76

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

Weird, because not selecting default apps hasn't affected how I use my phone. You have a point with the wifi thing, though.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Well I think there is something to be said about comparing to other devices. The question should be if the device runs well enough by itself. If you start comparing it to other devices you will find miliscule differences. It doesn't make one device bad because it runs a millisecond slower than another device. Apart from the original galaxy note which was horrible after a while. The other devices I've used (S4,S5, Note 3) were perfectly fine. I don't nitpick over every detail.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
My S7 edge lagged near the end and all my previous Samsung phones did too.

However

It depends how you use your phone. I overloaded my edge with widgets on pretty much every page and likely a big reason why it lagged but that's how I choose to use my phone due to the features of allowing to do so

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
So another thread in the alternatives ends up turning into a nursery school fight over Apple Vs Samsung ....

Seriously why so much animosity folks. If you have a preference for one over the other, do you really feel the need to slag the other off to be empowered ?

And really why bother. It's all just the same tired ***** repeated ad-nauseum. Why must any minor criticism of a product or company end up turning into this same cat fight ? If you don't agree with the criticism can you not just overlook it ? Why is there this reaction everytime to then slag another device as if to detract from the criticism, thus reverting to same asinine behaviour patterns ?

It's so tiresome to read the same crap everytime anything negative is posted, rather than legitimately discuss the issue raised by a poster, it's just easier to jump on the "yeah but my dad's bigger than your dad" play school battle between 5 year olds ...

Get over it peeps. Seriously.

Do Samsung phones lag ?

Yes occasionally, and the GUI often sporadically drops below the desired 60 FPS causing minor stutters and perceived choppiness. But as the devices have got faster, the instances of it happening are lessened. But Samsung's TW will forever carry around a lot of residual legacy stuff under the hood, but that's just how Samsung have decided to develop touchwiz. For that negative aspect, you have to weigh up all the options and choices it provides and the enhancements to facilitate user experiences over other devices.

The pixels may provide a smoother GUI but the trade off is less features, and they are just as susceptible to issues such as the Bluetooth audio bug that has rendered for many the use of Bluetooth headsets unusable with constant stuttering and dropped audio when listening to music. The recent update to Google play services only having minor improvement to the issue. Likewise issues such as Google Play Music consistently pausing itself mid songs randomly when on a pixel (just check the reviews from pixel users on the play store, it's a known issue) The solution is to unlock your device and stop / start the track which during a gym session run is annoying as hell.

Now these two issues may seem minor, but arguably cause far more pain in the backside to the end users than a hiccup or laggy moment in the GUI.

There are issues and annoyances with all. Accept the device you are purchasing will be flawed in some way because inevitably it will. Nothing is perfect or infallible.

People need to stop the defensive crap, and likewise the deflection to somehow brush any raised criticism under the carpet. Accept the criticism for what it is and you can either agree, disagree or be impassive about it, but stop the "yeah but Apple put me in a walled garden" defense nonsense ffs.

Last edited:

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
Just catching up on this thread from about page 75 (date when phone was released) and its taken me ages ha!

Anyway, here is my problem, I am an iPhone 7+ user with AW S2, I also have an iPad Pro and MacBook Pro so I am somewhat entwined in the Apple Ecosystem, however I do not link any of them together for iMessages etc (apart from the AW and Phone, obviously).

In June of last year I used a standard iPhone 6s - the battery was terrible - lasted until about 7pm (with average usage). I decided to upgrade to the S7 Edge - was a brilliant phone, loved the feel of it in the hand, he screen was beautiful....but it just wasn't an iPhone....I have tried leaving Apple before (HTC, Samsung S4,S5 and S7 Edge) and sometimes went straight back, other times I managed to last 6 months or so.

I then decided to but a iPhone 6s+ to try and solve the battery problems so I returned the Edge under distance selling. With my upgrade I of course went for the iPhone 7+ - unsure why as there is very little difference between the 6s and 7 - but I was somehow annoyed when the phone was delayed on launch day (again not sure why, but Apple does this to you).

I have seen and handled the S8 in Currys but it was tethered (woman has stuck the tether on so hard she had shattered the rear glass). I actually love phone, the form factor, the screen - it just looks amazing. I have a new line on order with EE for launch day (20th) but also have the option of buying it through Very (then selling the IP7+ to pay for it). But here is my dilemma - I am worried that once I get it, it wont be an iPhone and I will want to send it back. I love my iPhone, but feel they are seriously lagging now (in technology) and their phones just old and dated (although the iOS is reliable etc). I also think that maybe in September Apple will launch their new iPhone and it will be the nuts, then I have to sell the S8 - these are all problems that are easily overcome admittedly, but I don't want the hassle of selling a phone on fleabay and having people try to scam me, then for PayPal to hold the money whilst some fool has the option of trying before they buy!

Then there is my ultimate dilemma, my AW which I LOVE! I have checked out the Gear 3 and it looks great, but its not an Apple Watch! Why oh why wont Apple open the watch up to work on Android, they'd make a killing IMO. I dont want to get rid of my AW but I really think the S8 could be the phone to take me away from Apple (at least for now) despite my concerns above!

Sorry for the rant, I dont expect any magic answers here, just venting ha!

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I decided to upgrade to the S7 Edge - was a brilliant phone, loved the feel of it in the hand, he screen was beautiful....but it just wasn't an iPhone....I have tried leaving Apple before (HTC, Samsung S4,S5 and S7 Edge) and sometimes went straight back, other times I managed to last 6 months or so.

This tells you everything you need to know. The S8 will not likely change your mind. Stick with your iPhone. It's ok to prefer it. :)

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Just catching up on this thread from about page 75 (date when phone was released) and its taken me ages ha!

Anyway, here is my problem, I am an iPhone 7+ user with AW S2, I also have an iPad Pro and MacBook Pro so I am somewhat entwined in the Apple Ecosystem, however I do not link any of them together for iMessages etc (apart from the AW and Phone, obviously).

In June of last year I used a standard iPhone 6s - the battery was terrible - lasted until about 7pm (with average usage). I decided to upgrade to the S7 Edge - was a brilliant phone, loved the feel of it in the hand, he screen was beautiful....but it just wasn't an iPhone....I have tried leaving Apple before (HTC, Samsung S4,S5 and S7 Edge) and sometimes went straight back, other times I managed to last 6 months or so.

I then decided to but a iPhone 6s+ to try and solve the battery problems so I returned the Edge under distance selling. With my upgrade I of course went for the iPhone 7+ - unsure why as there is very little difference between the 6s and 7 - but I was somehow annoyed when the phone was delayed on launch day (again not sure why, but Apple does this to you).

I have seen and handled the S8 in Currys but it was tethered (woman has stuck the tether on so hard she had shattered the rear glass). I actually love phone, the form factor, the screen - it just looks amazing. I have a new line on order with EE for launch day (20th) but also have the option of buying it through Very (then selling the IP7+ to pay for it). But here is my dilemma - I am worried that once I get it, it wont be an iPhone and I will want to send it back. I love my iPhone, but feel they are seriously lagging now (in technology) and their phones just old and dated (although the iOS is reliable etc). I also think that maybe in September Apple will launch their new iPhone and it will be the nuts, then I have to sell the S8 - these are all problems that are easily overcome admittedly, but I don't want the hassle of selling a phone on fleabay and having people try to scam me, then for PayPal to hold the money whilst some fool has the option of trying before they buy!

Then there is my ultimate dilemma, my AW which I LOVE! I have checked out the Gear 3 and it looks great, but its not an Apple Watch! Why oh why wont Apple open the watch up to work on Android, they'd make a killing IMO. I dont want to get rid of my AW but I really think the S8 could be the phone to take me away from Apple (at least for now) despite my concerns above!

Sorry for the rant, I dont expect any magic answers here, just venting ha!

Judging from your post, I think you should stick with Apple!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.