Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I bet if you took a look at the majority of these people who have really laggy phones you would find many sideloaded apps, tons of widgets, and lots of memory sucking apps in general. Of course the phone will lag.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Oh thank you. I didn't really know much about those options.

Your welcome :)

If you get a good Ali extending selfie stick and screw it in to the camera and screw the little tripod (or get a bigger mini tripod) you can then start using the camera much better especially on remote from your S7(e) so your not always holding it.

A lot of the google stuff is post processed on your S7(E) which is cool, especially making your own street maps with arrows to next shot etc (ie forwards/backwards/left/right) and even fuzzing out number plates for example

But to do the real 360 virtual tours you need to buy better software or try some of the free ones

Plenty of info here: http://ivrpa.org/about-ivrpa/360-vr-photography-360-video-resources/

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I'm not sure why there is so much denial on the stutter and lag with Galaxy devices. I'm a Samsung fan and at this point I don't care if there are little stutters or dropped frames occasionally because I now prefer the Samsung/Grace UX over both iOS and vanilla Android.

During the months I had the S7 there was noticeable lag when clicking the home button. It was definitely noticeable when compared to the Pixel, which I traded in my S7 for. Pressing home didn't take you to home as quickly on the S7 as it did on the Pixel. There was a slight delay from the time your finger presses home and you see home. Pixel was instant. I refer to that delay as lag. I don't know what else to call it.

And on all of the S8 demo models I've tried, there are dropped frames when swiping up for the app drawer and again dropped frames when opening apps from the app drawer, though it doesn't seem to happen 100% of the time.

Again, like I said, I don't care. I'll accept those things because I prefer the hardware and UX of the S8 over all current competition. But I find it perplexing when people swear that those little stutters and lags don't exist on their specific devices, as if it's just a one-off occurrence for it to happen, even though it has happened for every single Galaxy device I've owned or used in store.

I've posted these same complaints before.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/nexus-n-pixel-xl-2016.1951300/page-62#post-23759153

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm not sure why there is so much denial on the stutter and lag with Galaxy devices. I'm a Samsung fan and at this point I don't care if there are little stutters or dropped frames occasionally because I now prefer the Samsung/Grace UX over both iOS and vanilla Android.

During the months I had the S7 there was noticeable lag when clicking the home button. It was definitely noticeable when compared to the Pixel, which I traded in my S7 for. Pressing home didn't take you to home as quickly on the S7 as it did on the Pixel. There was a slight delay from the time your finger presses home and you see home. Pixel was instant. I refer to that delay as lag. I don't know what else to call it.

And on all of the S8 demo models I've tried, there are dropped frames when swiping up for the app drawer and again dropped frames when opening apps from the app drawer, though it doesn't seem to happen 100% of the time.

Again, like I said, I don't care. I'll accept those things because I prefer the hardware and UX of the S8 over all current competition. But I find it perplexing when people swear that those little stutters and lags don't exist on their specific devices, as if it's just a one-off occurrence for it to happen, even though it has happened for every single Galaxy device I've owned or used in store.

I don't know how many times I've said this: all phones lag.

The Pixel lagged too once in a rare while when trying to open apps. The iPhone certainly can lag (I've witnessed it on my iPad, too). And, as you've said, the S7 lagged on occasion, too (for me, it was the Hangouts app. For whatever reason, that app always took a solid second to open, but not on the Pixel).

All phones lag at times or under certain conditions, and it's usually a difference of milliseconds.

Also, people forget to factor in changing standards as software gets better. For example, the S7E might appear "slower" now that the Pixel has raised the bar. Likewise, the iPhone 6S might appear "slower" now that the iPhone 7 has raised the bar. Etc.

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/nexus-n-pixel-xl-2016.1951300/page-62#post-23759153

Exactly. It's not that they're bad phones. They just lag more than others. It's a trade off. More features. More lag.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
And if the lag is too much for people, there are plenty of other options in the Android space. The end.

I think the frustration though is that this has been a common and frequent complaint for years now and it doesn't seem like Samsung has fully resolved the issue.

For me, if they would fix the lag as well as get rid of that horrible warning that comes up anytime you want to turn your volume up more than halfway, I would seriously consider making a full switch from iOS.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
I think the frustration though is that this has been a common and frequent complaint for years now and it doesn't seem like Samsung has fully resolved the issue.

For me, if they would fix the lag as well as get rid of that horrible warning that comes up anytime you want to turn your volume up more than halfway, I would seriously consider making a full switch from iOS.

That's an EU directive though, isn't it?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

I thought they got rid of the volume thing? When I was beta testing Nougat on my S7E, it seemed like it never popped up again. Or there was a checkbox that said don't warn again? I forget, but I thought that was solved.

If not, fully agree. It was one of my biggest complaints all the back to the S6. It's a very Apple-like thing to do; baby their users with repeated warnings and obnoxious security measures.

As for the lag, it's milliseconds of difference that grows smaller and smaller per iteration of their software. It's a shame that that's stopping people from experiencing all the good that TouchWiz has to offer, but I understand preferences. Thankfully plenty of Android choices.

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
Biggest annoyance ever!!!!!! Please for the live of God, give me the warning once and then let me disable it forever!

Of course , this warning does sound like something the dumba#*es in the EU would mandate.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

It's not the volume warning that bothers me. It's the way the warning blocks you, until you let go of the volume button then press again. Other Android phones have that warning too, but it doesn't momentarily interfere.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I thought they got rid of the volume thing? When I was beta testing Nougat on my S7E, it seemed like it never popped up again. Or there was a checkbox that said don't warn again? I forget, but I thought that was solved.

If not, fully agree. It was one of my biggest complaints all the back to the S6. It's a very Apple-like thing to do; baby their users with repeated warnings and obnoxious security measures.

As for the lag, it's milliseconds of difference that grows smaller and smaller per iteration of their software. It's a shame that that's stopping people from experiencing all the good that TouchWiz has to offer, but I understand preferences. Thankfully plenty of Android choices.

Oh did they get rid of it? Hmmm. That could help.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Am I wrong? Didn't they get rid of that sound warning? Can others with S7-Nougat chime in? I could've sworn they did...

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
As far as I know its from 2013 directive and applies to all mobile devices that play music and come with headsets so not applicable to tablets/Ipads

I understand the only way to avoid it on an IPhone is to jailbreak it or get a non EU version

I've never once seen this warning on the iPhone. Just Samsung devices.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
We almost had duel camera and on screen finger sensor for the S8+. :(

Samsung reportedly invested a lot of money to develop an on-screen fingerprint reader for Galaxy S8

The only frustrating aspect about the design of the Galaxy S8 and S8+ seems to be the placement of the fingerprint sensor. There’s a good chance of the rear-facing camera lens getting smudged due to the abnormal placement of the fingerprint sensor, and Samsung knows that. Why did the company choose to place the fingerprint reader right next to the camera sensor then?

A new report from The Investor claims that Samsung poured a lot of money into Synaptics to help them in developing an on-screen fingerprint reader to allow users a larger-than-ever Infinity Display as well as an easier way for them to unlock their phone. However, Synaptics reportedly failed to develop the technology in time for the mass production of the Galaxy S8 and S8+. As a result, Samsung had no option but to relocate the fingerprint reader beside the rear-facing camera.

Samsung poured resources into Synaptics’ fledgling technology last year, but the results were frustrating. With the production imminent, the company had to decide to relocate the fingerprint scanning home button to the back of the device at the last minute,” a source briefed The Investor on the matter on condition of anonymity. An industry insider told the Korean publication that it’s extremely difficult to make transparent sensors and components

Leaked images of a Galaxy S8+ prototype, which we reported yesterday, showed a dual-camera setup and no fingerprint sensor beside it. Moreover, the Exynos 8895 SoC also supports a dual-camera setup. This leads us to believe that Samsung had plans to use a dual rear-facing camera for the S8+, but had to ditch it to fit the fingerprint sensor without affecting the placement of the battery and wireless charging coils.

Apple is reportedly making efforts to make an iPhone with an on-screen fingerprint reader, which would help it in ditching wide bezels. If Apple debuts an iPhone with such a technology, Samsung would be on the back foot. Currently, China’s Goodix and South Korea’s CrucialTec are said to be working on such on-screen fingerprint readers, and they showcased their technologies at MWC, but no time frame was provided for their commercial launch.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

Exactly. I am not anti Samsung, I think the best phone they made was the Galaxy S4 GPE ( Google Play Edition ), which was the S4 running stock Android, directly updated by Google. At the time when that phone was new, to compare the standard Touchwiz S4 version, next to the S4 GPE version, was night and day difference, in overall smoothness and performance, like a radical difference.

Sure fast forward a few years, and TW has gotten better, but along with their brute force method of state of the art fastest hardware to force it to be smooth. It works mostly, but that lag and hiccups are still there, and they typically come out after the phone ages, 6 months down the road, or one year later.

You want a lag free, or way less lag phone, then get the iPhone 7 Plus, or Pixel XL. Otherwise put up with the acceptable chop the Galaxy line has always had, but seems 99% of the user base is just ignorant to it, and doesn't know they should care.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Exactly. I am not anti Samsung, I think the best phone they made was the Galaxy S4 GPE ( Google Play Edition ), which was the S4 running stock Android, directly updated by Google. At the time when that phone was new, to compare the standard Touchwiz S4 version, next to the S4 GPE version, was night and day difference, in overall smoothness and performance, like a radical difference.

Sure fast forward a few years, and TW has gotten better, but along with their brute force method of state of the art fastest hardware to force it to be smooth. It works mostly, but that lag and hiccups are still there, and they typically come out after the phone ages, 6 months down the road, or one year later.

You want a lag free, or way less lag phone, then get the iPhone 7 Plus, or Pixel XL. Otherwise put up with the acceptable chop the Galaxy line has always had, but seems 99% of the user base is just ignorant to it, and doesn't know they should care.

Imagine what you lose just to gain milliseconds.

With the iPhone, you'd lose the freedom, customization, features, and general ease of use in the software. In the hardware, you'd lose wireless charging, screen technology, and design/ergonomics.

With the Pixel, you'd lose less on the software front, but you'd lose waterproofing and wireless charging, and certainly design.

(Naturally you'd gain other things in those respective examples, too.)

Is that worth it over milliseconds?

Luckily everyone has their choices, but to me, those milliseconds don't count for much. No one is in denial per se; just that this notion of touchwiz lag is not as insane as some are making it out to be. It certainly isn't a deal breaker. Just cause something else comes out later in year that's faster doesn't render the S7, for example, unusable.

Especially since all phones lag. To say "lagfree" is false. You really think the Pixel and iPhone don't have their occasional micro stutter or delayed app opening? I've witnessed it on both (e.g. Saw micro stutters in the google now page on my Pixel. And on the iPhone I've experience a slight delay on occasion when hitting the home button).

I'm all for calling on Samsung to continue their refinements with their software. They have been. Year after year.

Like I said in my s8 play through, it felt like using a Pixel. Touch response was spot on too.

If those milliseconds really do matter, thankfully there are other good Android options.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.