Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
I really love Samsung phones and I really would love to really get my use out of them but I want to see how the phone does in the long run. My S7 Edge is starting to slow down a little even with Nougat. It seemed like it was getting a litter better but still has hints of lag. No matter what Touchwiz will be a resource hog.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Not sure if this has been posted but it looks like the sensor is different

HQHWKp6.jpg

Reactions: nviz22

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Not sure if this has been posted but it looks like the sensor is different

HQHWKp6.jpg

Yeah, but even then there is a strange discrepancy there in that the 'new' IMX333 sensor is showing video resolution as 2.1mp / 1080p rather than 8mp / 3840x2160/4k which is odd.

However, like I said earlier, it really makes no difference as we know it will be a great camera regardless even if in the worst case scenario it was exactly the same as last years sensors, then its still head and shoulders above many others and will give the best of 2017 a run for their money ...

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Im wondering how does Samsung manage to get the best camera?
Apple controls the hardware and software and yet the 7 still cant beat or match the S7 in low light.

I was celebrating someone's birthday at a fancy restaurant and the iPhone completely failed me in moderate lowlight. Everything came out fuzzy and in some cases straight up blurry.

I can't wait to get a more capable Samsung camera again. With the S7E, it was a true worry free experience. I would just point and shoot and it'd give me a reliable photo in almost any lightning condition.

That's part of the main reasons why I stay with Samsung: superior camera and screen experience. There once was a time I'd say that about the iPhone.

These days, after experiencing the Pixel and Samsung's post imaging processes, I honestly feel my iPhone photos are dull and muted. I don't fancy 100% accurate colors when it means my photos don't look good. And I'm not the only one. At outings, when comparing photos, my friends and colleagues would marvel at my S7E photos, literally asking questions like, "how come my iPhone photos don't come out as vibrant and rich?"

Last edited:

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Im wondering how does Samsung manage to get the best camera?
Apple controls the hardware and software and yet the 7 still cant beat or match the S7 in low light.

That is an entire new thread in itself :D

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
From T4rd on the [H];

Just to add to Samsung's software issue argument; Erica Griffin actually mentions it in her GS8 overview here. She recalls how her GS7 Edge has slowed to a crawl a lot during normal operation, despite disabling bloat apps and factory resetting the phone

WATCH SPECIFICALLY STARTING AT THE 9:05 MARK

I personally wouldn't touch these S8 phones, they will lag, hiccup, and have micro stutter, just like the Note 7 did, the S7 Edge absolutely has, the Note 5 lags, the S5 sure did, the S4, etc...

Still the best Android phone out to date, is the Google Pixel XL, but unfortunately that phone is a myth, and really doesn't exist LOL

But that could change. Think about it. Samsung switched to software keys for their bottom three keys (home button, back button, and app switcher button). They make TouchWiz leaner and leaner this time. A lot of people feel that Nougat works well with their S7s/S7Es. So what was the trend might not a trend in a few months. Plus, this is a refined Note 7 minus the battery negligence because there is no way Samsung allows their latest flagship get that dangerous as the Note 7.

Reactions: jamezr

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
A forum member on another site, said this about the new S8s

played with the floor sample at bestbuy over the weekend

i gotta say this is the best looking phone i've ever seen.

but not impressed with the performance.

even with the snapdragon's latest and greatest, the phone still lagged here and there and the phone started getting warm just after a few seconds.

bixby also took forever to load, the image search was pretty useless.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Overall if I were to get the S8 or the G6, I would choose the G6. Better android skin and better fingerprint reader placement.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
My wife and I both had Note 5's they were amazing at lunch. And few months later I got rid if mine for the Nexus 6P at the time. But I recall playing with the wife's Note 5 and man it became a laggy choppy phone six months on. Night and day smoothness difference compared to my 6P then.

And then more recently all my coworkers got S7 Edge's for Christmas for work. I had to help them set them up. And man right out of the box these phones had just very minor micro stutter, was just a tiny little bit of lag here and there. Not much really, but you could tell it was still there.

Now 4 months later, I've asked my coworkers if I could mess around with thier phones for a couple minutes each, and yep the lag was worse and the hiccups more than before. And they're all running Nougat too.

Touchwiz is still a resource hog, and over time it will start lag and get choppy, the older the phone gets. That's not opinion, but a fact.

Stock Android does not do that. And myself with a iPhone 7 Plus for 4 months now, this thing surprisingly is just as silky butter smooth as the day I got it.

At the same time, you're comparing Touchwiz to iOS and stock Android. Stock Android doesn't have as many features as Touchwiz. iOS is very simplistic and focuses on the traditional smartphone experience of having reliable calls, texts, better dev support, and a plethora of apps.

However, iOS is a barren wasteland with making a phone truly yours and individualistic. I had to use iTunes to create a ringtone off my mp3 files. There are no customer launchers to update the outdated iOS 7 look.

A 6P will spoil you because you get, at the time, top specs and a cleaner software experience. But you had to wait till Nougat to get true split screen multi-tasking.

Samsung is about getting the best hardware possible while offering tons of extra features on the software side. Having smart alert is such an underrated feature. Tuning your resolution up and down at will is also a great feature as well. So if you value better software with no frills, nothing will top the Pixel or Nexus with Android. If you want cool features, you go Samsung. If you want a no frills experience, even at a premium, and do not feel tied to Android, you can go iPhone. Choices are good and when you boil it down, there is a simple path to choose from more or less.
[doublepost=1491231817][/doublepost]
Yeah, but even then there is a strange discrepancy there in that the 'new' IMX333 sensor is showing video resolution as 2.1mp / 1080p rather than 8mp / 3840x2160/4k which is odd.

However, like I said earlier, it really makes no difference as we know it will be a great camera regardless even if in the worst case scenario it was exactly the same as last years sensors, then its still head and shoulders above many others and will give the best of 2017 a run for their money ...

Agreed. There will always be a camera better on another phone that comes after you purchase a device. That's why I didn't care about the Pixel XL having the "best DxO Mark score" because I knew the S7 and iPhone 7+ respective cameras provided a good photography experience for my use. If I had a camera like the HTC One M8, then that would make me feel a lot more jealous because of the caliber of cameras on phones today.

The OnePlus 3 camera does a decent job even if it it doesn't match the highest end flagship cameras on the Android market.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

even with the snapdragon's latest and greatest, the phone still lagged here and there and the phone started getting warm just after a few seconds.

I could not judge anything with the Best Buy Samsung demo software clusterclucking everything I tried to do. It would keep popping up and taking over when I least expected. I'm not sure what I was touching to constantly trigger it or if it was set that way. And on one visit the phone did get warm, another time it didn't. We won't really know until people have them in hand, set up the way people want their phones to be set up. There are some apps I would avoid that I like on iOS but heat up the Note 7 and that one in particular was Neko Atsume.

I personally like iOS because it usually keeps apps from running amok--except for Facebook. My God nothing seems to tame FB. In the interest of full disclosure I admit I don't know what FB is like now, but when I last used it around August, it had a mind of its own on iOS and on Android. People would complain and an update would make it behave for awhile and then another update would mess it up again, probably on purpose. It's a shame because I plan on getting the 360 camera and sharing 360 videos of vacations with my cousins, and FB is the best way to do that. But I want to murder that app every time I use it.

Sorry I went off on a tangent again. Anyway, you may be right in everything you're concerned about, but I just think basing it off the Best Buy experience isn't going to serve anyone well.

Honestly I'm not massively worried about it, because the sad truth is that I'll probably end up sending all of my Samsung phones to a premature death in the oven of VR usage anyway. I really don't think VR use is good for the phones. I haven't seen any problems yet but I wonder what it's going to do to the battery life over time.

Speaking of VR, I think it was you that mentioned the S8 is not going to work with Daydream. I finally got to see the Daydream VR Goggles. I have to say I'm not worried about missing that, either. It might be something I'll want to get into on their generation 2, but not generation 1, that cloth is going to get gross. I should have known that if I would have stopped to think about it, but sometimes it takes seeing something in person for facts to really hit me. I have to share my VR headset with the rest of the family. I don't want to be dealing with cloth. I can wipe down the Samsung one great.

Last edited:

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Yeah the BestBuy floor model is about the worst example you can use for real life performance. It's got demo software and random people messing it up all day long. Might have some unfinished software too since it's still three weeks until release.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Here's a good video to get familiar with the new UI. Makes sense now that you can swipe up from anywhere on the screen to bring up the app drawer.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

Then there are the 1000s that love the speed and performance. I used a S8 Plus next to my Pixel XL last night at BB and the S8+ seems to be faster tbh. I had no lag at all and this with a phone that has the demo software on them that usually takes up all the available ram and slows the device down.
I think there are some that just don't like Samsung phones and thats ok. There are some that want to complain and cast stones at devices that aren't a good fit for them.
But what is not a good fit for some.....is a perfect fit for others.......

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I was celebrating someone's birthday at a fancy restaurant and the iPhone completely failed me in moderate lowlight. Everything came out fuzzy and in some cases straight up blurry.

I can't wait to get a more capable Samsung camera again. With the S7E, it was a true worry free experience. I would just point and shoot and it'd give me a reliable photo in almost any lightning condition.

That's part of the main reasons why I stay with Samsung: superior camera and screen experience. There once was a time I'd say that about the iPhone.

These days, after experiencing the Pixel and Samsung's post imaging processes, I honestly feel my iPhone photos are dull and muted. I don't fancy 100% accurate colors when it means my photos don't look good. And I'm not the only one. At outings, when comparing photos, my friends and colleagues would marvel at my S7E photos, literally asking questions like, "how come my iPhone photos don't come out as vibrant and rich?"

I have the same experience. But mainly with focus in any light condition. I get around 1 out of 5 shots from my iPhone 7 Plus that are blurry/fuzzy from a quick point and shoot. The S7 edge and Note 7 never gave me blurry shots no matter how quick I take the shot. I love how quick the autofocus is on the recent Samsung flagships, it really makes a difference.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

What's the point here? You've been trying hard to prove a phone that hasn't been released yet is already a lagfest.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Here's a good video to get familiar with the new UI. Makes sense now that you can swipe up from anywhere on the screen to bring up the app drawer.

Nice find. The way it switched from the app drawer to no app drawer and back again was effortless. Every phone I had that does that usually takes a moment to switch.

Also happy about the real usage battery claims, every review I seen claims they can last a normal day with it.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I think the lag then will never go away from the mindset of people. people who have had legit complaints talk about it online and then it spreads and is in the minds of people and constantly gets recycled. This happens with all kinds of stuff, not just phones and lag.

I agree. I just wish more folks would familiarize themselves with the phrases "Anecdotal evidence" and "small sample size".

Reactions: Demo Kit and jamezr

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It's a shame because I plan on getting the 360 camera and sharing 360 videos of vacations with my cousins, and FB is the best way to do that. But I want to murder that app every time I use it.

I got a Samsung 360 camera last August mainly to do some 360 show house walk throughs for a friend who builds houses, great fun learning

The 360 is easy to post to google and google maps for your own tours too but if you want privacy and free space it's easy to set up an Amazon S3 storage and send links to friends

If you get reasonable software you can make some nice 360 vids that will play on any device or laptop. I found the bundled Samsung software a bit limited maybe they have revamped it for the new release.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I got a Samsung 360 camera last August mainly to do some 360 show house walk throughs for a friend who builds houses, great fun learning

The 360 is easy to post to google and google maps for your own tours too but if you want privacy and free space it's easy to set up an Amazon S3 storage and send links to friends

If you get reasonable software you can make some nice 360 vids that will play on any device or laptop. I found the bundled Samsung software a bit limited maybe they have revamped it for the new release.
Oh thank you. I didn't really know much about those options.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
This is why I don't bother responding to "lag" posts. This is a problem of yesteryears' that's been more or less put to rest.

Besides, all phones lag to varying degrees or under certain conditions. Any difference in direct comparison tends to be tiny (we're talking about milliseconds here, folks).

Standards also change as software gets better. For example, the S7E might appear "slower" now that the Pixel has raised the bar. Likewise, the iPhone 6S might appear "slower" now that the iPhone 7 has raised the bar. During my experience with S7E on Nougat, it was incredibly fast and smooth -- faster and smoother than when it was first released -- and that was in beta. So go figure.

Either way, if Samsung phones lag too much for certain people, they have plenty of other options in the Android space. I'll happily take TouchWiz's useful features.

As I said in my original S8 impressions, the phone not only did not exhibit any lag, there was actually a really nice buttery smoothness to it, not unlike the Pixel. And touch response, from what I could perceive, was incredibly quick. Again, not unlike the Pixel. And it's not surprising because Samsung was expected to use in-cell touch screen technology that cuts down on touch response time. Not sure if that was confirmed. It was in the Note 7.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.