Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Got a hands on with an S8+ today in CPW.

Well, it was bolstered down onto a display unit so I couldn't pick it up or turn it over which was annoying.

They didn't have the normal size so I could only check the Plus.

I liked it but I wasn't blown away. There was no network connected so couldn't do anything on the phone like use the internet, YouTube etc. Couldn't even change the wallpaper as it was a restricted demo unit.

They had the black one, which I wasn't massively struck on. Black phones don't do it for me as much these days, although I go through phases and at the minute I'm off them!

The screen seemed really tall as others have mentioned and I'm not sure whether it may have been too tall for me especially with that fingerprint scanner. The scanner also felt tiny. Would without doubt get annoyed with that. Thankfully there are other options.

I was all ready to move back to Android with this device but now I'm not 100% sure.
It's a lovely screen but Samsung's skin seems to be a lot more prevalent on this device than it was on the Note 7 when I had that.
The swipe left for the whole Bixby thing is a little annoying but I'm guessing that can be turned off?
When I was in the camera settings it kept motioning for Bixby to get involved too which was also annoying.
Obviously, it was a demo so this is always going to happen in demo mode, but it just seemed like it was being rammed down my throat a lot.

The Note 7's software was the best I have seen on a Samsung, but this wasn't as enjoyable.

I'm a bit on the fence still to be honest.
I saw the S8/S8+ in PC world yesterday and yes it was the same set up as CPW. Only black on display, bolted down and no internet. I really wanted to see the orchid grey and see if I could get to grips with the sensor but I couldn't even hold the thing properly as the security bolt was getting in the way. I need to go and have a look at a another shop next week.

Reactions: Aneres11

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Got a hands on with an S8+ today in CPW.

Well, it was bolstered down onto a display unit so I couldn't pick it up or turn it over which was annoying.

They didn't have the normal size so I could only check the Plus.

I liked it but I wasn't blown away. There was no network connected so couldn't do anything on the phone like use the internet, YouTube etc. Couldn't even change the wallpaper as it was a restricted demo unit.

They had the black one, which I wasn't massively struck on. Black phones don't do it for me as much these days, although I go through phases and at the minute I'm off them!

The screen seemed really tall as others have mentioned and I'm not sure whether it may have been too tall for me especially with that fingerprint scanner. The scanner also felt tiny. Would without doubt get annoyed with that. Thankfully there are other options.

I was all ready to move back to Android with this device but now I'm not 100% sure.
It's a lovely screen but Samsung's skin seems to be a lot more prevalent on this device than it was on the Note 7 when I had that.
The swipe left for the whole Bixby thing is a little annoying but I'm guessing that can be turned off?
When I was in the camera settings it kept motioning for Bixby to get involved too which was also annoying.
Obviously, it was a demo so this is always going to happen in demo mode, but it just seemed like it was being rammed down my throat a lot.

The Note 7's software was the best I have seen on a Samsung, but this wasn't as enjoyable.

I'm a bit on the fence still to be honest.
Demo mode in Best Buy in America is horrific as well. I would try to test things and the demo software kept intruding and I would get frustrated and distracted trying to get rid of it that I forgot half of the things I meant to check. But at least the generous tethers let me hold and handle the phone and carry it over to compare to other Samsungs on the table.

I did NOT like the new look at all when I first saw the leaks and was very set on getting an LG G6. And it remains to be seen how this latest version of Touchwiz holds up over time. I'm not sure how to explain the transition of my mindset to not just accepting the new form factor but becoming enthusiastic.

I'm also very enthusiastic about the possibilities for the upcoming new iPhone. The fact I don't plan on getting it has nothing to do with anticipating it won't be worthwhile. It's just that my current iPhone was a beautiful surprise Christmas gift from my husband, who went out of his way to engineer the surprise for maximum impact, so the sentimental value is strong. From a practical standpoint it meets every one of my criteria for excellence so I would feel it a waste not to get more time with it.

So anyway there are many reasons for people to sit on the fence in the face of the debut of a "new sensation" and I respect them. You have to do what's right for you, but I'm glad you contributed to this discussion as you made good points.

I think Bixby has great potential but right now it's hard to evaluate, especially in pre release form.
[doublepost=1491145776][/doublepost]
I bought a new car that I pick up this week that has a built in qi charger. I really hope the S8+ fits in the area. That would suck if it did not fit. :(
Congratulations on the new car!

My husband has a GM truck with a Qi charger in the center console. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work very well so we used wired charging most of the time. I think the S8 + would fit in ours. I need to go stick my iPhone 7Plus in its case in it to see if it fits. If it does, the S8+ surely will.

Reactions: Aneres11

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The SE, but before that the nexus 5, moto x, iPhone 7. It's the actual screen real estate that's too big.
I can see how you'd feel that way. For me, it all depends on what switch I have flipped in my brain. There are times I just want my SE, and not just because it tucks into my pocket so well.

Reactions: MRU

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Even in America, trending this way would be great for students. Anything to lighten the load in the backpacks would be welcome. I'm 50 so when I was in college we had to carry around folders or binders and printed study guides and huge textbooks. It was great for building up strength--hard to find even girls who didn't have great biceps, lol, but it was hard on the back. Now the kids are carrying laptops and tablets.

But imagine how great it would be if there were these docks and monitors at the libraries and study nooks that they could use with their phones and not even have to carry laptops or iPads. Then they could use one at home or in the dorm.

Exactly! It would be great, and reduce the cost for many.

Those libraries, colleges, universities etc... would also not have to put as much money into buying newer laptops and desktops, just ensure they have docks that support the standard platform.

Here's to hoping this awesome dream comes true! :D

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Those libraries, colleges, universities etc... would also not have to put as much money into buying newer laptops and desktops, just ensure they have docks that support the standard platform.

That really could be the future. It also makes dropping $1000 on a phone easier to swallow.

Reactions: 5105973

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The SE, but before that the nexus 5, moto x, iPhone 7. It's the actual screen real estate that's too big.

Sadly we will never get the fantastic ergonomics of the original Moto X ever again sadly ... Imagine the Moto X sized device (with its nice curve back and dimple (fingerprint scanner where the dimple was)) and with the entire front taken up by an edge to edge screen (no bezel) and flat ..... drool ...... we can but wish

Reactions: mattopotamus

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

My husband works very closely with the administration of our alma mater due to the vast amounts of recruitment he's done there, also his dad worked there for a few years and still has contacts. While he's sort of lukewarm and withholding enthusiasm for the S8 itself, he is very interested in how DeX turns out. He believes something like this will be important in the future if companies don't muck it up.

If it takes off, I'm pretty sure he will pitch the scenario I mentioned to some powers-that-be at our university...whether they listen to him without his promising to help fund something like that, I don't know. We aren't the Rockefellers so, lol...good luck with that. The university was always hitting me up for donations even when I was trying to survive on minimum wage after graduation during a regional micro recession and after not being able to get a job even at their book store. Now over 25 years later they are obnoxious at shaking down alumni whether they've done well or not, but especially if they've done well. They treated my husband like rubbish as a student so he's not exactly in love with them. I give them the stink eye o_O because they waste tons of money from the state slapping names of politicians on their constantly refurbished buildings while campus security is at an abysmal low, especially for female students safety. But I digress.

He had thought Apple would be first out of the gate with this paradigm after Microsoft failed to make a go of it, but that didn't happen. But you know Apple, they like taking their time perfecting things so they could still take the game. The big question is will customers see utility in this or will everyone dismiss it as niche. It really doesn't matter to the consumer who does it, I guess, as long as someone does it, does it well, and circumstances smile on it to go mainstream.

It will be interesting to see if Samsung has enough marketing presence to get lets under this. Microsoft didn't have enough market share. Also, I'm not sure how well Continuum worked. I expressed interest in it but my husband talked me out of buying into it because he saw how dead things were for them.

Reactions: Tsepz

garymontague

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2010
Has anyone in the U.K. seen these on display anywhere? Worried I should have ordered the S8+ rather than S8 so wanted to check them out

Had a look today as I have both on preorder and needed to see which I preferred and to cancel the other.

Went into CPW and EE but could only handle them tethered so could not really get a feel for them. At that point I was leaning towards the regular S8.

I then went into Vodafone and they had the phones again tethered so was about to leave when a Samsung rep came over asking if he could help. I told him I was trying to decide on which size but it was difficult as I couldn't really get a feel of the tethered phones. He then pulled out a phone from his pocket for me to hold. At first I initially thought it was the S8 as it felt nice in the hand and not too wide like my iP7+, but it was actually the S8+. Unfortunately he never had a S8 to handle but he didn't need to. The fact the the S8+ felt comfortable to hold (more so than my iP7+) was enough for me to make my decision and the fact it is only slightly taller than the iP7+ with a much bigger screen is the icing on the cake.

As for the colours I prefer the black to the orchid grey but that's just me. Orchid grey is nice, just preferred the black.

In short if you can try to handle the phones untethered as it obviously does make a big difference in how they feel in the hand.

Bring on the 20th

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
It will be interesting to see if Samsung has enough marketing presence to get lets under this. Microsoft didn't have enough market share. Also, I'm not sure how well Continuum worked. I expressed interest in it but my husband talked me out of buying into it because he saw how dead things were for them.

I had a loaner 950 XL with the Continuum dock, and based on that experience DeX doesn't have to do wonders to make it a better experience. If you were doing pretty much anything outside the Office apps domain, you were hitting limitations all the time and certain apps would tell you to open them on the phone instead. Yes, I just sat down in front of my desktop setup, hooked up everything and then the app tells me to use the phone instead. Umm, how about no? If DeX hasn't been totally fumbled, it should be a better experience.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Sadly we will never get the fantastic ergonomics of the original Moto X ever again sadly ... Imagine the Moto X sized device (with its nice curve back and dimple (fingerprint scanner where the dimple was)) and with the entire front taken up by an edge to edge screen (no bezel) and flat ..... drool ...... we can but wish
Man, that phone was a dream to hold. IPhone 6/6S/7 are the next best, but nothing beats that old moto X with curved back.

Reactions: MRU

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
http://www.phonearena.com/phones/si...amsung-Galaxy-S8/phones/9817,9818,10312,10311

18c3l3.png

2e1a92g.png
Interesting. Good pics, thanks. So the GS8 isnt much bigger than I thought than the GS7 flat screen. That might be doable but I'm still not in a rush to get one. Maybe later when the price goes down.

Reactions: 5105973

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
That picture makes the S7 look much bigger. In the hand the S7 is noticeably smaller than the S7E, yet they look near identical on that pic. I think images like this can be deceiving, its gonna be a case of seeing and trying the device in hand to make a choice of if its size is suitable to you.

Also some reviewers/folks have put the S8 taller than the S7E in hands-on videos where they lay the S8 on top of the S7E and yet in that image it makes it look shorter (less tall) ?

I will be at least going to the stores and seeing if I can at least see an S8 in person myself and to see if ergonomics have improved before I decide whether to go down the LG route (as it's looking like LG won't officially release G6 here, which means buying blind and importing which I hate) or just based on all your feedback when you have them, maybe give the S8 a go ....

I'm not rushing into any decisions though, I still have a cupboard full (€200 worth) of note 7 accessories staring back at me .....
I'm seeing a smaller S7 there than the s7 edge.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
My husband works very closely with the administration of our alma mater due to the vast amounts of recruitment he's done there, also his dad worked there for a few years and still has contacts. While he's sort of lukewarm and withholding enthusiasm for the S8 itself, he is very interested in how DeX turns out. He believes something like this will be important in the future if companies don't muck it up.

If it takes off, I'm pretty sure he will pitch the scenario I mentioned to some powers-that-be at our university...whether they listen to him without his promising to help fund something like that, I don't know. We aren't the Rockefellers so, lol...good luck with that. The university was always hitting me up for donations even when I was trying to survive on minimum wage after graduation during a regional micro recession and after not being able to get a job even at their book store. Now over 25 years later they are obnoxious at shaking down alumni whether they've done well or not, but especially if they've done well. They treated my husband like rubbish as a student so he's not exactly in love with them. I give them the stink eye o_O because they waste tons of money from the state slapping names of politicians on their constantly refurbished buildings while campus security is at an abysmal low, especially for female students safety. But I digress.

He had thought Apple would be first out of the gate with this paradigm after Microsoft failed to make a go of it, but that didn't happen. But you know Apple, they like taking their time perfecting things so they could still take the game. The big question is will customers see utility in this or will everyone dismiss it as niche. It really doesn't matter to the consumer who does it, I guess, as long as someone does it, does it well, and circumstances smile on it to go mainstream.

What has Apple perfected? Siri? Maps? The bugs they still have? They seem to have the same issues everyone else does.

CC117

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Had a look today as I have both on preorder and needed to see which I preferred and to cancel the other.

Went into CPW and EE but could only handle them tethered so could not really get a feel for them. At that point I was leaning towards the regular S8.

I then went into Vodafone and they had the phones again tethered so was about to leave when a Samsung rep came over asking if he could help. I told him I was trying to decide on which size but it was difficult as I couldn't really get a feel of the tethered phones. He then pulled out a phone from his pocket for me to hold. At first I initially thought it was the S8 as it felt nice in the hand and not too wide like my iP7+, but it was actually the S8+. Unfortunately he never had a S8 to handle but he didn't need to. The fact the the S8+ felt comfortable to hold (more so than my iP7+) was enough for me to make my decision and the fact it is only slightly taller than the iP7+ with a much bigger screen is the icing on the cake.

As for the colours I prefer the black to the orchid grey but that's just me. Orchid grey is nice, just preferred the black.

In short if you can try to handle the phones untethered as it obviously does make a big difference in how they feel in the hand.

Bring on the 20th

Thank you for this. I'm going tomorrow to a few stores to see if I can get my hands on the plus. My 7+ is just ever so slightly uncomfortable to hold which is why I went for the s8, but if the s8+ is more comfortable than my 7+ then I might go that way. I love a bigger screen so makes sense.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
From T4rd on the [H];

Just to add to Samsung's software issue argument; Erica Griffin actually mentions it in her GS8 overview here. She recalls how her GS7 Edge has slowed to a crawl a lot during normal operation, despite disabling bloat apps and factory resetting the phone

WATCH SPECIFICALLY STARTING AT THE 9:05 MARK

I personally wouldn't touch these S8 phones, they will lag, hiccup, and have micro stutter, just like the Note 7 did, the S7 Edge absolutely has, the Note 5 lags, the S5 sure did, the S4, etc...

Still the best Android phone out to date, is the Google Pixel XL, but unfortunately that phone is a myth, and really doesn't exist LOL

Reactions: mjschabow

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
From T4rd on the [H];

Just to add to Samsung's software issue argument; Erica Griffin actually mentions it in her GS8 overview here. She recalls how her GS7 Edge has slowed to a crawl a lot during normal operation, despite disabling bloat apps and factory resetting the phone

WATCH SPECIFICALLY STARTING AT THE 9:05 MARK

I personally wouldn't touch these S8 phones, they will lag, hiccup, and have micro stutter, just like the Note 7 did, the S7 Edge absolutely has, the Note 5 lags, the S5 sure did, the S4, etc...

Still the best Android phone out to date, is the Google Pixel XL, but unfortunately that phone is a myth, and really doesn't exist LOL

I had no issues with the S7 edge nor the Note 7. And I've had the 6S Plus along with the S7 Edge and got the 7 Plus while I was using the Note 7, and I still seen no noticeable difference in speed between the two.

Not saying some didn't have issues with the S7 edge, but that's the minority.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
T-Mobile Galaxy S8 gets unboxed under water......

I did the shark cage experience in my Gear VR. Did any of you guys do that, yet? They used it in demo units a lot last year so I think a lot of people have tried it in stores, at least. Good Lord is that scary as crap!:eek::eek::eek: It almost feels real because the VR headset feels a bit like a snorkel mask. And the VR is just so good and because you're supposed to be in murky water anyway, the screendoor effect of our current primitive state of VR optics isn't distracting and sort of even merges into the experience. All that is missing is the cold wet squishy feeling! And you quickly forget that when the Great White starts hitting the cage to get at you. I had so much fun watching my mother-in-law run that simulation!

Anyway, as a result of that experience I can't imagine doing an unboxing in a shark cage. That is crazy! It's crazy you can even do that with a phone. But to me it's a precaution. I'm not counting on the waterproofing at all. I'm still going to be careful. I will damn sure not be doing selfies with sharks! :confused::eek:
[doublepost=1491168521][/doublepost]
Another DeX demo

Ack dude be givin us the finger! :eek:

Reactions: jamezr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.