Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
If someone can find a pic adding a GS7 next to that GS8, that would be cool.
[doublepost=1491092121][/doublepost]
Lol...we've got stacks of keyboards, mouses and a few monitors, too. I sometimes feel like I'm living in a repair depot. Not all of it is ours. My dad gives us his old stuff sometimes.
[doublepost=1491074770][/doublepost]
The Orchid Grey is a very dignified shade, which is not something I'd ever think purple could be on a phone. It is not a scary purple, though if you wanted to go a bit more flamboyant you could get a very purple case to bring out the purple in it. But you can just as easily make it understated in a grey or black case. It might even look okay in brown leather, but color selection would need to be done carefully to avoid a clash. They really did a lovely job on it. With a color like purple it could have gone so horribly in a direction that's too "grape" for western tastes. Somehow they managed to pull off elegance.

I'm going to get some goofy fun cases for it to go along with my ninja kitty headphone jack charm when I take the kids out for Pokémon Go hunting. And then some classy cases for going out and general purpose.
Yeah thats another bummer. All the color choices suck.....again! I dont like to get black phones anymore. Loved the white ones but the GS7 didnt come in white and i have a gold one and dont like it. The silver was cool but that didnt come with the flat screen GS7's.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
If someone can find a pic of a GS7 next to that GS8, that would be better. I dont care how big the iPhone 7 is. Unless Samsung and everybody else just screws things up so bad for Android phones,....like all being too big, im never getting an iPhone.
Yeah thats another bummer. All the color choices suck.....again! I dont like to get black phones anymore. Loved the white ones but the GS7 didnt come in white and i have a gold one and dont like it. The silver was cool but that didnt come with the flat screen GS7's.
Here is the S7 edge and S8

00de7faeff8f1b1c7ef69296dfff9170.jpg

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Wow, really?:eek: I'm really tiny, like 5'2" and thought the S8 was very comfortable. The S8+ is a bit of a beast but I'm used to typing on my iPad mini with two thumbs when I visit this forum, and holding it in one hand when I surf the web or read news, so it's not that bad. And I use an iPhone 7Plus. I guess everyone has a different perspective and it depends what you're used to. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

lol.. I'm heading out to visit them again! I can't wait for delivery day.
I am the same although a bit taller, 5''3 and seem to enjoy wielding these big phones about lol

If I've managed All the plus iPhones and the original galaxy note then the S8 + should be fine.
[doublepost=1491099332][/doublepost]
If someone can find a pic adding a GS7 next to that GS8, that would be cool.
Yeah the colours are rubbish. In the U.K. We don't even get the silver just the grey and black. I haven't seen the grey yet but I'm dubious as it looks like my husbands s6 edge plus in the videos. I need to see it in person before I decide which colour to get but it might be the black. I would have loved the gold.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
When the Samsung site for the US first went live with the phones they showed all the colors and then I checked later and it was gone. So I guess that was a mistake. I never understood why the Asian phone makers make colors region-restricted. There must be some economic reason, I suppose. The black color reminds me very much of the jet black on the iPhones. In fact it could be easy to confuse the two under certain circumstances. And that's not an insult. I think the jet black iPhone is gorgeous.

I took my Sony earbuds in with me tonight and tested the sound quality on both sizes of the S8. My Sonys aren't super high end but I've had them for years and used them across many different devices so I have a good idea of how they sound on good DACs and mediocre ones. I'm happy to say the S8 sounded really nice. I see they've brought over the same sound controls the Note 7 had. I was able to tune the sound to my liking.

And yes, like a grandma, the software still nags you about turning the volume too high.

Now there was a lot of ambient noise and these earbuds have no noise cancelling capability so I couldn't evaluate the way I would have liked an I was restricted to their preloaded play list. But I can already tell I will be very happy with the wired sound. Anything is better than the sound of my iPhone over my Beats Studio wireless...which isn't as horrible as I once thought but still is mushy.

I was very rushed as we were heading over to pick up some dinner so I didn't get to test the camera color accuracy against that of my iPhone. I would have forgotten to do so anyway. I always tense up a little playing with demo models because I'm conscious of other people wanting their turn and don't want to be a hog. I shall find out soon enough anyway, I suppose.

I definitely made the right choice for myself canceling my S8 order and putting in the S8+ order. A second look reaffirmed my decision. Both are beautiful and impressive in their own way, but I will get more utility for myself with the larger display, given that I use my phones to look at photos and home videos so much.

Oh and I finally got to see Pixel phones in person! They have really nice LCD displays. But I couldn't really do much with them the way they were set up. One was stuck in provisioning mode and the smaller one just didn't have much in the way of working software. I'll have to be honest and say the aesthetics aren't my cup of tea. There is a bit of a rough unfinished look to them I wasn't expecting for their price point, and the fact they looked so nice in the pictures I've seen.

Reactions: Demo Kit

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Wow, really?:eek: I'm really tiny, like 5'2" and thought the S8 was very comfortable. The S8+ is a bit of a beast but I'm used to typing on my iPad mini with two thumbs when I visit this forum, and holding it in one hand when I surf the web or read news, so it's not that bad. And I use an iPhone 7Plus. I guess everyone has a different perspective and it depends what you're used to. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

lol.. I'm heading out to visit them again! I can't wait for delivery day.

Probably a whole thread on it's own but I understand case studies have shown that the younger generation (sub 25) are more likely to have far greater dexterity in their thumbs (due to growing up with game boys etc) than older generations who still have a greater bias for index fingers although most easily use 2 thumbs in a landscape mode.

Personally using mobiles for over 20 years I have not got to grips with one handed operation The nearest being with the Sony Ericsson P900 that had a unique thumb 5 axis wheel. Even though I hope FP sensors go one day for my use the rear FP sensor seems in a logical position for holding in the left hand, however I can see some adjustments are required for those that use flip cases and on the odd occasion when the phone is on the table and you just want to see the time for example, but if AO is better this time it should cover that one or just flip to switch on.

Maybe this is why I have higher hopes than some for IR and FR :). Given that Samsung and many other OEM's etc still produce a vast range of flip and full covers which tend to impede one hand operation I still think there is plenty of us 2 handed users around :D

Last edited:

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I went to BestBuy and played with both models today. I initially picked up one and thought how small it felt and then went to look for the s8+ but I realized I was already holding it. The regular s8 felt too small to me. I have large hands and fingers so I had no trouble reaching the FP scanner. I'm very happy I pre ordered the 8+.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
I refuse to see it in person until my S8 plus pre-order arrives. I want that first time feeling. I'm corny like that.:p

Yeah, I was going to wait. Well, my girlfriend needed something from Bestbuy so I went with her. After awhile, I got the urge. They're both sexy as hell. Compared to my Note 5, the S8 is pretty small with a big screen.

In the fall, I'm getting the Note 8. So, I didn't feel it was worth it to put out $130 for the S8+. For me, the S8 will do fine. For others, the S8+ is a little tall but not unwieldy. If I wasn't getting the Note 8, I would have ordered the S8+.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah, I was going to wait. Well, my girlfriend needed something from Bestbuy so I went with her. After awhile, I got the urge. They're both sexy as hell. Compared to my Note 5, the S8 is pretty small with a big screen.

In the fall, I'm getting the Note 8. So, I didn't feel it was worth it to put out $130 for the S8+. For me, the S8 will do fine. For others, the S8+ is a little tall but not unwieldy. If I wasn't getting the Note 8, I would have ordered the S8+.
That's what I originally thought...I'd get the little S8 because I plan to get the Note 8. Then I saw it. So much for my plans.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

If I still had a recent Samsung Phone, I would wait. But my wireless fast charging stand is collecting dust, and I miss the VR.

Reactions: rhinosrcool

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
When the Samsung site for the US first went live with the phones they showed all the colors and then I checked later and it was gone. So I guess that was a mistake. I never understood why the Asian phone makers make colors region-restricted. There must be some economic reason, I suppose. The black color reminds me very much of the jet black on the iPhones. In fact it could be easy to confuse the two under certain circumstances. And that's not an insult. I think the jet black iPhone is gorgeous.

I took my Sony earbuds in with me tonight and tested the sound quality on both sizes of the S8. My Sonys aren't super high end but I've had them for years and used them across many different devices so I have a good idea of how they sound on good DACs and mediocre ones. I'm happy to say the S8 sounded really nice. I see they've brought over the same sound controls the Note 7 had. I was able to tune the sound to my liking.

And yes, like a grandma, the software still nags you about turning the volume too high.

Now there was a lot of ambient noise and these earbuds have no noise cancelling capability so I couldn't evaluate the way I would have liked an I was restricted to their preloaded play list. But I can already tell I will be very happy with the wired sound. Anything is better than the sound of my iPhone over my Beats Studio wireless...which isn't as horrible as I once thought but still is mushy.

I was very rushed as we were heading over to pick up some dinner so I didn't get to test the camera color accuracy against that of my iPhone. I would have forgotten to do so anyway. I always tense up a little playing with demo models because I'm conscious of other people wanting their turn and don't want to be a hog. I shall find out soon enough anyway, I suppose.

I definitely made the right choice for myself canceling my S8 order and putting in the S8+ order. A second look reaffirmed my decision. Both are beautiful and impressive in their own way, but I will get more utility for myself with the larger display, given that I use my phones to look at photos and home videos so much.

Oh and I finally got to see Pixel phones in person! They have really nice LCD displays. But I couldn't really do much with them the way they were set up. One was stuck in provisioning mode and the smaller one just didn't have much in the way of working software. I'll have to be honest and say the aesthetics aren't my cup of tea. There is a bit of a rough unfinished look to them I wasn't expecting for their price point, and the fact they looked so nice in the pictures I've seen.

Maybe it's just me but I don't like beats headphones. I have a pair of beats solo headphones at home that I never use as I also find the sound mushy and muffled. They also give me a headache after I use them for longer than an hour. I also bought pair of ur beats earphones but I returned them because they kept falling out of my ears and I wasn't impressed with the sound quality. It will be interesting to see how these new AKG earbuds sound. I'm not an audiophile at all. I do have some Sennheiser headphones and earbuds at home and I recognise that they sound good but most of the time I just prefer to use the Apple EarPods and now the airpods. So it won't take a lot to impress me. The reason I've never used the Samsung headphones that came in the box previously is because they aren't comfortable in my ears.

I think Gold is supposed to be a popular colour in the Far East. However that doesn't mean that we don't like it in the west. I think gold is a universal colour more so than pink.
[doublepost=1491118980][/doublepost]
Probably a whole thread on it's own but I understand case studies have shown that the younger generation (sub 25) are more likely to have far greater dexterity in their thumbs (due to growing up with game boys etc) than older generations who still have a greater bias for index fingers although most easily use 2 thumbs in a landscape mode.

Personally using mobiles for over 20 years I have not got to grips with one handed operation The nearest being with the Sony Ericsson P900 that had a unique thumb 5 axis wheel. Even though I hope FP sensors go one day for my use the rear FP sensor seems in a logical position for holding in the left hand, however I can see some adjustments are required for those that use flip cases and on the odd occasion when the phone is on the table and you just want to see the time for example, but if AO is better this time it should cover that one or just flip to switch on.

Maybe this is why I have higher hopes than some for IR and FR :). Given that Samsung and many other OEM's etc still produce a vast range of flip and full covers which tend to impede one hand operation I still think there is plenty of us 2 handed users around :D
I'm a two handed user. The only time I use my phone with one hand is if my other hand is restricted, say for example I'm using it to hold on on a crowded tube (subway). Otherwise it's two handed. I never understand when I see people complaining about not being able to use a phone with one hand. Must be an age thing as you said.

Last edited:

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Portability and simplicity. Love the way the stand folds down into a puck.

I travel a lot, so this would mean I can leave my Google Cast and Amazon Stick at home.

You can hook it up to any display with a HDMI input. Not just monitors.

I sometimes play mobile games like NFS most Wanted on my TV via Mirroring from phone, but there is always lag, even if it's minimal. Dex would eliminate lag when playing mobile games on the big screen.

The times when my internet is down, which is rare. Instead of wasting my tether cap. I can just use Dex and it will be using my unlimited LTE instead.

I already have two Logitech K400 Keyboards with built in touch pad, which uses a USB dongle. Extremely cheap and batteries last for months. So that's not an issue being that Dex has two USB ports.

Also, using Remote desktop with it is a huge plus.

Dex is far from being necessary, but I'm interested enough in it's advantages to give it a try.
This! I just love where they are trying to go with it.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
What's the attraction of Dex, especially if you already have a fully functional PC?

Serious question, not trying to snarky---I'm just trying to understand the use case for DeX. Would you replace your AiO with it? And wouldn't that then require purchasing all the peripherals, i.e. keyboard, monitor, mouse?
So for me it's not just about what it can do for me, but here on the African continent laptops and desktops have not seen the huge wide adoption in homes the way Smartphones have. People have flat screen TVs with HDMI and Smartphones but chances are no laptop or desktop.

Having universal docks similar to Dex could be for many developing countries the way forward.

Yes, right now it's just for high end phones, but soon enough mid to low end Smartphones will be capable of handling all this, and that is part of what excites me.

Also the idea of having docks in airports, libraries etc.. where there is a monitor, keyboard and mouse and you may just come and plug in your phone and do some quick bit of work, edit that report or brief send it off and unplug, and slip your phone back into your pocket, is just awesome.

Imagine a point where you do not necessarily need to fly with your laptop on a quick business trip, your Smartphone has everything, you get to the meeting, plug in and boom.

All this is already possible but with Docks like DeX, its a whole lot more convenient

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
So for me it's not just about what it can do for me, but here on the African continent laptops and desktops have not seen the huge wide adoption in homes the way Smartphones have. People have flat screen TVs with HDMI and Smartphones but chances are no laptop or desktop.

Having universal docks similar to Dex could be for many developing countries the way forward.

Yes, right now it's just for high end phones, but soon enough mid to low end Smartphones will be capable of handling all this, and that is part of what excites me.

Also the idea of having docks in airports, libraries etc.. where there is a monitor, keyboard and mouse and you may just come and plug in your phone and do some quick bit of work, edit that report or brief send it off and unplug, and slip your phone back into your pocket, is just awesome.

Imagine a point where you do not necessarily need to fly with your laptop on a quick business trip, your Smartphone has everything, you get to the meeting, plug in and boom.

All this is already possible but with Docks like DeX, its a whole lot more convenient
It just seems way more convenient to me. I have a MacBook but not a desktop. I can't be bothered with a desktop. I barely use my MacBook but I keep it around in fear that I will need to use it for something that my iPad/ iPhone can't do. Even when I bought it in 2015 I'd stopped using my windows laptop years before. I'd been using a chromebook and never needed to use the laptop. So I left that to my husband to use and he broke that and then he broke my chromebook He doesn't get to use my phone or tablets. He's constantly breaking his phones and then refuses to get them fixed even though he has insurance (at my insistence ). It was so bad last year he smashed the screen on his phone and carried on using it for 6 month. Then the charging port stopped working so he started using wireless charging and when that stopped working he was still dithering about and I had to just call the phone company and get them to replace it under the insurance.

If I could do away with my MacBook I would. So DeX sounds wonderful to me.

CC117

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2013
Has anyone in the U.K. seen these on display anywhere? Worried I should have ordered the S8+ rather than S8 so wanted to check them out

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Got a hands on with an S8+ today in CPW.

Well, it was bolstered down onto a display unit so I couldn't pick it up or turn it over which was annoying.

They didn't have the normal size so I could only check the Plus.

I liked it but I wasn't blown away. There was no network connected so couldn't do anything on the phone like use the internet, YouTube etc. Couldn't even change the wallpaper as it was a restricted demo unit.

They had the black one, which I wasn't massively struck on. Black phones don't do it for me as much these days, although I go through phases and at the minute I'm off them!

The screen seemed really tall as others have mentioned and I'm not sure whether it may have been too tall for me especially with that fingerprint scanner. The scanner also felt tiny. Would without doubt get annoyed with that. Thankfully there are other options.

I was all ready to move back to Android with this device but now I'm not 100% sure.
It's a lovely screen but Samsung's skin seems to be a lot more prevalent on this device than it was on the Note 7 when I had that.
The swipe left for the whole Bixby thing is a little annoying but I'm guessing that can be turned off?
When I was in the camera settings it kept motioning for Bixby to get involved too which was also annoying.
Obviously, it was a demo so this is always going to happen in demo mode, but it just seemed like it was being rammed down my throat a lot.

The Note 7's software was the best I have seen on a Samsung, but this wasn't as enjoyable.

I'm a bit on the fence still to be honest.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Even in America, trending this way would be great for students. Anything to lighten the load in the backpacks would be welcome. I'm 50 so when I was in college we had to carry around folders or binders and printed study guides and huge textbooks. It was great for building up strength--hard to find even girls who didn't have great biceps, lol, but it was hard on the back. Now the kids are carrying laptops and tablets.

But imagine how great it would be if there were these docks and monitors at the libraries and study nooks that they could use with their phones and not even have to carry laptops or iPads. Then they could use one at home or in the dorm.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

That picture makes the S7 look much bigger. In the hand the S7 is noticeably smaller than the S7E, yet they look near identical on that pic. I think images like this can be deceiving, its gonna be a case of seeing and trying the device in hand to make a choice of if its size is suitable to you.

Also some reviewers/folks have put the S8 taller than the S7E in hands-on videos where they lay the S8 on top of the S7E and yet in that image it makes it look shorter (less tall) ?

I will be at least going to the stores and seeing if I can at least see an S8 in person myself and to see if ergonomics have improved before I decide whether to go down the LG route (as it's looking like LG won't officially release G6 here, which means buying blind and importing which I hate) or just based on all your feedback when you have them, maybe give the S8 a go ....

I'm not rushing into any decisions though, I still have a cupboard full (€200 worth) of note 7 accessories staring back at me .....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.