Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I wonder if it still has that awful feature where if you try to turn the volume up past 60% it gives you that warning. I seriously want to flip out at that thing

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Yeah the Moto g5 plus 16gb/3gb ram is £179 on Amazon.co.uk, which is a great bargain.

I'm with you regarding size of the S8. It's still essentially same size as the S7E which if that was too big, means your out of luck with the S8.

The A7 2017 is not a good value option especially given the S7 is now less than €400 most places and is still a damn fine.phone.
The S7e screen is 5.5"? Its the overall size of the phone for me that matters so if those arent much bigger then id be ok but the size of the S7 is about as big as id like to go. The reason i never got a Edge is because it cost $90 more for features i didnt think were worth it to have.
The new Moto G screen is a 5.2" so assume its about the same size as the S7. I really dont need another phone but at $229 with expandible storage is pretty cheap and it has a 12MP camera and a 5MP front camera.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Hmmm, i dont care about the benchmarks but that DeX is pretty interesting. Will depend on the cost for me since i already have a ASUS Windows 10 all in one desktop that i just got three months ago.

What's the attraction of Dex, especially if you already have a fully functional PC?

Serious question, not trying to snarky---I'm just trying to understand the use case for DeX. Would you replace your AiO with it? And wouldn't that then require purchasing all the peripherals, i.e. keyboard, monitor, mouse?

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
What's the attraction of Dex, especially if you already have a fully functional PC?

Serious question, not trying to snarky---I'm just trying to understand the use case for DeX. Would you replace your AiO with it? And wouldn't that then require purchasing all the peripherals, i.e. keyboard, monitor, mouse?
Its interesting because im away from home a lot. I dont need one i just thought it was interesting. I have a keyboard and mouse but the monitor would be an additional cost i dont need to have.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

I can see some niche usage for DeX especially if you can use a suitable home TV or simple monitor, then a cheap KB with TP and/or a mouse

Minimalists or budget conscious, cyclists, hotel use, holiday homes, camper van, caravans, boats, etc

Whilst no substitute for a full laptop. I can see for some just having Dex (instead of a charger base) plus a folding KB and access to a TV/screen may give some advantage in not having to carry a tablet with a sim etc, and to get a richer experience of a large screen.

At home you could even get DeX instead of a new tablet for around the house without any hassle of charging extra devices, synching and with all your content in one device

Can't see it for myself but I'm sure some will wont to come home stick your S8(+) in the base connected to your kitchen TV and enjoy etc.

Given many have a phone charger and a TV in their bedroom already I can see it as a morning ritual browsing important content with a cup of tea in bed :) on a larger screen via DeX

I'm sure some can find less trivial use but lots of potential and convenience vs buying a tablet in certain scenarios for casual entertainment and basic daily workflow :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Portability and simplicity. Love the way the stand folds down into a puck.

I travel a lot, so this would mean I can leave my Google Cast and Amazon Stick at home.

You can hook it up to any display with a HDMI input. Not just monitors.

I sometimes play mobile games like NFS most Wanted on my TV via Mirroring from phone, but there is always lag, even if it's minimal. Dex would eliminate lag when playing mobile games on the big screen.

The times when my internet is down, which is rare. Instead of wasting my tether cap. I can just use Dex and it will be using my unlimited LTE instead.

I already have two Logitech K400 Keyboards with built in touch pad, which uses a USB dongle. Extremely cheap and batteries last for months. So that's not an issue being that Dex has two USB ports.

Also, using Remote desktop with it is a huge plus.

Dex is far from being necessary, but I'm interested enough in it's advantages to give it a try.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Portability and simplicity. Love the way the stand folds down into a puck.

I travel a lot, so this would mean I can leave my Google Cast and Amazon Stick at home.

You can hook it up to any display with a HDMI input. Not just monitors.

I sometimes play mobile games like NFS most Wanted on my TV via Mirroring from phone, but there is always lag, even if it's minimal. Dex would eliminate lag when playing mobile games on the big screen.

The times when my internet is down, which is rare. Instead of wasting my tether cap. I can just use Dex and it will be using my unlimited LTE instead.

I already have two Logitech K400 Keyboards with built in touch pad, which uses a USB dongle. Extremely cheap and batteries last for months. So that's not an issue being that Dex has two USB ports.

Also, using Remote desktop with it is a huge plus.

Dex is far from being necessary, but I'm interested enough in it's advantages to give it a try.
I thought of mirroring option but you need an even better quality TV to do this many have cheap flat screens around the house and elsewhere that DeX should be able to use :)

Last edited:

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
If the reviews are good with a buttery software experience, great battery life, and the facial recognition improves, I would definitely consider getting the S8 as a must have when I get a promo for a free upgrade.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I thought of mirroring option but you need an even better quality TV to do this many have cheap flat screens around the house and elsewhere that DeX should be able to use :)
I have a 1080p 32 inch LG TV that's not really being used at the moment so yes DeX would bring a new lease of life to that screen.
[doublepost=1491073506][/doublepost]OK. I went to see the phone this afternoon. Wow it is a beauty. It really is all screen. It's like a beautifully crafted sheet of glass. It's light and sleek. The 8+ is a beast but that's fine with me. The infinity display was also beautiful. I really liked the force touch home button too. I think I would find it more satisfying to use than the home button on the 7 plus because its completely software and there is no hardware aspect to it. The phone wasn't connected to the internet so it was difficult to try things out. The phone was really bolted down to the display so I couldn't really try out the position of the FP scanner as there was this big security bolt on the back.

It definitely needs a case because it's too big and slippery. As I predicted I feel it needs a wallet type case for grip and to protect the screen.

It really put my iPhone 7 plus to shame. It looked so shabby next to the S8+.

I also liked the new swiping guesture to get to the app draw.

The only issue I had was that they only had the black models on display in both the S8 and S8+. The black was ok. Better in the flesh and I would be happy with that but I'd like to see the orchid grey in the flesh before I decide. I will try and go to another store during the week or next weekend so I can see the orchid. So I can choose which colour to go for. But it's a yes from me!!!

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014

Lol...we've got stacks of keyboards, mouses and a few monitors, too. I sometimes feel like I'm living in a repair depot. Not all of it is ours. My dad gives us his old stuff sometimes.
[doublepost=1491074770][/doublepost]
I have a 1080p 32 inch LG TV that's not really being used at the moment so yes DeX would bring a new lease of life to that screen.
[doublepost=1491073506][/doublepost]OK. I went to see the phone this afternoon. Wow it is a beauty. It really is all screen. It's like a beautifully crafted sheet of glass. It's light and sleek. The 8+ is a beast but that's fine with me. The infinity display was also beautiful. I really liked the force touch home button too. I think I would find it more satisfying to use than the home button on the 7 plus because its completely software and there is no hardware aspect to it. The phone wasn't connected to the internet so it was difficult to try things out. The phone was really bolted down to the display so I couldn't really try out the position of the FP scanner as there was this big security bolt on the back.

It definitely needs a case because it's too big and slippery. As I predicted I feel it needs a wallet type case for grip and to protect the screen.

It really put my iPhone 7 plus to shame. It looked so shabby next to the S8+.

I also liked the new swiping guesture to get to the app draw.

The only issue I had was that they only had the black models on display in both the S8 and S8+. The black was ok. Better in the flesh and I would be happy with that but I'd like to see the orchid grey in the flesh before I decide. I will try and go to another store during the week or next weekend so I can see the orchid. So I can choose which colour to go for. But it's a yes from me!!!
The Orchid Grey is a very dignified shade, which is not something I'd ever think purple could be on a phone. It is not a scary purple, though if you wanted to go a bit more flamboyant you could get a very purple case to bring out the purple in it. But you can just as easily make it understated in a grey or black case. It might even look okay in brown leather, but color selection would need to be done carefully to avoid a clash. They really did a lovely job on it. With a color like purple it could have gone so horribly in a direction that's too "grape" for western tastes. Somehow they managed to pull off elegance.

I'm going to get some goofy fun cases for it to go along with my ninja kitty headphone jack charm when I take the kids out for Pokémon Go hunting. And then some classy cases for going out and general purpose.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
ps, I don't think ebates works on Samsung mobile. I already tried ;)

"Exclusions: Cash Back not available on gift cards, gift certificates, home appliance, mobile. "

I pre-ordered the S8 with the immersion pack from Samsung.com with ebates activated. Was very excited about the ebates cash until I saw the exclusions :( And my ebates is blank where it should show money back from Samsung.

But, I am stinking excited about the S8. I have the 7+ as my daily driver but am going to try the smaller form factor. I still likely the size of the GS6 and GS7 but want the larger screen, so I think it'll be perfect. But, I will have to try to see one at a Best Buy this weekend. I'm sure I'll be itching to switch to a S8+ after I see it... we'll see!

I did receive an email from an ebates CS about that and I have escalated it to a manager. The issue is their website in bold print said that the S8 was included, it was only in the small print about the exclusions. May not go anywhere but I am going to fight them a little on this. It is a bit dishonest to offer something prominently like that and then add an exclusion to take it away.
9facee6107748593df99e73ffe32ee90.jpg

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Samsung should make another version of the DeX with built in 3-port KVM for controlling three devices (phone, SBC, laptop or desktop) from one set of keyboard/mouse/monitor. For a lot of things you can do on the DeX, some things are even better on the DeX like watching the latest 4K h265/vp9 media, running apps like Relay for browsing Reddit, etc. It's also environmentally friendly since it consumes ~5W vs ~300W on the PC.

Reactions: Demo Kit

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
I did receive an email from an ebates CS about that and I have escalated it to a manager. The issue is their website in bold print said that the S8 was included, it was only in the small print about the exclusions. May not go anywhere but I am going to fight them a little on this. It is a bit dishonest to offer something prominently like that and then add an exclusion to take it away.

agreed. I'll try to fight it too ;)

Reactions: 5105973

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
So, anyone going to get this, test drive it for a few months and when the Iphone 8 comes out and is impressive enough that you'll sell it and get the iPhone 8?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So, anyone going to get this, test drive it for a few months and when the Iphone 8 comes out and is impressive enough that you'll sell it and get the iPhone 8?

Nope, I'll be turning my S8 Plus in for the Note 8, and turning my iPhone 7 Plus in for the iPhone Edition. I use T-mobile JOD for my Android phones, and the Upgrade program for iPhones direct from Apple.

I will NOT be upgrading my smartwatches though. AW S2 and Gear S2 Classic. Both are good enough for me for years to come.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Nope, I'll be turning my S8 Plus in for the Note 8, and turning my iPhone 7 Plus in for the iPhone Edition. I use T-mobile JOD for my Android phones, and the Upgrade program for iPhones direct from Apple.

I will NOT be upgrading my smartwatches though. AW S2 and Gear S2 Classic. Both are good enough for me for years to come.
My Plans too..except I'll be using the JoD for both phones :)

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I just checked it out at bestbuy today, and I definitely felt like the screen was too big to be a one handed device. I wanted to love it, but I personally could not get passed the size :(

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
the s8. I had to constantly adjust it in hand.
Wow, really?:eek: I'm really tiny, like 5'2" and thought the S8 was very comfortable. The S8+ is a bit of a beast but I'm used to typing on my iPad mini with two thumbs when I visit this forum, and holding it in one hand when I surf the web or read news, so it's not that bad. And I use an iPhone 7Plus. I guess everyone has a different perspective and it depends what you're used to. Sorry it didn't work out for you.

lol.. I'm heading out to visit them again! I can't wait for delivery day.

Reactions: Jetcat3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.