Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
From T4rd on the [H];

Just to add to Samsung's software issue argument; Erica Griffin actually mentions it in her GS8 overview here. She recalls how her GS7 Edge has slowed to a crawl a lot during normal operation, despite disabling bloat apps and factory resetting the phone

WATCH SPECIFICALLY STARTING AT THE 9:05 MARK

I personally wouldn't touch these S8 phones, they will lag, hiccup, and have micro stutter, just like the Note 7 did, the S7 Edge absolutely has, the Note 5 lags, the S5 sure did, the S4, etc...

Still the best Android phone out to date, is the Google Pixel XL, but unfortunately that phone is a myth, and really doesn't exist LOL

Tbh I take issue with this - I agree that Android is the smoothest on Pixel and it ticks certain boxes for sure, but Samsung's platform as a PHONE is far more mature and I definitely noticed it while using both phones at the same time.

Also Nougat on the S7 Edge is fantastic and the phone got quicker, by most accounts (including my own phone).

With any Samsung (and most phones full stop) there is an ironing out period in the first 2 months with bugs and quirks, so I'd expect the S8 to be pretty damn superb come May time.

The Pixel is a myth though, you're right :D

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I had no issues with the S7 edge nor the Note 7. And I've had the 6S Plus along with the S7 Edge and got the 7 Plus while I was using the Note 7, and I still seen no noticeable difference in speed between the two.

Not saying some didn't have issues with the S7 edge, but that's the minority.

My wife and I both had Note 5's they were amazing at lunch. And few months later I got rid if mine for the Nexus 6P at the time. But I recall playing with the wife's Note 5 and man it became a laggy choppy phone six months on. Night and day smoothness difference compared to my 6P then.

And then more recently all my coworkers got S7 Edge's for Christmas for work. I had to help them set them up. And man right out of the box these phones had just very minor micro stutter, was just a tiny little bit of lag here and there. Not much really, but you could tell it was still there.

Now 4 months later, I've asked my coworkers if I could mess around with thier phones for a couple minutes each, and yep the lag was worse and the hiccups more than before. And they're all running Nougat too.

Touchwiz is still a resource hog, and over time it will start lag and get choppy, the older the phone gets. That's not opinion, but a fact.

Stock Android does not do that. And myself with a iPhone 7 Plus for 4 months now, this thing surprisingly is just as silky butter smooth as the day I got it.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
All this lag talk on android devices is mostly related to apps in my opinion. I've had tons of android phones and very few have gotten much worse over time. I install minimal apps and none that are memory hogs like Facebook etc. Maybe I just got lucky?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
From T4rd on the [H];

Just to add to Samsung's software issue argument; Erica Griffin actually mentions it in her GS8 overview here. She recalls how her GS7 Edge has slowed to a crawl a lot during normal operation, despite disabling bloat apps and factory resetting the phone

I personally wouldn't touch these S8 phones, they will lag, hiccup, and have micro stutter, just like the Note 7 did, the S7 Edge absolutely has, the Note 5 lags, the S5 sure did, the S4, etc...

Still the best Android phone out to date, is the Google Pixel XL, but unfortunately that phone is a myth, and really doesn't exist LOL

Yep agreed. Every Samsung phone I've had had experienced this to the point where I've had to do factory resets.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
All this lag talk on android devices is mostly related to apps in my opinion. I've had tons of android phones and very few have gotten much worse over time. I install minimal apps and none that are memory hogs like Facebook etc. Maybe I just got lucky?
Yep, it isn't like it is unusable lol. One poster mentions micro stutrer. Big deal.....If that's an issue then maybe the problem is the users OCD and sweats the small stuff. I couldn't care less about micro stutter. I've had my GS7 for a year now and it runs just fine and I do use Facebook and have a few games on it.
My gs6 was running fine til I broke the screen. One thing I don't like about these new phones is every face is black even with different color backs.

Last edited:

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
From T4rd on the [H];

But I know it exists! I'm using one RIGHT NOW! :O

(I keep thinking I should sell it now with the return being so high.)
[doublepost=1491173555][/doublepost]I guess I've been lucky, I haven't experienced the lag on Sammy's devices others have. Anecdotally, neither have some other techie friends of mine who are partial to Android.

Although in my case, i don't tend to download too many apps so maybe that plays a role.

Reactions: jamezr

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Although in my case, i don't tend to download too many apps so maybe that plays a role.

That shouldn't have anything to do with it, but it probably does. I'm getting hit with the lagging bug on my S7, and even after a restore it still lags. I do have over 200 apps installed, but I also have that many installed on my iPhone 7 and it running worlds better right now.

I'm still planning on getting the Note 8, but I really hope Samsung gets a handle on this.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
My Exynos S7 Edge is a total champ. Ran smooth at launch and still runs smooth with Nougat. Again, it's the first phone I recommend without hesitation.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
My Exynos S7 Edge is a total champ. Ran smooth at launch and still runs smooth with Nougat. Again, it's the first phone I recommend without hesitation.

Maybe that's it. My Exynos Note 5 is actually running smoother and faster than my S7. Hopefully with Samsung having a hand in developing the new Snapdragon, maybe they'll be better at optimizing for it?

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
A lot of people experience slow downs because of the apps they download. Some of those apps are completely useless garbage like 'battery savers' and some are just huge memory hogs like 'Facebook'.

To claim all Samsung phones slow down over time is purely anecdotal. I have had numerous Samsung devices that have never had an issue, while some older models (S2 and S3) were infamous for it. There are simply too many factors to say 'all' phones from any brand do this or do that. Of course, iPhones are also infamous for slowing way down after downloading the latest OS... Or simply bricking. LOL

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
That shouldn't have anything to do with it, but it probably does. I'm getting hit with the lagging bug on my S7, and even after a restore it still lags. I do have over 200 apps installed, but I also have that many installed on my iPhone 7 and it running worlds better right now.

I'm still planning on getting the Note 8, but I really hope Samsung gets a handle on this.

iOS is built for speed. They've gotten sloppy the last few years but for the most part it iOS will always run better than Android just due to the nature of how the OS's do things.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Yeah my s7edge hasn't slowed down in the least....
I'd love an S8 but can't justify it, this phone is the best I've used (barring the Note 7 of course).

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Yep, it isn't like it is unusable lol. One poster mentions micro stutrer. Big deal.....If that's an issue then maybe the problem is the users OCD and sweats the small stuff. I couldn't care less about micro stutter. I've had my GS7 for a year now and it runs just fine and I do use Facebook and have a few games on it.
My gs6 was running fine til I broke the screen. One thing I don't like about these new phones is every face is black even with different color backs.
I also don't get this lag talk. My original galaxy note lagged like crazy and was awful after a while. However my S4, S5 and note 3 were used for 6 months + and they ran perfectly well. You need to maintain your phone from time to time by rebooting and clearing your cache and clearing out unwanted apps but that's all I've ever had to do. I've never had to reset the phone.
[doublepost=1491201099][/doublepost]I'm listening to the YouTube tech guys weekly show. He says that the S8/S8+ has a 32 bit audio DAC. The S7 had a 16 bit DAC. So hopefully audio will be improved.

Fried_Gold

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Add me to the no lag issues with Samsung phones club. I've had the Note 3, S6, S7 and now S7 Edge and never experienced the horror show that people in this thread have been talking about.

My GF had the S4, original A3, S6, S7 and the A5 2017 and she has never mentioned any lag issues either.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Got to see them in person today. Was thinking arctic silver based on pictures but in person orchid gray is very unique without being too feminine and the colored metal frame is very subtle unlike coral blue and maple gold. Black is just boring. Glad they got rid of the reflective colored front bezel and went black. Size wise it's sort of a mind trick since it appears physically small but the screen is huge. Hoping battery life is equivalent to S7 Edge which ranks #1 against #2 OnePlus 3T, #3 Galaxy S7, #4 Pixel, #5 Oneplus 3 and #6 iPhone 7.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
There were some areas of choppiness on the s7/e and that's with Samsung Briefing / UpDay apps both upon launching it & going back home as well as scrolling. Indeed scrolling in Chrome is also a little choppy (Samsung internet fared much better).

Also some of the Samsung themes that applied an animated lock screen really caused noticeable lag and choppy behaviour when unlocking.

But outside of those small examples my S7 & 7e were smooth and enjoyable navigation wise.

The videos I have watched of Bixby in action however do have similar choppiness when scrolling as UpDay / Briefing which makes me think Bixby's feed / stream is probably built on the same foundation as the replaced Briefing / UpDay.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Don't get me wrong - lag is definitely real on some phones. And for some people it's more about perception.

I had an LG G3 and G4. After a few months, I renamed them the LAG G3 & G4.

But Samsung has improved year on year. Hopefully the S8 continues that trend.

(I'm just about to go and check it out!)
[doublepost=1491216993][/doublepost]Oh my lord it is beautiful.

That is the first time I've genuinely held a phone and thought "What an incredibly beautiful piece of industrial design allied with artistic flair" (I'm poetic like that).

It's simply stunning. Everyone is right - regular S8, Orchid Grey, that's the choice for me. It felt gorgeous without a case.

My usual thing is to wait a few months but my S7 Edge appears to be dying on me, so I'd rather trade it in sooner.

Johns12

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
I'm another person with no lag problems on my S7 edge. I've had it 4 months now and besides setting it up to remove notifications from every app under the sun, I replaced Facebook with Metal and it's been fine. I am not a power user as I may have about 50 apps that I use.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Pokemon Go was where I saw a lot of lag and stutter. I think Niantic worked on the app because it worked fine last time I used it. I notice lag sometimes on my Edge but not on my S7. They are set up a little differently. I got my Edge first and experimented with it more. I was more restrained selecting apps for my S7 as I had refined my experience by the time I got it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.