Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Depends where you sell. I like to do comparisons web sites as it's easier.

I mean the most I could get for my S7 edge was between £200-£250 after 6 months while my current 7 plus I'm looking at £600 right now. Granted it's 256GB compared to 32GB so that's a big gap but even 64GB you can get £400

Lets see how much your IPhone is worth/lost post the release of the next IPhone, then we may see a fairer comparison :rolleyes:

If you look at Apple trade in values their cap is higher for non Apple products

The only place I see for consistent healthy respect on 2nd hand values especially Apple is USA, others YMMV

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I posted this in the other thread, but it deserves to go here, too:

For those who have been interested in Samsung's hardware, but were reluctant for a few good reasons, there hasn't been a better time to, at least, pay attention to what Samsung is doing.

They are really the only Android OEM that is paying this close attention to criticisms, learning from them, and then slowly addressing them to the best of their abilities. We witnessed this happen with the S6 first -- a direct response to all the criticisms of Samsung needing to reign in their hardware, have better design and materials, and to start cleaning up the software. Then the S7 comes along with even more refinements to the software, and for the hardware, putting back microSD expansion and waterproofing, and even making the device actually thicker for battery tech. And if you factor in the Note 8 battery issue, Samsung now has the industry leading battery QC-ing process.

Now comes the S8. I'll just point to a few of the less obvious things that Samsung is improving upon this year:

-For the first time, they've removed their logo on the front.
-They're selling unlocked versions just a couple of weeks after the official launch.
-And if I'm not mistaken, there's only one SKU in the United States
-Which means Samsung's new commitment to keep up with monthly security patches can be achieved more easily. And if you know anything about the Android landscape, these are the important updates.
-But in regards to Android version updates, they're at least going to attempt to provide 7.1.1 before or at launch: http://www.talkandroid.com/312577-samsung-galaxy-s8-software-android-7-nougat-7-1-coming/.

(This begs the question: can a single SKU also help with Android version updates?)

Of course, time will tell whether they come through with these promises, and given their history with updates in general, we all have reason to be skeptical. I said myself, I'll believe it when I see it.

But if we are looking at history, then we must also acknowledge that Samsung has proven they are willing to learn and improve over time.

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
I kind of find the wireless charging a invalid argument for not great battery life. So what you guys carry wireless chargers in your pockets? If I'm at work wireless is nice but I can just as easily buy a wired stand and put the phone in that. My concern is I'm at the beach the sun is shinning so the screen is full brightness and I'm taking a lot of pictures and streaming music, don't have my "wireless charger" how is that going to hold up? That said any phone would probably have a rough day under that scenario. My point is when your sitting at your desk battery life is never an issue.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I kind of find the wireless charging a invalid argument for not great battery life. So what you guys carry wireless chargers in your pockets? If I'm at work wireless is nice but I can just as easily buy a wired stand and put the phone in that. My concern is I'm at the beach the sun is shinning so the screen is full brightness and I'm taking a lot of pictures and streaming music, don't have my "wireless charger" how is that going to hold up? That said any phone would probably have a rough day under that scenario. My point is when your sitting at your desk battery life is never an issue.

As you said yourself, that's a very specific issue that would tax any phone. There are also power saving modes in most phones now for scenarios like this.

Regardless, if your use case involves full brightness and a lot of camera activity for long periods of time with no access to charging, then yes, the S8 could fail to meet your needs. There are also power banks and car chargers for scenarios like this.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
@MRU, with regards to actual physical size, have you handled the S8 yet in person? Just curious.

As you may or may not know, I'm a small phone kind of guy myself. The S7E last year was the only exception that I could handle only due to Samsung's design and ergonomics. At the time, it was the most maneagable phablet to date and really shamed other phablets.

The S8 is slightly smaller than the S7E. And though by numbers, the difference might not mean much, in person, it does. As someone who had the S7E for the majority of 2016, picking up the S8 was almost mind boggling, especially with respect to the width. The thing is very usable one handed, with only the upper portion a slight challenge to reach.

Didn't you express interest in the G6? The S8 is smaller than that one. It's also smaller than the Pixel XL, and for sure smaller than the iPhone Plus.

As for the curve displays, I have to say again, you ought to get some hands on. In my 20 mins with it, I had no false touches. If you handled the Note 7, then you have some idea of how small the curvature is. The waterfall effect is very minimal now. You hardly notice any of that green-effect. A stark contrast compared to the S7E.
[doublepost=1491320999][/doublepost]I posted this in the other thread, but it deserves to go here, too:

For those who have been interested in Samsung's hardware, but were reluctant for a few good reasons, there hasn't been a better time to, at least, pay attention to what Samsung is doing.

They are really the only Android OEM that is paying this close attention to criticisms, learning from them, and then slowly addressing them to the best of their abilities. We witnessed this happen with the S6 first -- a direct response to all the criticisms of Samsung needing to reign in their hardware, have better design and materials, and to start cleaning up the software. Then the S7 comes along with even more refinements to the software, and for the hardware, putting back microSD expansion and waterproofing, and even making the device actually thicker for battery tech. And if you factor in the Note 8 battery issue, Samsung now has the industry leading battery QC-ing process.

Now comes the S8. I'll just point to a few of the less obvious things that Samsung is improving upon this year:

-They're selling unlocked versions just a couple of weeks after the official launch.
-Which means Samsung's new commitment to keep up with monthly security patches can be achieved more easily. And if you know anything about the Android landscape, these are the important updates.
-But in regards to Android version updates, they're at least going to attempt to provide 7.1.1 before or at launch: http://www.talkandroid.com/312577-samsung-galaxy-s8-software-android-7-nougat-7-1-coming/. This begs the question: can a single SKU also help with Android version updates?

Of course, time will tell whether they come through with these promises, and given their history with updates in general, we all have reason to be skeptical. I said myself in the other thread, I'll believe it when I see it.

But I know that updates continue to be a big point of contention, so if we are looking at history, then we must also acknowledge that Samsung has proven they are willing to learn and improve over time.

None available here to test. I'm waiting for all your feedback with regards to it and hopefully when it's officially launched I'll get to see it in person.

My concern is ergonomics and holding the device in landscape watching movies, (the amount of times my S6e/e+/7e fell out of my awkward grip was terrible) and in one hand.

The G6 is about same size but those thicker side bezels and flat screen may make it a little easier for me.

Likewise with me being so exposed to sand and grit, I like the reassurance screen protectors offer and that was a bug bear with my prior edged devices.

Likewise I'm a bit put off that Samsung went to the trouble of putting a hardware key on a device for a software feature without any launch date or timeframe for Irish language / regional support.

To be honest, I think my best bet is to wait this one out till either I get a bargain price S8 offered to me or hang tough till latter half of 2017 and get a pixel 2 perhaps.

Truth be told It'll likely be the former that will pull me in (a bargain offer).

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
None available here to test. I'm waiting for all your feedback with regards to it and hopefully when it's officially launched I'll get to see it in person.

My concern is ergonomics and holding the device in landscape watching movies, (the amount of times my S6e/e+/7e fell out of my awkward grip was terrible) and in one hand.

The G6 is about same size but those thicker side bezels and flat screen may make it a little easier for me.

Likewise I'm a bit put off that Samsung went to the trouble of putting a hardware key on a device for a software feature without any launch date or timeframe for Irish language / regional support.

Thanks be honest, I think my best bet is to wait this one out till either I get a bargain price S8 offered to me or hang tough till latter half of 2017 and get a pixel 2 perhaps.

It'll likely be the former that will pull me in (bargain offer).

The Bixby button is something I am against, too. Erica Griffin says there is no way to re-map it or disable it either. Not yet anyway...

As bezels slim down, we'll have to adapt to how we play games and watch videos, for sure.

Reactions: MRU

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
As you said yourself, that's a very specific issue that would tax any phone. There are also power saving modes in most phones now for scenarios like this.

Regardless, if your use case involves full brightness and a lot of camera activity, then yes, the S8 could fail to meet your needs.

Well my point is more that although wireless charging and rapid charging are nice they don't necessarily make up for more mAH. Maybe Apple will bring back the wall huger commercial for Samsung. Honestly who knows maybe it will have great battery life.

Reactions: 5105973

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Well my point is more that although wireless charging and rapid charging are nice they don't necessary make up for more mAH. Maybe Apple will bring back the wall huger commercial for Samsung. Honestly who knows maybe it will have great battery life.

For sure, everyone wants a larger battery. It's one of those tricky specs that'll never satisfy everyone.

Reactions: 5105973 and zone23

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
review of the new Samsung S8 (+) from the guys of DisplayMate

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S8_ShootOut_01.htm

"The Native Color Gamut of the Galaxy S8 is even larger, the result of its new high saturation “Deep Red” OLED, resulting in a very impressive 113% of DCI-P3 and 142% of sRGB / Rec.709 Gamuts that also produces better on-screen Colors in High Ambient Light."

wowww! that is one, more then just a perfect screen.
113% of DCI-P3! thats insane...really wonder if Apple can top that with their iPhone 8 this year.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
The Bixby button is something I am against, too. Erica Griffin says there is no way to re-map it or disable it either. Not yet anyway...

As bezels slim down, we'll have to adapt to how we play games and watch videos, for sure.
Agreed the Bixby button is a bit odd and maybe could of been substituted by some swipe method or key combo but re-mapping would of added a new dimension

Watching content has been addressed slightly with the new stand case by Samsung

Reactions: 5105973

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

Not impressed. Just barely better than the small iPhone 7 which is known for just average battery life. And not matching my amazing iPhone 7 Plus's battery life, which is just super good. And I am no Apple fan, I really do not like iOS at all, but hot dang the battery on my 7 Plus is keeping me on this phone.

And they tested the Exynos version, typically Galaxy phones fair worse with the Snapdragon.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
We went to Disneyland a few weeks ago. It was very sunny and screen brightness was at the highest level to be able to see the darn screen. We took a million pictures. No wireless charger around...but i did bring an external battery..... I carried in my backpack. On trips and such i always carry a backpack and always bring something like that when I go to the beach too...or hiking...fishing...or whenever i think I might need a charge. Beauty is it can charge multiple devices at the same time.
I have a few of these in various sizes...

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-PowerC...&qid=1491323201&sr=8-2&keywords=anker+charger

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
-But in regards to Android version updates, they're at least going to attempt to provide 7.1.1 before or at launch: http://www.talkandroid.com/312577-samsung-galaxy-s8-software-android-7-nougat-7-1-coming/.

-Removed logo on the front = About time, so I don't count that as a big deal, I was more disappointed it took them this long.
-Unlocked versions, in the U.S. I don't care, I want UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER, now that would be a big deal.
-Monthly security patches from Samsung ? LOL, ok we'll see...
-7.1.2 should be the OS version this phone comes with, no excuses. For a flagship phone launching in April 2017 it should be launched with the most current latest Android OS. Even 7.1.1 would be acceptable, but just 7.0 ? NO WAY, totally unacceptable.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This will work for me! Better battery life than my Pixel Xl and S7 edge and close to my 7+

This is the Exynos 8895
upload_2017-4-4_9-37-55.png

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-battery-life-test-result-is-out_id92744

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
-Removed logo on the front = About time, so I don't count that as a big deal, I was more disappointed it took them this long.
-Unlocked versions, in the U.S. I don't care, I want UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER, now that would be a big deal.
-Monthly security patches from Samsung ? LOL, ok we'll see...
-7.1.2 should be the OS version this phone comes with, no excuses. For a flagship phone launching in April 2017 it should be launched with the most current latest Android OS. Even 7.1.1 would be acceptable, but just 7.0 ? NO WAY, totally unacceptable.

I don't think this phone is for you. There's not much else that can be said if this is the response you have to Samsung trying to improve.

Moving on then...

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Lets see how much your IPhone is worth/lost post the release of the next IPhone, then we may see a fairer comparison :rolleyes:

If you look at Apple trade in values their cap is higher for non Apple products

The only place I see for consistent healthy respect on 2nd hand values especially Apple is USA, others YMMV

Actually no

Even in September the resale value will be great. It's why to me going sim only and buying then selling your old phone only makes sense with Apple. Resale value is just too bad to do this on android. Sure if you don't mind paying pretty much full value each year on android to upgrade.

Reactions: Treble

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
I don't think this phone is for you. There's not much else that can be said if this is the response you have to Samsung trying to improve.

I, for one, am happy to see Samsung trying harder and faster than other OEMs to improve on their shortcomings, while also pushing novel tech and software features.

Moving on then...

please understand that there are people here who will defend Apple in everything they do. Even if Apple uses the same design for their iPhones, more then 3 years in a row.
That is Apple marketing 101
[doublepost=1491324704][/doublepost]

so, I guess thats why you are totally fine with your iPhone 7 Plus, a design of more then 3 years old.
Got it. Makes sense

Reactions: Demo Kit

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Went in to see if the S8 was on display but no luck in currys
[doublepost=1491313840][/doublepost]
It's great you and your husband are techy people that seem to love technology . Must be great to have that in common.

Surprised you haven't got him posting on here lol
[doublepost=1491314030][/doublepost]
Everybody usage is different though so it's hard to compare
Oh it IS great fun to have this in common. I know my husband has remarked many times he appreciated the ease of being his nerdy self with me. Ditto here. In our poor starving college student days, a date often consisted of just hanging out at computer displays and software sections at the various retailers, marveling and dreaming about what we would buy if we could. We would pool our money to buy one computer program that would keep us entertained for well over a month! I used to love just sitting there watching his screen saver that was timed to move along to a midi file!

We have never been anything but grateful for everything we got to experience together, even when there was no money and it took twenty minutes on a slow dial up connection to load all the hamsters on the Hampster Dance web page. :p:D

I'm not sure he hasn't been posting. He won't tell me his username. He jokingly says he wants to troll me. :eek: I really don't think he posts, though. He has never been terribly active on any forum or social media accounts. A large part of it has to do with lack of time. He has his career which is very intense and consuming. On top of that we deal with four aging parents who have had some serious illnesses to manage. They are starting to shift the handling of all their affairs over to us. Sigh.

Changing gears here for a moment...

My goodness, it does seem like it's difficult to find the S8's on display in the U.K. Well a proper display that actually lets you get a feel for the phones, that is. If not for Best Buy, I suppose we would have the same problem where I live. I know the carrier stores have a bad habit of bolting everything down or worse...displaying dummies. :mad:

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

I've had the exact same concern. Same goes for false touches. Most of the hands on reviews, and my own VERY limited testing, suggest it's not an issue. However, as we all know, none of this means anything until you're handling and using the phone every single day.
[doublepost=1491326664][/doublepost]
please understand that there are people here who will defend Apple in everything they do. Even if Apple uses the same design for their iPhones, more then 3 years in a row.
That is Apple marketing 101

No it isn't, and your point is not well thought out, it's "sheep-like" in its own right while trying to put down those who use a different product than you. People swear by Apple because it meets their needs specific to how *they* use a phone. I use both an iPhone 7+ and Pixel XL as rotating daily drivers. The design of a phone is of greater interest to those who swap them often than the majority of the phone buying public. The key is the OS, how you use that OS, how it does the things you need it to do.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
No it isn't, and your point is not well thought out, it's "sheep-like" in its own right while trying to put down those who use a different product than you. People swear by Apple because it meets their needs specific to how *they* use a phone. I use both an iPhone 7+ and Pixel XL as rotating daily drivers. The design of a phone is of greater interest to those who swap them often than the majority of the phone buying public. The key is the OS, how you use that OS, how it does the things you need it to do.

you totally missed my point for a full 100%.
Maybe read to whom I applied and then look at the devices I use on a daily basis ;)

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This will work for me! Better battery life than my Pixel Xl and S7 edge and close to my 7+

This is the Exynos 8895
View attachment 694866

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-battery-life-test-result-is-out_id92744

Hmm, I always take those with a grain of salt. On benchmarks the Note 5 battery was right up there with the ip7+, but in my experience was nowhere near the ip7+, same thing with the Note 7. Both Notes would routinely be out of battery by the end of my day, where my ip7+ usually has 40-50% left. I think the issue with benchmarks is they are too perfect, the conditions are perfect and they don't really allow for those random apps which suck battery up. Apple seems far more controlled in relation to apps, I don't believe I've ever encountered a rogue app on iOS.

I'm still heavily considering the S8 though. I see that waze on android auto is in beta testing. I'm a bit tired of having to use 2 different phone UI's (google voice), and of course having no dark mode continues to be a daily torture device. I still have to fondle a S8+ in person, but I hope it's not too tall. The more I think about it, the more I feel maybe Samsung should have made a shorter device and kept the old screen ratio. A bigger screen is more useful, but only if it's bigger both horizontally and vertically. Just thoughts though, I have to see one in person still.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This is disappointing. How come the iPhone 7 plus have better battery life on this test?
Apple is is in the unique position of designing both the OS and hardware to work with each other. Then their hardware display is only 1080 display resolution. That consumes less power as a whole. Apple does a great job of blending both hardware and software together to attain that great battery life,

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.