Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm going to hold out for a few months for the inevitable price drop and for them to iron out early bugs. Hope to see pics on here soon from proud new owners.
I haven't caught up with this thread yet but one benefit to waiting may be getting China-level specs. I do think this could happen because Samsung is really out to woo us back after Note 7 and because Apple is going to come out swinging with that Anniversary model. http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-128GB-6GB-RAM-launch_id92884

While I would love these specs, I doubt my use case requires them. And since I have every intention of buying Note 8 later in the year, I want the S8 in my greedy paws now in time for our annual school west coast hike.

In fact, I wish I had had the S8 a couple of months ago to record my daughter's school musical. I used my 7Plus and it did a decent job but I think, based on what that clip of the Ed Sheeran tour was like, the S8 would have done a much better job. Perhaps. I would have liked to had them battle side by side, that's for sure.

My husband thinks I am too obsessed with recording these things that I miss the moment unfold, but I do not. The fact is, using smart phones to record is amazing, because with their form factors being what they are, they get out of your way and become an extension of your arm.

It's the fancy expensive camcorder we brought with us and tried to use that got in the way. Dang that was a clustercluck, especially giving it to my husband. I had to grab it from him and shove it back into the bag. :mad: He stresses and has such snotty temper when he has to record or photograph anything without a lot of prep time and he often cuts me out of scenes or cuts my head off...though after much intense nagging from me, he's making more of an effort to include me. I'd almost think he were passive aggressive, but he's just not a great cameraman unless he has lots of time to fuss over setting up a shot. Which. Does. Not. Happen. With kids...or pets.

Unless the pet is a turtle. :p

I am sad though. As family recorder of events, I am absent from a lot of our family archives, especially before I got more assertive a couple of years ago. I'm a bit frustrated with the narrow angle of the selfie camera on the iPhones for that reason.

With the Samsungs more generous field of view, I've been able to sneak myself into more family scenes without having to bug someone to take a picture of me to prove I existed, too. I don't want the duck lips vanity selfies. I just want some family pictures of the scenery with me in them. I'm really pleased and surprised at Samsung's latest effort to improve the front facing camera.
[doublepost=1491578243][/doublepost]
Having tried countless glass and plastic protectors on my S7 Edge, here is the only one that seemed to work really well and was pretty easy to apply. They have a regular version and a case friendly version, these are for the S8+:

Regular version
Case friendly version
Thanks! I ordered one of each since I'm not sure which one will suit me best. I may as well give it a try.

I have new tempered glass screen protectors coming in for my 7Plus today. I had been using a film one, but the edges of my credit card and drivers license in my wallet case scratch it up and it also does not resist fingerprints at all.

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
It works with your phone number, but it's limited to one device. Every time I switch phones, I have to reactivate it on that phone with my number, then the it gets deactivated on the other phone. They REALLY NEED to make it like iMessage.
Ahh. Yikes. That sounds inconvenient.

Allo doesn't let me send messages from my phone number, though. It uses a proxy number (example - "798-58" or some five digit number). Is it the same way for you?

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
I am sad though. As family recorder of events, I am absent from a lot of our family archives, especially before I got more assertive a couple of years ago. I'm a bit frustrated with the narrow angle of the selfie camera on the iPhones for that reason.

With the Samsungs more generous field of view, I've been able to sneak myself into more family scenes without having to bug someone to take a picture of me to prove I existed, too. I don't want the duck lips vanity selfies. I just want some family pictures of the scenery with me in them. I'm really pleased and surprised at Samsung's latest effort to improve the front facing camera.

Have you tried using this? It's available in the Samsung app store.
9cf0ed0edc2c671dc7e686f978ad34d9.jpg

Reactions: 5105973 and v0lume4

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Ahh. Yikes. That sounds inconvenient.

Allo doesn't let me send messages from my phone number, though. It uses a proxy number (example - "798-58" or some five digit number). Is it the same way for you?

Somewhat ..... I just texted my T-mobile temporary Digits number, which is the 929 area code. The 917 area code is my actual number attached to Allo. The first pic is the Message app on the iPhone, the second pic is the Allo app.

So it looks like a user without Allo will see your number within the message, if you text them using Allo. But as you said, it uses a proxy number as shown in the first pic.

IMG_0626.jpg

IMG_0627.PNG

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It works with your phone number, but it's limited to one device. Every time I switch phones, I have to reactivate it on that phone with my number, then the it gets deactivated on the other phone. They REALLY NEED to make it like iMessage.
I always considered this as a security/privacy thing not an hindrance

v0lume4

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2012
Somewhat ..... I just texted my T-mobile temporary Digits number, which is the 929 area code. The 917 area code is my actual number attached to Allo. The first pic is the Message app on the iPhone, the second pic is the Allo app.

So it looks like a user without Allo will see your number within the message, if you text them using Allo. But as you said, it uses a proxy number as shown in the first pic.

View attachment 695294

View attachment 695295
Thank you for checking that out and for the posted examples. :)

It's really too bad that messages won't just send from my/your phone number. I don't want to have to tell all of my friends and family "Oh yeah, this five digit number is my phone number too. Can you add it to my contact info please?"

As I said in a previous post, I hope that I can send messages from my phone number in the next iteration of Allo. I'm hoping that Messenger (whatever the default app is) is replaced with Allo, with full functionality, in Android O.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
iMessage can do it while being secure. WhatsApp also found a way to do multi device. Both are secure and private.
I only use WhatsApp and Line :)

I know you can have them active on multiple devices via the web app so it's nothing to do with sim swapping and everything stays in synch. I use it for my laptop(s) and S7E not dual phones but the same is possible with 2 phones.

Even WhatsApp notes swapping devices (sim) multiple times will eventually block your account

I know IPhone uses continuum via your Apple ID and ICloud to stay in synch across devices for IMessage etc but don't you have to sign in each time you swap your sim so its just verification in another format ?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I should've gotten that $650 S8 deal and then try to flip my S7 for $350-$400 range since it's practically a month old. T-Mobile's lack of competitiveness with the offers is astonishing. Last year, they had a BOGO deal for the S7 leak practically during release time. They offered a "free iPhone 7" with a qualified trade in back in September 2016.

How hard is it to see that they can lose subscribers to Verizon and AT&T with better phone promos? It's easier to lock up customers to 24-36 months with a "free phone" via bill credits. Especially if it is a GS8.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

I know you can have them active on multiple devices via the web app so it's nothing to do with sim swapping and everything stays in synch. I use it for my laptop(s) and S7E not dual phones but the same is possible with 2 phones.

Even WhatsApp notes swapping devices (sim) multiple times will eventually block your account

I know IPhone uses continuum via your Apple ID and ICloud to stay in synch across devices for IMessage etc but don't you have to sign in each time you swap your sim so its just verification in another format ?

Yes, you still have to sign in. And a popup with a code will show up on any other device or mac that you use your Apple ID on, which you must input into the new device.

WhatsApp is pretty much the same as Allo, but with multiple device support. WhatsApp doesn't let you dial any number to text, you have to create a contact first then WhatApp has to detect that contact also uses WhatsApp. The main reason I like WhatApp is that it's the most popular messenger in the world. The majority of my contacts are Whatsapp enabled.

Google ABSOLUTELY MUST integrate Allo into Android OS, phone number, and Google Accounts in order for it to compete with iMessage or Whatsapp.
[doublepost=1491589755][/doublepost]
I should've gotten that $650 S8 deal

That deal was a mistake and only a some orders were honored.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Yes, you still have to sign in. And a popup with a code will show up on any other device or mac that you use your Apple ID on, which you must input into the new device.

WhatsApp is pretty much the same as Allo, but with multiple device support. WhatsApp doesn't let you dial any number to text, you have to create a contact first then WhatApp has to detect that contact also uses WhatsApp. The main reason I like WhatApp is that it's the most popular messenger in the world. The majority of my contacts are Whatsapp enabled.

Google ABSOLUTELY MUST integrate Allo into Android OS, phone number, and Google Accounts in order for it to compete with iMessage or Whatsapp.
[doublepost=1491589755][/doublepost]

That deal was a mistake and only a some orders were honored.

I would've probably been able to order for $750 still and get the $100 off because of a Samsung deal with my employer for the discount I got with the S7 and I can also go through my card for a billing dispute for a $100 charge back. Pain in the ass, but the $100 difference would've probably been honored at some point.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Reactions: 5105973

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

You can re-verify, though, and have it work on both devices. You can't do that with Allo.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Today i recieved the alcantara case for my preordered s8. Very nice feeling and so small compared to my iPhone 7 Plus

8489bcee65ed90d4ceb6a76dbd421767.jpg

Funny how the Galaxy S8's screen size is bigger and the iPhone 7+ is just much bigger and thicker while having a 5.5" screen.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Funny how the Galaxy S8's screen size is bigger and the iPhone 7+ is just much bigger and thicker while having a 5.5" screen.
Yeah it's cool. I'm still wondering if the S8 screen will actually feel bigger though, in actual use. The diagonal measure is a bit misleading as those displays have such different aspect ratios. In the end the S8 display area is only about 2,5% bigger than that of the 7 Plus. And the S8 display is actually about 4mm narrower than the 7+ display, so in practice, text & web content etc will appear smaller on the S8, even though there's more of it horizontally.

And the S8+ display is the same width as the 7 Plus display (S8+ is 0,4 mm wider...) so the S8+ screen will just feel longer than the 7 Plus screen. Again, content won't actually be bigger.

I dunno, the extra space horizontally might feel amazing of course and really make the display look huge and awesome, but I'm just not ready to get overly excited about these displays until I've really tested them. I think people in general are getting just a tad too mesmerised by that diagonal measure that makes the S8 screen sound way way bigger than the 7 Plus screen.

Still hoping that the Note 8 screen will be at least as wide as the Note 7 screen was... I'd rather have the phone be slightly wider to maintain screen width - which at least for me is just as important as height.

The S8 and S8+ are gorgeous but the Mate 9 is still my biggest screen turn on at the moment. 5.9" in 16:9, in a footprint no bigger than the 7 Plus... If Sammy could at least match that with the Note 8 - including the screen width - I'd be in heaven.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yeah it's cool. I'm still wondering if the S8 screen will actually feel bigger though, in actual use. The diagonal measure is a bit misleading as those displays have such different aspect ratios. In the end the S8 display area is only about 2,5% bigger than that of the 7 Plus. And the S8 display is actually about 4mm narrower than the 7+ display, so in practice, text & web content etc will appear smaller on the S8, even though there's more of it horizontally.

And the S8+ display is the same width as the 7 Plus display (S8+ is 0,4 mm wider...) so the S8+ screen will just feel longer than the 7 Plus screen. Again, content won't actually be bigger.

I dunno, the extra space horizontally might feel amazing of course and really make the display look huge and awesome, but I'm just not ready to get overly excited about these displays until I've really tested them. I think people in general are getting just a tad too mesmerised by that diagonal measure that makes the S8 screen sound way way bigger than the 7 Plus screen.

Still hoping that the Note 8 screen will be at least as wide as the Note 7 screen was... I'd rather have the phone be slightly wider to maintain screen width - which at least for me is just as important as height.

The S8 and S8+ are gorgeous but the Mate 9 is still my biggest screen turn on at the moment. 5.9" in 16:9, in a footprint no bigger than the 7 Plus... If Sammy could at least match that with the Note 8 - including the screen width - I'd be in heaven.

Seeing the S8 and S8+ in person, you really won't notice. Nothing about the size/dimension of the displays look out of the ordinary. It's the minimal black bezels which blends perfectly with the display that makes the phone itself noticeable.

And as far as the display size/dimension goes. I had a hard time distinguishing which one was the S8 and the S8+. You really have to look for the taller phone. The thinner display of the S8 is almost unnoticeable against the S8+.

Both also felt pretty much the same in hand. Even the weight felt the same in hand. The only noticeable differ is the FP sensor is harder to reach on the S8+.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.