Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Put iOS on the S8 and make turn the Bixby button into a Siri button I would be lining up right now. Maybe put the camera at the top left and make the fingerprint reader the Apple logo that lights up I would sell a kidney.

And I'm the complete opposite. If this ran iOS, I'd just have stuck with my 7 Plus. Part of the reason for switching to the S8+ for me is that it seems a Samsung has gotten better about their software and Apple has gotten worse.

Reactions: mjschabow

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I have a SIM free S8 on pre order in the U.K, what's everyone's experiences of updates from Samsung for these? Better or worse then the networks?
On my international S7E Duos I stopped checking after the 1st few months, updates seem to be every month now all I notice is my wife's S6 Duos seems to lag my one by a week or so and maybe 2 on the nougat update.

There is a very noticeable increase in frequency over previous years

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I agree with this so much. As good as it looks Android just sucks. From the lack of app compatibility to icons not being a uniform size to having to rely on a third party launcher.. Why? What you're describing is probably the iPhone 8 anyway. Sit tight.
Siri sucks. Google Now is so much better. IOS is ok but I've never been able to be satisfied with it.
And what's wrong with a third party launcher? Much better then the stock one and still better than iOS....Which doesn't even have a launcher. Just pages of apps you can't move where you want to. And I've no idea what you mean about icons not being uniform. You can actually change the size of them if you want....With that third party launcher. Can you do that on iOS?

Last edited:
Reactions: v0lume4

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
From the lack of app compatibility to icons not being a uniform size to having to rely on a third party launcher.. Why?

I'm not sure if your a bit OCD on icons :) but I think you will find all Android Icons are the same size just the transparency options can make them appear smaller

If you don't like smaller appearance icons on some apps or the icon is ugly or you want to use a different icon (good for masking bank ones for example)

Then a simple app can fix this for you else you can use a theme launcher if you wish

"Why ?", because it's all about options and personal preferences even to placement of Icons or lack of icons, on Android

My preference is to have only one Icon "Apps" on my home screen as that's the minimum possible as I dislike the cheese grater cascade of icons/folders that's like the worlds worse collage, everything else is from my sidebar but that's my preference :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Queen6

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Any light on the 30-day return policy? Seemed too good to be true.

Verizon allows returns for 30 days if you order online. Oddly, I've also seen the S8 page on Verizon's website advertise no restocking fee with online orders instead of the 30 day return policy. It seems to change around from time to time.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I agree with this so much. As good as it looks iOS just sucks. From being required to plug into iTunes for custom ringtones to requiring 3rd party apps to do simple tasks like saving a file to the phone, to not being able to place icons where you want ton the home screen, to having Siri and Apple Maps still stuck in 2010 and pretty useless. Sit tight though. Maybe by iOS 15, Apple will have figured it out.

I fixed it for you.

Reactions: spinedoc77

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Packaged up my iP7+ today ready to be sold. Between now and arrival of my S8+ I've fixed and gone back to my 2014 Moto X running 6.0

Forgot what a great phone it is. Fell into the trap of comparing my current iPhone to a 3-year-old handset running an older version of software. When I stopped doing that released it's still great, that the differences between iOS and Android are essentially gone, at least for me, and switching was easy. It's all basically the same, just in slightly different places.

One of the reasons I always avoided Samsung was Touchwiz, when playing with the demo unit, I completely forgot that it was there. For me, that's a big improvement.

Anyone else considering switching from their iPhone to iOS, it isn't a massive deal. It's like going from a Ford to a HonMcDonald'sm McDonalds to Burger King (not that I would advocate eating at either place)

Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Packaged up my iP7+ today ready to be sold. Between now and arrival of my S8+ I've fixed and gone back to my 2014 Moto X running 6.0

Forgot what a great phone it is. Fell into the trap of comparing my current iPhone to a 3-year-old handset running an older version of software. When I stopped doing that released it's still great, that the differences between iOS and Android are essentially gone, at least for me, and switching was easy. It's all basically the same, just in slightly different places.

One of the reasons I always avoided Samsung was Touchwiz, when playing with the demo unit, I completely forgot that it was there. For me, that's a big improvement.

Anyone else considering switching from their iPhone to iOS, it isn't a massive deal. It's like going from a Ford to a HonMcDonald'sm McDonalds to Burger King (not that I would advocate eating at either place)

That was an awesome phone! I had the football back cover.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
On another note, I'm curious about Apple Music on Android. Anyone using it? I like Google Play too but the interface is a bit clunky and I feel like it takes too many clicks to get to my library. I'd use Spotify but I have rare albums and bootlegs that I obviously can't play on Spotify.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
The Samsung Galaxy S8 went up for pre-order in South Korea over the weekend, where it's been met with a record-breaking reception. ZDNet reports that Koreans snapped up 550,000 Galaxy S8 and S8+ phones in the two-day period since pre-orders began, ahead of the phone's April 21 street date.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
That was an awesome phone! I had the football back cover.

I have the light brown (Bamboo??) back with Orange accents. It's a pretty awesome device. The step down in screen size was strange.

On another note, I'm curious about Apple Music on Android. Anyone using it? I like Google Play too but the interface is a bit clunky and I feel like it takes too many clicks to get to my library. I'd use Spotify but I have rare albums and bootlegs that I obviously can't play on Spotify.

I'm using Apple Music on Android, what do you want to know?

Also, can I just add, I'm pretty annoyed at all the pre-order bonuses available except in the UK. Early delivery?! Yeah, awesome(!)

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I have the light brown (Bamboo??) back with Orange accents. It's a pretty awesome device. The step down in screen size was strange.

I'm using Apple Music on Android, what do you want to know?

It was definitely one of the more comfortable Phones to hold wasn't it?

I'm curious if it is a smooth experience and if I were to download a song or album using other means would it show up in my Apple Music library or do I still have to do that through iTunes?

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Another way to remap the Bixby button: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sing...ixby-button-to-do-anything-you-please_id92939

Single, double or long press? How to remap the Galaxy S8 Bixby button to do anything you please

I would definitely change it to long press to avoid accidental triggers. But what to map it to...? Quick dial a contact? That could be useful. Sound profiles?

With the ability to customize, it could become a useful and beloved button.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Another way to remap the Bixby button: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Sing...ixby-button-to-do-anything-you-please_id92939

Single, double or long press? How to remap the Galaxy S8 Bixby button to do anything you please

I would definitely change it to long press to avoid accidental triggers. But what to map it to...? Quick dial a contact? That could be useful. Sound profiles?

Yeah I'd say camera would be cool. Or even quick settings drop down

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

A sound profile would be nice. To make it like the mute switch on iPhone but one that actually mutes what you think it's going to mute...

Flashlight would also be cool.

In fact I hope Samsung realise people in general don't give f**** about a half baked Bixby right now, and hurry up and make it easy for people to remap the button. That way it would become a pretty awesome strength, unique to the S8. I would be great PR for Samsung too. "Hey, we put an extra button here for you to play around with, make it do whatever you need it to!"

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Imagine if a manufacturer created a hardware button with the sole purpose of allowing the user to assign a function to it? That'd be fun.

I know it's not exactly the same but don't Google's Live cases have a 'button' on the back that uses NFC and allows you to map an app or function to it?

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
My dad has just pre ordered the S8 plus on Vodafone

£59 a month
20GB data
Unlimited calls and texts
2 years free spotify
2 years sky sports

Looking forward to a hands on With the phone. That will sure hurt my temptations

That seems like rather a good deal! How much upfront?

Reactions: MRU

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
How is the s8+ in full sunlight? I was at the park all weekend with my daughter and forgot how crappy the iPhone is in sunlight. Might be a selling point for me now that summer is coming.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
How is the s8+ in full sunlight? I was at the park all weekend with my daughter and forgot how crappy the iPhone is in sunlight. Might be a selling point for me now that summer is coming.

According to the DisplayMate review, the S8 has a maximum brightness of 610 nits when set manually. The iPhone 7 maximum is 600 nits.

However, when set to automatic, the S8 goes up to 1020 nits while the iPhone goes up to 705 nits.

So, the S8 should be better in direct sunlight.

http://www.displaymate.com/Galaxy_S8_ShootOut_01.htm#Brightness

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
After just getting 7+ this year I was really trying to hold out...

So yeah I decided on Black S8+

Wife's. Gonna. Kill. Me.

Seems I've just erroneously been emailed a statement from American Heavy Equipment rental for a backhoe or something ‍♂️ This. Isn't. Good

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.