Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I absolutely LOVE my Gear S3 Classic.

Just got a big software update last week, so it's even better.

Does what I want it to in an elegant manner, looks incredible (for me, far better looking than Apple Watch), battery life is superb... Plus I've taken the straps from 3 watches I had lying around and use them to completely change the look for free.

OK the apps selection is still very limited but I honestly don't care about apps on my smartwatch, it's more about notifications, fitness tracking, looks and battery life.

It's a genuine 9/10 product for me. I'm happy with this for the next few years, no doubt.
[doublepost=1491855389][/doublepost]

Ahhh... It's either/or on the Sky Sports and Spotify. Still a lovely little deal. Actually I know someone who works for Vodafone, might hit them up.

You guys are tempting me with the S3, the frontier looks really nice and not too large. At this point I've narrowed it down to the S3 or the Tag Heuer watch. I really don't want to limit myself to Tizen though. The Huawei watch from last year is an option also, I'm assuming it got upgraded to 2.0 OS. Plus Verizon hasn't released their Gear S3 yet so my choice may already be made.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
It's mostly the same as before. You can double tap on an icon and it will take you to the app. Also, you can swap out the clock with FaceWidgets. One of the FaceWidget's I've seen is for song/media playback controls (play/pause). I believe both of those feature are new with S8.

The double tap thing happens on the S7 to on Nougat, even with Music Controls.

Sounds like it's the same as S7 Nougat.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
Ok, here is my thoughts on the S3/AW debate. Being someone who currently uses an iphone 7+ and has been on Apple for many many years, but has S8 on order I am toying with the real possibility of not being able to use my AW anymore. I have been to a number of different stores to check out the S3 and encountered the following EE store had it solen, CPW didn't have it out/hate them stores, O2 had none in, Saumsung store is closed for refurbishment so tried a CPW in MK and they had the S3 classic out, but not in stock. Anyway the S3 classic seemed heavy and large which kinda put me off, plus the girl in CPW was circling like a vulture even though they had none in stock.

Anyway I ordered the S3 frontier and I have to say I am impressed. It's sleek, doesn't seem as heavy or big as classic, screen is amazing, battery life seems ok. I am yet to test it fully due to limited functionality with iPhone but I have to say, what I have seen so far I'd easy give up AW for this.

There is also £50 off in the UK at the moment making it £299

Hope this helps

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
I've kind of given up on security at this point. If the Russians can hack our election I'm sure they can get to me if they want.

:D:D:D:D:D

Ok, here is my thoughts on the S3/AW debate. Being someone who currently uses an iphone 7+ and has been on Apple for many many years, but has S8 on order I am toying with the real possibility of not being able to use my AW anymore. I have been to a number of different stores to check out the S3 and encountered the following EE store had it solen, CPW didn't have it out/hate them stores, O2 had none in, Saumsung store is closed for refurbishment so tried a CPW in MK and they had the S3 classic out, but not in stock. Anyway the S3 classic seemed heavy and large which kinda put me off, plus the girl in CPW was circling like a vulture even though they had none in stock.

Anyway I ordered the S3 frontier and I have to say I am impressed. It's sleek, doesn't seem as heavy or big as classic, screen is amazing, battery life seems ok. I am yet to test it fully due to limited functionality with iPhone but I have to say, what I have seen so far I'd easy give up AW for this.

Hope this helps

Had mine since release, so it's been a good 3.5 months. Definitely happy with the Gear S3. It's different to the Apple Watch for sure, the AW is far more capable apps-wise but the Samsung does what I wanted it to do.

Last thing on earth I want is to scroll Instagram on my smartwatch or order an Uber on it, couldn't care less. The Samsung gets almost all the important things right in an attractive build with really solid battery life.

I've had Android Wear watches before - most used one was LG G Watch R for a while - but I definitely prefer notifications on my Gear S3. Haven't tried Android Wear 2.0 yet but heard very mixed things thus far.

Let me know how you go with your Frontier, hope it goes well!

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
So you just get an icon and not some text, like maybe the email subject line or the text message? I was hoping I didn't have to go to the app, or even touch the phone to determine if the notification really needed my attention. I guess it's an improvement that the notification is actionable, but it seems to not really save me any time if I'm already picking up the phone and opening the app.
[doublepost=1491854896][/doublepost]

I'd be interested in your thoughts. I have a feeling I won't be able to replicate my AW. My main things are heartrate sensor, using MotiFit for workouts, Ecobee app to adjust my thermostats, and otherwise mainly getting notifications without having to pull out my phone.

If you want a cheap iOS device, the SE was on sale for $200 through AT&T GoPhone and you can get it unlocked for free through there portal. They might restock soon. I would've held onto the AW if you own other iOS devices like a phone.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
You guys are tempting me with the S3, the frontier looks really nice and not too large. At this point I've narrowed it down to the S3 or the Tag Heuer watch. I really don't want to limit myself to Tizen though. The Huawei watch from last year is an option also, I'm assuming it got upgraded to 2.0 OS. Plus Verizon hasn't released their Gear S3 yet so my choice may already be made.

Admittedly haven't tried Android Wear 2.0 yet as I already had my Gear S3. But I've heard rather mixed things about it (specifically about notifications).

As for Tizen, tbh it is miles better than my experiences with Android Wear 1.0 on the 3 different Android watches I'd previously used. Love the way it handles notifications, and you can customise the interface with shortcuts. It's not perfect but it's extremely fast, I don't think it's failed in any way in 3.5 months and it does what I want.

You couldn't pay me to use Tizen on a phone, but personally I think Sammy have done a very good job with Tizen here. You don't have to faff around too much. I like that. A smartwatch is supposed to simplify my life, and this does the job brilliantly.

In addition, the step count is awesome - I was holding something with 2 hands and it still picked up every step perfectly, whereas my wife's Fitbit just gave up when she wasn't swinging her arms. (She got annoyed at me and my Gear S3).

Reactions: spinedoc77

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I've kind of given up on security at this point. If the Russians can hack our election I'm sure they can get to me if they want.

Honestly, I've experienced zero issues or setbacks or security problems during my entire time owning Android devices, whether they were supported by monthly security patches or not.

I only install from Play Store, and if I sideload anything, it's only from trusted sites (like from AndroidPolice).

Security patches and software updates are always welcomed in a timely fashion, but common sense really goes a long way.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Hope this helps

I'm still using the Gear S2 Classic. Also have the AW S2.

There are some things I like better on the S2 Classic right off the bat. Design, Auto sleep detection, Rotating bezel, 3rd party watch faces, and Display.

What I like about the AW better is ... App and iOS integration, iMessage, Youtube notifications(for some reason Tizen watches can't do that), and a slightly smoother experience.

Overall, I like both equally for differ reasons. They are both very reliable and get the job done for me.

I'm waiting for Android Wear to refine so I can have the best of both worlds. As someone else mentioned, I too haven't tried the recent 2.0 update yet.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

No go for AW 2.0 on the Huawei Watch...Still waiting for it on mine and they haven't announced a timeline for the update, though it will eventually get it.

I'd recommend taking it off your potential list. It's a great looking watch but it won't be able to take advantage of the best new parts of 2.0---no Android Pay, no rotating bezel for navigation. It also doesn't have GPS, if that matters for your workout tracking.
[doublepost=1491869329][/doublepost]I checked out the Gear S3 at Best Buy when I scoped out the S8 and it's certainly a great looking watch, especially in the traditional sense. I'm envious of the rotating bezel, though I do like the crown on the AW. I'd just lose out on so much vs. the AW regarding apps, i.e. Authy, 1Password, Home, Wallet, AnyList. Siri actually feels like it works better on the watch and offers seamless integration with lots of apps, including Reminders. I manage my reminders and lists off the watch by voice all day as well as control my smart lights throughout the house, either by voice or quick touches.

I find Android Wear falls short in these areas and I use a ton of Google services so I suspect the S3 couldn't measure up either, at least for my needs.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
If you want a cheap iOS device, the SE was on sale for $200 through AT&T GoPhone and you can get it unlocked for free through there portal. They might restock soon. I would've held onto the AW if you own other iOS devices like a phone.

What, just to run the AW? Seems like overkill, it's a shame Apple doesn't open the AW up to Android, but understandably that's their business model. I don't mind the money, I could just keep my 7+. But I would hate to have to carry around multiple phones just to keep the watch running, I'm not that attached to it.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Wife's. Gonna. Kill. Me.

I'm so close to being in the same boat. Had my 7+ for 7 months now. My watch is what's holding me back. 40th present from the wife, not even a year old yet. If I ditch my iPhone the watch becomes useless.
I'm keen on the black S8+ too. Might be wise to save my balls and wait for the S9 series, that's if I don't cave and get the next iPhone, which I'm not too excited for at the moment.

Reactions: blaine07

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm so close to being in the same boat. Had my 7+ for 7 months now. My watch is what's holding me back. 40th present from the wife, not even a year old yet. If I ditch my iPhone the watch becomes useless.
I'm keen on the black S8+ too. Might be wise to save my balls and wait for the S9 series, that's if I don't cave and get the next iPhone, which I'm not too excited for at the moment.

I'm sure next iPhone is going to be backordered... forever. My goal is to use 7+ and S8+ until next year when next iPhone will actually be obtained easily in my desirable configuration. I have too much invested in Apple between iPads, watch, rMBP, ATV etc to just "jump ship". If next iPhone isn't truly completely revolutionary though, I'm gonna skip it. And Apple doesn't seem to like to be risky and make more than a couple big changes at once so personally don't see the next iPhone being g revolutionary myself.

Reactions: 5105973

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
No go for AW 2.0 on the Huawei Watch...Still waiting for it on mine and they haven't announced a timeline for the update, though it will eventually get it.

I'd recommend taking it off your potential list. It's a great looking watch but it won't be able to take advantage of the best new parts of 2.0---no Android Pay, no rotating bezel for navigation. It also doesn't have GPS, if that matters for your workout tracking.
[doublepost=1491869329][/doublepost]I checked out the Gear S3 at Best Buy when I scoped out the S8 and it's certainly a great looking watch, especially in the traditional sense. I'm envious of the rotating bezel, though I do like the crown on the AW. I'd just lose out on so much vs. the AW regarding apps, i.e. Authy, 1Password, Home, Wallet, AnyList. Siri actually feels like it works better on the watch and offers seamless integration with lots of apps, including Reminders. I manage my reminders and lists off the watch by voice all day as well as control my smart lights throughout the house, either by voice or quick touches.

I find Android Wear falls short in these areas and I use a ton of Google services so I suspect the S3 couldn't measure up either, at least for my needs.

Yeah that's my fear, I really love my chunky little ugly Apple watch. But I haven't used android on a watch in a long time, since the 1st edition of the moto 360. Last time I used tizen was the original Gear S, which btw was an awesome device ignoring the lack of apps. If you really want a smartwatch I still feel the size and shape of the Gear S was optimal, especially for reading text. We really should stop being posers and just accept a smartwatch for what it is. It's not like smartphones are trying to be disguised as rotary corded ma bell phones. Just give me something sleek, thin with minimal bezels but shape it like a big rectangle like the Gear S, then I can really use it instead of wondering why I bought it.
[doublepost=1491873921][/doublepost]
I'm sure next iPhone is going to be backordered... forever. My goal is to use 7+ and S8+ until next year when next iPhone will actually be obtained easily in my desirable configuration. I have too much invested in Apple between iPads, watch, rMBP, ATV etc to just "jump ship". If next iPhone isn't truly completely revolutionary though, I'm gonna skip it. And Apple doesn't seem to like to be risky and make more than a couple big changes at once so personally don't see the next iPhone being g revolutionary myself.

If the iPhone 8 is only 5.2" I'm going to really have to think about purchasing it. Even though the 7+ is a dinosaur, it still has at least a 5.5" screen, and I would really hate to downgrade. I'm kind of hating that stupid function bar already because it is taking away screen size. Why Apple couldn't you make an 8+ as well, instead we are getting bamboozled by a 7s+, what a joke.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia

I can't afford to keep my 7+, I'll have to sell it to pay out my current contract to get the S8+. I'm quite invested in Apple myself, iPhone, iPad, iMac, ATV3, but I haven't spent a great deal on software so I wouldn't lose out too much. I have a Surface 3 that I use for a tablet, only reason I still have the Air 2 is the wife uses it daily. The iMac is a mid 2011 I got from a mate, but I've added an SSD and done the wireless ac/Bluetooth 4 card update, so it's got quite a bit of life left in it, however it hardly gets used, so wouldn't be missed if replaced with a Windows PC, which I plan on doing. The Apple TV is in it's box, I've had it for about 4 years, and never really used it.

It's more the sentiment in the AW that's holding me back, I don't want to hurt the wife's feelings (piss her off) by giving it up already, after telling her I really wanted one before she bought it.

I don't see the next iPhone being anything too special either, other than the AMOLED screen, but it sounds like there's only going to be one size, and it'll be smaller than the 7+ for useable screen area, so that's a put off for me.
If it turns out to be something extra special I'll just order the configuration I want and wait for it, and accept that the Apple shackles won't be coming off, at least for another year.

I'll check out the Gear 3 watches while I'm deciding on what to do. I guess if I could sell the AW and put the money towards a replacement things won't be so bad. It's mainly for health tracking, steps etc. and notifications. The AW is handy for reading SMS and emails that show up on it, but I rarely use it for replying.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I can't afford to keep my 7+, I'll have to sell it to pay out my current contract to get the S8+. I'm quite invested in Apple myself, iPhone, iPad, iMac, ATV3, but I haven't spent a great deal on software so I wouldn't lose out too much. I have a Surface 3 that I use for a tablet, only reason I still have the Air 2 is the wife uses it daily. The iMac is a mid 2011 I got from a mate, but I've added an SSD and done the wireless ac/Bluetooth 4 card update, so it's got quite a bit of life left in it, however it hardly gets used, so wouldn't be missed if replaced with a Windows PC, which I plan on doing. The Apple TV is in it's box, I've had it for about 4 years, and never really used it.

It's more the sentiment in the AW that's holding me back, I don't want to hurt the wife's feelings (piss her off) by giving it up already, after telling her I really wanted one before she bought it.

I don't see the next iPhone being anything too special either, other than the AMOLED screen, but it sounds like there's only going to be one size, and it'll be smaller than the 7+ for useable screen area, so that's a put off for me.
If it turns out to be something extra special I'll just order the configuration I want and wait for it, and accept that the Apple shackles won't be coming off, at least for another year.

I'll check out the Gear 3 watches while I'm deciding on what to do. I guess if I could sell the AW and put the money towards a replacement things won't be so bad. It's mainly for health tracking, steps etc. and notifications. The AW is handy for reading SMS and emails that show up on it, but I rarely use it for replying.

I can't do Windows PC. Not for me. I'm hoping this Dex thing, if they get nothing else right, let's me VM/TwamViewer into something Apple at home.

Yeah I don't use my Apple Watch much. I would, but can't wear it to work so kind of limits its use for when I work 50-60-70 hours a week. Not wearing it all day makes it hard for me to remember. Same story though, wife got it for me for Christmas. I do try to wear it when we "go out" etc but I can't wear it enough to truly track health etc with it I don't see apple going bigger on screen and changing screen type. I see just one change or the other

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
What, just to run the AW? Seems like overkill, it's a shame Apple doesn't open the AW up to Android, but understandably that's their business model. I don't mind the money, I could just keep my 7+. But I would hate to have to carry around multiple phones just to keep the watch running, I'm not that attached to it.

Oh, I thought to have a good iOS and Android experience with both sides, but the iPhone SE isn't worth if you don't need it nor want as much as the 7+.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Or you could use both and just wear the watch your in the mood for.
dc4b44d0b36ce69ebb80506b177feaa0.jpg

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
All well and good when you can afford to. Unfortunately I cannot. As much as I want to pick up an S8+ I'm starting to think I should play it safe and stick with the 7+ for the time being. That train of thought will change tomorrow though, haha.
Well, at least when it comes to software maintenance, that 7+ is likely to still get updates when the S8+, even though it's a newer device, is abandoned by Samsung. Everything depends on your priorities and for how long you're planning to own the phone.

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Everything depends on your priorities and for how long you're planning to own the phone.

I generally upgrade every year, so obsolescence isn't an issue for me. I do it yearly for the new toy, and I usually sell the old phone to cover the cost of upgrading early with my carrier, or now they give you the option to hand your old phone in and upgrade early for $149. I'll probably sell the 7+ if I still have it at that time, as I generally make enough from selling privately to pay out the old contract, and pocket a few $$$ for myself.

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Well, at least when it comes to software maintenance, that 7+ is likely to still get updates when the S8+, even though it's a newer device, is abandoned by Samsung. Everything depends on your priorities and for how long you're planning to own the phone.

Yup, for longevity nobody supports their phones like apple does with the iPhone. My iPhone 5S which I've now had for almost 4 years is running the latest firmware, is still compatible with all the apps I use, and still runs fairly smooth (plus the design is just classic).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.