Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
That wasn't 'bravery' to stop selling the Note 7, it was necessity. They had no choice but to recall.

Likewise are you suggesting launching with Bixby in the USA (and I assume we are talking only about the voice recognition part of Bixby) is akin to a dangerous hardware defect ?

I didn't suggest holding back Bixby was a bad thing, but this machismo factor that kicks in with some users to declare anything like this as BRAVE that i find questionable. Not releasing it because it has issues is not bravery, it's a valid necessity.

There is really twisted logic that goes on in forums.

I think you read into things too much. I think this is the third time you've done this in the last week. I'm just saying that it was a brave move to admit that it's not ready instead of forcing it. They'll also save themselves a potentially worse PR nightmare by saying it's not ready now instead of releasing it with a bunch of bugs.

Reactions: From A Buick 8

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think you read into things too much. I think this is the third time you've done this in the last week. I'm just saying that it was a brave move to admit that it's not ready instead of forcing it. They'll also save themselves a potentially worse PR nightmare by saying it's not ready now instead of releasing it with a bunch of bugs.
But for the very reason you post at the end here shows it wasn't 'bravery' it was a valid necessity. It's the descriptors / semantics you used to describe the action that i am questioning, not the actual action itself.

The word brave / bravery has a habit of being utilised or championed in this sub-forum a lot when it's actually misplaced / misused.

The protestor who stood up to the tank on Tianamon Square was Brave. Nelson Mandela was Brave. Holding back a broken software feature on a phone because it's not ready for launch isn't bravery.

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
But for the very reason you post at the end here shows it wasn't 'bravery' it was a valid necessity. It's the descriptors / semantics used to describe the action that i am questioning, not the actual action itself.

Well I stand by my original comment but I'm not in the mood to argue.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I'm with MRU, I wouldn't call it "bravery" to hold it back. If it's too buggy to launch, it sounds more like "stupidity" to create a hardware button specifically for an app that isn't ready. Someone brought up Apple's Bokah being delayed. True enough but its one feature of the camera. Bixby is 1:1 of Bixby.

Reactions: co.ag.2005 and MRU

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
In all fairness, I didn't originally call it brave. MRU put those words in my mouth. I just said that they had the balls to delay it instead of rushing a product that wasn't ready. I don't think it's an ideal scenario by any means. I just appreciate that they made the call to perfect it a little more if the product truly was not ready. That's all.

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
In all fairness, I didn't originally call it brave. MRU put those words in my mouth. I just said that they had the balls to delay it instead of rushing a product that wasn't ready. I don't think it's an ideal scenario by any means. I just appreciate that they made the call to perfect it a little more if the product truly was not ready. That's all.
That's true in fairness ... I think we're all just past our bedtime. Sorry for arguing semantics and at the end of the day were actually agreeing that it was the proper course of action to delay it if it isn't ready.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5go...-support-bixby-voice-assistant-at-launch/amp/

Bixby won't be ready in time for the launch next week. This gives me pause. Not because I care about Bixby but if a feature Sammy has spent so much time touting and even dedicated hardware to on the device isn't ready, what else are they rushing on the phone?
I'm sure many normal users would probably never use Bixby (Google Assistant and Now are pretty much ingrained after all this time) and people that are tech savvy were probably going to remap the button anyway (likely to become a camera button a la Nokia Lumia devices). And while Bixby may prove to be an awesome AI sometime in the future, I doubt it will truly ever catch on. Samsung ruined everybody's expectations with S-Voice. No coming back from that mess!

Reactions: jamezr

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
so, we got a rushed out fingerprint scan and now a key feature that wont work for 100% (not that I will use Bixby on my new S8, but thats not the point).

What will be next?
We'll find out next week! ;)

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
so, we got a rushed out fingerprint scan and now a key feature that wont work for 100% (not that I will use Bixby on my new S8, but thats not the point).

What will be next?

I don't think the FPS was rushed out so much as not designed great. They wanted it in the screen, and the phone is likely packed up everywhere else on the back.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Between this and the last minute dropping of the dual cameras because they had to use the space for the FPS because they couldn't get that to work in the screen... I feel like the S8 could have used some more time in the oven.

just my 2cts.

Still excited for next week, though!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

What will be next?
FPS wasn't rushed. It is the same as last year. Only the placement on the phone is different. They ran out of time developing the under the screen FPS. IF Samsung had used the new tech THAT would have been rushed.

Reactions: JaySoul

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010
Between this and the last minute dropping of the dual cameras because they had to use the space for the FPS because they couldn't get that to work in the screen... I feel like the S8 could have used some more time in the oven.

just my 2cts.

Still excited for next week, though!
That is what's gets me more excited for the Note 8, it should be a beast.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
seriously bixby been announced it won't work on launch...then why on earth didn't they just wait to put it on the note 8? whats the use of advertising a feature on a new phone yet it won't work on launch

Reactions: Oohara

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
seriously bixby been announced it won't work on launch...then why on earth didn't they just wait to put it on the note 8? whats the use of advertising a feature on a new phone yet it won't work on launch

Part of Bixbi/Bixby won't be available during launch. Voice component won't be available, other features of Bixby are there. It's with english language that the issue has been reported, koreans get full feature during launch.

Samsung Pay was launched like that with S6. Was not available during release of S6, was added later. Bixby is not going to get incredible JARVIS-like powers in a single day. How long did it take Siri or Google Now to come to this point? They worked for like 5 years and look at the amount of progress that have? Even after 5 years, hardly any apps can integrate with them. Bixbi is not to get magical powers all of a sudden. It will take 2/3 years before it becomes relevant. But with Samsung, you can be sure they will pour tons of resources onto something they think needs improvement. From S5->S8 their changed their phone design drastically and surpassed everyone. If that identified Bixby as their priority, they will do everything to improve it in coming months/years (unlike Google's lack of focus).

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Part of Bixbi/Bixby won't be available during launch. Voice component won't be available, other features of Bixby are there. It's with english language that the issue has been reported, koreans get full feature during launch.

Samsung Pay was launched like that with S6. Was not available during release of S6, was added later. Bixby is not going to get incredible JARVIS-like powers in a single day. How long did it take Siri or Google Now to come to this point? They worked for like 5 years and look at the amount of progress that have? Even after 5 years, hardly any apps can integrate with them. Bixbi is not to get magical powers all of a sudden. It will take 2/3 years before it becomes relevant. But with Samsung, you can be sure they will pour tons of resources onto something they think needs improvement. From S5->S8 their changed their phone design drastically and surpassed everyone. If that identified Bixby as their priority, they will do everything to improve it in coming months/years (unlike Google's lack of focus).
Sure it'll keep improving over the years just like any other new tech, but I still agree that it might have been in Samsung's own interest to avoid having to say "Ummm, wait sorry guys...it turns out that one of the features we were highlighting for our new phone, emphasised by the fact that we've added a whole new hardware button for it, doesn't work in most of the world so we'll actually let you wait for it a while ok?" Especially since the S8 brings so much other new stuff to the table, they really didn't need to try and cram an unfinished Bixby in there. Given that they now had to announce this delay in the middle of their launch hype, it'll probably do more harm than good.

Reactions: widgeteer

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ugh. Just talked to someone on xda who got it already and he said the volume warning is still there.

Do you know if its a constant nag every time you plug in your headphones and turn the volume up, or if it is a once off nag prompt, that once dismissed after first displayed, will never nag you again (much like how the pixel handles it) ?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Do you know if its a constant nag overtime you plug in headphones and turn the volume up, or if it is a once off nag that once dismissed will never nag you again (like how the pixel handles it).

I'll ask! If it's the constant nag I may need to rethink this phone. I know it sounds petty but as someone that uses Bluetooth in my car, the warning is a huge inconvenience.

Reactions: co.ag.2005 and MRU

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
It's interesting how the choice of material affects the "feel" of the phone. I agree that the iPhone "feels" more substantial, more durable, just better. Of course it looks like an outdated piece of crap once you open your eyes and look at it, but the feel in the hand is superb. I wonder what will happen when the iPhone has a glass back like the S8. Will the iPhone still somehow retain that old school feel? Or will we condition ourselves to a new paradigm finally.

I agree otherwise as well. The curvature is a negative, accentuating the shortcomings of the weird aspect ratio. It's still a beautiful phone, simply stunning and I wouldn't say no to it. In fact I continue to fight the urge to buy one. Mainly because I really want to see what Apple comes out with. I'm also holding out hope that the Note 8 is 16:9, maybe it needs that extra width to fit the stylus silo. But I think I can be patient with my 7+ for now, I prefer the aspect ratio, but am jealous of how easily the s8 is to hold.

Honestly I wouldn't say that the 7/7 Plus is ugly at all, I still think it's (the matte black one) a beautiful device even though today it has a small screen for its size. What really looks like an outdated piece of crap is iOS :D

But yeah, the physical sensation of holding the device obviously is very important to Apple. Just look at how they've fine tuned the haptic engine for the iPhone (and the Mac). I'm still impressed by that sharp 'tac' whenever the notification shade hits the bottom of the screen.

And I'm sure it's important to Samsung too. It's just that they're following another paradigm/ideal. For the S8 this didn't align well with my preferences but of course many other will love it.

...but am jealous of how easily the s8 is to hold

I dunno, I'm not that jealous of this given that large parts of the screen actually seem kind of useless to me. I look at it and see basically a S7 with transparent bezels. The Mate 9 however, same footprint as the 7 Plus/Pixel XL, with a 5.9" and 16:9 screen...now that makes me jealous :D Oh and the Xiaomi Mi Mix too of course, which you mentioned earlier.

I agree that the S8 and S8 plus are absolutely beautiful objects in themselves though. That still makes me kind of lust for one. But the "huge screen" hype...to me it mostly falls under the "oh, neat-o!" category. Not so much "oh wow that's really useful".

Disclaimer: I'm not an Apple fanboy and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade here, just being a bit critical of this new screen format paradigm - and if I later realise that after all the narrow screen format actually is useful then I'll be more than happy to eat my words! :D

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Just received my first New case for the S8+ (damn you slick deals) also recevied the check from samsung for returung my note 7. All i need now is the phone.

I had to remove the slick deals app from my phone, i have ordered 4 casees allready for this thing.

Reactions: MRU

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Do you know if its a constant nag every time you plug in your headphones and turn the volume up, or if it is a once off nag prompt, that once dismissed after first displayed, will never nag you again (much like how the pixel handles it) ?

Ugh yes it is the constant nag and no way to disable it. Now I'm not sure what I want to do. That nag seriously hampers my experience.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ugh yes it is the constant nag and no way to disable it. Now I'm not sure what I want to do. That nag seriously hampers my experience.

It's so annoying that such a little thing gets overlooked every time they release a significant update to touchwiz.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.