Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
lol then there is that! Some of us can't decide which we like better so....we have BOTH! :)

haha exactly, I use to use one device and bonce between android and ios and I said forget this and picked up another line so I can rock both, now where the confusion will come up is when the Note 8 comes out.
[doublepost=1492016058][/doublepost]
I am. I've only ever had iPhones. Mostly the screen and customization options that are tempting me. The screen is beautiful, makes everything else look like a brick IMO. Not real crazy about Bixby and the dedicated button and the placement of the fingerprint sensor. I have a 6 Plus now so I'm going on 2 1/2 - 3 years. I pay cash for my phones so I want to be sure I'll be happy with what I buy for 2-3 years. I'm also intrigued by the OnePlus 5. Ideally I'd wait until fall to see what the new iPhone and Note will offer.

One thing that kind of bugged me. I went to Best Buy (to buy something else) and when I picked up the S8 it started talking and giving a marketing spiel. I immediately put it down and walked away. :p

I hate when they come up to me talking about the device when Im sure I know more than they do regarding it lol. But hey its their job they don't know we are true phone junkies haha.

Reactions: 5105973

kilcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2011
haha exactly, I use to use one device and bonce between android and ios and I said forget this and picked up another line so I can rock both, now where the confusion will come up is when the Note 8 comes out.
[doublepost=1492016058][/doublepost]

I hate when they come up to me talking about the device when Im sure I know more than they do regarding it lol. But hey its their job they don't know we are true phone junkies haha.

This was not a person though! The phone itself started playing audio talking about the features. It freaked me out!

Reactions: 5105973

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Ha! Now there's a report that Apple is having trouble putting the fingerprint sensor under the screen as well. Makes me not feel so bad about Samsung not being able to pull it off. I wonder if this technology isn't going to work or if it just needs more time overall.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Ha! Now there's a report that Apple is having trouble putting the fingerprint sensor under the screen as well. Makes me not feel so bad about Samsung not being able to pull it off. I wonder if this technology isn't going to work or if it just needs more time overall.

Everyone will get on Samsung for not being able to pull it off but now Apple is going through the same hardships. Is it a function that's before it's time? Seems like it.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Everyone will get on Samsung for not being able to pull it off but now Apple is going through the same hardships. Is it a function that's before it's time? Seems like it.

Agreed. And it makes me wonder if maybe the future of unlocking is within the iris recognition. Assuming it safe and accurate in reality that seems like the easiest most convenient way to unlock the phone.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Agreed. And it makes me wonder if maybe the future of unlocking is within the iris recognition. Assuming it safe and accurate in reality that seems like the easiest most convenient way to unlock the phone.

I'm just not sold on the Iris scanner even though the reports are saying it's working pretty good on the S8. I wanna see how the fingerprint scanner works out for me on the back when I get my Plus. I have pretty big hands and the scanner isn't too bad of a reach for me so we will see. If the iris is the way of the future I still think they have kinks to work out with it.

Reactions: mjschabow

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I'll ask! If it's the constant nag I may need to rethink this phone. I know it sounds petty but as someone that uses Bluetooth in my car, the warning is a huge inconvenience.
Really with most good devices or cars it's not solely dependent on phones setting for volume etc and is overridden by device or car audio setting

I get in my car with phone in my pocket and all the settings appear on my car screen from where I left off and volume is set from the steering wheel

Same for my BT speaker I use around the pool my phone sits in the shade and I move and adjust volume from the speaker

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Everyone is on samsung because they placed the scanner in a bad location, its obvious they rushed it. The Pixel for instance has a optimal location.

Yeah it was definitely a last minute choice. I guess they didn't want to do the center since that's their historic camera location.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Everyone is on samsung because they placed the scanner in a bad location, its obvious they rushed it. The Pixel for instance has a optimal location.

I think it depends on the size of your hand and what pocket you keep your phone in. I'm right handed and keep my phone in my back-right pocket. I've been testing with my S8 case and I've found that when pulling out of my pocket with my right hand, my index finger easily touches the location where the scanner is. (Without a case it might be different.) So, I believe that this will allow the phone to already be unlocked as soon as I pull it out of my rear pocket. During the time I had the Pixel I had to purposely find the location of the scanner. My index finger doesn't naturally rest in the middle of the back of the phone when removing it from pocket but it does naturally rest at the corner of the phone where the S8 scanner is.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I'm just not sold on the Iris scanner even though the reports are saying it's working pretty good on the S8. I wanna see how the fingerprint scanner works out for me on the back when I get my Plus. I have pretty big hands and the scanner isn't too bad of a reach for me so we will see. If the iris is the way of the future I still think they have kinks to work out with it.

Just a shame you have to swipe up to get the iris scanner to work shame it can't just track your eyes when you raise the phone up to your face

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Where you hear that? The tech should be ready by September surely

Would ruin apples plans if it's not under the screen

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Worth reiterating that I'm glad Samsung didn't rush the front FPS under the display before it was ready. Samsung from 3 years ago might have made a different decision.

As for Bixby, that is unfortunate especially because Bixby showed a lot of promise. I'm mainly interested in how Bixby can handle any task via voice -- I really want to put that to the test, especially during driving. Having said that, I don't think the Bixby delay should affect anyone too seriously especially since I wager most of us will be remapping the button anyway whether we like or dislike Bixby.

Once re-mapped, the additional hardware button, I think, will actually be an awesome feature. I'm most likely going to make it into a long-press to toggle sound profiles if I can.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Worth reiterating that I'm glad Samsung didn't rush the front FPS under the display before it was ready. Samsung from 3 years ago might have made a different decision.

As for Bixby, that is unfortunate especially because Bixby showed a lot of promise. I'm mainly interested in how Bixby can handle any task via voice -- I really want to put that to the test, especially during driving. Having said that, I don't think the Bixby delay should affect anyone too seriously especially since I wager most of us will be remapping the button anyway whether we like or dislike Bixby.

Once re-mapped, the additional hardware button, I think, will actually be an awesome feature. I'm most likely going to make it into a long-press to toggle sound profiles if I can.

I don't think it's good idea remapping it when that app would have access to card and text information.

I'm sure most here will use google assistant anyway

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006

I'm hoping to remap it to IFTTT recipes for turning my lights on and off. That'll make the extra button worth it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.