Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It just reminded me how good iMessage/Rich Notifications are. And we use them quite a bit with GIPHY too. It's just going to be tough to give that up even though the S8 looks so much better in many ways.
:)

Same functionality is there with WhatsApp etc :) but your fiancé would need the app too

Not sure with Imessage you can save file and add to your collection too ?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
:)

Same functionality is there with WhatsApp etc :) but your fiancé would need the app too

Not sure with Imessage you can save file and add to your collection too ?

Yeah the big inconvenience there is that literally 85-90% of my friends and family have iPhones. So they would all need WhatsApp. Just don't see that happening.

With iPhone you can save that content from the messages app.

I know it's just one thing, but as I'm working through my decision, iMessage appears to be a bigger issue than I originally thought.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
iMessage with a friend or significant other is a lot of fun between the stickers you can send each other and GIPHY and music and stuff that I've made fun of in the past on this forum. And of course it's great for more professional communication with groups of people.

I got the iPhone 7 Plus and the display is beautiful. The camera is finally how I want it. I think the thing my Samsung is better at is recording video with better sound. The actual visuals, iPhone 7Plus does better, but my Samsung gives me amazing multidirectional sound. And it works better as a phone. My iPhone conversations can be pretty choppy sometimes.

Still, it's a good refinement over the iPhone 6S Plus I had and leaps and bounds better than my iPhone 6Plus.

I don't think I would trade my 7Plus for an S8 at this point if I could have only one. If I had to go to only one phone then I think the choice might come down between the iPhone 7Plus and Note8 or S9...when they get the fingerprint sensor located in a better place and refine anything that might be annoying in the S8.
If you want to OD on stickers especially animated and with sound try Line the selection is massive and esp the Thai's love it with whole sets just dedicated to partners etc :)

Many cute characters and the usual freebies based around popular companies

It's like taken to a whole new level which many escape me :) but still fun
[doublepost=1492093080][/doublepost]
Yeah the big inconvenience there is that literally 85-90% of my friends and family have iPhones. So they would all need WhatsApp. Just don't see that happening.

With iPhone you can save that content from the messages app.

I know it's just one thing, but as I'm working through my decision, iMessage appears to be a bigger issue than I originally thought.
Agreed no gain without pain :)

Regardless if your going IOS to Android or Android to IOS :D

Reactions: mjschabow

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
So, is anyone looking at this thread a current iPhone user who is going to switch to the s8 or s8+?

I might be one of them!
So last Aug i made the switch when the Note 7 came out. I had been using iOS since 2011. The note 7 was my first exp with android. I finally had to give my note 7 up at the end of January. I really enjoyed the android exp, after i sent my note 7 back i went back to using iOS on an old 5s that i had laying around. I am really looking forward to getting my S8+ and getting back to android, there was really nothing in iOS that i missed or that i could not find a way to do the same thing with android.

The android OS really felt new and fresh to me, allowed for almost unlimited customization options. Now that i have been back using iOS while waiting on the S8 iOS really does feel old and limited to me.

YMMV

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
iMessage with a friend or significant other is a lot of fun between the stickers you can send each other and GIPHY and music and stuff that I've made fun of in the past on this forum. And of course it's great for more professional communication with groups of people.

I got the iPhone 7 Plus and the display is beautiful. The camera is finally how I want it. I think the thing my Samsung is better at is recording video with better sound. The actual visuals, iPhone 7Plus does better, but my Samsung gives me amazing multidirectional sound. And it works better as a phone. My iPhone conversations can be pretty choppy sometimes.

Still, it's a good refinement over the iPhone 6S Plus I had and leaps and bounds better than my iPhone 6Plus.

I don't think I would trade my 7Plus for an S8 at this point if I could have only one. If I had to go to only one phone then I think the choice might come down between the iPhone 7Plus and Note8 or S9...when they get the fingerprint sensor located in a better place and refine anything that might be annoying in the S8.

Yeah my S7 Edge was my main video camera for my YouTube channel and that was mainly due to the great microphone on the device. I haven't invested in an DSLR yet but it's hard to when these phone cameras are super high quality. I plan to use my iPhone 7 Plus with an external mic for shooting anything S8+ related and used the S8 for shooting anything iPhone related.

Reactions: 5105973

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
iris.JPG
Just a shame you have to swipe up to get the iris scanner to work shame it can't just track your eyes when you raise the phone up to your face
Looks like it might be different this time around. from the S8/S8+ manual.

View attachment 696008

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yeah my S7 Edge was my main video camera for my YouTube channel and that was mainly due to the great microphone on the device. I haven't invested in an DSLR yet but it's hard to when these phone cameras are super high quality. I plan to use my iPhone 7 Plus with an external mic for shooting anything S8+ related and used the S8 for shooting anything iPhone related.
You have a nice channel. I don't have an account yet so I can't subscribe but when I get around to making the account I'll be back to sub your channel. I was enjoying your Spigen Airfit 360 case review when my iPad crapped out on me toward the end. I'm not sure if it's my iPad or my wifi. We are having a LOT of internet problems with Verizon lately.

I was wearing my stereo headphones and at one point in the video you must have set something down because I heard a "clack" and I looked around thinking my cat had gotten into something behind me. If that was recorded with your S7Edge it would not surprise me, because I'm used to audio from the S7's being that immersive and giving the listener the feeling they are really there. When I look at videos of our school Halloween celebration that I took with my S7 Edge, and I listen with my headphones on, I feel like I'm right back reliving that moment again, because all the sounds are coming at me like they were in real life.

Now I can see that being a problem if we want the sound to be focused exclusively from a certain direction, like a stage.

When I was recording my daughter's school musical, for instance, I didn't necessarily want to pick up the sound of my mother-in-law rooting around in her purse for a Kleenex next to me. I will need to check but I think there might be settings in the S8 to control the directions the mic will pick up from. I think the LG V20 can do that.

By the way what is the glass screen protector you're using on your 7Plus? I can't remember which one I just bought but it's awful. It won't stick around the edges and the teeniest tiniest speck of dust in the universe caused a massive ugly bubble that refuses to settle out.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
all the videos i have seen have shown it's the same as the note 7. hopefully apple use the iris scanner to be activated when you use the rise to wake feature.

Just curious. I see that you have a matte black 7. That's what I'm going to go to if I don't get the S8. So I'm wondering are you going with the S8 or staying put?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I wonder how well the s8 and + are really selling. On BB they have full stock for 4/21 delivery still. I remember reading a few articles saying it would be sold out.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Just curious. I see that you have a matte black 7. That's what I'm going to go to if I don't get the S8. So I'm wondering are you going with the S8 or staying put?
i have been very tempted to get the S8 plus gone back and forth a lot about it but i will stick with my 7 plus and wait till apple announce the new OLED iPhone and review my options come september time. chances are will get the new iPhone as i'm very invested in apple now.

That said my dad has pre ordered the S8 plus so i will be using his and helping him get sorted and setup with that so i will still use the s8 plus on a daily or weekly basics to still get a good view on that. I'm sure i will be tempted again to get it but i've got to hold firm and say no lol but i'am very impressed by it so far so will get a good hands on with it on the 20th of april when it's due to arrive.
[doublepost=1492105531][/doublepost]
I wonder how well the s8 and + are really selling. On BB they have full stock for 4/21 delivery still. I remember reading a few articles saying it would be sold out.
well here in the UK you can pre order with carriers and still get it 8 days early on the 20th of april so there is either loads of stock or demand isn't as strong..it's tough to know.

I mean it's been what 1-2 weeks since the event and i could ring up any carrier or CPW/samsung site now and still get it 8 days early.

Reactions: mjschabow

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

Well it could be a few things:

1) it could be that Samsung has produced so many because of the whole note 7 debacle and they want to make sure that everyone who wants one can get one.

2) the note 7 debacle could have caused a lot of people to get iPhone 7's instead or an entirely different device.

3) people are waiting for customers to have real life experience before getting one.

My guess is option number 3.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Everything I have read so far points to twice the demand for the S8/8+ than the S7/edge at launch. Samsung has said they expected this and will have enough inventory on hand to meet the demand.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I'm excited about the multiple ways you can unlock.

Facial unlock can be used for convenience. And IRIS and fingerprint for extra security.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I assume the pattern unlock is still available ? If I do get one, that is what I'll likely end up using - with smart unlock enabled to my fitness watch thus bypassing security altogether most of the time when the device is with me.

Re: sales. I think it's likely a combination of all the factors people have suggested. There is likely more stock, and equally likewise more folks just waiting to see what happens in the first few weeks - after all it wasn't until a couple weeks after the N7 launched that we started hearing of issues which then bloomed. So some users may simply be waiting to see if within that 4-6 week period any issues come to light.

Either way it will inevitably be the biggest selling Android flagship of 2017 regardless.

Reactions: mattopotamus

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
I was hoping to pick up in Unlocked Dual Sim in Thailand but release is 21st (the day I fly out) but UAE is from 15th I just checked several stores and 2 are sold out and the others are 85% pre-ordered

Last edited:

Nr123*123

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2014
I am in awe of the design, but it's just too expensive for me to justify and perhaps other people?

£680 for a phone?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.