Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
This is not surprising to me. When I had the S7 Edge, I used to get at least 2 hours more game play time vs what I get on the 7 Plus now. It's always been the Stand-By life that iPhone is still the king of, but there has been several Android flagship phones from multiple manufacturers that have a noticeable longer onscreen life.

Actually with Doze in Android standby time is getting pretty good these days.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Totally agree. The N8 is going to have great features to position itself next to the iPhone 8 release. Better dual camera and FPS under the display and enhanced S Pen features.

Cannot pull the trigger on the s8. I don't really want the larger one and the N8, ip8, OP 5 would be lurking. I rather not jump, It would not take the OnePlus out of the equation cause I can still get one of the others and buy the Oneplus cheaper outright than the s8.

Is the s8 a game changer, not to me versus the n8 or ip8 though neither are more than speculative at this point but ....

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Cannot pull the trigger on the s8. I don't really want the larger one and the N8, ip8, OP 5 would be lurking. I rather not jump, It would not take the OnePlus out of the equation cause I can still get one of the others and buy the Oneplus cheaper outright than the s8.

Is the s8 a game changer, not to me versus the n8 or ip8 though neither are more than speculative at this point but ....
The S8+ is a step in the right direction for me anyway....but I will be using JoD to get the Note 8 and IP8.
I will wait to see if OPO improves the camera on the OPO5 to really match the current flagship phones.

Reactions: Oohara and MRU

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Are you implying the Note 8 will have a better dual camera then the iPhone 8, or that it will simply have a better dual camera setup then the Note 7 single camera?
Wow...Where did you get all that? It will have a dual camera setup and FPS under the display.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Question for JoD customers: would it be smart to pay the remaining balance on my iP7+ so I can sell it? Then trade a cheaper phone for the S8+? I don't have much left to pay and figured I can flip it and earn some of that cash back.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm pretty determined to sit out the iphone 8. I'm starting to get buried under all of my phones. I've got my heart set on the Note 8. If I get it I'll have to see if I can trade my S7Edge in via AT&T Next. Unlike iPhones, I can't really pass an Android phone along to other family members. They are either intimidated by Android or disinterested.

Reactions: blaine07 and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm pretty determined to sit out the iphone 8. I'm starting to get buried under all of my phones. I've got my heart set on the Note 8. If I get it I'll have to see if I can trade my S7Edge in via AT&T Next. Unlike iPhones, I can't really pass an Android phone along to other family members. They are either intimidated by Android or disinterested.

Did you mean sit out the S8 ....

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Question for JoD customers: would it be smart to pay the remaining balance on my iP7+ so I can sell it? Then trade a cheaper phone for the S8+? I don't have much left to pay and figured I can flip it and earn some of that cash back.
I guess it depends if you have the jumps left. If you jump to a cheaper phone at a store you will have to tunr in your IP7+ right then and there. If you order over the phone you have 2 weeks to turn it in.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
A perspective on iris scanning vs legacy fingerprint technology.

Glad they went with the best technology available instead of the cheapest and most profitable. Much like SAMOLED vs LCD. In this case, the company that makes the iris scanning technology, Princeton Identity, is New Jersey based which is home to the likes of Bell Labs, Princeton University, etc.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...-reportedly-trumps-fbi-s-fingerprint-tech.htm

FBI "uses 13 points of identification per fingerprint," so 10 fingers can amount to 130 unique identifiers. On the other hand, the iris scanner on the Galaxy S8 can register up to 200 identifying features only from a single iris. Which is even more impressive if you consider that the scanner scans two irises, meaning the amount of identifying features amount up to 400.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Depends, even though I am not a JoD customer. I inquired about it but I didn't feel it was worth the hassle and the program didn't really suit my needs. How much is the balance on the 7+? Chances are the balance is still high enough to make the hassle of selling it not worth it. What phone would you trade towards the S8+ anyways? You won't get good value on a good phone ($129 for the S7, lol). JoD might limit what phone you can upgrade to since the Windows phone they had is no longer available.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I guess it depends if you have the jumps left. If you jump to a cheaper phone at a store you will have to tunr in your IP7+ right then and there. If you order over the phone you have 2 weeks to turn it in.

Depends, even though I am not a JoD customer. I inquired about it but I didn't feel it was worth the hassle and the program didn't really suit my needs. How much is the balance on the 7+? Chances are the balance is still high enough to make the hassle of selling it not worth it. What phone would you trade towards the S8+ anyways? You won't get good value on a good phone ($129 for the S7, lol). JoD might limit what phone you can upgrade to since the Windows phone they had is no longer available.

Thanks for the response, guys.

If not mistaken, I have about two payments left to completely own the iPhone. So, I figured I pay it off and sell on Swappa. I would then purchase a cheap prepaid phone and use that as a trade in to get the S8. I believe I have all my jumps available.

Edit: I was wrong, I have a few more payments left. Total payoff is $216.

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
A perspective on iris scanning vs legacy fingerprint technology.

Glad they went with the best technology available instead of the cheapest and most profitable. Much like SAMOLED vs LCD. In this case, the company that makes the iris scanning technology, Princeton Identity, is New Jersey based which is home to the likes of Bell Labs, Princeton University, etc.

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/2...-reportedly-trumps-fbi-s-fingerprint-tech.htm

Good post. Have you or anyone used iris before? Wondering if it's quick or tedious.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks for the response, guys.

If not mistaken, I have about two payments left to completely own the iPhone. So, I figured I pay it off and sell on Swappa. I would then purchase a cheap prepaid phone and use that as a trade in to get the S8. I believe I have all my jumps available.

Would make absolutely no sense to give the iP7+ back if you only have two payments left.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Just thought of something, Samsung says the S8's diagonal screen usable space is 5.6". With a 18.5:9 aspect ratio the useable screen area is 79.55cm2, the 7 Plus 5.5" 16:9 aspect ratio is 83.33cm2. 5.8" is a little deceiving but it's still AMAZING they cram almost as much screen area in the size of an iPhone 7.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Would make absolutely no sense to give the iP7+ back if you only have two payments left.

So I look into and I was way off in terms of how many payments I have left. I have $216 left to pay the device off. Is it still worth paying it off and reselling it on Swappa? Or I'm still getting a better deal in trading it in?

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013

I've never understood why this perplexes people. If you pay off the device and sell it you keep the money. If you trade it in, you lose every cent you've ever paid in on it and have nothing to show for it. No brainer to me. JOD (and similar programs) bank on customers wanting the latest and greatest so badly that they don't care that they are willing to throw money away to get the best new phone.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Got the Gear S3 on contract for 50$ because I preordered the s8+. Really liking it so far, but wonder what ever happened to Tizen 3.0.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
So I look into and I was way off in terms of how many payments I have left. I have $216 left to pay the device off. Is it still worth paying it off and reselling it on Swappa? Or I'm still getting a better deal in trading it in?

Pay it off. rockitdog already explained why.

I personally never keep a phone on JOD longer than the time it takes to pay half the price for it. That's what makes it worth it for me. But at least you did it with the i7+ which has great resale value. To keep an Android phone on JOD for too long, would be a huge loss if you choose to keep it, being that the value will probably be cut in half.

Reactions: HiDEF

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Battery endurance comparison between S8+ and S8 shows there's not much compromise on battery life going down in size (7% left on S8+ when S8 shuts down at 6:12) unlike iPhone + to non +. Insane they both last so long gaming with flashlight enabled since gaming alone on other devices usually drain the battery much faster.

Last edited:

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
Was planning on switching to Verizon but I have 2 people on my T-Mobile plan who have 7+ phones. Didn't realize that the T-Mobile phones were different, and not compatible with VZ

I don't want to start new EIP with VZ so I just ordered on JOD. Had to pay the $130 deposit which really chafes my butt.

Pretty annoyed that the didn't just divide it equally

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.