Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
This. I definitely don't want an €800+ device to have a dedicated hardware button that basically says "Screw you, second rate citizen. The awesome **** behind this button works only in countries we deem better than yours. It's so awesome that we're not going to let you remap it for anything useful in your pitiful country. Why don't you just move here for an optimal experience?" At least Apple's version is an internal NFC chip that I can just pretend isn't there in the first place.
I think it's more along the lines of "Y'all talk English kinda funny. Ain't nobody here can understand that stuff so it's going to be a bit of a wait." :p;)

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I say this as someone who is eagerly awaiting his S8+:

This is why it's dumb to insist Apple's physical design looks "antiquated" compared to the new Galaxies. You can't complain about FP scanner placement, a physical button mapped to an app you don't want, etc and ignore those as part of the phone's physical design. The iPhone may not offer a bezel-less version (yet) but it's FP placement and duel speaker set up, as one example, may in and of itself prove to be a huge improvement on the S8/S8+.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Just heard that the Bixby button can't be remapped. Pre-order cancelled. Samsung better add magical unicorns to the Note 8 or it's going to be all Apple this year for me. I normally get a Apple and Android device each year.

Attachments

• cancel.JPG
    cancel.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 130

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Just heard that the Bixby button can't be remapped. Pre-order cancelled. Samsung better add magical unicorns to the Note 8 or it's going to be all Apple this year for me. I normally get a Apple and Android device each year.

I would never cancel a pre-order based on a button. Especially since I pre-ordered before I even knew or thought about the possibility of remapping it. Funny thing is, I'll put my money on it, that they will find a new way to remap it even without root very soon.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013

Yikes! Hopefully it was an impulse buy if you were this impulsive to cancel it.

Reactions: Demo Kit

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Doubt anybody really cares like the rotation lock and mute switch. Frees up a spot for millions of others waiting.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

you ordered before you knew it could be remapped, right?

Reactions: Demo Kit

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Yikes! Hopefully it was an impulse buy if you were this impulsive to cancel it.

Yes it was. I already own a 256GB iPhone 7 Plus. And I just sold my Pixel and iPhone SE with a decent profit last week. The S8 wasn't going to my daily driver. More my Android play thing.

On the brightside I still have my Nexus 6 and Nexus 7 2013 which I just updated to 7.1.2 (unofficially) today. We will see if the Note 8 features can make me forget Bixby.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fernandez21

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
Today I test the S8 and S8+ in an At&T store. I really like the phone, I preorder the S8 in orchid gray. I know there is a “smart switch" to transfer from my iPhone 6 to the S8. Anyone test transferring the music from the iPhone to a galaxy phone (s7) using the smart switch?

Forgive my English, is not my first language

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Today I test the S8 and S8+ in an At&T store. I really like the phone, I preorder the S8 in orchid gray. I know there is a “smart switch" to transfer from my iPhone 6 to the S8. Anyone test transferring the music from the iPhone to a galaxy phone (s7) using the smart switch?

Forgive my English, is not my first language

Did you go with the AT&T Next plan or with the phone outright? I think music switched over from my old iPhone to a Note 5 I borrowed from a family member.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So it takes Samsung many, many months to bring the latest version of Android to their devices, but when someone creates a way to remap their hardware button, they are able to get out a firmware update in a matter of days. :rolleyes:

Yup, it's all the mobile carriers fault for delayed updates...;)

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
How much is the monthly payment? Would you upgrade before the 30th month?

For the 30 months it's $25.00 monthly. Yes you upgrade with a trade-in ( the S8) and when 80% of sales price is paid off. You can upgrade anytime if you paid off the balance due of the phone. I'm going to paid off the phone before the 30 months.

Reactions: nviz22

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
For the 30 months it's $25.00 monthly. Yes you upgrade with a trade-in ( the S8) and when 80% of sales price is paid off. You can upgrade anytime if you paid off the balance due of the phone. I'm going to paid off the phone before the 30 months.

Would you go Note 8 or S9?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
the Note 8
I like the pen, I take many notes in my line of work.
Before the note 7 "battery fire situation" I was ready to jump to the note series.

If the Note 8 offers a 4k display, 6gb RAM, no reason to get the S9 tbh.

Anyways, I preordered the S8 in Midnight Black. Can't wait!

Reactions: Nand

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Whoa, my husband just got an email saying his DeX dock is now on back order! He was a day one pre-order from the Samsung site. He and the 15 You Tube reviewers who ordered it must have gotten booted behind the journalists who asked for one. :p;)

Really, I can't imagine the demand for something so many people are publicly deriding as a gimmick could be sold out. They must not have made very many of them.

Reactions: mel823 and Demo Kit

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
That's too bad since I was hoping at $150 no one would buy it so they'll promo bundle it with the phone for free. It's a simple passive device so I can't imagine they can't crank out a ton of them.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
On the brightside I still have my Nexus 6 and Nexus 7 2013 which I just updated to 7.1.2 (unofficially) today. We will see if the Note 8 features can make me forget Bixby.

I have my Nexus 2013 on 7.0. How's the 7.1.2 holding up, is it stable, any issues?

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
shipping fun has started here in The Netherlands! (it's that really small country somewhere in Europe :p)

Delivery by the end of tomorrow (April 19th) :cool::cool:

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Some Galaxy S8 owners are complaining about “reddish” tint on their handset’s display

https://www.sammobile.com/2017/04/1...about-reddish-tint-on-their-handsets-display/

I wonder if they tried calibrating the white balance with the scaler if they are on adaptive display .. or whether it applies even when using modes such as basic which normally have a far warmer white point anyway.

Erika reported the discrepancy in calibrations between the S8+ & S8 preview handsets she has and that she had to use the colour slider in adaptive display mode to make them more balanced.

Though I believe once you go back down to Basic both kept similar calibration / white point regardless as you can't manually adjust white point outside of anything but adaptive mode.

Last edited:

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
I wonder if they tried calibrating the white balance with the scaler if they are on adaptive display .. or whether it applies even when using modes such as basic which normally have a far warmer white point anyway.

Erika reported the discrepancy in calibrations between the S8+ & S8 preview handsets she has and that she had to use the colour slider in adaptive display mode to make them more balanced.

Though I believe once you go back down to Basic both kept similar calibration / white point regardless as you can't manually adjust white point outside of anything but adaptive mode.
Yep, as I wrote in my first post after testing the S8, the red tint was rather striking in basic mode when I switched back and forth between that and the adaptive mode I'd adjusted to a balanced white point.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yep, as I wrote in my first post after testing the S8, the red tint was rather striking in basic mode when I switched back and forth between that and the adaptive mode I'd adjusted to a balanced white point.

That's very disappointing especially for those who prefer Basic modes proper SRGB colour calibration. I just don't understand why those white balance sliders can't be utilised in all off the settings. Doesn't make economical sense especially if a manual slider allowing correction of the tone in all modes, prevents a user having to exchange their device out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oohara
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.