Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
It just might be a PR nightmare for Apple. The iPhone Edition is going to be so different from the other iPhones that will be released, that loyal Apple consumers will raise more hell than ever before if they can't have access to it. I wanted the jet black iP7+ at first, but myself and many others just settled for a iP7+ of any color. And even that was hard to find weeks after. Apple consumers are NOT going to go for that this time around, especially fanboys. The enticement of the iPhone edition compared to the usual iPhone design will be too much.
[doublepost=1492575066][/doublepost]

With the S8 I agree. But with the S8+, I understand some critic's sentiments. But overall, I doubt anyone will be talking about the FP placement a month after release.

Only reason to hold out for the iPhone Edition is iOS tbh. If you're software agnostic or want the more versatile software, you have two good knowns right now: S8/S8+ and the LG G6.

Reactions: 5105973

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
He must get paid a lot to pimp those dbrand skins, I have seen him mention those so many times
D-brand are spending some serious $$ because there are at least a dozen high profile review channels who are all pimping d-brand to the max ....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
maybe it's me but i would more want to use facial scanning to unlock as it looks so smooth..how likely is somebody going to have a photo of you anyway?
[doublepost=1492567916][/doublepost]
not really the case here in UK..I could order the S8 plus now and still get it by thursday
Just remember facial unlock won't work in the dark (laying in bed, checking your phone etc..). You will need to use Iris or FP in dark / dimly lit scenarios.

Haven't seen it in any of the videos, does the S8 support Pattern Unlock ?

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Smart Lock is soooo flakey for me. I have a Pixel XL, it will retain the address for a bit then nope. I use FP scan to unlock just about everywhere.
[doublepost=1492571710][/doublepost]

I hear you, and don't necessarily disagree. However a couple of reviewers have gone so far as to suggest it's placement makes it almost unusable. My expectation is that will probably be hyperbole and I'll make it work.

But: FP scanner is something I use virtually every time I pick up my phone.

Well universally among most reviewers the fp scanner is in a bad location. Doesn't mean people can't make it work but the decision of the location itself is what I'd imagine the reviewers are questioning. Plus with the rumors of the note 8 it'll be "fixed" per se under the screen. It's a mute point typically here because people go through phones and don't necessarily hold them for long periods of time, but for the market it's something to consider, hence the reviewers pointing it out.

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Just remember facial unlock won't work in the dark (laying in bed, checking your phone etc..). You will need to use Iris or FP in dark / dimly lit scenarios.

Funny watching mr mobile review he shows the settings for lock screen. Didn't see pattern unlock

Reactions: MRU

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
Got the same message. :D

I changed it for pick up since I'm close to an official UPS base. Hopefully I can pick it up as soon as they open.

Yeah, I normally change to my work address. For some reason, it won't let me change it. It's okay, the evening is still not too bad. I have my case, too.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Have you got a hands on one yet. I messed around with both today at Best Buy and the figure print scanner is actually in a natural location for me. Have no problem reaching on the s8+ and didn't even have to fully extend my finger for the s8 (my hands are bigger than average).

I haven't ordered yet because I was planning on just walking in the store to purchase one Friday. Do you guys think people who purchase the day of at the store will have issues.

Yup, played with one for a while last week and found the FP sensor every bit as annoying as I suspected I would. I never really had any plans to try the S8 but won't ever rule out a device based on some preconceived notion. The hands on time just confirmed my suspicions.

Reactions: MRU

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

I could swear that I saw a guy use it, it was in one of those early crap reviews but I forget which.

Edit: yep it was Xeetechcare,
at 30 seconds

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Yup, played with one for a while last week and found the FP sensor every bit as annoying as I suspected I would. I never really had any plans to try the S8 but won't ever rule out a device based on some preconceived notion. The hands on time just confirmed my suspicions.

Well the note 8 will supposedly have the fp sensor in the screen so minus well wait

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
ADVERTISING 101:

"D-Brand is to phone reviews what Audible is to podcasting."
Yep ... It's sadly though becoming like that 1 song you liked when it came out, and then you heard it 50 times and the lustre began to wear, and by the time you heard it 500 times on every advert, radio station etc.. you just wanted to rip off your ears and pierce your ear drums with kebab spears.

D-brand are starting to really grate and it's beginning to feel intrusive when every single video has to 'take a minute to give a shout out to d-brand' ...

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Good luck to those who are awaiting delivery today! Pics and thoughts to tease us all having to wait until tomorrow please!

I'm off for a shift at CPW in an hour so the closest I'll get is playing with the demo model hammered to the wall. :p

And we all know how great that store demo mode is! o_O

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Well universally among most reviewers the fp scanner is in a bad location. Doesn't mean people can't make it work but the decision of the location itself is what I'd imagine the reviewers are questioning. Plus with the rumors of the note 8 it'll be "fixed" per se under the screen. It's a mute point typically here because people go through phones and don't necessarily hold them for long periods of time, but for the market it's something to consider, hence the reviewers pointing it out.

The more reviews I read, it's starting to sound like placement of the FP scanner isn't its only issue. Sounds like the scanner itself is janky. Android Police ripped it to shreds.

If the scanner is unusable, that's gonna be a pretty quick and easy decision for me.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I've never been a big fan of the fingerprint scanner on Galaxy phones, at least compared to iOS. That Iris Scanner looks like the real deal. Even the Goo Goo Dolls wrote a song about it.

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
D-brand are spending some serious $$ because there are at least a dozen high profile review channels who are all pimping d-brand to the max ....
I noticed the same thing....lots of influencing going on.....
[doublepost=1492604743][/doublepost]Well mine is going to be delivered today! I am in meetings most of the day so having it held at the local UPS hub....

Capture.JPG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.