Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I'll be interested to see images taken in medium to low light. Although on paper the S7 Edge has vastly superior camera hardware to the iPhone 7 Plus when comparing optics/sensor size but the 7 Plus actually seemed to do a better job.

It's one thing I've noticed with practically every smartphone camera is that the image processing either makes or breaks your camera set up. Sony has had great camera hardware in the Xperia lineup but struggled with image processing.

When I compared the images taken indoors in fairly low light, the iPhone did a much better job in evenly exposing the scene and keeping noise down. The S7 on the other hand opted for a faster shutter speed with a higher ISO and also boosted exposure. The end result was an artificially bright image filled with tons of noise reduction.

Of course that is purely a comparison using the default Auto & JPEG engine in the phone. When you take the RAW image from the S7E and process it in Lightroom, the results become absolutely killer especially for a smartphone.

I'll be interested to see if Samsung improved this with the S8 and also if they have improved the auto white balance. Also if possible, could you upload a couple of raw files from the S8? I'm interested to see the latitude of the files.

S8 + RAW photo
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zipegxodol4577t/20170420_113811.dng?dl=0

S8+ Auto Shot .....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dt2jk3j3lt1bc33/20170420_113811.jpg?dl=0

iPhone 7 Plus auto shot ....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/08kgeumz19gzj6d/IMG_0656.jpg?dl=0

The S8+ RAW is closet to the actual color, but slight duller. And even closer to the actual lighting. The auto shots on both phones make the lighting seem brighter.

These quick photos might not be the best example, but it seems the S8/S8+ tends to put more focus on an object if you're obviously pointing at an object rather than just focusing on the whole picture. The iPhone 7+ tends to always focus on the whole picture. I speaking on auto mode of course.

It's extremely close, but I think the S8+ has a tad bit more saturation. But I'm no photo expert, I'm just matching the pics with what I see with my eyes.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Here is a great shot where I changed the focus.....
923f29af2d98a902a32ab32cc4d72990.jpg

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
S8 + RAW photo
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zipegxodol4577t/20170420_113811.dng?dl=0

S8+ Auto Shot .....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/dt2jk3j3lt1bc33/20170420_113811.jpg?dl=0

iPhone 7 Plus auto shot ....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/08kgeumz19gzj6d/IMG_0656.jpg?dl=0

The S8+ RAW is closet to the actual color, but slight duller. And even closer to the actual lighting. The auto shots on both phones make the lighting seem brighter.

These quick photos might not be the best example, but it seems the S8/S8+ tends to put more focus on an object if you're obviously pointing at an object rather than just focusing on the whole picture. The iPhone 7+ tends to always focus on the whole picture. I speaking on auto mode of course.

It's extremely close, but I think the S8+ has a tad bit more saturation. But I'm no photo expert, I'm just matching the pics with what I see with my eyes.

I think the difference people are seeing is because of the larger aperture with the S8. It may result in the background being slightly out of focus. It's called bokeh.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
....Because I'm interested in seeing the best competition out there right now, and the S8 is clearly the best Android smartphone out there right now. Am I not allowed to know what's going on in the windows world because I own a mac?

How asinine an assertion.

It's not asinine to tell someone not to be that concerned about a product they would never buy. You already feel the iPhone 7 is a superior device compared to the S8 so no matter what we show you as far as tests or comparisons go you will always feel the iPhone is the winner. You already have argued that the iPhone has a much better camera than the S8 even if tests have proven otherwise.

It's fine to read about other products if you wish, but it's pointless if you don't care about them. I own an iPad and an Android phone and I also use a Windows 10 PC at work and an iMac at home. Since I am not biased to one thing it makes more sense for me to keep up on everything.

Reactions: Demo Kit and jamezr

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
It's not asinine to tell someone not to be that concerned about a product they would never buy. You already feel the iPhone 7 is a superior device compared to the S8 so no matter what we show you as far as tests or comparisons go you will always feel the iPhone is the winner. You already have argued that the iPhone has a much better camera than the S8 even if tests have proven otherwise.

It's fine to read about other products if you wish, but it's pointless if you don't care about them. I own an iPad and an Android phone and I also use a Windows 10 PC at work and an iMac at home. Since I am not biased to one thing it makes more sense for me to keep up on everything.
....Point to one post, any of them, where I claimed the iPhone 7 is a superior device (I don't even own one). There are aspects of the S8 I like better than the 7 ("wireless" charging is nice), and vice versa.

If you're going to put words in my mouth through your (wrong) interpretation of my posts just be honest that you're doing it. Go ahead and point out where I stated the iPhone has a MUCH better camera.

In short, cite your sources on my alleged claims, or retract them and admit your projecting.

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
I think the difference people are seeing is because of the larger aperture with the S8. It may result in the background being slightly out of focus. It's called bokeh.

F1.7 vs. F1.8 on a relatively short focal length is not going to make this much of a difference though. Plus the subject seemed far enough away that you wouldn't expect that much background blur especially given the tiny sensor.

Although bokeh is important to a lot of photographers, there are also a lot of places where you don't want subject separation and would prefer an even focus throughout the frame. On a DSLR with a variable aperture lens, this isn't much of an issue as you simply adjust the aperture as needed until you have an even focus plane throughout the image.

On a smartphone which the average consumer will be using, this becomes a much bigger issue as you now introduce a new issue to users. It reminds of a story I once heard about a guy who bought his elderly mom a DSLR, fast forward a week later, she came back and said the camera he bought her was broken as the background was always blurry.

A smartphone is typically used for relatively close up shots, now if the lens in the S8 is causing this much subject separation at distances of roughly a metre. This is going to impede the usability for a lot of people especially since you can't manually change the aperture of the lens. I can just imagine the anger some people will experience if some of their travel photos with scenic backgrounds end up having blurred backgrounds as a result of this.

Reactions: Khalanad75

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Answered it ... Just quit the app and re-opened and images now load

@jamezr what plant / tree is that ?
I am not sure what it is to be honest. Those pods are seeds. It is outside of my son's school. They look like giant pea pods lol :)

Reactions: MRU

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Is anyone have trouble activating? My S8 was delivered about an hour ago, and I've been trying repeatedly to activate, but it keeps giving me the error, "Sorry, we are having trouble activating your phone."

I haven't called Verizon support yet. I assume it's because the activation servers are overwhelmed with people activating, but it is frustrating.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
....Point to one post, any of them, where I claimed the iPhone 7 is a superior device (I don't even own one). There are aspects of the S8 I like better than the 7 ("wireless" charging is nice), and vice versa.

If you're going to put words in my mouth through your (wrong) interpretation of my posts just be honest that you're doing it. Go ahead and point out where I stated the iPhone has a MUCH better camera.

In short, cite your sources on my alleged claims, or retract them and admit your projecting.

Ok so I shouldn't have said MUCH better, but I have read through enough of them to know you have a general bias and that's fine. Most people are biased one way or another. I have a Windows PC at work and although I find Windows 10 to be really good I still prefer the Mac OS. Same with iOS. Even though I really like my iPad I find iOS lacking in features and too locked down compared to Android. I'm tired of seeing nothing but rows and rows of icons and as someone who likes big screen phones I find the iPhone 7 Plus to be one of the least efficient phablet designs ever made.

I just found it a bit funny that you seem so interested in something that you said you would never buy. That's all and I don't think that's being assinine to say that at all.

Reactions: Demo Kit and jamezr

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Ok so I shouldn't have said MUCH better, but I have read through enough of them to know you have a general bias and that's fine. Most people are biased one way or another. I have a Windows PC at work and although I find Windows 10 to be really good I still prefer the Mac OS. Same with iOS. Even though I really like my iPad I find iOS lacking in features and too locked down compared to Android. I'm tired of seeing nothing but rows and rows of icons and as someone who likes big screen phones I find the iPhone 7 Plus to be one of the least efficient phablet designs ever made.

I just found it a bit funny that you seem so interested in something that you said you would never buy. That's all and I don't think that's being assinine to say that at all.

Both of you...JUST. STOP. Your little pissing contest is emblematic of what ultimately happens to so many of these threads and adds absolutely NOTHING to this discussion. Please take your argument into personal messages if you must continue and get back on topic.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Does the S8 have something similar to the 7 Plus's depth effect? Its probably my favorite feature, some people think I took photos with a DSLR.

EDIT: DSLR is a bit of an exaggeration actually, they are just surprised at how professional it looks.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
What charging pad did you get?

I just picked up the older Samsung Wireless Fast Charging Stand EP-NG930TBUGUS on eBay for $10.99. It seems like there are quite a few places on there selling them open or generic box for cheap. The new Samsung wireless pad looks really nice, but I'm not spending that much.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I just picked up the older Samsung Wireless Fast Charging Stand EP-NG930TBUGUS on eBay for $10.99. It seems like there are quite a few places on there selling them open or generic box for cheap. The new Samsung wireless pad looks really nice, but I'm not spending that much.
I have one of those too. I like the way it stands devices up so you can see the display. I agree with you on the new one....not going to spend $89 on it.....

NT1440

macrumors Pentium
May 18, 2008
Both of you...JUST. STOP. Your little pissing contest is emblematic of what ultimately happens to so many of these threads and adds absolutely NOTHING to this discussion. Please take your argument into personal messages if you must continue and get back on topic.
Yea...no. We're discussing the S8, which is on topic. Go become a mod if you'd like to tell others here what to do.

Anyway, does anyone know the part number of the screen Samsung is using (haven't checked iFixit's teardown yet). I'd be interested in figuring out if they have a single plant/fab line dedicated to this or if they've ramped up production at more than one facility.

msavic

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Does the S8 have something similar to the 7 Plus's depth effect? Its probably my favorite feature, some people think I took photos with a DSLR.

EDIT: DSLR is a bit of an exaggeration actually, they are just surprised at how professional it looks.

Typically "professional" looking images are associated with bokeh, as soon as the genera consumer seems subject separation, they assume the image was taken by a professional.

The S8 does have a background blur effect but it won't work as well as Portrait Mode on the 7 Plus just due to the nature of the implementation.

The 7 Plus uses both cameras and creates a depth map to determine what the subject is and what the background should be. Having the secondary camera helps a lot with determining what exactly to blur out. The S8 is only able to make a rough judgement using the single camera it has thus at times it may produce a worse result and blur unnecessary aspects of the frame. The 7 Plus is not perfect either though, bokeh is fairly hard to replicate accurately but it does add a pop to images for social media and both the S8/7Plus bokeh effects will serve well for these purposes.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Just tested Samsung Pay. Major fail. FP scanner was the culprit. Not gonna use iris scanner with payment situations as holding a phone to my face to then place it near the register defeats the purpose of a "painless transaction"

Sigh...yeah I think the FP scanner is gonna be a deal breaker.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Just tested Samsung Pay. Major fail. FP scanner was the culprit. Not gonna use iris scanner with payment situations as holding a phone to my face to then place it near the register defeats the purpose of a "painless transaction"

I just went to the store and tried both because I'm now leaning towards the S8 and not the S8+ and I noticed that the FP is sooo much easier to use on the S8 than the +.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Is anyone have trouble activating? My S8 was delivered about an hour ago, and I've been trying repeatedly to activate, but it keeps giving me the error, "Sorry, we are having trouble activating your phone."

I haven't called Verizon support yet. I assume it's because the activation servers are overwhelmed with people activating, but it is frustrating.
Having same issues on Vodafone with my dads
[doublepost=1492709743][/doublepost]

Using my 7 plus to picking up the S8 plus feels weird due to this reason.

Only real negative about the S8 plus for me

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA

If there are problems with how sensitive or well the scanner reads your fingerprint there is a chance it might get fixed right away with an update. It seems every Samsung or LG phone I ever bought got an update soon after release to fix a few nagging issues if some appear at launch.

Reactions: widgeteer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.