Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Boom! Picked up my S8 about an hour ago. Still getting used to everything. I'm thinking I must have done the iris scanner wrong because I'm having a lot of problems with it, but since everyone's is working real well, I just have to spend some time with it after work.

Otherwise, holy cow is this device amazing! The screen is gorgeous. Really happy that I went with the regular size and not the plus. It's already big enough for me. Definitely didn't need more.

Reactions: AppleRobert

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
Reviews seem to be great but man Samsung and their stupid "take back customization" option policy is getting out of hand. If you put an extra button on the phone allow users to remap it however they want it. If Samsung is that concerned about bixby maybe don't release an unfinished product or even better use the far better one, google assitant.

Display of course looks awesome but man not having a physical home button is a bummer, hopefully they'll fix the shortcoming with the Note 8.

Somesone should tell Samsung that Android is about customization and the freedom of choice if you want to lock things down do it with Tizen.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I'm using adaptive display because I prefer it to the other settings, but the screen still feels warm to me. I messed with the RGB sliders and brought down the Reds and greens all the way. It's better, but still a little too warm for me; especially compared to my iPhone which has a cool display.

The display calibration is probably what has me on the fence. Everything else is nice.

I have noticed apps refreshing on me which I thought was something fixed with the new OS. Anyone else experiencing this?

Last edited:

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Received the phone this morning, immediately installed a screen protector and case on mine. I so want to go without both on the phone. It feels much better without them.
20170421_151147.jpg
20170421_151243.jpg

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I looked at it but decided not to mess with it because my codes are coming to my iPhone. I'm getting the codes I need to get into my Google account. I probably will get an authenticator app if I decide I'm not going to have both phones with me very often.

My problem right now isn't with Google, at least I don't think so. There's a failure somewhere in there in getting Apple/ICloud to accept my log-in from my S8+. I'm not sure what the failure is caused by, but I suspect it's the fact the interface has me logging into iCloud with only my standard password, with no means to also enter an authentication code.

My mail is still coming in fine on my two older Samsungs.
If you have 2 step or 2 factor turned on you'll need to generate an app specific password and use that rather than your normal password. See here for more info: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204397

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I'm using adaptive display because I prefer it to the other settings, but the screen still feels warm to me. I messed with the RGB sliders and brought down the Reds and greens all the way. It's better, but still a little too warm for me; especially compared to my iPhone which has a cool display.

The display calibration is probably what has me on the fence. Everything else is nice.

I have noticed apps refreshing on me which I thought was something fixed with the new OS. Anyone else experiencing this?

I brought down the reds and greens all the way too. I much prefer this, thanks for posting.

Reactions: HiDEF

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
If you have 2 step or 2 factor turned on you'll need to generate an app specific password and use that rather than your normal password. See here for more info: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204397
Yayyyyyyyy! That's IT! Got it working now. Thank you.
[doublepost=1492806700][/doublepost]
Boom! Picked up my S8 about an hour ago. Still getting used to everything. I'm thinking I must have done the iris scanner wrong because I'm having a lot of problems with it, but since everyone's is working real well, I just have to spend some time with it after work.

Otherwise, holy cow is this device amazing! The screen is gorgeous. Really happy that I went with the regular size and not the plus. It's already big enough for me. Definitely didn't need more.
If you're in a very bright environment it may not work well. I had a lot of trouble in rooms with big windows or outdoors. Samsung mentions somewhere in their documentation that a very bright environment can make the iris scanner pretty much useless.

Iris scanner works fine for me in my house lighting, but my eyes were feeling a bit weird so I decided to give facial recognition a go and I guess it's my face...but I keep getting rejected! I keep getting told to clean my camera, which is clean. :( Jeez, I know I'm no supermodel, but next thing you know I'll be instructed to put a bag over my head to unlock. :rolleyes:

I think it's because I have my glasses off. I can't remember if I had them off or on when I registered my face last night. With middle aged eyes it's not a sure thing I'm always going to have my glasses on when I use my phones. Iris scanner works well with or without my glasses because I have anti-reflective lens coatings.

But for now, I get in using my passcode because I'm so used to using it. The fingerprint scanner doesn't seem to work for me, same as the one on my S7.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
What are you all using for messenger app? Stock or
Received the phone this morning, immediately installed a screen protector and case on mine. I so want to go without both on the phone. It feels much better without them.

View attachment 697039
Oh, I have that same case! But I also have one I got off of Slickdeals that has a plastic Orchid gray bumper.

It's this one: https://www.amazon.com/Galaxy-Plus-...2806913&sr=8-4&keywords=Galaxy+S8+Plus+lumion

This is the Slickdeals link for the promo code to the deals on S8 and S8+ cases. I never heard of Lumion before but the case is nice and clear and shows the colors of the phone well. It's decently protective though nobody will mistake it for an Otterbox. For $3.99 I thought I'd give it a try until my Samsung cases get here...whenever that will be. The $19 Samsung clear case is on backorder with no release date given. The LED wallet case should be here Monday.

I generally only use the TPU cases during the "honeymoon" period so I can admire the phone. Then I stick it in a folio or wallet case to protect the display as much as is possible without a screen protector.

I have an Armor Suit wet application screen protector. Actually Armor suit sent me two because the first one got a nasty dent in it when I was trying to free it from the package. So they sent me another one that also supposedly will fit better. But I'm too chicken to apply it. I have to use a hairdryer to set it properly and I'm afraid it won't come off easily if I decide I don't like it. The iris scanner instructions also pretty firmly warn against using a non authorized screen protector. So I'll just wait and see how things go and meanwhile transport my phone in a phone mitten or sleeve or whatever those things are called. I don't like them, but it's necessary to survive my purse without a folio cover.
[doublepost=1492808008][/doublepost]
WhatsApp for now. And the stock Messages app.

We are going to test Wire at some point.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

I had the same thing with my phone in adaptive display mode. I had to turn my red slider down about half way. I ended up switching to basic mode which I prefer but I do see a slight pink hue on the edges. But I do also have glasses lenses that block some blue light out already, so I wonder if those are playing with my eyes? Either way, I'll wait a few days for my first software update to see if that helps and if not, I may contact Samsung.

otherwise, this phone is incredible! very fast, fluid and great to use. I have the S8 and the FP position is not a problem for me, regardless of the hand I'm using. However, it sometimes does take a few tries to get it to unlock. Definitely not as quick to recognize/unlock as my iPhone. BUT, the iris scanner is amazingly fast and works even though I wear glasses.

still trying to get everything up how I like it... takes a bit of time ;)
[doublepost=1492808321][/doublepost]

Textra for SMS/MMS. I'm going to try to get my family who are all on iMessage to get over to Whatsapp to communicate with me, at least for big family text chains where lots of videos and photos are swapped.. we'll see how that goes ;)

Reactions: AppleRobert

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Yayyyyyyyy! That's IT! Got it working now. Thank you.
[doublepost=1492806700][/doublepost]
If you're in a very bright environment it may not work well. I had a lot of trouble in rooms with big windows or outdoors. Samsung mentions somewhere in their documentation that a very bright environment can make the iris scanner pretty much useless.

Makes sense when you think about it. With bright light the iris constricts hiding the identifying features used for unlocking. Perhaps try masking the light with hand or with visor.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Well there are some cases that have a specific cutout for the fps, I would think that would help for location. Better than the one long cutout, I would still have to fish for the fps.

I'll see which one with a specific cutout I like best. I have not tried face recognition yet, I will get to it.

Love, love, love so far. It will be going to bed with me tonight to listen to tunes. :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Makes sense when you think about it. With bright light the iris constricts hiding the identifying features used for unlocking. Perhaps try masking the light with hand or with visor.
Actually it's the pupil (black part) that constricts. The iris is the colored part, sclera is the white part--my father-in-law has been undergoing a new treatment for macular degeneration so our family got a crash course in the structure of the eye. I think the bright ambient light is a problem because it washes out the led used to illuminate the iris, but I don't know for sure.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I've been a bit of a switcher between Android and iOS (had every iPhone up to the 4S, then used android for a few years before moving back to the 6 and 6S Plus and finally onto the SE as I wanted a smaller phone).

I decided to jump back into Android with the S8 (keeping my SE for those times when I want a small, discreet phone) and I'm blown away by how good it is!

Even though I'm fully invested in the Apple ecosystem on the hardware side (all my computers are macs and I've to an iPad Pro 12 and iPad Mini), I don't use many of Apples services (Office 365 for mail and calendars using the Outlook App, Lightroom and Google Photos for photos).

I do use Apple music but that's available on Android (and works pretty well) and music round the house is via Sonos.

Because of this, moving between Android and iOS isn't particularly hard for me to do as all the stuff I use regularly is available on both platforms

Even my AirPods work really well with my S8 (once paired, I can connect to them from the Bluetooth menu and they disconnect from my iPad, Mac or whatever I was using them on and I can switch back to the iOS device from the audio output selector in iOS)

My Garmin watch works better on Android than iOS (you can select what notifications you want to see and if you dismiss them on the watch it dismisses them on the phone, which is something that it didn't do on iOS and used to frustrate me no end)

Wireless charging is brilliant too (I got a couple of wireless stands from Amazon for £12 each - one on my desk and one on my bedstand) - when I'm not using the phone, I just put it on the stand and it keeps it nicely charged

I'm sure that, given my history, I'll be back using iOS as my daily driver in a couple of years, but for now I'm thoroughly enjoying Android and my S8 :)

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

My dad couldn't get the iris scanner to work with his glasses on so he uses the facial recognition instead

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I think I actually prefer face unlock over everything. Seems to be the easiest.

Actually I have made the fps easier for me in so far as I do not have to poke around for it as much. I am right handed so I come in from the far left side of the s8. I find the indentation that much easier than poking around coming in from the right side or middle of the s8. Not sure why I did not think of doing this sooner.

Still have to set up the face recognition, probably that is what most will go with to tell the truth.

Edit: Duh, just turn the s8 with the back facing me and touch the fps with my finger and then turn the s8 over. Lol!

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJUAE
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.