Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
They as @Klyster said usually only have a sticky area around the edge leaving small gap between the screen and the glass and this can cause false touches or unresponsiveness itself. They also tend to have a poker dot matrix pattern to help the capacitive touch but this dot pattern is very noticeable in direct sunlight (outdoors) and just looks f'ugly.

If you do find a good one then post it as they are all pretty meh in my experience and I just don't have the nerve to run without a protector here.

Well it is on and you are very much correct. I now have one very unesponsive screen.

Reactions: MRU

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Well it is on and you are very much correct. I now have one very unesponsive screen.
Damn.

Honestly protecting the screen is going to be the deciding factor for me. I don't mind some compromise but the current glass or invisible tpu protectors are too much of a compromise (feel and quality). I just don't have the nerve to go naked when my pockets consistently have traces of sand in them.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have AT&T and I'm getting the error message.
[doublepost=1492850751][/doublepost]

It's an error message that keeps popping up after the update that was pushed out. It seems like it's an ongoing issue and happens when you are connected to WiFi it seems like. It's super annoying.
Frig. :(

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
I have AT&T and I'm getting the error message.
[doublepost=1492850751][/doublepost]

It's an error message that keeps popping up after the update that was pushed out. It seems like it's an ongoing issue and happens when you are connected to WiFi it seems like. It's super annoying.

Sorry to hear that. Btw I enjoy your vids man keep up the good work.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Damn.

Honestly protecting the screen is going to be the deciding factor for me. I don't mind some compromise but the current glass or invisible tpu protectors are too much of a compromise (feel and quality). I just don't have the nerve to go naked when my pockets consistently have traces of sand in them.

Yup. I mean the protector looks good don't get me wrong. Quite impressed with how it covers the whole curve etc. But even tapping on the screen i can hear the protector hitting the screen. Unsettling.

I've just took it off and you are completely right. Ahesive is only on the top bottom and round the edges so no wonder the bloody thing doesn't register touches. Terrible.

How do they get away with that?!

So yeah not very happy!

And like you, i don't like not having a protector on the screen just because i hate unsightly scratches and marks. And these screens are so prone to it.

Ah well will just have to chance it.

Still, the case i bought to protect the back is good. And a cut out for the fingerprint which always helps.

IMG-20170422-WA0004_zps73cgquap.jpg

Reactions: Jetcat3 and MRU

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Must admit, I've never been a fan of screen protectors, always liked the feel of the glass, so many times I tried a screen protector only to take it off a month or 2 later, this going back to the S4 days.

As long as you have a protective cover/case with a lip on it, you should be fine, in my experience.

I do however miss the days I could use a naked phone, the S2 days were a good time, happily used it without a single but if protection on it.

ichii

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Just got my S8 yesterday. I got a few case already, but I feel that it doesn't protect the front enough. So I ordered the Spigen Neo Hybrid, anyone here have that case and how friendly is it for screen protectors?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Damn.

Yep like you have tried several screen protectors on my S7E the glass ones with micro dots have a better sensitivity but any liquid or damp gets trapped between the screen and protector. The film ones soon orange peel and look fuzzy and some peel with contact with rear cases etc

Out of desperation I bought the S8 clear view but its quite thick and although it helps to locate the FP easily, a little too much pressure and it forces the case to separate for the stand mode flap. I though the case was faulty at first.

I just got the LED view cover which I did not realise has a built in LED display that has loads of options to change the LED's for notifications/apps/contacts, quite cute really plus you can design your own ones, clearance for sand particles is not improved over S7 cases, but like the S8 clear view locating the FP is simplified

Screenshot_20170422-151921.png Screenshot_20170422-151955.png Screenshot_20170422-152055.png

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
They only other issue I'm having is that this Pop up keeps coming up no matter what app image on. It's come up on both Tapatalk and Reddit. Any clue what this is and how to get rid of it? It comes up every 2 minutes.
7c63a32616c32bccd6978ca5da5ee5d0.jpg

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
They only other issue I'm having is that this Pop up keeps coming up no matter what app image on. It's come up on both Tapatalk and Reddit. Any clue what this is and how to get rid of it? It comes up every 2 minutes.
7c63a32616c32bccd6978ca5da5ee5d0.jpg
That looks like a spam thing, have you installed any apps from outside of the playstore ?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
That looks like a spam thing, have you installed any apps from outside of the playstore ?
Only Pixel live wallpaper. Now that I think about it, it first came on Samsung browser. Is there a way to clear data from the browser?

UKapple

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Just had my 8+ delivered and yes it has a pink screen! It's not as bad as some of the pics on the net but it's definitely around the edges and top edge of the screen. Putting it next to my s7 on the same screen settings and you can see the difference.

Just notified my Carrier who were going to offer to exchange it but little point as the next one that is delivered could be exactly the same and I'll end up just going around in circles! Gonna wait to see if this software update fixes things otherwise it's going straight back for a refund and I'll go back to the iPhone.

After the issue with the note 7 you really thing Samsung would have ensured that nothing like this pops up but this could be another fiasco if the software update doesn't do its job.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Only Pixel live wallpaper. Now that I think about it, it first came on Samsung browser. Is there a way to clear data from the browser?
There should be. Either in the app itself / settings or is there an option in the general settings for Samsung Internet ? Keep us posted.

Reactions: mjschabow

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
There should be. Either in the app itself / settings or is there an option in the general settings for Samsung Internet ? Keep us posted.
Yeah I think I figured out the culprit. It was an ad on devhost but now seems to have taken over my phone. I really hope I don't have to factory reset.

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
I think they are growing on me. I didn't quite like them at first but I'm on board now. Hey, I couldn't stand the S8 when the first accurate leaks came out, either. I much preferred the look of the LG G6. It took awhile for me to warm up to all the curves.
I always liked the look of the actual phone. I just wish Samsung went with the PlayStation buttons or at least something where the shapes aren't split apart in random locations.

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.