Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
True, but zooming in "digital zoom" is a fake zoom anyways. But displaying on large screens isn't that bad.

I still recall recently using the 4s via apple tv to Airplay pics on a 60" TV and it looked fine, some of the pics were quite stunning even with a camera that old.

iPhone 7 Plus' 2X optical zoom at a loss of 1 1/3 stop (more than half the light) and no OIS makes it useless for anything but perfect lighting. That's why the camera software overrides it with the primary camera for most situations. I'd rather have a f/1.7 with faster auto focus, better dynamic range, less noise, better metering, etc. and zoom with my feet like DSLR with bright prime lens. Second choice would be a wide angle lens like LG G6 implementation.

On a 60" 480p projection TV it won't matter what camera you use.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
But that video is not true real life. The IP7+ kills all phones including the s8 plus in battery life.

In real world use, the standby time is a huge factor. Android drains much faster just idling than IOS. I owned both the S7 Edge and IP7+ and the S7 edge can't touch my iPhone in battery life.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-Galaxy-S8-and-S8-battery-life-test-result-is-out_id92744

Who uses their phone straight with the display on the whole time. Not a valid test. Real world usage which includes standby time while it's in your pocket and you aren't using it is a factor.

Yes, you are correct in respect to the iP7+ being the king of stand-by battery life. But nowadays, most flagships come extremely close with stand-by life. To the point I don't even think stand-by is a real factor to compare anymore. At least when it comes to Samsung and LG, in my experience.

You have to consider, often users do keep their displays on for large amount of times. Facetime/video calling, gaming, long texts conversations, maps, and watching videos can take up hours of on screen time easily. And I know from my usage, I had better on screen life on the S7 edge and Note 7 while doing such, compared to the iP7+. Yesterday I played NFS Most Wanted on the S8+ for an hour and was only down to 90%. No way the iP7+ can do that, it would be drained down to the upper 70s.

You also have to factor pixel density on the iP7+ is much lower than the S7 edge, Note 7 and S8/S8+, and yet has less on screen life, which is due to the battery size and IPS display. Cause the S8 has only 100mah more battery and still beats the iP7+ with on screen life when ran straight.

When the iPhone finally uses OLED, then the on screen battery tests will be interesting.

2 1/2 hours on Gear VR leaves me around 70% from a full charge on the S8+
1 hour on Google Cardboard with the iP7+ leaves me at around 70%.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I remember not using my s8 yesterday for an hour or so, it was in my pocket and lost no battery life.

I assume having always on enabled keeping the phone on a desk or something it would at least lose some battery life.
[doublepost=1492885397][/doublepost]You folks I assume have the latest version of the Google Playstore, easiest to notice when updating apps. Most all my smartphones I have used lately have updated.

Reactions: LIVEFRMNYC

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I remember not using my s8 yesterday for an hour or so, it was in my pocket and lost no battery life.

Yea, I noticed the same. And I have color on my AOD.

IMG_0262.JPG

[doublepost=1492886609][/doublepost]It's not exactly as good before the update, but for those that really want to put GA on the Bixby button ....

http://www.androidauthority.com/remap-samsung-galaxy-s8-bixby-button-google-assistant-766441/

Last edited:
Reactions: AppleRobert

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Beauty of amoled, always on screen with almost no battery life hit.

Is burn in still a thing though with these newer screens?

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
In real world use, the standby time is a huge factor. Android drains much faster just idling than IOS.

Screen-on-time trumps idle battery life. No one is going to buy a $900 phone, not use it then highlight idle battery life. Plus, idle battery life is a function of work done in the background and battery size. iOS takes a restrictive approach disallowing background tasks/multitasking where an app put in the background is suspended then killed after 3 minutes so it's more like an iPod while Android uses a hybrid approach that's more like a PC. User has the freedom to selectively disable background tasks on Android and with a larger battery idle battery life is usually better. Most I've gotten is 19 days until shutdown for a WIFI always-on VOIP phone with only 2070 mAh battery. If it had a 3300 mAh battery I'd only need to charge it 12 times a year.

Screenshot_2015-08-02-19-59-14a_zps3fdlg0vi.png

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Beauty of amoled, always on screen with almost no battery life hit.

Is burn in still a thing though with these newer screens?

Not really, useless something is static for a very very long time. Which is why the AOD moves the image every so often.

Reactions: nviz22

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
For those who have the 'red tint' screen', who's confident it will be fixed with the software update next week?

The red tent on mine is hardly noticeable. I have them around the edges which I don't really notice unless I look at it. What I find interesting is when I restart my phone, the white screen with the T-Mobile logo pops up and there is absolutely no red tint at all. I don't know for sure, but it just makes me believe it is software related, so a software fix is hopeful.

I just sold my 7plus and am loving my 8+ right now. Battery life has been awesome so far. Yesterday I've had 20+ hours on battery with only 5 hours 23mins SoT with 49% battery life left.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
No, the app have to be written to include reading from iris scan on top of the FP scan. You can't use any biometrics in place of another.

Thanks... figured as much. And it's why, as great as the display and camera may be, I couldn't switch to it. The FP sensor is a huge portion of my daily usage and it already drove me nuts in the short time I tested it out. :(

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Thanks... figured as much. And it's why, as great as the display and camera may be, I couldn't switch to it. The FP sensor is a huge portion of my daily usage and it already drove me nuts in the short time I tested it out. :(

I pretty much already got used to the placement. My muscle memory kicked in. My only grips is, only half of my apps use the FP sensor compared to iOS. And none that I use, have implemented the iris sensor yet, with the exception of Samsung apps and browser.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
The finger print scanner is so bad I almost wish it wasn't even there.
I understand why people feel that way but it's been fine for me. I am left handed though, I'm also using the standard S8, easier to manage one handed. AND, not using a case lol.

I went out and tried Samsung Pay for the first time and used the fingerprint sensor instead of the Iris scanner because I didn't want to look like a weirdo. Worked just as quick as Apple Pay, very cool technology

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Took some snaps last night and this evening on my dog walk.

Nothing fancy, no edits just point and shoot. What strikes me about this camera is how reliable and consistent it is. I have a dog who doesn't ever really stand still and this camera captures great shots even when he's legging it around. :p

20170421_191409_zpsxd87fucb.jpg

20170422_194031_zps5pwfbckc.jpg

He was trotting along going mad for his ball still after I'd put him on his lead and i just snapped this (his tongue looking like a slice of ham flapping around made me lol) and it came out great.

20170421_193348_zpskdkvalru.jpg

It's a great camera for me so far!

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Which processor does European market have?

Also, I have changed between FHD and WQHD - haven't noticed ANY difference lol, can anyone tell me what it is? I understand higher res but what difference does it make to the phone, apart from potential battery life?

One last thing, having moved from iOS can someone advise if there is a way of turning off the Android version of background app refresh? Basically I don't want Facebook to tell me I have notifications (I have turned notifications off but I still get the 1 or 2 on to icon)

Thanks
The badges are controlled by a samsung App called BadgeProvider and it's very annoying (particularly as it continues to show them even if you disabled notifications for the app). It's also only on certain apps so leads to an inconsistent experience. Unfortunately, you can't disable it from app manager but fortunately you can with third party apps (I use Package Disabled Pro) - just disable BadgeProvider and they disappear :)

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Took some snaps last night and this evening on my dog walk.

Nothing fancy, no edits just point and shoot. What strikes me about this camera is how reliable and consistent it is. I have a dog who doesn't ever really stand still and this camera captures great shots even when he's legging it around. :p

20170421_191409_zpsxd87fucb.jpg

Nice natural bokeh vs the fake floating head Portrait Mode bokeh.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
My Gear VR promo got approved. According to Samsung, it says it was already shipped on 4/20. Didn't get a tracking number of any sorts. I couldn't even get the 200 point promo to work either since it sent a link that didn't even work.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
The red tent on mine is hardly noticeable. I have them around the edges which I don't really notice unless I look at it. What I find interesting is when I restart my phone, the white screen with the T-Mobile logo pops up and there is absolutely no red tint at all. I don't know for sure, but it just makes me believe it is software related, so a software fix is hopeful.

I just sold my 7plus and am loving my 8+ right now. Battery life has been awesome so far. Yesterday I've had 20+ hours on battery with only 5 hours 23mins SoT with 49% battery life left.

I don't notice a red tint to my display. However, whites seem warm/yellow when compared to my TV or monitor. (I'm not sure if this tint is what people are calling red tint.) My iPhone 7 always seemed too blue, so perhaps this is closer to accurate for sRGB. I'm using Basic screen mode.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Yes, you are correct in respect to the iP7+ being the king of stand-by battery life. But nowadays, most flagships come extremely close with stand-by life. To the point I don't even think stand-by is a real factor to compare anymore. At least when it comes to Samsung and LG, in my experience.

You have to consider, often users do keep their displays on for large amount of times. Facetime/video calling, gaming, long texts conversations, maps, and watching videos can take up hours of on screen time easily. And I know from my usage, I had better on screen life on the S7 edge and Note 7 while doing such, compared to the iP7+. Yesterday I played NFS Most Wanted on the S8+ for an hour and was only down to 90%. No way the iP7+ can do that, it would be drained down to the upper 70s.

You also have to factor pixel density on the iP7+ is much lower than the S7 edge, Note 7 and S8/S8+, and yet has less on screen life, which is due to the battery size and IPS display. Cause the S8 has only 100mah more battery and still beats the iP7+ with on screen life when ran straight.

When the iPhone finally uses OLED, then the on screen battery tests will be interesting.

2 1/2 hours on Gear VR leaves me around 70% from a full charge on the S8+
1 hour on Google Cardboard with the iP7+ leaves me at around 70%.
It is though. I carry both with my. S7 Edge, and IP7+, and I use my iPhone a ton. My work phone I barely use while at work. It drains down to 50-60% by the evening while I still have 70% on my iPhone which I used at least 80% more than the S7 Edge.

But the video test is flawed, because no one is keeping their screen on all day. In real life, the IP7+ doing everything you say it does better than my S7 Edge by a long shot. All test results prove it does better. So I am not sure how you say yours doesn't. You are the only person I have seen say that.
[doublepost=1492892724][/doublepost]Like I said, I use both side by side, the S7 edge can't touch my ip7+ in daily use.

Screen-on-time trumps idle battery life. No one is going to buy a $900 phone, not use it then highlight idle battery life. Plus, idle battery life is a function of work done in the background and battery size. iOS takes a restrictive approach disallowing background tasks/multitasking where an app put in the background is suspended then killed after 3 minutes so it's more like an iPod while Android uses a hybrid approach that's more like a PC. User has the freedom to selectively disable background tasks on Android and with a larger battery idle battery life is usually better. Most I've gotten is 19 days until shutdown for a WIFI always-on VOIP phone with only 2070 mAh battery. If it had a 3300 mAh battery I'd only need to charge it 12 times a year.

Screenshot_2015-08-02-19-59-14a_zps3fdlg0vi.png

Reactions: Klyster

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
In real life, the IP7+ doing everything you say it does better than my S7 Edge by a long shot. All test results prove it does better. So I am not sure how you say yours doesn't. You are the only person I have seen say that.

That is not my experience at all. I always had less battery on the iPhone 6S+ and 7+ vs the S7 edge, Note 7, and now the S8+, when gaming, watching video, and etc.

And what tests are you speaking of? What is better? If you're speaking about the Youtube vlogs of people opening a mass amount of apps at once, that's 100x worst of a test than the battery test you call unrealistic.
[doublepost=1492893722][/doublepost]
I don't notice a red tint to my display. However, whites seem warm/yellow when compared to my TV or monitor. (I'm not sure if this tint is what people are calling red tint.) My iPhone 7 always seemed too blue, so perhaps this is closer to accurate for sRGB. I'm using Basic screen mode.

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
My device is on the warm side as well. Im currently using it on adaptive display with zero Red and Green values and I still see it a little warm.

The display calibration is what has me doubting the device; colors are too saturated. I know it's the adaptive display profile that's causing it, but it's the only profile you can tweak the RGB values to make the display cool.

I don't care for the edge display either; although I'm used to it already, I prefer a flat screen.

Is there an app out there that will allow me to mess with The RGB values with other profiles?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Getting ready to visit my parents and spend the rest of the day chilling out with my phone while my poor husband tries to salvage stiff off of dad's broke computer.

I already got to sit and read on it a bit and definitely notice the pink "halo around the display now. Samsung will supposedly issue a software fix but I don't know how that's going to fix a halo vs the uniform pink hue I think is more of a problem. I ordered directly from Samsung and am not planning to go through the bother of a return for a flaw I think is oddly pretty. I was more worried about the display skewing murky and aqua like my husband's Note 7's did. That was ghastly. My husband has the halo on his display, too and thinks it is just from the curvature of the glass and not a defect per se. I really would prefer a flat display, but I think for Samsung that ship has sailed.

I followed MRU's suggestion and bumped up the resolution to maximum and print does look nicer. Like ink on paper. But it was good the other way, too. Ok gotta run. Ttyl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.