Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I understand but again, why does iMessage have to be turned on? If it's a publicly used device, just keep it signed off.
That is exactly what we do.....but it shows that it is not what some here have said it is.
I agree with you that Android does not have the equivalent built in offering. But I don't think that is an altogether bad thing. As BGA pointed out there are apps that work very well at some of what imessage does.
My point was if you own all the idevices involved and no one else will ever use them then imessage is great.
If not then most of us just turn it off as it is not very useful.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
its easy if most of your contacts dont have IOS. If not then its a headache imo.

Many of my contacts use iPhones. I have no problem SMS-ing them or using Whatsapp. As for FaceTime, I hardly actually FaceTime anyone anyway, but do use Skype which is universal and pretty popular even among iPhone owners that I know.

Of course, that's just my experience, but I would never let iMessage or FaceTime be the thing that keeps me on iOS if I was interested in Android.

EDIT: That's not to say Google shouldn't get their messaging strategy straightened out!

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Many of my contacts use iPhones. I have no problem SMS-ing them or using Whatsapp. As for FaceTime, I hardly actually FaceTime anyone anyway, but do use Skype which is universal and pretty popular even among iPhone owners that I know.

Of course, that's just my experience, but I would never let iMessage or FaceTime be the thing that keeps me on iOS if I was interested in Android.

EDIT: That's not to say Google shouldn't get their messaging strategy straightened out!
Yup, this is such a subjective thing. For me it would be hard just because my contacts group message a lot so having imessage is nice.

The people around me tend to not be tech savy overall :p.

I tried so many times to get my mom to use skype and it doesnt work. Never had an issue with facetime.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It's not rolled out yet. I'll give it a try when it is, but the problem is my screen is a lovely white in the middle already. Pink frame is pink. ;)

I'm hoping it will really help the other modes though that are more uniformly pink for me and I can switch to one of those for reading and forums.

I really don't want to return the phone at this point and risk getting one that runs hot or has some other problem.

I'm about to call my dad and if the call quality is good I will be so happy because that is a problem on my iPhone a lot of times.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Question for those who have used recent Samsung devices, what's the best way to back up apps, settings, etc. without root? With root, I use titanium backup, but obviously that won't work for the GS8. I've found Google's implementation lacking (hit or miss on if it actually will restore my apps or not) and I don't have access to Samsung Cloud (damn you Verizon!).

the reason I ask, I was on chat with tech support today regarding my pink edges and entire screen pink hue when phone is tilted around 30 degrees, and the last step of his checking my phone, he wanted me to factory reset the phone. I didn't do it on that chat session because I was at work and didn't want to have to setup the device at work. I know Samsung will likely make me factory reset the phone at some point before getting it replaced, so I want to make sure I'm ready to restore my phone like I have it. OR, if I do get a replacement, obviously I'll have to set it up again (maybe can use Smart Sync in that scenario).

I use Nova and backup my homescreen layout and settings, but I think the main daunting task is going through all the settings in Settings app and getting every thing back up and running the way I have it now. This aspect is one BIG reason I miss iOS. But VZW also muddied the waters by disabling Samsung Cloud. This isn't my first Android experience by a long shot, I just usually have phones I can root and do these things a lot easier :)

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
That is exactly what we do.....but it shows that it is not what some here have said it is.
I agree with you that Android does not have the equivalent built in offering. But I don't think that is an altogether bad thing. As BGA pointed out there are apps that work very well at some of what imessage does.
My point was if you own all the idevices involved and no one else will ever use them then imessage is great.

OK but this would apply to any messaging solution across any hardware...Not unique to iMessages.

Again, the mantra quoted across this subforum is 'wouldn't you prefer to have the choice?', especially often when discussing Samsung hardware since they tend to include tons of features on top of Android? You don't have to use iMessages on every Apple device but at least you can. With Allo and Duo, you don't even have that option and if you're on a device without a cellular number, you have zero options.

Regardless, I don't want to side track the S8 discussion any further so I'll leave this post as my last on this particular topic.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming. Sounds like the overwhelming majority of new S8 owners couldn't be happier with their new phones. I'm genuinely jealous of having a new toy to play with.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
It's not rolled out yet. I'll give it a try when it is, but the problem is my screen is a lovely white in the middle already. Pink frame is pink. ;)

I'm hoping it will really help the other modes though that are more uniformly pink for me and I can switch to one of those for reading and forums.

I really don't want to return the phone at this point and risk getting one that runs hot or has some other problem.

I'm about to call my dad and if the call quality is good I will be so happy because that is a problem on my iPhone a lot of times.
For what it's worth, the S8+ I have is the same way. It's pink right near the edges, most noticeable on the right and left. The screen also gets very pink off-axis, not that I look at it this way normally.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
OK but this would apply to any messaging solution across any hardware...Not unique to iMessages.

Again, the mantra quoted across this subforum is 'wouldn't you prefer to have the choice?', especially often when discussing Samsung hardware since they tend to include tons of features on top of Android? You don't have to use iMessages on every Apple device but at least you can. With Allo and Duo, you don't even have that option and if you're on a device without a cellular number, you have zero options.

Regardless, I don't want to side track the S8 discussion any further so I'll leave this post as my last on this particular topic.

Back to the regularly scheduled programming. Sounds like the overwhelming majority of new S8 owners couldn't be happier with their new phones. I'm genuinely jealous of having a new toy to play with.
I think you missed the point Epic and BGA and myself were trying to illustrate.
We have heard so many say they would get an Android phone except they would miss imessage so much. For us and others it is not very useful in our use cases....we just turn it off.

sorry for the off topic.....

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2013
After spending 3 days with the s8 I've decided to return it. The rear fingerprint sensor is awful and the Bixby button sucks. Sorry Sammy, I'm going back to my iPhone (again). This phone to me feels like they rushed to get it out instead of refining it and selling a complete, well thought out package.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I think you missed the point Epic and BGA and myself were trying to illustrate.
We have heard so many say they would get an Android phone except they would miss imessage so much. For us and others it is not very useful in our use cases....we just turn it off.

sorry for the off topic.....

I gotcha and completely understand. I just think too often those users on these threads who do find tremendous value in those apps and functionality on iOS are dismissed. As much as you and others whom aren't so immersed in or reliant upon their use, many (myself included) feel exactly the opposite and can't step away so easily. That's all. :D

Fernandez21

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2010

You should give family sharing a try, I have my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook under my account, my wife's iPhone, iPad, and MBA under her account, my father's iPhone and iMac under his account, my son's iPhone and iPad in his account and even my 2 year olds iPad mini under her own account.

We can all share our iOS and mac apps and iTunes purchases and keep our own devices in sync with each other and not have to worry about getting each others messages.

What's even cool is that my on my fathers iMac we have our accounts as espérate users, so if I forget my MacBook I can log in under my account and all my files are there or when my son spends the night he can log into his account and all his games are there.

The only major flaw is that it's tricky knowing if an app, movie, or song has already been purchased by some one else or not and other things (such as iCloud storage or music match) aren't shared. I have 300gb free on my iCloud account but can't share it with my family so I have to pay extra to have them on the 50gb plan.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
For what it's worth, the S8+ I have is the same way. It's pink right near the edges, most noticeable on the right and left. The screen also gets very pink off-axis, not that I look at it this way normally.
Thanks. Your input is worth a lot actually. It seems this is just a "thing" and a software update might fix it, might not, but I think I'm probably best served just learning to get along with it.

I was worried it would trigger my migraines as other gradient tints on other devices have done in the past, but I've been making myself use this phone over the iPad I usually use and it's not triggered them. I can't say it's not somewhat annoying, but then again so are some of my relatives and I get on fine with them after some time together, too. :p

I don't think this will be my iPhone killer but I think my iPad mini is in danger of being out of a job. For things like You Tube and games the pink halo isn't intrusive or even all that noticeable and of course videos look better. And this beats the iPad mini 4 into the ground when it comes to loading web pages.

The display is certainly large enough now to displace my iPad mini 4. If Note 8 is even close to as good as the nicer leaks and rumors make it out to be, poor Mini 4 will be stuck on kitchen recipe book duty for sure.

Reactions: MRU

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Thanks. Your input is worth a lot actually. It seems this is just a "thing" and a software update might fix it, might not, but I think I'm probably best served just learning to get along with it.

I was worried it would trigger my migraines as other gradient tints on other devices have done in the past, but I've been making myself use this phone over the iPad I usually use and it's not triggered them. I can't say it's not somewhat annoying, but then again so are some of my relatives and I get on fine with them after some time together, too. :p

I don't think this will be my iPhone killer but I think my iPad mini is in danger of being out of a job. For things like You Tube and games the pink halo isn't intrusive or even all that noticeable and of course videos look better. And this beats the iPad mini 4 into the ground when it comes to loading web pages.

The display is certainly large enough now to displace my iPad mini 4. If Note 8 is even close to as good as the nicer leaks and rumors make it out to be, poor Mini 4 will be stuck on kitchen recipe book duty for sure.

I think the one thing I'll worry about if the software doesn't fix my pink edges is for device resale. I'll likely sell it on Swappa when the Note 8 or something else comes along and I have a feeling the question will be asked "does this have the pink/red tint issue?" and if I say yes (I won't lie about it), it'll turn off potential buyers of my phone. BUT, pink edges maybe normal on this phone but IMO, it should be the norm unless it is just how light is refracting in that edge.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
You should give family sharing a try, I have my iPhone, iPad, and MacBook under my account, my wife's iPhone, iPad, and MBA under her account, my father's iPhone and iMac under his account, my son's iPhone and iPad in his account and even my 2 year olds iPad mini under her own account.

We can all share our iOS and mac apps and iTunes purchases and keep our own devices in sync with each other and not have to worry about getting each others messages.

What's even cool is that my on my fathers iMac we have our accounts as espérate users, so if I forget my MacBook I can log in under my account and all my files are there or when my son spends the night he can log into his account and all his games are there.

The only major flaw is that it's tricky knowing if an app, movie, or song has already been purchased by some one else or not and other things (such as iCloud storage or music match) aren't shared. I have 300gb free on my iCloud account but can't share it with my family so I have to pay extra to have them on the 50gb plan.

This exactly. Family sharing made life so much easier for me and my family...and it was the only way to get legitimate email accounts for my kids without lying about their ages. As was discussed earlier and you mentioned, Apple makes identifying already purchased apps and content a P.I.T.A. but otherwise it's great.

I was so happy to see Google roll out their own version recently as it was a definite barrier to ever having my family move out of Apple's ecosystem. My kids love having their own Google Play Music accounts and I'm a hero thanks to shared YouTube Red. ;)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think the one thing I'll worry about if the software doesn't fix my pink edges is for device resale. I'll likely sell it on Swappa when the Note 8 or something else comes along and I have a feeling the question will be ask "does this have the pink/red tint issue?" and if I say yes (I won't lie about it) it'll turn off potential buyers of my phone. BUT, pink edges maybe normal on this phone but IMO, it should be the norm unless it is just how light is refracting in that edge.
I like VR so I'm keeping all my Samsung's for that purpose and because VR headset heat the phones up so bad, VR will be the likely cause of their eventual demise. If I get a Note 8 I'm not sure I could bear to consign it to such a fate until it's ready to be replaced anyway.

If I had gotten this phone from AT&T Store and not directly from Samsung I might be more inclined to play the display lottery but as it is, it looks like a big pain in the tail. When I go for the Note 8, I probably won't be looking for freebie or discount bundles and will buy through AT&T after the phone has been a out a few weeks and for problems like this to be worked out first.

I haven't used this phone in the VR headset yet. I might not. If my old phones fit in it I would prefer to keep using them. I do suspect my S7's battery life has taken a small hit from the heat of VR use.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Of course you have control...just sign out of iMessage on any device that you don't want to receive your messages. :confused: And you only have to sign out once and uncheck your email's once. There's more work involved in signing up for a third party messaging solution.

Well, that problem is solely on your use case, not on Apple's implementation. Use the family library as it's intended and this isn't an issue. You choose to loan our your Apple ID, then yes, you have to deal with this. It would be no different if you let your father sign into his Android device with your Google ID.

Won't disagree with your here. I don't understand why Apple doesn't add the same notation as Google does. To clarify though, you don't have to 'scroll' through all the apps...there's a search bar at the top. ;) But yes, does make it far less user friendly.

Sorry, I'll disagree here. How does a user without a phone number use Allo? And what if you'd like to receive those messages on multiple devices? Regarding Duo---it's not that simple as you have to then have your contact install the app, same as any other third party video calling solution, save for needing to set up a user ID. And again, what if you'd like to be able to make/take those calls on more than one device?

Agree, they work and neither platform is perfect. But Google's solutions are far from simple, seamless or ubiquitous. There's a reason why Google has had so many different solutions for these functionalities and none have taken root. And it's a huge lost opportunity, IMO.
[doublepost=1493053982][/doublepost]

Seems like a Gear S2 or S3 would be your best option.

-Si
Of course you have control...just sign out of iMessage on any device that you don't want to receive your messages. :confused: And you only have to sign out once and uncheck your email's once. There's more work involved in signing up for a third party messaging solution.

Well, that problem is solely on your use case, not on Apple's implementation. Use the family library as it's intended and this isn't an issue. You choose to loan our your Apple ID, then yes, you have to deal with this. It would be no different if you let your father sign into his Android device with your Google ID.

Won't disagree with your here. I don't understand why Apple doesn't add the same notation as Google does. To clarify though, you don't have to 'scroll' through all the apps...there's a search bar at the top. ;) But yes, does make it far less user friendly.

Sorry, I'll disagree here. How does a user without a phone number use Allo? And what if you'd like to receive those messages on multiple devices? Regarding Duo---it's not that simple as you have to then have your contact install the app, same as any other third party video calling solution, save for needing to set up a user ID. And again, what if you'd like to be able to make/take those calls on more than one device?

Agree, they work and neither platform is perfect. But Google's solutions are far from simple, seamless or ubiquitous. There's a reason why Google has had so many different solutions for these functionalities and none have taken root. And it's a huge lost opportunity, IMO.
[doublepost=1493053982][/doublepost]

Seems like a Gear S2 or S3 would be your best option.

-Signing in, signing off, uncheckings emails, etc isn't any less work than installing Allo or Duo. They are dead simple.

-The loaning out of apple ID orginated before family library, and since my father is older, he still does it. I don't really care either way, and its not like its a HUGE amount of work...but its a point to make when comparing to Android.

-You are correct you can't send messages on allo if the user doesn't have a phone. While we are talking platforms, this is a phone centric forum, and smartphones are rather ubiquitous now. Allo can be used on an Android or iOS device, iMessage can't. Allo also appears to be coming to the web, which would then solve one of your problems.

-Google does have multiple solutions, but this is changing. Google has finally began to prune android (I think the maturity of Android and Google's amibitions with the Pixel line accouts for this) and the multiple solutions it offers. Hangouts is becoming a business-centric solution. Allo is coming to the web, and I imagine Duo will follow. I would not be surpised to see these two become the default solutions on Android, and I expect sms integration eventually. Once this happens, it will be, at least, an equivalent solution. I imagine it may be superior, because of cross platform support...but who knows.

-Once allo goes live on the web, I imagine it will be linked to user idea rather than device.

-You are correct on both accounts with the family library. There is a search bar, but its implementation is lacking.

What is comes down to is a difference in philosophy here. Apple has its integrated solutions, and you are integrated into these solutions by default. It is up to you to opt out on certain devices, etc. Google takes the opposite approach with Android, but the end result is similar.

Reactions: jamezr and tbayrgs

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I like VR so I'm keeping all my Samsung's for that purpose and because VR headset heat the phones up so bad, VR will be the likely cause of their eventual demise. If I get a Note 8 I'm not sure I could bear to consign it to such a fate until it's ready to be replaced anyway.

If I had gotten this phone from AT&T Store and not directly from Samsung I might be more inclined to play the display lottery but as it is, it looks like a big pain in the tail. When I go for the Note 8, I probably won't be looking for freebie or discount bundles and will buy through AT&T after the phone has been a out a few weeks and for problems like this to be worked out first.

I haven't used this phone in the VR headset yet. I might not. If my old phones fit in it I would prefer to keep using them. I do suspect my S7's battery life has taken a small hit from the heat of VR use.

I don't know if they put in a layer of material or whatever between the internals and the glass. But I did a 2 hour VR session with the S8+ and the phone was barely warm. Even while wearing the Gear VR I would occasionally put my hand on the back of the phone, and nothing. Only the slight warmth you get when the display is on for a long time.

Not saying the internals don't heat up, but you can't feel it externally. VR on the S8+ also ran smoother than I ever experienced. I haven't used VR before this since the Note 7, so I can't say if the experience is due to the Oculus updates or the S8+ itself. Maybe both.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
iMessage is a toy compared to a more reliable enterprise messaging system like Hangouts. iMessage is always plagued by vulnerabilities where receiving some characters or video will semi-brick it and/or the device.

Also, Facetime is useless for video conferencing since it's limited to two parties when Hangouts, Skype, etc. can handle a whole party.

And unlike iMessage, Hangouts can also replace your POTS landline since it can call and receive calls from standard 10-digit cellular and POTS line along with SMS/MMS even over WIFI without a plan and for free in countries like North America. Hardly anyone I know uses iMessage when they're informed of other options.

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA

Does the Samsung VR give you a headache? I never used VR other than the google cardboard (didn't care for) and it gave me motion sickness. I got approved for the free promo VR bundle so I am not sure if its something I'll use or just sell for cash. How's the experience with it?

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
iMessage is a toy compared to a more reliable enterprise messaging system like Hangouts. iMessage is always plagued by vulnerabilities where receiving some characters or video will semi-brick it and/or the device.

Also, Facetime is useless for video conferencing since it's limited to two parties when Hangouts, Skype, etc. can handle a whole party.

And unlike iMessage, Hangouts can also replace your POTS landline since it can call and receive calls from standard 10-digit cellular and POTS line along with SMS/MMS even over WIFI without a plan and for free in countries like North America. Hardly anyone I know uses iMessage when they're informed of other options.

Like I wrote before, its very specifc to a persons needs and even location. Europe is more whatsapp from what I hear.
US is imessage and facebook messenger.

I dont agree with calling imessage a toy when barely anyone uses hangouts.. or allo, or google chat or google talk or google text..etc etc. How many more apps will google make that do the same thing?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Yea, but an iPhone user never has to ask another iPhone user "What messaging and video calling app/service do you use?". If you have an iPhone and want to video call someone you know with an iPhone, you just Facetime them without question. That's the issue that Google needs to resolve.
[doublepost=1493062714][/doublepost]
Like I wrote before, its very specifc to a persons needs and even location. Europe is more whatsapp from what I hear.
US is imessage and facebook messenger.

I dont agree with calling imessage a toy when barely anyone uses hangouts.. or allo, or google chat or google talk or google text..etc etc. How many more apps will google make that do the same thing?

This is why I wish Google had bought Whatsapp. It's the most used messenger in the world and has video calling.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Yea, but an iPhone user never has to ask another iPhone user "What messaging and video calling app/service do you use?". If you have an iPhone and want to video call someone you know with an iPhone, you just Facetime them without question. That's the issue that Google needs to resolve.
[doublepost=1493062714][/doublepost]

This is why I wish Google had bought Whatsapp. It's the most used messenger in the world and has video calling.
The most used in the world? Wow, I did not know that.
I did download it a couple times to see who on my contacts uses whats app. It was always a couple but it shows they haven't been active in a while.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
My saving grace with the FPS (because I switch between multiple devices frequently, I've been unable to train myself with the S8's placement) is my Gear S3 watch, and Smart Lock!

I rarely need to venture out to the FPS or Pin/Pattern/Face/Iris unlock..

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
My saving grace with the FPS (because I switch between multiple devices frequently, I've been unable to train myself with the S8's placement) is my Gear S3 watch, and Smart Lock!

I rarely need to venture out to the FPS or Pin/Pattern/Face/Iris unlock..
How does that work? As long as your watch is on you dont have to unlock the phone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.