Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
How many times did they drop the S8 to get the screen to break?
Squaretrade made it look pretty easy, but they do sell insurance so that's to be expected.
Not "the most fragile phone" at all, imo...

Most people will have thier phone in a case, the S8 handle being dropped better than I thought it would. If it had broken the screen on the first drop then yeah, I'd agree that it as fragile but it didn't.
I've never dropped a phone (because I'm careful) but knowing I could drop an S8 or iPhone 7 plus a couple of times from a reasonable height without damage is reassuring.
I know there's a lot of chaos involved and there will be cases where a minor drop could end with devastation but the squaretrade video seems at odds with the non edited, less dramatic , drop test video.

Last edited:

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Every test I have seen online so far is one drop for the S8. Some even 3 feet broke it. There are a ton of tests out there that had many drops on that iPhone and it never had an issue. That iPhone was already put through a lot of stress in his other videos if you watch them (water damage under the screen).

Yes the most fragile. The link I provided even said that if you watched that video. They test all phones and it's the only phone that shattered on the first drop.

Sorry, but facts are facts.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Sorry about your struggles. I too had years of dealing with vertigo and light headedness. No seizures or anything that severe though. Doctors could not diagnose me and gave me all types of medication which only slightly helped. Eventually I discovered that Vitamin supplements basically stopped my vertigo and light headedness. Took every test under the sun and they found no lack of deficiency of anything. It's real stressful when the doctors tell you that you're more than healthy, but you can barely walk a straight line sometimes. So I been taking my Vitamin supplements for years now and never felt better. If it's a placebo effect. then so be it. The mind is a MFer.

Now back to the topic ..... On the Gear VR, sometimes I get that nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach, but that blows over quickly. But some VR titles make me jump out my seat. Have you ever played "Face Your Fears"?
Oh wow, between you and @MRU I guess I found kindred spirits who understand what this all is like.

I know about that Face Your Fears but have been too scared to play it without big sis around. I played a haunted house one with her and my mother in law but I forget the name. I have another one but I tried it for about a minute and ripped the goggles off my head and texted Sis and said she has to be with me for another adventure. It HAS to be Sis. She is the scariest person I know so I can't be scared when she's around. :p. The funny thing is that in real life I've come through some harrowing situations and did not even break a sweat. But put me in the VR Goggles and run the Cirque Du Soleil VR presentation and I will turn into a big chicken!

Mostly I take tours. I'm a virtual travel addict. But even then sometimes I wander into trouble. The weirdest one that I ever tried was some occult one. I thought it was an art tour but it turned out to be some creepy occult thing. It was very well executed but I don't like to be tricked into indoctrination into any belief system, even my own. Truth in advertising and all that.

Reactions: MRU and LIVEFRMNYC

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Every test I have seen online so far is one drop for the S8. Some even 3 feet broke it. There are a ton of tests out there that had many drops on that iPhone and it never had an issue. That iPhone was already put through a lot of stress in his other videos if you watch them (water damage under the screen).

Yes the most fragile. The link I provided even said that if you watched that video. They test all phones and it's the only phone that shattered on the first drop.

Oh well, then it's a fact then.

Last edited:
Reactions: M5RahuL

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My husband was helping me set up more stuff on my phone. His display has a tiny bit of pink tint too. I'm going to keep this one since otherwise it is very good. I got good call quality on a call with my dad.

I don't know why but the fingerprint reader has been working fine today. I had set up some of my apps to accept fingerprints and had no problem with the scanner. I have no problems with the scanner location. I can't say I ever did, but I still think it's a stupid place to put it. Face scanner still doesn't work well, though.

Iris scanner works well.

I am so happy to have 64gb onboard storage for apps and themes. I still try to be conservative about picking themes, wallpapers and apps. But now if I really love a wallpaper I won't pass it up if it's a little bit big. I'm still an admirer of the LG G6 and hope they wise up and give their next phones 64gb to all markets.

My husband is thrilled so far with his S8+. He is surprised by how well his battery is doing. He hasn't had lag yet.

I do have terrible animation "lag." When I close out my browser by going to the home screen there is ugly lag reloading the home screen. I forget how to fix that. I'll have to look it up again. I know it was on one of the you tube videos on this thread.

My Samsung LED wallet case arrived. It's really pretty. If I have time I'll get a picture of it tomorrow. It's Orchid Gray.

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
I do have terrible animation "lag." When I close out my browser by going to the home screen there is ugly lag reloading the home screen. I forget how to fix that. I'll have to look it up again. I know it was on one of the you tube videos on this thread.

My Samsung LED wallet case arrived. It's really pretty. If I have time I'll get a picture of it tomorrow. It's Orchid Gray.

Go to your Settings - About and tap the build number 7 times, it should unlock the developers settings. Then go back to settings and the last setting should be "developers"... go to that and scroll down till you see the 3 animation options which you can set.

Reactions: 5105973

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I'm a bit sceptical of an outfit that sells insurance on phones showing a montage claiming a phone is the most delicate when another video, a video from an Apple centric person, shows otherwise.
I'd go as far to say they are drumming up doubt to increase business.
All we need to see is phone being dropped and the end result. Most people use cases so drops with cases would be more accurate of a real life scenario.

Squaretrades video is not really what I'd call a fact or supporting a fact but that's just me.

A fact is something irrefutable isn't it?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Go to your Settings - About and tap the build number 7 times, it should unlock the developers settings. Then go back to settings and the last setting should be "developers"... go to that and scroll down till you see the 3 animation options which you can set.
You really should not need to remove animations in 2017. 2012 maybe, 2017 certainly not.

Also doing so was always just a sticky plaster solution to cover up poor GUI performance. As it only as we say removes the animation, if there is a delay/lag between an app closing or launching, that will still happen albeit without the animation to mask it.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
A fact is something irrefutable isn't it?

Yes and no.

Generally a fact is seen as irrefutable; however it is based on what we think is a certainty and often the things we think we know are certain are later tested and new evidence points to the contrary.

Indeed on forums such as this (a forum based on what was initially a rumour website) 'fact' does seem to have a rather 'moveable' definition and one that really eschews what we define as a factual. Often here subjective opinion is expressed as fact or taken as such. Often users will use selective evidence to validate their supposition and post that to display evidence of 'fact' and then dismiss evidence which points to the contrary. We have many examples of this within this very thread alone ranging from questionable benchmarks, to flat out miss-information used to validate what is being proported as 'fact'.

On a broader basis ...

Religion/s for example are based very much on what could be described as rather tenuous 'facts', all the time without any real hard evidence. Instead they rely on the 'faith' (an often misplaced sense of trust) from the practitioner of that religion in the factuality.

Often folks on forums like to spout things like 'that's a scientifically proven fact' ... Which is utterly a missapropriation of scientific understanding. All sciences work on 'theorems', and what folks miss-utilise the word 'fact' for, is merely the most currently accepted theorem. Scientists do not work with 'fact'. They work with evidence. All scientific knowledge is tentative and provisional, and nothing is final. There is no such thing as final proven knowledge in science. The currently accepted theory of a phenomenon is simply the best explanation for it among all available alternatives. Its status as the accepted theory is contingent on what other theories are available and might suddenly change tomorrow if there appears a better theory or new evidence that might challenge the accepted theory. No knowledge or theory (which embodies scientific knowledge) is final.

Now there are some areas where facts are static such as in the world of mathematics and we should really refer to a fact as a proof. Proofs exist only in mathematics and logic, not in science. Mathematics and logic are both closed, self-contained systems of propositions.

So to answer your question, is a fact a fact (especially here in the forum) ?

Well yes and no; and it depends on the source, evidence, and the subjective belief of the disseminator and the subsequent reader ....... It is really a can of worms you opened TBH.

Last edited:

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Yes and no.

Generally a fact which is seen as irrefutable, however it is based on what we think we know is a certainty and often the things we think we know are tested and new evidence points to the contrary.

Indeed on forums such as this (a forum based on what was initially a rumour website) 'fact' does seem to have a rather 'moveable' definition and one that really eschews what we define as a factual. Often here subjective opinion is expressed as fact or taken as such.

Religions for example are based quite often very much on what could be described as rather tenuous 'facts' all the time without real hard evidence. Instead they rely on the 'faith' (an often misplaced sense of trust) from the practitioner in the factuality.

Often folks on forums like to spout things like 'that's a scientifically proven fact' ... Which is utterly a missapropriation of scientific understanding. All sciences work on 'theorems', the and what folks miss-utilise the word 'fact' for is merely the most currently accepted theorem. Scientists do not work with 'fact'. They work with evidence. All scientific knowledge is tentative and provisional, and nothing is final. There is no such thing as final proven knowledge in science. The currently accepted theory of a phenomenon is simply the best explanation for it among all available alternatives. Its status as the accepted theory is contingent on what other theories are available and might suddenly change tomorrow if there appears a better theory or new evidence that might challenge the accepted theory. No knowledge or theory (which embodies scientific knowledge) is final.

Now there are some areas where facts are static such as in the world of mathematics and we should really refer to a fact as a proof. Proofs exist only in mathematics and logic, not in science. Mathematics and logic are both closed, self-contained systems of propositions.

Well yes and no and it depends on the source, evidence, and the subjective belief of the disseminator and readers ....... It is really a can of worms you opened TBH.

My question was kind of hypothetical but what a brilliant answer :D

I couldn't help but be reminded of this:

While reading: )

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Yes and no.

Generally a fact which is seen as irrefutable, however it is based on what we think we know is a certainty and often the things we think we know are tested and new evidence points to the contrary.

Indeed on forums such as this (a forum based on what was initially a rumour website) 'fact' does seem to have a rather 'moveable' definition and one that really eschews what we define as a factual. Often here subjective opinion is expressed as fact or taken as such. Often users will use selective evidence to validate their supposition and post that to display evidence of 'fact' and dismiss evidence which points to the contrary. We have may examples of this within this very thread from questionable benchmarks, to flat out miss-information used to validate what is being proposed as 'fact'.

On a broader basis ...

Religions for example are based quite often very much on what could be described as rather tenuous 'facts' all the time without real hard evidence. Instead they rely on the 'faith' (an often misplaced sense of trust) from the practitioner in the factuality.

Often folks on forums like to spout things like 'that's a scientifically proven fact' ... Which is utterly a missapropriation of scientific understanding. All sciences work on 'theorems', the and what folks miss-utilise the word 'fact' for is merely the most currently accepted theorem. Scientists do not work with 'fact'. They work with evidence. All scientific knowledge is tentative and provisional, and nothing is final. There is no such thing as final proven knowledge in science. The currently accepted theory of a phenomenon is simply the best explanation for it among all available alternatives. Its status as the accepted theory is contingent on what other theories are available and might suddenly change tomorrow if there appears a better theory or new evidence that might challenge the accepted theory. No knowledge or theory (which embodies scientific knowledge) is final.

Well yes and no and it depends on the source, evidence, and the subjective belief of the disseminator and readers ....... It is really a can of worms you opened TBH.

How do you know so much of this. My mind almost exploded reading it. I don't know what I just read

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Yes and no.

Indeed on forums such as this (a forum based on what was initially a rumour website) 'fact' does seem to have a rather 'moveable' definition and one that really eschews what we define as a factual. Often here subjective opinion is expressed as fact or taken as such. Often users will use selective evidence to validate their supposition and post that to display evidence of 'fact' and dismiss evidence which points to the contrary. We have may examples of this within this very thread from questionable benchmarks, to flat out miss-information used to validate what is being proposed as 'fact'.

On a broader basis ...

Spot. On.

;)

Reactions: MRU

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thank you. The lag is lessened but there is still a stutter. I just saw on Android Central that someone else with an AT&T phone has the same issue. I am going to follow that thread and see if they find out what's really causing this. My husband has probably at least twice as many apps loaded as I do and doesn't have this. He even has a theme loaded. I just have 5 wallpapers loaded. But the one on my lock screen does move a lot so I will check that.

Apps still seem to load fast. Really fast. So it's not the kind of lag most people complain about. It's a stutter and lag going back to the home screen.

Oh well if I can't solve it I'll ask my husband to give it a look. If he has time. THAT is the problem.

Update...Ok I just turned transition animation completely off. It looks weird to do that but at least the stutter is gone.

Thanks again for showing me how to get to developer mode.
[doublepost=1493121643][/doublepost]
How do you know so much of this. My mind almost exploded reading it. I don't know what I just read
Lol I skipped it because I can understand only so much without my morning coffee... which I am supposed to give up due to acid reflux...But...Nooooo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Snot Rox and MRU

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
So far i really like the S8+ (black verizon), no lag/stutter here, no red tint. I have the phone pretty much setup they way i want, still trying to figure out a couple of things.

Right now i am trying to work out airplay, does anyone know of an app that would let me send audio to the Apple Air Port that i use for the speakes on my patio. If i need to i can just keep my old 5s laying around for this, but would be nice if i could do it right from the S8

Reactions: blaine07 and jamezr

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Thank you. The lag is lessened but there is still a stutter. I just saw on Android Central that someone else with an AT&T phone has the same issue. I am going to follow that thread and see if they find out what's really causing this. My husband has probably at least twice as many apps loaded as I do and doesn't have this. He even has a theme loaded. I just have 5 wallpapers loaded. But the one on my lock screen does move a lot so I will check that.

Apps still seem to load fast. Really fast. So it's not the kind of lag most people complain about. It's a stutter and lag going back to the home screen.

Oh well if I can't solve it I'll ask my husband to give it a look. If he has time. THAT is the problem.

Update...Ok I just turned transition animation completely off. It looks weird to do that but at least the stutter is gone.

Lol I skipped it because I can understand only so much without my morning coffee... which I am supposed to give up due to acid reflux...But...Nooooo.

Do you have one handed mode set using the home button triple press? The reason I ask is if you do, there is a slight delay after you press the home button while it waits to see if you're going to continue pressing and that may be contributing to your issue

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
I am struggling ... If it was the S8 with €100 off I would have ordered.

The good thing is if there are some great deals and we haven't even got official launch date, then surely in a few weeks time there should be even better ones.

As a side note and a heads up for European customers Amazon.it (Italian Amazon) has noticeable price savings compared to .UK / .DE regional versions. Even LG G6 (euro model) can be picked up for just over €600 whereas on Amazon Germany it's €749 ....
£810 on UK amazon odd

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

lol.....i have seen videos of all kinds and sorts. Videos on YT where they kill a iphone easier than anyother phone. So does that make it a fact? I have seen YT videos where certain phones seem indestructible....yet we all know in real life they are not because we actually had those phones. That doesn't make it fact.

Just because you saw it on the internet on a YT video doesn't make it fact. Keep searching and you will find another YT video to disprove the first one.

Then will you be back here in the fall when the new iphone is rumored to be all glass and proclaim the same thing about glass phones?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

try animations set to 0.5. I don't like them at 1.0 nor do I like them off. I feel like 0.5 is the sweet spot but YMMV!

Last edited:
Reactions: M5RahuL

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
So far i really like the S8+ (black verizon), no lag/stutter here, no red tint. I have the phone pretty much setup they way i want, still trying to figure out a couple of things.

Right now i am trying to work out airplay, does anyone know of an app that would let me send audio to the Apple Air Port that i use for the speakes on my patio. If i need to i can just keep my old 5s laying around for this, but would be nice if i could do it right from the S8

Try doubleTwist. I believe you need the paid version for AirPlay functionality (I linked to the paid version).

doubleTwist Music Player’s AirPlay music streaming is now alive again

Without knowing your specific use case, have you considering using a Chromecast Audio? Even though I'm using mostly Apple gear (iPhone, iPads, Macs), I stopped using AirPlay to my Apple TV or AirPlay compatible audio receiver once Chromecast Audio came out and made multi-room playback possible without needed to spend insane $ on Sonos. My entire music library has been uploaded to Google Music so I now can Cast my music to any/all of the Chromecast Audio devices I have connected to speakers around the house. At $35 each, it was a no brainer. And it lets me continue to use my phone however i'd like without disrupting playback as is often the case when using AirPlay.

Just a suggestion that might be worth checking out.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Try doubleTwist. I believe you need the paid version for AirPlay functionality (I linked to the paid version).

doubleTwist Music Player’s AirPlay music streaming is now alive again

Without knowing your specific use case, have you considering using a Chromecast Audio? Even though I'm using mostly Apple gear (iPhone, iPads, Macs), I stopped using AirPlay to my Apple TV or AirPlay compatible audio receiver once Chromecast Audio came out and made multi-room playback possible without needed to spend insane $ on Sonos. My entire music library has been uploaded to Google Music so I now can Cast my music to any/all of the Chromecast Audio devices I have connected to speakers around the house. At $35 each, it was a no brainer. And it lets me continue to use my phone however i'd like without disrupting playback as is often the case when using AirPlay.

Just a suggestion that might be worth checking out.
Currently i have the Airport hooked to an AMP that powers the speakers on the patio, would the chrome cast hookup to the airport or the amp. Typically i send music from my SiriusXM app to the patio speakers, does Chromecast only work if you are using google play or will it work from any app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.