Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
iMessage is a toy compared to a more reliable enterprise messaging system like Hangouts. iMessage is always plagued by vulnerabilities where receiving some characters or video will semi-brick it and/or the device.

I think you're missing our point. iMessage requires no setup to use, and so many people in the US have it, it's just easier. I, nor anyone I know, has had a device bricked by anything in iMessage. Yes, there have been bugs. Unless you have friends (or enemies I guess) that want to send you these messages, it will not happen in normal use. It's not that iMessage is "better", it's just on every device that I, my family, and my in-laws own with no setup required.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
How does that work? As long as your watch is on you dont have to unlock the phone?

Yeah, I've been using the Smart Lock extensively with the S8. At home (location based), work & outdoors (BT'd to my watch) and with my cars audio system (BT again)

Great feature!

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Yeah, I've been using the Smart Lock extensively with the S8. At home (location based), work & outdoors (BT'd to my watch) and with my cars audio system (BT again)

Great feature!

I personally don't feel comfortable using Smart Lock with my watch. By a slim chance I get robbed, if they take my watch too, they will have access to my phone. Not likely too happen, but just saying.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Yea, but an iPhone user never has to ask another iPhone user "What messaging and video calling app/service do you use?". If you have an iPhone and want to video call someone you know with an iPhone, you just Facetime them without question.

FYI :) That's not 100% true as FaceTime is banned in some countries and is not even installed on the IPhone.

There are regional variances that need to be catered for by country Teleco's. This is one of the reason that the IPhone warranty is not a 100% international (ie they have the right to refuse repair and can only be done in country of purchase) else they could breach other country telecom laws for example.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Does the Samsung VR give you a headache? I never used VR other than the google cardboard (didn't care for) and it gave me motion sickness. I got approved for the free promo VR bundle so I am not sure if its something I'll use or just sell for cash. How's the experience with it?
No, so far I haven't gotten a headache from it. But I am far from a typical case. As an experiment I even tried it while experiencing a migraine and felt better while in VR and went back to feeling headache and nausea after I was done With VR. But I can also ride amusement park rides that should make me sick but don't. On the other hand I have vertigo a lot just walking around the house. And I can't watch the new big screen TV for very long or often. I eventually become easy to trigger for a seizure if I watch TV for an hour a day for about a week. Fortunately I am not a big fan of TV.

So I'm pretty much the complete opposite of everyone else in my family who does get nausea and headaches in VR but lives a normal life otherwise. VR makes me feel better.

As far as the seizures go my neurologist says it's not epilepsy but a kind of migraine. Sometimes it mimics a stroke and I can't speak clearly or write or use one hand for a day or so. But that's become very rare now that I avoid known triggers.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I personally don't feel comfortable using Smart Lock with my watch. By a slim chance I get robbed, if they take my watch too, they will have access to my phone. Not likely too happen, but just saying.

Do the Gear S watches operate similarly to the iPhone, specifically, keeping your watch unlocked as long as it stays in contact with your body and you've unlocked your phone? I guess I should ask, can you unlock your watch by unlocking your phone?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I think you're missing our point.

Your point was unimportant to him, it just served as a flimsy pretense to continue his ongoing mission to disseminate Apple hatred at all times...

I can't be the only one who thinks it's strange that someone who hates something as much as he does, would spend such an inordinate amount of time pouring out the vitriol like an unhealthy obsession rather than just simply enjoy something else and move on.

Last edited:

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
Sooooo unfortunately I had to return my S8+. The FP scanner was the deal breaker. I need to lock my phone, I use it for work. So I am unlocking my phone countless times a day, and there is nothing as seamless as a good FP scanner. Also, there are a great many places around me that take mobile payment, so another use case in which the FP scanner just made things impossible. Iris scanning is fine when you're stationary at a desk, but on the go not so much. And I sure as hell ain't going back to tapping in a 4 digit pin constantly again. Horse left that barn a long time ago.

I've said this before, and I want to be clear: while the placement of the scanner isn't ideal, that wasn't the issue. The scanner itself is crap. There were times it kept rejecting my attempts where it got to the point I wanted to throw it against a wall. I don't think this can be highlighted enough because if Sammy simply "fixes" this on the Note 8 by moving the same crappy FP scanner to a better location, it won't matter.
I wonder if there are some faulty FP scanners out there because my experience has been the complete opposite: I don't use it much as I like the retina scan but when I do use it it's been fast and accurate. I've just tested it by unlocking with my finger and it worked 10 times out of 10 and each time under a second.

I've got a case on my S8 which maybe helps with the positioning? The other thing I did was add both my index fingers twice as they're pretty much the only ones that you can use the FP scanner with

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJUAE

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Don't resist lol
I am struggling ... If it was the S8 with €100 off I would have ordered.

The good thing is if there are some great deals and we haven't even got official launch date, then surely in a few weeks time there should be even better ones.

As a side note and a heads up for European customers Amazon.it (Italian Amazon) has noticeable price savings compared to .UK / .DE regional versions. Even LG G6 (euro model) can be picked up for just over €600 whereas on Amazon Germany it's €749 ....

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Do the Gear S watches operate similarly to the iPhone, specifically, keeping your watch unlocked as long as it stays in contact with your body and you've unlocked your phone? I guess I should ask, can you unlock your watch by unlocking your phone?

The Gear S watches do have the option to lock with code, and will auto lock when you take it off your skin.
I never realized "Unlock with iPhone" was ever an option. The option was already on when I checked.
No, I can't unlock my S2 Classic by unlocking my phone.

So I tested it out, My phone is still unlocked with Smart Lock enabled to the watch, even if the watch itself it locked. Which would be bad if somebody had both in their possession.

Reactions: Demo Kit

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I wonder if there are some faulty FP scanners out there because my experience has been the complete opposite: I don't use it much as I like the retina scan but when I do use it it's been fast and accurate. I've just tested it by unlocking with my finger and it worked 10 times out of 10 and each time under a second.

Fingerprint scanner technology is just more susceptible to abnormal skin conditions such as dry skin or overly moist skin. That's why the industry is moving to contactless authentication like iris scanning.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
No, so far I haven't gotten a headache from it. But I am far from a typical case. As an experiment I even tried it while experiencing a migraine and felt better while in VR and went back to feeling headache and nausea after I was done With VR. But I can also ride amusement park rides that should make me sick but don't. On the other hand I have vertigo a lot just walking around the house. And I can't watch the new big screen TV for very long or often. I eventually become easy to trigger for a seizure if I watch TV for an hour a day for about a week. Fortunately I am not a big fan of TV.

So I'm pretty much the complete opposite of everyone else in my family who does get nausea and headaches in VR but lives a normal life otherwise. VR makes me feel better.

As far as the seizures go my neurologist says it's not epilepsy but a kind of migraine. Sometimes it mimics a stroke and I can't speak clearly or write or use one hand for a day or so. But that's become very rare now that I avoid known triggers.

Sorry about your struggles. I too had years of dealing with vertigo and light headedness. No seizures or anything that severe though. Doctors could not diagnose me and gave me all types of medication which only slightly helped. Eventually I discovered that Vitamin supplements basically stopped my vertigo and light headedness. Took every test under the sun and they found no lack of deficiency of anything. It's real stressful when the doctors tell you that you're more than healthy, but you can barely walk a straight line sometimes. So I been taking my Vitamin supplements for years now and never felt better. If it's a placebo effect. then so be it. The mind is a MFer.

Now back to the topic ..... On the Gear VR, sometimes I get that nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach, but that blows over quickly. But some VR titles make me jump out my seat. Have you ever played "Face Your Fears"?

Reactions: 5105973 and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I had severe epilepsy (tonic-clonic & absence) as a child and whilst i grew out of it mostly during puberty, i still today as I approach 40, get myclonic micro seizures so can totally empathise. Thankfully I can feel them coming on and usually last just a few minutes. Like you say it's knowing the triggers and trying to avoid them as best as you can. I am actively avoiding re-taking epilen meds as they can actually make incidents greater when you stop taking them and just changed my lifestyle to suit / deal with it...

I have noticed Vertigo in Women is not uncommon these days, whether it's modern lifestyles or more prominent diagnosis, I'm not sure why the rise.

Anyway mind yourself

Reactions: 5105973

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Sorry to hear that. Feel better. Try to take it easier too since life can get too tense and stressful.

Reactions: 5105973

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Not really though...

I didn't watch your video....but it is a metal phone vs a glass phone, what the heck do you think will happen in a drop test? Who will fair worse? It is common sense.

The next iphone "super-expensive" edition, or whatever it will be called, will suffer the same fate as the s8 if it is a glass-backed phone.

I have a Pixel XL, so I don't really have a pony in this fight. I just had to point that out....

Reactions: jamezr

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I didn't watch your video....but it is a metal phone vs a glass phone, what the heck do you think will happen in a drop test? Who will fair worse? It is common sense.

The next iphone "super-expensive" edition, or whatever it will be called, will suffer the same fate as the s8 if it is a glass-backed phone.

I have a Pixel XL, so I don't really have a pony in this fight. I just had to point that out....

Watch the video maybe?

Reactions: Demo Kit
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.