Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
lol.....i have seen videos of all kinds and sorts. Videos on YT where they kill a iphone easier than anyother phone. So does that make it a fact? I have seen YT videos where certain phones seem indestructible....yet we all know in real life they are not because we actually had those phones. That doesn't make it fact.

Just because you saw it on the internet on a YT video doesn't make it fact. Keep searching and you will find another YT video to disprove the first one.

Then will you be back here in the fall when the new iphone is rumored to be all glass and proclaim the same thing about glass phones?

I only consider it fact when it's from legitimate sources like the video I posted above and CNET which both say it's very fragile and shattered in one drop. Sorry, but being fragile, that is a fact.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I only consider it fact when it's from legitimate sources like the video I posted above and CNET which both say it's very fragile and shattered in one drop. Sorry, but being fragile, that is a fact.
Like I said........you will be touting the next iphone as fragile if it is all glass too right?

But i do agree that glass back phones are easier to break than non glass phones.

Reactions: Demo Kit

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Like I said........you will be touting the next iphone as fragile if it is all glass too right?

But i do agree that glass back phones are easier to break than non glass phones.

IF the iPhone is all glass, of course it will be fragile. Doesn't mean it is now. And Apple may not go that route.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
IF the iPhone is all glass, of course it will be fragile. Doesn't mean it is now. And Apple may not go that route.
most rumors here on MR have said there will be a glass backed iphone model of some kind. I am sure you will post videos of how fragile glass backed phones are then too.....

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
try animations set to 0.5. I don't like them at 1.0 nor do I like them off. I feel like 0.5 is the sweet spot but YMMV!
It was still a bit choppy at .5. I wonder why some people have no choppiness at default and some do. I quickly got used to it being turned off. I can turn it to 2 for smoothness but then it runs slower than I would prefer. It's weird because I'm not one to usually mind a machine running slow. I think maybe this was either too languid or too choppy even for me, though. I'm glad flipping between apps seems good, though.

The big screen, pink framed though it might be, is so addictive. I thought I used my S7 Edge plenty, and my S7, but this is a different level of immersive for me, very much like my Note 7. I think I might even like this display a little better than the one on my Note 7. The pink pink pink is inescapable and horribly distracting at times and so very very weird, but I seem to experience less eye fatigue than I did/do on my other Edge displays that I've had. The real test will be playing a game on it. But I won't have time to do that this week. Last week was a funeral and other family stuff. This week it's happier events but so many of them! :eek: My husband's schedule is worse and we both just want to curl up and put our new phones through their paces. :D We still haven't settled on what texting we want to use yet. We have Wired installed as of this morning but doesn't seem to be getting my texts on it.

As for how fragile the phone is vs an iPhone 7 Plus all I can say is I have both and do my damnedest not to drop either of them. Hit anything at a bad angle and have bad luck and you could have an expensive repair bill. The VR goggles forcibly ejected my S7 across the room onto a hardwood floor and it was fine even without any protection. That was good luck. I once dropped a 6S plus from waist height in a wallet case and the display shattered. That was bad luck. I try not to trust to luck when I can help it. But poop happens.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Screenshot_20170425-153806_zpsj03plule.png

My camera doesn't seem to want to work. :confused:

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
PSA: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/04/24/best-galaxy-s8-accessory-magnetic-air-vent-car-mounts/

Best Galaxy S8 Accessory: Magnetic Air Vent Car Mounts

This is an AWESOME car accessory. I use it for my S6 and for my S7E when I had it last year and it worked tremendously well. It's a magnetic dock and it feels like magic; you throw it on and it just sticks. Pull it off and it comes right off. Fellow passengers are always impressed by it in action. ;)

Due to the magnetic sensors on the back of Galaxy devices (thanks to wireless charging), it sticks without any extra accessory.

Oh and they're affordable!

EDIT: I should mention I use my phone naked, so, yeah, if you have a case, YMMV. Or you'll have to use the magnetic strip (you can try to fit it on the interior back of your case so it doesn't show, like in the video).

Just be aware:
that once you place a piece of metal on the center of your case to use this car vent, your wireless charging and Android pay/Samsung pay will no longer function. The metal blocks these functions.

Last edited:
Reactions: sman789 and jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
PSA: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/04/24/best-galaxy-s8-accessory-magnetic-air-vent-car-mounts/

This is an AWESOME car accessory. I use it for my S6 and for my S7E when I had it last year and it worked tremendously well. It's a magnetic dock and it feels like magic; you throw it on and it just sticks. Pull it off and it comes right off. Fellow passengers are always impressed by it in action. ;)

Due to the magnetic sensors on the back of Galaxy devices (thanks to wireless charging), it sticks without any extra accessory.

EDIT: I should mention I use my phone naked, so, yeah, if you have a case, YMMV. Or you'll have to use the magnetic strip (you can try to fit it on the interior back of your case so it doesn't show, like in the video).
Nice! I might have to try that :)

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Just did a restart. Still getting camera failed.

In work at min so don't really wanna do a factory reset as need my phone with me straight from work.

This is not good. Also noticed i have a pink screen now too. Just on the left and right of the display.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Currently i have the Airport hooked to an AMP that powers the speakers on the patio, would the chrome cast hookup to the airport or the amp. Typically i send music from my SiriusXM app to the patio speakers, does Chromecast only work if you are using google play or will it work from any app?

The Chromecast Audio would connect to your amp, via either optical or aux input. It uses your wifi network. Also, it'll take input from any app that has Cast support. No idea if SiriusXM has Chromecast support since I don't have the app nor subscribe to be able to check but Cast support is pretty widespread at this point, especially if apps are available on multiple platforms. I cast from Google Play Music and Pocket Casts and most widely used audio apps also support it (Spotify, Tunein, Pandora, etc). If an app is compatible, you'll see this icon when it's on the same network as any Cast supported devices:

IMG_0108.PNG

For example, this is what I see on Google Play Music--Cast option next to the AirPlay option at the bottom.

IMG_0225.jpg

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

yeah, I use one of these but the one that sticks to my windshield. in the Texas heat, I can't have an a/c vent blocked! plus, I don't like looking down for maps, etc. I like looking eye level so I have a good magnetic windshield mount on the bottom left corner of my windshield.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

Just be aware, that once you place a piece of metal on the center of your case to use this car vent, your wireless charging and Android pay/Samsung pay will no longer function. The metal blocks these functions.

Reactions: epicrayban

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Did you go and disabled some (essential) apps in App Manager?

What do you mean? Sorry for my not understanding!
I checked app permissions and camera was not disabled. I force stopped it to see if it would help but it hasn't.
Still getting camera failed. :(

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
What do you mean? Sorry for my not understanding!
I checked app permissions and camera was not disabled. I force stopped it to see if it would help but it hasn't.
Still getting camera failed. :(

Did you disable any other apps when you were setting up the phone?

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Did you disable any other apps when you were setting up the phone?

No I haven't disables anything.
The camera was working fine.

Just checked snapchat and camera works. When I turn it to selfie mode snap chat freezes. And when I load my camera app it is set on selfie mode so it must be the front facing camera that's the issue.
The camera app does not give me any time to swap it to the rear camera before it gives me the error message.

Please don't tell me it's a dud. CPW won't do anything about it other than send it for repair I don't think, as it is an upgrade, not a new connection. :(

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
most rumors here on MR have said there will be a glass backed iphone model of some kind. I am sure you will post videos of how fragile glass backed phones are then too.....

Not to what we have been seeing recently. Shows metal.

And that is just it. It's just rumors. And just because you now own an S8 doesn't make it the best phone period. Get over it.

Last edited:

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Just did a restart. Still getting camera failed.

In work at min so don't really wanna do a factory reset as need my phone with me straight from work.

This is not good. Also noticed i have a pink screen now too. Just on the left and right of the display.
BlackBerry are sabotaging your S8

Reactions: jamezr

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
No I haven't disables anything.
The camera was working fine.

Just checked snapchat and camera works. When I turn it to selfie mode snap chat freezes. And when I load my camera app it is set on selfie mode so it must be the front facing camera that's the issue.
The camera app does not give me any time to swap it to the rear camera before it gives me the error message.

Please don't tell me it's a dud. CPW won't do anything about it other than send it for repair I don't think, as it is an upgrade, not a new connection. :(
Does sound like front facing camera is failing hardware wise sadly.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA

Nice, I have a magnetic mount that I used with Nexus 5 without a case. Time to break it out again.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Just be aware, that once you place a piece of metal on the center of your case to use this car vent, your wireless charging and Android pay/Samsung pay will no longer function. The metal blocks these functions.

Good to know! I'll edit my post to add this warning.

Another great reason to go naked. ;)

Reactions: Lloydbm41
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.