Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sevanw

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
2 thumbs up for Samsung... I've always been skeptical of Android due to its internet browsing experience.

Apple has been a leader in the mobile space when it comes to a smooth internet browsing experience... I've always enjoyed using Safari on the iPhone compared to Chrome on any other Android phone.

But now, that lead has lessen... Samsung Internet Browser is up to par. With this gorgeous display, I've added some of my bookmarks to it's quick access option... And the highly appreciated ad blocking content extension, which is awesome!

Now, I understand why Google Chrome has decided to add a ad blocking system to their mobile app. I think Samsung is a legitimate threat. Well, I'm still running my Galaxy S8+ lap and so far so good. Just felt the urge to share my thoughts on what a well done job Samsung has accomplished.

Samsung browser also lets you hide the status bar, which is huge for me. And it also lets you use Samsung Pass to log into your websites with your fp. Very handy.

Reactions: Demo Kit

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
Wow the S8 color was way off on some of those pictures. Especially the Tesla one. It looked more blue than Grey. I would say the Pixel and iPhone had the best and most accurate pictures for color. The S8 was the sharpest but had poor realistic colors.

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
This was interesting......
I cast this video from my computer to my 65 inch TV.....you can really see the differences on a bigger screen.

I consistently picked the S8 and Pixel to be honest. But thought the OnePlus 3 and G6 pics were pretty bad....

Top 5 Smartphone Cameras: The Blind Test!
I preferred the 7 plus and g6 from all of them.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The more I use it the more I like the Samsung browser to be honest. Its pretty dang good....

Yeah I would always use Google Chrome and then started to use the Samsung browser and it reminded me on Safari in a way.

IIRC, there was once upon a time a way to sync Chrome bookmarks with the Samsung browser? Is this still the case?

As good as Chrome is on desktop OS, I still find it lackluster at best on mobile and sync across all of my devices is a must have.

Reactions: jamezr

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
IIRC, there was once upon a time a way to sync Chrome bookmarks with the Samsung browser? Is this still the case?

As good as Chrome is on desktop OS, I still find it lackluster at best on mobile and sync across all of my devices is a must have.
Yessir there is a chrome extension for the Samsung browser.

f54b3ee40bdd11cb1fecfbd109e96ded.jpg

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Anyone have a recommendation for file access on the Mac? All of my other Android devices work with Android File Transfer when connected via USB. The S8, S6 and my departed Tab A aren't compatible with it.

Android file transfer worked on my Mac today. Did you change the USB mode from charging to file transfer?

EDIT: did you install Smart Switch on your mac? I do remember it saying that AFT wouldn't work after installed. Now that I have installed Smart Switch (to back up my S8), AFT doesn't work.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas

I went into trying to find the iPhone photos. Since I've had the iPhone 7 Plus since launch... and took countless photos with it. I just came impressed that I knew which photos were the iPhone.

I think over time continuing using the Galaxy s8+... I can distinguish which photos they take.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Hey thanks! Well my camera is suddenly working again.
I had a tennis match this evening so my phone was in my bag for around 3 hours. Picked it up at the end and whilst we were eating in the pub after, i tried it and it worked. Very odd.

Regarding the pink tint. I'd never noticed it before. But i guess i never scrutinised it. I so have never had a proper edge on my phone outside of my brief Note 7 stint, so i guess it just looks like that's how it's meant to be. I honestly probably wouldn't have even paid any mind to it had i not seen the posts on here!! :p

Now I'm not sure what to do about this camera! I'll see if i can exchange it still just to be on the safe side.
All right we need to stop talking to each other. ;)Now my camera is acting up. It kept crashing when I was trying to take pictures of the defective screen protector on my iPhone for Anker. It refuses to focus close up. I can get a pic like that easily with my iPhone...If my iPhone weren't sporting the object I need to photograph. But my Samsung balked at focusing. I think I just need to get a better feel for how to use it. As for the crashing, my Edge has done that and so has my husband's so it's probably time for a reboot.

Anyway you caught pink tint disorder and I caught funky camera disorder. :p

I was at a Microsoft store earlier this evening and saw their Samsung S8's. Whoa...They weren't even on a tether in there. :eek:You can hold them freely. I told the really nice salesgirl about my pink screen and we looked at the display model and sure enough it had a pink frame, too. It wasn't as blotchy as mine which is really bad on the lower right. But it's there. It was otherwise a gorgeous display. The black version of this phone is gorgeous. I almost had an envy.

This pink-gate is the goofiest gate ever. It's so much better than cat pee yellow gate was for the iPhones, though. I am going to get a pearlescent nail polish to match it.

I would think of exchanging it if anything else goes wonky on it, though. I am still a bit concerned about that shuddery laggy animation I had to turn off. Hubby's phone runs smooth as silk and fast even though he's loaded up with apps and I think I have only 20 or so that I loaded. And two widgets besides the one that came with the phone. I have Flamingo for Twitter and a widget of the stock calendar. I can't imagine I've overloaded it. All my apps are pretty standard ones. Except Grumpy Cat weather. But my animations lagged before I downloaded that.

I wish I had more time to test this phone like I do my others before the return period is up. But from tomorrow around 11 am I won't catch a break until next Monday. I might get some free time on Friday. I'm exhausted. :(. And an overhead light on my truck must have gotten a loose wire because now it turns on when I hit the brakes or go over a rough patch on the road. :rolleyes: I think the gremlins or pixies broke out of my Samsung and got into my truck now. I think I read a Stephen King story in some anthology about wee beasties that did that to some poor guy' stuff. It might be true. Trouble with tech usually besets me in clusters.

The fingerprint scanner is still doing great. Color me shocked, as well as pink, about that.

Well I must get my sleep. Take care, everyone and enjoy your stuffs!
[doublepost=1493177649][/doublepost]
Do you have one handed mode set using the home button triple press? The reason I ask is if you do, there is a slight delay after you press the home button while it waits to see if you're going to continue pressing and that may be contributing to your issue
Sorry I didn't see your post initially. I'll have to find that setting and check it... Tomorrow. I am about to fall on my face. Zzz

Reactions: Aneres11

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
The fingerprint scanner is still doing great. Color me shocked, as well as pink, about that.

You know the more I use the fingerprint scanner I don't mind it at all. Actually for a large phone like the S8+ if it had the same small oval sensor in front like the S7 did it would actually be harder to use one handed IMHO. At least where it is now I can still use it with having a good grip with just one hand.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
You know the more I use the fingerprint scanner I don't mind it at all. Actually for a large phone like the S8+ if it had the same small oval sensor in front like the S7 did it would actually be harder to use one handed IMHO. At least where it is now I can still use it with having a good grip with just one hand.

Slowly you will think having it at the back is better than front. Main advantage is you can pick up the phone with one hand and have it unlocked at one go with just touching sensor. Much better than needing to reach and press the difficult to reach button at front (esp with one hand)

Kiezpirat80

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Germany
I cast this video from my computer to my 65 inch TV.....you can really see the differences on a bigger screen.

I consistently picked the S8 and Pixel to be honest. But thought the OnePlus 3 and G6 pics were pretty bad....

Top 5 Smartphone Cameras: The Blind Test!

Yes nice video. On my list S8 wins, second Pixel.
[doublepost=1493187389][/doublepost]T
2 thumbs up for Samsung... I've always been skeptical of Android due to its internet browsing experience.

Apple has been a leader in the mobile space when it comes to a smooth internet browsing experience... I've always enjoyed using Safari on the iPhone compared to Chrome on any other Android phone.

But now, that lead has lessen... Samsung Internet Browser is up to par. With this gorgeous display, I've added some of my bookmarks to it's quick access option... And the highly appreciated ad blocking content extension, which is awesome!

Now, I understand why Google Chrome has decided to add a ad blocking system to their mobile app. I think Samsung is a legitimate threat. Well, I'm still running my Galaxy S8+ lap and so far so good. Just felt the urge to share my thoughts on what a well done job Samsung has accomplished.
The Samsung Browser was already great on the S7 and Note 5, it seems many ignoring it because they think chrome must be better.

Reactions: Demo Kit

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
Guys, there has to be a way to transfer my movies ( bought from iTunes ) to Android ..help! I got too many purchased movies and want'em on my S8!

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Reactions: M5RahuL

nickosbad

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2009
Can't say I've ever tried but I googled it and there does seem to be some solutions, if not a little long winded...
https://www.google.co.nz/search?cli...hy8HTAhUHupQKHb9RC6UQvwUIFCgA&biw=360&bih=512
[doublepost=1493192033][/doublepost]Or there's this but in the play store..
http://www.synctunes.net

I had issues last night when trying to transfer files over 4GB in size to a Samsung J3 (experimenting with it to see if I could go S8 full time)

AFT wouldn't transfer anything over 4GB but then I had a thought.......if the movies are on a USB Flash drive, could I use my Apple USB C Adapter and plug that into the S8 and plug the USB stick in that way??

Would it transfer directly from the flash drive??

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
I had issues last night when trying to transfer files over 4GB in size to a Samsung J3 (experimenting with it to see if I could go S8 full time)

AFT wouldn't transfer anything over 4GB but then I had a thought.......if the movies are on a USB Flash drive, could I use my Apple USB C Adapter and plug that into the S8 and plug the USB stick in that way??

That 4GB limit sounds like you're hitting the maximum file size for the FAT file system. Are you transferring to the J3's internal storage or an SD card? Especially in the latter case it's most likely that the card is formatted with the FAT format and it won't accept files over 4GB no matter how you try to transfer them.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013

Sorry, I really have no idea?
But the fat format limitation makes sense, you could try exFat or ntfs but I'm not sure ntfs plays nice with android, I usually format within the device.

Last edited:

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I'm going to ask a really stupid question now, but what is the purpose of the under screen home button? I haven't used it once since I've had the phone.

If i need to go back to my home screen i just use the middle touch button. Is there a reason for it being there that I'm unaware of?!

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I'm going to ask a really stupid question now, but what is the purpose of the under screen home button? I haven't used it once since I've had the phone.

If i need to go back to my home screen i just use the middle touch button. Is there a reason for it being there that I'm unaware of?!

I suppose for full screen apps where on screen buttons are hidden it still provides you with a semi-physical home button instead of having to swipe in to get the capacitive buttons to show up.

It's likely this was a last minute change of use ...

What I imagine is that it was actually in that area where they planned to house the under screen finger print reader, so a press in that area and the haptic feedback / click would have worked to indicate your thumb or finger was in the right spot to be read.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

Because it's quicker than just swiping for the on screen buttons when it's not visable. And Samsung users have been used to a physical button for the longest, so they probably didn't want alienate their loyal consumer base.

And likes MRU already mentioned, the original plans was also for a FP sensor built with it.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I found out something interesting this morning. I took a picture of my cat with my iPhone 7Plus and my S8+. I held the two phones up so my husband and I could take a look at the results. The colors were way more accurate and reflective of reality on the iPhone.

However, when viewing the photos on the iPhone via Google Photos, the iPhone pic and the S8+ pic were just about identical in terms of hue and saturation. I could see no difference and had to look at the exif data to see which picture was taken by which phone.

I think my iPhone display is unfortunately far superior for photographers wanting to review their results for color accuracy. The Samsung display is beautiful for content consumption but so far, at least as long as the pink hue problem renders the other modes unusable, for me at least, it presents colors less accurately. Even a bit less pleasing because with Adaptive mode the colors were a bit colder compared to the scene right before my eyes in real life. I know I can adjust this with sliders to some degree and I will once Samsung releases a fix for the pink tint issue.

Reactions: nj1266 and Roadstar

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Because it's quicker than just swiping for the on screen buttons when it's not visable. And Samsung users have been used to a physical button for the longest, so they probably didn't want alienate their loyal consumer base.

And likes MRU already mentioned, the original plans was also for a FP sensor built with it.

Exactly that first sentence. Touchwiz figured out on screen buttons better than stock Android. It's really well implemented -- an always-there invisible home button.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.