Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
yeah, I use one of these but the one that sticks to my windshield. in the Texas heat, I can't have an a/c vent blocked! plus, I don't like looking down for maps, etc. I like looking eye level so I have a good magnetic windshield mount on the bottom left corner of my windshield.

Nice. Link?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Nice. Link?

this one is quite popular for dash users:
LINK

but I prefer windshield. This is the one I currently have. I've used several cheap ones in the past that just do not last. But this one feels very sturdy and seems like it'll last longer than the others I have tried.
LINK

EDIT to say: this mount works great on a naked S8 without a case or metal plate. With a slim TPU case, it's not as strong of a connection and may need the metal plate. The nice thing about the mount with a naked S8 is the magnet connection has a nice, subtle rubber coat on it, so the glass back and rubber also increase friction to help it not slide up/down.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
BlackBerry are sabotaging your S8

This is literally what went through my mind. :(

Definitely seems like a hardware fault. I'm in CPW tomorrow so will see what they say. It'll prob be worth me keeping hold of it until Friday til it's officially out and doing a straight faulty exchange.

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
No I haven't disables anything.
The camera was working fine.

Just checked snapchat and camera works. When I turn it to selfie mode snap chat freezes. And when I load my camera app it is set on selfie mode so it must be the front facing camera that's the issue.
The camera app does not give me any time to swap it to the rear camera before it gives me the error message.

Please don't tell me it's a dud. CPW won't do anything about it other than send it for repair I don't think, as it is an upgrade, not a new connection. :(

The fact that it's an upgrade doesn't affect your statutory rights and you are entitled to a refund or replacement if it's failed as quickly as this seems to have done: have a look here for their returns policy for faulty goods

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Gutted.
This all came about because i left my phone on my desk at work and my colleague decided to pick it up whilst i was at the printer and take selfies of herself for me to find at a later date. :D
She does this to people often.

Anyway i came back and she said she thinks my camera isn't working. So when i tried it that's when i saw the fault. I hadn't used the selfie camera at all and likely wouldn't have done so it's a good job she did it in a way otherwise i could have got past my return period and been scuppered. :eek:

Reactions: jamezr and MRU

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I could have sworn I saw an emergency software update in my notifications. I went to software update in the settings and it says my device has latest software. Weird.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Not to what we have been seeing recently. Shows metal.

And that is just it. It's just rumors. And just because you now own an S8 doesn't make it the best phone period. Get over it.
lol.......rumors on a rumors site who would have thunk it! Oh I am not so misguided as to think my S8+ is the best phone in the world. I am still in the honeymoon phase of owning it :)
But I also have a 7+ and know it is not the best phone in the world as well. I also know that there are better phones than just iphones.......
I also don't feel the need to post negative things about a phone I will never get or have to make me feel better about my own choices....

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Gutted.
This all came about because i left my phone on my desk at work and my colleague decided to pick it up whilst i was at the printer and take selfies of herself for me to find at a later date. :D
She does this to people often.

Anyway i came back and she said she thinks my camera isn't working. So when i tried it that's when i saw the fault. I hadn't used the selfie camera at all and likely wouldn't have done so it's a good job she did it in a way otherwise i could have got past my return period and been scuppered. :eek:
Oh my, she has a face that breaks cameras, eh? ;) I'm sorry to hear of your phone troubles.

About the pink...did you just not really notice it before or did it simply just happen when it had previously been normal? I've had mildly off color displays before, but as long as they are evenly off-color I pay it no mind.

I do imagine everyone wishes I'd honor my promise to shut up about it, but this pink display issue on the S8 is one of the strangest things I've ever run across since my IPhone 6 Plus gave me all around peculiarities I was never able to define and solve.

When I say strange, I mean it's hard to define what's going on, describe what exactly it looks like, and completely impossible to photograph. It's just an all around pink iridescence, appearing as a frame in the Adaptive display mode with now a hint of blotching across the Adaptive display, and spread across the display in the other modes. I find it impossible to say it's worsened, gotten better, or what, because it is so inconsistent in when and how it manifests. It persists in all states, but it varies in how it will show up in apps and pages to distract me. My husband and I were texting to arrange his sister's birthday dinner and the entire conversation took place amongst pink sparkles. I know I'm not making any sense but it's really hard to describe.

It's actually quite pretty, but goodness, I want to enjoy the contents of my display, not the pretty show of the display itself.

Meanwhile my fingerprint reader works ridiculously well after barely working at all the first couple of days I've had the phone. Again, I'm mystified but grateful that is the case. I do think my S8+ is possessed by pixies...hence the pink sparkles! :D

I'm not too worried I'm just seeing things because there are a couple of discussions on Android Central where a handful of people report precisely what I'm experiencing, albeit with even more colorful expressions like $900 acid trip. :eek:

Well, back to the grind...I do wish you all the best in getting your phone exchanged.

KillaMac

Suspended
May 25, 2013
lol.......rumors on a rumors site who would have thunk it! Oh I am not so misguided as to think my S8+ is the best phone in the world. I am still in the honeymoon phase of owning it :)
But I also have a 7+ and know it is not the best phone in the world as well. I also know that there are better phones than just iphones.......
I also don't feel the need to post negative things about a phone I will never get or have to make me feel better about my own choices....

Your right, and I also own both. I've actually owned more android phones than iPhones.

Reactions: jamezr

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
PSA: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/04/24/best-galaxy-s8-accessory-magnetic-air-vent-car-mounts/

Best Galaxy S8 Accessory: Magnetic Air Vent Car Mounts

This is an AWESOME car accessory. I use it for my S6 and for my S7E when I had it last year and it worked tremendously well. It's a magnetic dock and it feels like magic; you throw it on and it just sticks. Pull it off and it comes right off. Fellow passengers are always impressed by it in action. ;)

Due to the magnetic sensors on the back of Galaxy devices (thanks to wireless charging), it sticks without any extra accessory.

Oh and they're affordable!

EDIT: I should mention I use my phone naked, so, yeah, if you have a case, YMMV. Or you'll have to use the magnetic strip (you can try to fit it on the interior back of your case so it doesn't show, like in the video).

Just be aware:
that once you place a piece of metal on the center of your case to use this car vent, your wireless charging and Android pay/Samsung pay will no longer function. The metal blocks these functions.

I've been using this : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TRQIXWA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for a while with my iP7+ (after having tried several) and I really like how it sticks further out from the vent.

Here's another one that works great : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01B6K2GDQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reactions: epicrayban

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Well had another play with my DeX and seems to handle most things quite well had several apps open and could easily switch and watch a video, only problem was sound was still from my S8 not TV, maybe via the headphone jack (edit not the jack hidden by DeX base) or even BT may be possible. I also found the USB sockets very very tight. But plug in a USB drive and your away with lots more content and file manager also access all your cloud drives neatly. Quite a neat little gadget but with limited appeal and more suited to travellers or away from home situations IMO

Screenshot_20170425-221326 (002).png

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I could have sworn I saw an emergency software update in my notifications. I went to software update in the settings and it says my device has latest software. Weird.

Same thing happened to me, lol! Nowhere to be found.

On another note, i just picked up a Gear S3 Classic. Holy moly that's one hot device!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
2 thumbs up for Samsung... I've always been skeptical of Android due to its internet browsing experience.

Apple has been a leader in the mobile space when it comes to a smooth internet browsing experience... I've always enjoyed using Safari on the iPhone compared to Chrome on any other Android phone.

But now, that lead has lessen... Samsung Internet Browser is up to par. With this gorgeous display, I've added some of my bookmarks to it's quick access option... And the highly appreciated ad blocking content extension, which is awesome!

Now, I understand why Google Chrome has decided to add a ad blocking system to their mobile app. I think Samsung is a legitimate threat. Well, I'm still running my Galaxy S8+ lap and so far so good. Just felt the urge to share my thoughts on what a well done job Samsung has accomplished.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I think so but I see no way to update. I do not have that issue on my t-mobile s8 anyway so I am not going to worry about it.

On another note, i just picked up a Gear S3 Classic. Holy moly that's one hot device!

I got that update and installed it. Didn't have an issue beforehand though.

Maybe if you clear the cache, the update would show up again.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
I have a SIM free unlocked S8 and a EE locked S8 (I originally ordered on EE but changed my mind but didn't cancel as I didn't expect to receive SIM free version until at least 28th).

Anyway I have been comparing software and the I've noticed the following:

EE baseband version ends in AQDD
SIM free ends in AQC9

Android security patch level on EE is 1st April
and on SIM free is 1st March.

My understanding was that Samsung normally release updates quicker than network providers but the EE one was updated last Thursday/Friday but I only got the SIM free update today.
[doublepost=1493155130][/doublepost]

I got Gear S3 frontier yesterday, love it

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I had another play with the S8 at Best Buy and I'm not overly worried about the fingerprint sensor. It's actually rather easy to reach on the S8 model. The real problem is learning how to discern whether it's the camera or the FPS. As someone else said in this thread, if you approach it from the correct side, it shouldn't be a problem. Besides, I look forward to using facial/IRIS as the primary option.

I also had a play of the Gear S3, both the fancier looking one and the sportier one, and they were both really impressive in design and in software. I'm still a regular classic watch kind of guy, but it's the first smartwatch I actually would consider.

Best Buy associates still didn't seem to know about the May 9th unlocked S8. Or maybe they can't say? Don't know.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
2 thumbs up for Samsung... I've always been skeptical of Android due to its internet browsing experience.

Apple has been a leader in the mobile space when it comes to a smooth internet browsing experience... I've always enjoyed using Safari on the iPhone compared to Chrome on any other Android phone.

But now, that lead has lessen... Samsung Internet Browser is up to par. With this gorgeous display, I've added some of my bookmarks to it's quick access option... And the highly appreciated ad blocking content extension, which is awesome!

Now, I understand why Google Chrome has decided to add a ad blocking system to their mobile app. I think Samsung is a legitimate threat. Well, I'm still running my Galaxy S8+ lap and so far so good. Just felt the urge to share my thoughts on what a well done job Samsung has accomplished.
It's really nice isn't it! What ad blocker did you install? I want to install one too but some of the ones I've used on iOS sometimes keep sites from loading properly.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Oh my, she has a face that breaks cameras, eh? ;) I'm sorry to hear of your phone troubles.

About the pink...did you just not really notice it before or did it simply just happen when it had previously been normal? I've had mildly off color displays before, but as long as they are evenly off-color I pay it no mind.

I do imagine everyone wishes I'd honor my promise to shut up about it, but this pink display issue on the S8 is one of the strangest things I've ever run across since my IPhone 6 Plus gave me all around peculiarities I was never able to define and solve.

When I say strange, I mean it's hard to define what's going on, describe what exactly it looks like, and completely impossible to photograph. It's just an all around pink iridescence, appearing as a frame in the Adaptive display mode with now a hint of blotching across the Adaptive display, and spread across the display in the other modes. I find it impossible to say it's worsened, gotten better, or what, because it is so inconsistent in when and how it manifests. It persists in all states, but it varies in how it will show up in apps and pages to distract me. My husband and I were texting to arrange his sister's birthday dinner and the entire conversation took place amongst pink sparkles. I know I'm not making any sense but it's really hard to describe.

It's actually quite pretty, but goodness, I want to enjoy the contents of my display, not the pretty show of the display itself.

Meanwhile my fingerprint reader works ridiculously well after barely working at all the first couple of days I've had the phone. Again, I'm mystified but grateful that is the case. I do think my S8+ is possessed by pixies...hence the pink sparkles! :D

I'm not too worried I'm just seeing things because there are a couple of discussions on Android Central where a handful of people report precisely what I'm experiencing, albeit with even more colorful expressions like $900 acid trip. :eek:

Well, back to the grind...I do wish you all the best in getting your phone exchanged.

Hey thanks! Well my camera is suddenly working again.
I had a tennis match this evening so my phone was in my bag for around 3 hours. Picked it up at the end and whilst we were eating in the pub after, i tried it and it worked. Very odd.

Regarding the pink tint. I'd never noticed it before. But i guess i never scrutinised it. I so have never had a proper edge on my phone outside of my brief Note 7 stint, so i guess it just looks like that's how it's meant to be. I honestly probably wouldn't have even paid any mind to it had i not seen the posts on here!! :p

Now I'm not sure what to do about this camera! I'll see if i can exchange it still just to be on the safe side.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I have a SIM free unlocked S8 and a EE locked S8 (I originally ordered on EE but changed my mind but didn't cancel as I didn't expect to receive SIM free version until at least 28th).

Anyway I have been comparing software and the I've noticed the following:

EE baseband version ends in AQDD
SIM free ends in AQC9

Android security patch level on EE is 1st April
and on SIM free is 1st March.

My understanding was that Samsung normally release updates quicker than network providers but the EE one was updated last Thursday/Friday but I only got the SIM free update today.

Sadly that is a misconception. I have had unlocked XEU and BTU models for many years and with nearly every single new update roll out I have seen various carrier versions get the latest update sooner than the unbranded the samsung UK/Ireland variant.

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This was interesting......
I cast this video from my computer to my 65 inch TV.....you can really see the differences on a bigger screen.

I consistently picked the S8 and Pixel to be honest. But thought the OnePlus 3 and G6 pics were pretty bad....

Top 5 Smartphone Cameras: The Blind Test!

Last edited:

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Anyone have a recommendation for file access on the Mac? All of my other Android devices work with Android File Transfer when connected via USB. The S8, S6 and my departed Tab A aren't compatible with it.

Reactions: Veerendra
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.