Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
First, let me say I appreciate the responses, suggestions, feedback, etc--genuinely.

That being said, why does it continually feel like when someone offers a particular scenario, use case, or preference that is counter to what's being discussed...i.e. FPS sensor placement, that that position is discounted as irrelevant or that they need to be talked out of their preferences?

Let's face it, just about everything involved in our decisions to purchase a particular device comes down to personal preferences and use case. We all value different aspects of our personal tech--device and display sizes, audio specs, cameras, button placement, the mobile OS it runs, etc. In this specific instance, I prefer a front facing FPS for the reasons I've outlined yet it continually feels like I'm just being told my preference is just wrong and there are other solutions I should use. The FPS is not just an unlocking mechanism--more important to me is its use as an authentication tool (I use it to unlock my password manager and any number of other applications dozens of times a day and to authorize tap-to-pay) and a not insignificant portion of that usage is with the phone laying flat or docked where a rear facing FPS is obscured. None of these other solutions mentioned solve this problem on the S8 or any other device with a rear facing sensor, and especially on a phone with a terribly positioned sensor.

You also have the option of smart lock based on location, attached bluetooth devices or voice, which should pretty much cover every eventuality.

As a smart watch wearer are you not covered by trusted devices for example (with the right watch) in addition to trusted places etc

Seems there are some options still left for you that actually make it easier
My last paragraph hopefully explains why this doesn't completely solve the problem.

Yeah but to be honest that one very narrow use case doesn't fit what was outlined as well. Then as in every change there is a learning and adjustment stage. I use the front facing FPS on my 7+ just as you described. But then on my Pixel XL and S8+ I can just pick up the phone......its not complicated or hard or difficult. I don't even notice it to be honest. The FPS on the S8 works really well. Don't really like the placement next to the camera to be honest. Much prefer it to be round and lower under the camera.
I have used so many phones that FPS on the front or back is not something that would prevent me from enjoying or using a phone. It certainly would not make me hesitate about getting a phone just based on FPS placement.
Then as the original post this started from.....there are more options to unlocking the S8 than just the FPS.

Oh and most of the time when I do use the front FPS on my 7+ while it is lying flat on my desk....i end up picking it up anyway to respond to the notification that prompted me to unlock it in the first place.

And this outlines all of your particular use cases. Of course it's not difficult to use a rear facing FPS, but I find it inconvenient and annoying, enough that it does prevent me from using or enjoying a phone. I'm sure there are plenty of elements of a phone that you may find unsatisfactory and may ultimately lead you to determine a phone isn't a good fit. IIRC, you tried a LG G6 but ultimately returned it. Something didn't meet your needs/preferences. What would you think if I told you I don't think whatever those annoyances were are really annoyances at all?

I get that all of you are loving your experience with the S8 and that's terrific. Like I mentioned somewhere on these forums, I'm quite jealous of you all having a new tech toy to play with. But why is it so hard to believe that there are actually plenty of aspects that make the S8 a poor choice for some? A pretty design with next-to-no bezels aren't the most important aspects for everyone. ;)

Last edited:

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I disagree with that article completely. You give up too much to gain so little with the 7+.

As someone who normally leans towards Apple and occasionally switches to Android, I will say I agree with you. This has been one of the easiest transitions to make. Sure, the iPhone 7+ is a fantastic smartphone, but imo doesn't touch what we're getting with the S8.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
http://bgr.co/ukC6KKB bgr review of the s8. I agree 100 as this is how I feel.

I'll actually bite :D

Here are five key areas where the iPhone 7 Plus still has the edge:

1. Software is important, and iOS is still better and smoother than Android. Even with Samsung’s new and improved Samsung Experience, the iPhone still has a clear advantage. Samsung Connect is also a nice start, but Apple’s Continuity features are miles ahead of Samsung in terms of carrying the user experience across devices and platforms. Some might argue that software is the most important thing on a smartphone, and Apple has a huge edge here.
  2. Apps are important, and iOS apps are still better and smoother than Android apps. Perhaps it’s Google’s loose third-party developer guidelines, or perhaps the company’s developer tools aren’t on par with Apple’s. Whatever the case, the Android app experience remains terribly inconsistent, and iOS versions of apps are always more refined and simpler, even when the same app is available on both platforms.
  3. Performance is important, and the iPhone 7 Plus still outperforms the Galaxy S8+. Take one look at this real-world performance test and you’ll see that Android still can’t keep up with iOS, even when it’s being propelled by next-generation processors like the Snapdragon 835.
  4. Battery life is important, and there’s still nothing else out there that can touch the iPhone 7 Plus. I wasn’t able to get a good feel for the Galaxy S8+’s battery life for my review since Samsung sent my review unit late, but I’ve now spent more time with the phone. It’ll carry most people through a full day, but Apple’s phablet outlasts the S8+ by a healthy margin.
  5. Customer care is important, and there isn’t a consumer electronics company in the world that can even approach Apple in this key area. The company continues to invest heavily in after-sales service, and that investment will always pay off big time. Samsung has gotten better and its on-device customer service feature is a nice addition, but it’s still nothing like dealing with Apple support.

1. It would be nice if the author gave some actually comparisons. Saying iOS is smoother than Android, I know a few Pixel owners that would highly disagree. And because of the animations on both the iP7+ and S8+ the OS smoothest is just about equal. I don't see a clear winner.

And he mentions Continuity as a factor, but that has noting to do iOS itself. That would be equivalent to saying, Samsung phones are better cause you can mirror and cast to damn near any SmartTV without installing an extra app.

Continuity is also dependent on other Apple devices. Most iPhone users don't have a Mac or iPad.

2. Again, no actually details. Yes, you might have an occasional app like Snapchat or Pokemon GO that might struggle somewhat on many Android devices. But that's actually a fault of the developers rather than Android itself.

In my experience, Marvel COC, and NFS Most Wanted has kicked me off to the home screen and stuttered on the iP7+ quite a good number of times, while I never had those issues on any of my Android devices. Does that make the iP7+ inferior? Of course not, and vice versa applies as well.

Overall, 95% of the time .... I get the same app experience on both platforms.

And yes, Apple does have a slight advantage at getting newer apps first and newer features to apps first. But again, that's on the developers.

3. The fact that he called the linked video a "real world performance test" says it all.

Besides my iP7+ loading most games a second or two quicker, I don't see any noticeable speed difference between the two.

Yet everyone who seems to defend the iPhone like it's their personal birth child, fails to acknowledge the speed and reliability of iPhone's network/signal that have took a backseat to flagship Android phones for years now. For those so concerned with speed, you would think that would be a more widely discussed issue when doing comparisons. This is something that means plenty to me, as I use my phone to pull and upload to/from cloud services, and also my personal server.

4. Yes, stand-by battery life is still the best on the iPhone. But my most recent phones like the S7 Edge, V20, Note 7(RIP) and the S8+ come so close, that it's a non-issue. And all of those phones had an AOD enabled.

But when it comes to on screen time, that's a differ story. On the S7 Edge and Note 7(RIP). I got more on screen time than my iP7+. And that's at max brightness or auto brightness. I keep throwing my S8+ on my wireless stand, so I didn't get to really test on screen battery for the entire day yet. But from what I've noticed so far, I also think it will out last the iP7+ with on screen life.

5. No argument there. At least for myself, cause there's plenty of Apple stores for me to go to in NY. And they have always been extra helpful and nice. But I've heard others that don't have close access to an Apple store sing a different tune.

venom600

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I was at Best Buy just now and I got to see and play with the S8 for the first time. It was some seriously next level tech that made my iPhone 7+ feel the same way I felt about my Palm Treo the day I got the first iPhone, or about cars when I sat in a Tesla Model S... sure there have been cars and ultimately they all get you from point A to B... but this one feels like the future. The screen, the weight, the design, all on point. I'd be willing to deal with the crappy finger sensor just to get that beautiful screen and headphone jack. Apple had better bring their absolute A game this fall because for the first time in phones that I can recall their hardware isn't as good as the software.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I did not know you could gesture from the bottom to make the screen smaller for one handed use. Videos of it look really fluid and seamless.

I'm so happy that I'm not compromising anything for one handed use. That is an incredible advantage Samsung and Android have.

4O91vMKl.png

Last edited:

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
It's like I know I'm use to my iPhone and u know it does everyday tasks better but it's something about this S8 that I cannot put it down.

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Yessir there is a chrome extension for the Samsung browser.

f54b3ee40bdd11cb1fecfbd109e96ded.jpg
Thanks for this...just added this extension to chrome on the chromebook plus..... no one can complain about syncing bookmarks between chrome and the samsung browser now.

Reactions: jamezr

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
As someone who normally leans towards Apple and occasionally switches to Android, I will say I agree with you. This has been one of the easiest transitions to make. Sure, the iPhone 7+ is a fantastic smartphone, but imo doesn't touch what we're getting with the S8.

Same here. I do miss some aspects of the 7+ like the dual stereo speakers, faster app updates (looking at you Snapchat and Google), and iMessage. Apple really needs to step it up with the 2017 phone because we are on the 6SSS if they don't. I mean a lot of people will have the prerogative or agenda to purchase the 2017 6SSS if it comes out, but that won't be me. I am all in on the S8 and anticipating a JoD switch to the Note 8. My iPhone SE is just as good as a 6S without all the costs associated with it. I use both iOS and Android, but heavily appreciate Android more now that I returned back in 2017 as my daily driver starting with my Nougat version on the S7 and now the S8. Battery life isn't the best, but I guess I can go by with quick charge and having power banks.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
First, let me say I appreciate the responses, suggestions, feedback, etc--genuinely.

That being said, why does it continually feel like when someone offers a particular scenario, use case, or preference that is counter to what's being discussed...i.e. FPS sensor placement, that that position is discounted as irrelevant or that they need to be talked out of their preferences?

Let's face it, just about everything involved in our decisions to purchase a particular device comes down to personal preferences and use case. We all value different aspects of our personal tech--device and display sizes, audio specs, cameras, button placement, the mobile OS it runs, etc. In this specific instance, I prefer a front facing FPS for the reasons I've outlined yet it continually feels like I'm just being told my preference is just wrong and there are other solutions I should use. The FPS is not just an unlocking mechanism--more important to me is its use as an authentication tool (I use it to unlock my password manager and any number of other applications dozens of times a day and to authorize tap-to-pay) and a not insignificant portion of that usage is with the phone laying flat or docked where a rear facing FPS is obscured. None of these other solutions mentioned solve this problem on the S8 or any other device with a rear facing sensor, and especially on a phone with a terribly positioned sensor.

My last paragraph hopefully explains why this doesn't completely solve the problem.

And this outlines all of your particular use cases. Of course it's not difficult to use a rear facing FPS, but I find it inconvenient and annoying, enough that it does prevent me from using or enjoying a phone. I'm sure there are plenty of elements of a phone that you may find unsatisfactory and may ultimately lead you to determine a phone isn't a good fit. IIRC, you tried a LG G6 but ultimately returned it. Something didn't meet your needs/preferences. What would you think if I told you I don't think whatever those annoyances were are really annoyances at all?

I get that all of you are loving your experience with the S8 and that's terrific. Like I mentioned somewhere on these forums, I'm quite jealous of you all having a new tech toy to play with. But why is it so hard to believe that there are actually plenty of aspects that make the S8 a poor choice for some? A pretty design with next-to-no bezels aren't the most important aspects for everyone. ;)
Then don't get one. Pretty simple.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Had to sort out my dads gear watch to reconnect with his new S8 plus and I had my FP on it from setting it up it really isn’t as bad to do with a wallet or case on. If you have it naked it is far more annoying I’ve found as with a case on your finger is pretty much directed into the corner.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Question to the S8 owners. Can you respond to notifications from the lock screen? text, whats app, hangouts ect? Thanks
I have mine locked down pretty tight but under lock screen and security settings there is a category called Information and Face Widgets that says "Select what to show on the Lock screen and Always on Display"

And then App Shortcuts: Select apps to open from the lock screen.

When I click on that all I get is the option for a Left shortcut for my phone and a right one for my camera.

So it looks like you could...but I don't see the options to set these things up on my own phone. It's not something I want enabled so I haven't really tried.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Android file transfer worked on my Mac today. Did you change the USB mode from charging to file transfer?

EDIT: did you install Smart Switch on your mac? I do remember it saying that AFT wouldn't work after installed. Now that I have installed Smart Switch (to back up my S8), AFT doesn't work.
That was the problem! I didn't even know I had Smart Switch installed. AFT is working perfectly with the on-board storage and the SD card. Thanks.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I am faced with a major life decision today. My local carrier just got my reservation for the Galaxy S8+ in today. Do I return my regular S8 for the +? I'm happy with my S8 and really don't have a compelling reason to switch other than liking big screens and maybe better battery?

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
So I'm sad to say that my battery life has gone downhill the last 2 days. Not sure why as I've installed 0 new apps and my usage has remained consistent. I got nearly 6 hours SoT Monday and averaging 3 Tuesday and Wednesday. Nothing in the battery monitor is showing heavier than normal usage. Seems I have to do this sort of troubleshooting every year with my shiny new Samsung device.

Reactions: nj1266

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
So I'm sad to say that my battery life has gone downhill the last 2 days. Not sure why as I've installed 0 new apps and my usage has remained consistent. I got nearly 6 hours SoT Monday and averaging 3 Tuesday and Wednesday. Nothing in the battery monitor is showing heavier than normal usage. Seems I have to do this sort of troubleshooting every year with my shiny new Samsung device.

S8 or S8+?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Could it simply be that cellular signal was weaker and therefore device worked harder last couple of days to throw more power to the modem/radio to keep the same connection to your carriers network. The carrier cellular signal strength can vary on a day to day basis. The bars on the phone are not true inidcators of real signal strength. So it's possibly nothing you have done and nothing you can adjust on the phone either ....

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
S8 or S8+?

S8+. I'm holding out hope it was a fluke. I'll see how it does today. I've been at work all week so I'm not in a different location with a different signal strength or anything.

Could it simply be that cellular signal was weaker and therefore device worked harder last couple of days. The carrier cellular signal strength can vary on a day to day basis. So it's possibly nothing you have done and nothing you can adjust on the phone either ....

I suppose but a 50% hit when I have my rear end firmly planted in the exact same seat as it always has been for the past 5+ years? Monday and Tuesday I ended the day with 45-50% battery left. Yesterday I was under 20%.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
S8+. I'm holding out hope it was a fluke. I'll see how it does today. I've been at work all week so I'm not in a different location with a different signal strength or anything.

yeah, hope it gets better. I couldn't get good battery life with my regular S8. 3.5 hours of SOT was a good day for it

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I suppose but a 50% hit when I have my rear end firmly planted in the exact same seat as it always has been for the past 5+ years? Monday and Tuesday I ended the day with 45-50% battery left. Yesterday I was under 20%.
Like I say many factors can impede signal strength including merely the atmospheric pressure. What is the top items in your battery usage / stat screen.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
quick update: Looks like I'll be returning my S8 (ordered from Samsung.com) as the speaker phone doesn't work properly. I sound garbled on the other end on all my calls I take over speaker. The problem persists after a factory reset. And it also has the pink hue issue on the edges and off center viewing

But, in the mean time, I grabbed a S8+ from Best Buy last night to try the larger size and to see if I could get a phone that didn't have the edge pink hue issue, and unfortunately, the pink hue is still on the edges on this phone... AND, now the pink edges are on the top and bottom of the phone. So, I have a nice pink hue'd halo around the entire screen. the middle is perfect white until I tilt off center, then the whole screen becomes a uniform pink hue. I'm really not sure what to do. It seems like this is quasi-normal for this phone but it's so distracting when browsing the web, etc. with anything that has a white background. I've seen perfect white phones as display models (no pink hue anywhere) and I've seen display units exhibit what I see on now both of my S8's. I guess I'll wait to see if a software update comes out soon to "fix" it.. but I doubt that can do anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.