Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Did you switch from the regular to the plus?

yeah, I got the S8+ to see if I like the size. I'm coming from a 7+. Man, I don't know which I like better. I have both in front of me and the S8 feels so great in hand, so easy to do anything one handed, etc. But for me, I can't type worth a crap on the S8 because I think it's too narrow. For the S8+, I feel more at home like I do with the 7+. I can type MUCH better and watching YouTube videos is a treat. FP sensor is harder to find/use on the S8+. I have no issues finding it on the S8 but on the S8+ I still stab around with my finger trying to find it. It'll take some getting used to. Even though I love the size (and screen to body ratio) of the S8+, there's something about the ergonomics and feel of the S8 I love. It's pretty damn hard to decide (at the moment) and I only got the S8+ last night and I've had my S8 since last Thursday. I'll have to give the S8+ more time.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
yeah, I got the S8+ to see if I like the size. I'm coming from a 7+. Man, I don't know which I like better. I have both in front of me and the S8 feels so great in hand, so easy to do anything one handed, etc. But for me, I can't type worth a crap on the S8 because I think it's too narrow. For the S8+, I feel more at home like I do with the 7+. I can type MUCH better and watching YouTube videos is a treat. FP sensor is harder to find/use on the S8+. I have no issues finding it on the S8 but on the S8+ I still stab around with my finger trying to find it. It'll take some getting used to. Even though I love the size (and screen to body ratio) of the S8+, there's something about the ergonomics and feel of the S8 I love. It's pretty damn hard to decide (at the moment) and I only got the S8+ last night and I've had my S8 since last Thursday. I'll have to give the S8+ more time.

Thanks! Yeah it's such a hard choice. I should probably stay put since I have no issues with my S8 but I do like larger screens and battery (but not sure if the battery is truly better on the +). And I'm 6 days within my 14 day return window so I'll have to act soon.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Like I say many factors can impede signal strength including merely the atmospheric pressure. What is the top items in your battery usage / stat screen.

It's not any weird android processes or anything like I've seen in previous years when I had battery troubles. It's just screen time and the apps I use (twitter, reddit, instagram) and the samsung browser.

Reactions: MRU

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
yeah, I got the S8+ to see if I like the size. I'm coming from a 7+. Man, I don't know which I like better.

I'm having a tough time as well.

I have both right now and the hardware/design on Galaxy S8+ is... Well, you know. But the 7+ is nothing to complain about. I have the Jet Black model... And I like the look and feel.

In the end it comes down to software, and I enjoy all the imagination that comes with Galaxy S8+ as in all the things you can do. It makes iOS seem boring... From how Galaxy S8+ can perform multitasking and the swipe-in-edge to how it handles notifications.

But having the iPhone goes so well with my Mac and iPad, from continuity and iMessage to the polished apps. I honestly don't think there is a "better." It's just whatever a person gravitate towards.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It's not any weird android processes or anything like I've seen in previous years when I had battery troubles. It's just screen time and the apps I use (twitter, reddit, instagram) and the samsung browser.
Yeah strange one. It's literally needle in a haystack.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
In Korea, Samsung just pushed an update for the pinkish screens.
According to XDA, some good results after the update for a few forummebers

I wonder how long it'll take Verizon to push it? A few months? ... Hopefully soon....

EDIT: It looks like the update has a separate edge color calibration setting. This update looks promising as I'm only having the issue on the edges (and with the S8+, the top and bottom edge).

XDA LINK

EDIT 2: AndroidPolice Article now

Last edited:
Reactions: Geert76

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Just run in to a minor bug of sorts with people edge built in app

The new one allows 10 contacts which I promptly filled, but today thought I would reorganise them after deleting 2 then trying to re assign, it wont let me, so I deleted 1 more, down to 7 now.

It shows 3 vacant "+" slots but when I go to select even the suggest or contacts (which is faded out) I get an error message saying only 10 are possible despite vacant slots

Done reset, switch people edge on and off etc tried to clear cache but its a built in app etc

Edit (Resolved it and deleted all contacts in the edge and re-assigned them)

Phew, it was bugging me as I have a minimalist home screen and use the edge panel exclusively

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Does Samsung Pass work with the iris scanner? If so, how does it work?

Yes, it does. When you are ready to use Samsung Pay, putting your finger on the FP sensor automatically enables it. But there are also two buttons on the bottom you can quickly press to use Pin or Iris scan.

20170427_134152.png

Reactions: that be me

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I am faced with a major life decision today. My local carrier just got my reservation for the Galaxy S8+ in today. Do I return my regular S8 for the +? I'm happy with my S8 and really don't have a compelling reason to switch other than liking big screens and maybe better battery?

Lol, Well this is not going to help but ...

I could not decide between the large or smaller one. Screen size, battery life and for that matter the color come into play as well. Buyers remorse will set in after 14 days I fear. I have eliminated the silver color so I was down to four options.

A few hours ago I now have a large in gray and a small in black. :)

These smartphones are so compelling and captivating as far as I am concerned. I would take each one of these Samsung current offerings any day and proved it by slapping my money down for them.

Reactions: Geert76 and jamezr

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Finally saw the arctic silver. Fine color.

But ultimately it'll be between the black and Orchid gray for me. Can't go wrong with either.

No, you cannot go wrong with either. Or both. :)

Never have I done that before with any smartphone I have owned. Good job, Samsung. Almost impossible for me now to get buyer's remorse. :)

Reactions: MRU and epicrayban

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
In the end it comes down to software, and I enjoy all the imagination that comes with Galaxy S8+ as in all the things you can do. It makes iOS seem boring...

It's not that it makes iOS seem boring, it's that it makes you realize how much less functional iOS is. With Samsung, it's easier to make calls, text with one hand, navigate around the OS, share stuff, customize both aesthetics and functions, deal with notifications, change settings, take photos, etc. Any advantage that iOS still has over the Samsung software experience is minor and growing ever smaller. This is coming from someone that uses Android and iOS side by side on a daily basis.

To a lesser extent, this is true even when comparing Samsung software to stock Android software. Samsung has figured out a few things better than stock Android -- on-screen buttons, sound profiles (I still cannot believe this toggle doesn't exist on the Pixel), theming, gestures, advance screen capture, and all those other little unique and useful features that I hope one day make their way to stock Android (a proper battery percentage, anyone?). TouchWiz has been inspiring stock Android for some time now, and I predict will continue to.

[doublepost=1493320990][/doublepost]
No, you cannot go wrong with either. Or both. :)

Never have I done that before with any smartphone I have owned. Good job, Samsung. Almost impossible for me now to get buyer's remorse. :)

Ultimately, I think the black one will edge out the Orchid Gray by a tiny bit. And you want to know why? Only because it looks AMAZING when the screen is off. Just a sleek, black slab of advance technology.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
It's not that it makes iOS seem boring, it's that it makes you realize how much less functional iOS is. With Samsung, it's easier to make calls, text with one hand, navigate around the OS, share stuff, customize both aesthetics and functions, deal with notifications, change settings, take photos, etc. Any advantage that iOS still has over the Samsung software experience is minor and growing ever smaller. This is coming from someone that uses Android and iOS side by side on a daily basis.

To a lesser extent, this is true even when comparing Samsung software to stock Android software. Samsung has figured out a few things better than stock Android -- on-screen buttons, sound profiles (I still cannot believe this toggle doesn't exist on the Pixel), theming, gestures, advance screen capture, and all those other little unique and useful features that I hope one day make their way to stock Android (a proper battery percentage, anyone?). TouchWiz has been inspiring stock Android for some time now, and I predict will continue to.

[doublepost=1493320990][/doublepost]

Ultimately, I think the black one will edge out the Orchid Gray by a tiny bit. And you want to know why? Only because it looks AMAZING when the screen is off. Just a sleek, black slab of advance technology.

Every time I try out an Android phone I get rather overwhelmed to be honest. I guess im used to how IOS works.

EDIT: I think 5 years ago I would be all in but now I just want simple.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
So, got some *urgent update* from Samsung 2 days ago and battery life on my S8+ (TMobile) went from 7+hrs SOT to 6 - 6.5hrs in the past two days, absolutely no change in usage or installed any new apps. Same everything!

Did a cache wipe from recovery last night prior to plugging it in, and so far it looks better (unplugged at 8 am and still at 92% at 1:30 pm with same usage pattern as before where it dropped to mid 80s percentage wise)

My settings:

Screen set to WQHD+
BT - On ( connected to my Gear S3 all day )
NFC - ON
WiFi - ON
Screen Brightness - Auto
AOD - Off
Bixby - Disabled thru Package Disabler. Button remapped to launch Google Music ( BxActions )
Lookout AntiVirus - Disabled thru Package Disabler
Location - ON (high accuracy)
Smart Stay - On (other Smart features - off )
Blue Light Filter - Sunset to Sunrise

Typical Usage :

Email (Outlook - 4 accounts ) - On (always)
WhatsApp - Always running
Facebook
Google Music - Streamed to car audio ( about 40 mins each way from/to work ). Gym ( 1 - 1.5 hrs everyday, stream via BT to my Jaybird X3s )
YouTube - About an hr or so daily.
Phone usage - minimal. About 20 mins average.
Internet - Using Chrome. Browsing usage about an hr daily.
Screen unlock - Iris / Smart Lock (most usage) / Pin (least usage)

I think I covered most of it..

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Every time I try out an Android phone I get rather overwhelmed to be honest. I guess im used to how IOS works.

Not trying to change your mind or anything, but modern day TouchWiz and stock Android are both simple and easy to use out of the box, too. And the beauty of customization and extra functions is that they are optional.

I would go as far to say that some of the most basic things are actually easier to accomplish on the Android side. Downloading and auto-updating apps, updating software (Pixel's seamless background updating feels like magic), quick launching the camera, one-handed typing and typing in general, back navigation (something I'm a real vocal critic about on iOS -- there is no consistent back navigation. Sometimes it's upper left, upper right, lower left/right, or a cancel button in the middle of the screen, etc.), sharing to third party apps, and a few other examples.

I say all this as a daily Android and iOS user. Things feel more natural and seamless on the Android-side, to me. Auto-update truly automatically updates apps (on iOS, you have to be plugged in first. And I swear, it still doesn't auto-update apps when I'm plugged in!).

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Not trying to change your mind or anything, but modern day TouchWiz and stock Android are both simple and easy to use out of the box, too. And the beauty of customization and extra functions is that they are optional.

I would go as far to say that some of the most basic things are actually easier to accomplish on the Android side. Downloading and auto-updating apps, updating software (Pixel's seamless background updating feels like magic), one-handed typing and typing in general, back navigation (something I'm a real vocal critic about on iOS -- there is no consistent back navigation. Sometimes it's upper left, upper right, lower left/right, or a cancel button in the middle of the screen, etc.), sharing to third party apps, and a few other examples.

I say all this as a daily Android and iOS user. Things feel more natural and seamless on the Android-side. Auto-update truly automatically updates apps (on iOS, you have to be plugged in first. And I swear, it still doesn't auto-update apps when I'm plugged in!).
Im sure if I really dig into it I will find it very nice. At this point I just dont have the desire to and I like what IOS offers. Im pretty much stuck in the ecosystem since family/friends have IOS.

My last android phone was a Droid X....:eek:. its been a while and I actually rooted it and bricked it once haha.:D

Reactions: epicrayban

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

It can get a bit jarring at first ( I remember when I switched to mac OS after being on Windows for ..eternity and it took me a good month to get acclimatized ) but give it sometime and it your mind will adjust.

The way I did it was, to fully commit to Android for 2 weeks. Powered down my iPhone and just did not use it for those 2 weeks, no matter how frustrating it got (HTC Evo on Sprint).. Kept at it, with all it's annoyances, and around the 2 week mark..I actually started liking it.

That's just my experience and theory. I enjoy both iOS and Android, but am finding Android more and more useful for my needs, especially with each iteration. And, honestly, I kinda like TW over vanilla.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
I enjoy both iOS and Android, but am finding Android more and more useful for my needs, especially with each iteration. And, honestly, I kinda like TW over vanilla.

My sentiments as well.

Android tries it's best to cater to you, the user. Customization goes a very long way especially when a smartphone is something people use on a daily basis, multiple times a day. It's far beyond just about aesthetics; customization is as much about functionality.

And TouchWiz takes this a step even further, which is also why I prefer it over stock Android.

If Samsung can just get the software updates and monthly security patches in order, they'll be set. Personally, it's not a deal breaker, but I know it's one of the last remaining obstacles keeping some people away. For me though, TouchWiz is already so stable and feature-rich that I can wait for software updates (I would suggest that Samsung do its best to commit to a reasonable timeframe though), especially these days where any first round updates can cause a number of bugs/issues. And as for security patches, as long as you download only from the Play store, you're safe anyway.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
My sentiments as well.

Android tries it's best to cater to you, the user. Customization goes a very long way especially when a smartphone is something people use on a daily basis, multiple times a day. It's far beyond just about aesthetics; customization is as much about functionality.

And TouchWiz takes this a step even further, which is also why I prefer it over stock Android.

If Samsung can just get the software updates and monthly security patches in order, they'll be set. Personally, it's not a deal breaker, but I know it's one of the last remaining obstacles keeping some people away. For me though, TouchWiz is already so stable and feature-rich that I can wait for software updates (I would suggest that Samsung do its best to commit to a reasonable timeframe though), especially these days where any first round updates can cause a number of bugs/issues. And as for security patches, as long as you download only from the Play store, you're safe anyway.
I agree customization is helpful. I dont understand for the life of me why I STILL cant set my own default apps on IOS...
You let us (kind of) delete stock apps but When I click mail it tells me to re download it..

I use spark mail because its ten folds better than the crap mail apple has..

Reactions: epicrayban

that be me

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2013
Yes it does. It just uses the same red light sensor to indicate the Iris Scanner is on and you can go ahead and use it.

Neat. I was hoping this would be the case. Wasn't sure if I would like using the device much if I had to reach for the fingerprint scanner while lying in bed.

Slightly related question, but if you trigger this option while the phone is in landscape, is the interface in landscape as well?
Yes, it does. When you are ready to use Samsung Pay, putting your finger on the FP sensor automatically enables it. But there are also two buttons on the bottom you can quickly press to use Pin or Iris scan.

View attachment 697676
Shame my country doesn't exactly have Samsung Pay yet (one bank has it, but it's only available with a single, very specific card) but it's nice to look ahead.

Still can't convince myself to upgrade from my s7 Edge. Since my country is kind of dumb like that, I'd be going from an exynos to snapdragon chipset. Not sure how that'd play into performance gains or battery life, my two main factors in getting a new device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.