Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
That's the one thing that's just about a deal breaker for me and that's the group messaging. It's such a disaster like you said and I'm apart of too many group messages.

in my part of the world the majority uses whatsapp/wechat. Many phones come with it as default/system apps. I think they do group messaging as good (or better) than imessage which nobody uses here. Only in the US where there is still a high proportion of iphone users plus you seldom have friends outside of the iphone sphere, then imessage is useful. Otherwise it is crippled since Android users can't communicate with you. It is far better to stick with non-closed system like whatsapp (which gives you better coverage)

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

Wonder if what he's saying is true about locking to a carrier? Gotta imagine the unlocked ones coming will stay unlocked?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
in my part of the world everyone uses whatsapp/wechat.

Can we stop posting this folks as it's patently untrue.

What you mean is "the majority of the people 'you know' utilise WhatsApp".

Which is significantly different to everyone in my part of the world.

WhatsApp user base is vastly smaller than anything approaching "everyone" regardless of territory and SMS (not iMessage, Messenger, Viber, WhatsApp) still remains the biggest messaging solution worldwide based simply on the number of actual user messages sent.

So can we please either rephrase or refrain from using untrue/exaggerated blanket statements.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012

WhatsApp user base is vastly smaller than anything approaching "everyone" regardless of territory and SMS (not iMessage, Messenger, Viber, WhatsApp) still remains the biggest messaging solution worldwide based simply on the number of actual user messages sent.

So can we please either rephrase or refrain from using untrue/exaggerated blanket statements.

You must be an accountant :) finding that 1 cent to balance the book. Ok corrected my post.

And it is not "majority of people I know" but majority of phone users (incl. iphone users) :p

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You must be an accountant :) finding that 1 cent to balance the book. Ok corrected my post.

And it is not "majority of people I know" but majority of phone users (incl. iphone users) :p
Just tired of reading untrue blankets statements on this fora used mostly when folks are dismissing another users opinion or experience.

It often feels like I am reading extracts from a 'Sean Splicer's press briefing when the misstruths (the miss-used alternative 'facts') begin being flung around ....

;)

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009

You are not correct when you say regardless of territory.

Here's a world chart from 2016, The green Represents Whatsapp.

These links are from 2015. So expect the numbers to be higher.

Whatsapp over takes Text Messaging

How Whatsapp is killing SMS
[doublepost=1493360145][/doublepost]

But I use a Mac and think the S8+ is great. :p

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You are not correct when you say regardless of territory.

Here's a world chart from 2016, The green Represents Whatsapp.

These links are from 2015. So expect the numbers to be higher.

Whatsapp over takes Text Messaging

How Whatsapp is killing SMS
Nope wrong. Your main link fails to take into account SMS messaging and only looks at the alternative messaging platforms.

Whilst your other two links do say WhatsApp sends more messages per day than SMS which, I am sure there are more than 700 million users utilising SMS and that WhatsApp uses are simply sending 'more' messages per user.

Either way still my point remains that NOT EVERYONE is utilising WhatsApp.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
It's a shame is doesn't take iMessage into account for a bigger picture...

It can't be higher globally than Whatsapp, being that iMessage is just for the iPhone and Apple devices. But I would like to see those numbers in the US.
[doublepost=1493360902][/doublepost]
Even taking them into account, it still means around 18-20 billion SMS messages are sent each day. That alone is proof that not 'Everyone Is Using WhatsApp' which was the ascersion.

Yes, but you basically said it's nowhere close to approaching SMS in any region. Which is untrue, and surpassing SMS in many regions.

SMS is dying, me myself only get texts from my finance accounts. Socially, I stoped using SMS. Many others do the same.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
It can't be higher globally than Whatsapp, being that iMessage is just for the iPhone and Apple devices. But I would like to see those numbers in the US.
[doublepost=1493360902][/doublepost]

Yes, but you basically said it's nowhere close to approaching SMS in any region. Which is untrue, and surpassing SMS in many regions.
I meant by actual users of a platform, not the number of messages sent, but admit I phrased myself incorrectly.

There are 4.2 billion people who use text messaging globabbly. If WhatsApp has 700-800 million users, (and many of those still use SMS alongside WhatsApp) it still means there are 3.4 billion others not using it.

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Yeah even I use whatsapp occasionally, I'm not a good indication of app usage though..
It's great for keeping in touch with people overseas and sharing photo's.
Messenger is too pervasive for my liking and I suspect it likes eating battery life, I don't trust Facebook either, I only use it though a browser, it keeps hassling me to install messenger lol.

I'm happy with my sms app on my phone but I must say, I have a M3s and the messaging app on that is ****ing terrible.
I ended up using Googles sms app.

I suspect MRU is correct, I'm okay being corrected but most people I know use thier default sms app. I know, I know..anecdotal usage blah blah :D

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I suspect MRU is correct, I'm okay being corrected but most people I know use thier default sms app. I know, I know..anecdotal usage blah blah :D

I'm totally open to being corrected and I am not infallible either.

Just as my post the other day on 'what is a fact' pointed out, things are in a constant state of flux and what we know or think is a fact today can change tomorrow on new evidence / patterns of behaviour...

Last edited:
Reactions: Klyster

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Back on S8 topic ...

Did anyone on the forum here get the Coral Blue version of the S8 ?

Where did they launch it ? I have only found the three colours for sale on various sites (silver, orchid, black) ...

Wasn't there a gold model too ?

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I meant by actual users of a platform, not the number of messages sent, but admit I phrased myself incorrectly.

There are 4.2 billion people who use text messaging globabbly. If WhatsApp has 700-800 million users, (and many of those still use SMS alongside WhatsApp) it still means there are 3.4 billion others not using it.

I see your point. But that's more of a default by connection.

The data of how they are using SMS is near impossible to tell. Majority of people in many regions get texts from businesses, like finance, work related, and etc, while they only use a messenger service socially. I been to many countries and seen people only use Whatsapp or Viber socially, as if it was their culture.

Just like the evolution of Email, then SMS, becoming the preferred way of instant communication. Soon companies will connect to you via messenger service.

But like blaine07 mentioned with RCS, if that gets implemented in the near future and done right. Then the messenger service business might be dead too. RCS has the ability to destroy iMessage and all other messengers.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I see your point. But that's more of a default by connection.

The data of how they are using SMS is near impossible to tell. Majority of people in many regions get texts from businesses, like finance, work related, and etc, while they only use a messenger service socially. I been to many countries and seen people only use Whatsapp or Viber socially, as if it was their culture.

Just like the evolution of Email, then SMS, becoming the preferred way of instant communication. Soon companies will connect to you via messenger service.

But like blaine07 mentioned with RCS, if that gets implemented in the near future and done right. Then the messenger service business might be dead too. RCS has the ability to destroy iMessage and all other messengers.
Yeah that will change but RCS still has an uphill struggle, but any solution that requires unison from carriers & service providers and even device makers, faces that. In an ideal world it would provide the best unified messaging solution.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

SMS is dying, me myself only get texts from my finance accounts. Socially, I stoped using SMS. Many others do the same.

In 2014 iMessage was reported to be several billion a day globally with growth the US portion is probably about that today would be my guess :)

Whilst I can understand the convenience to some small groups that exclusively have IPhone's it's a large overhead for such little payback IMO

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Nope wrong. Your main link fails to take into account SMS messaging and only looks at the alternative messaging platforms.

Whilst your other two links do say WhatsApp sends more messages per day than SMS which, I am sure there are more than 700 million users utilising SMS and that WhatsApp uses are simply sending 'more' messages per user.

Either way still my point remains that NOT EVERYONE is utilising WhatsApp.

You are nit-picking over semantic here. When some says "everyone in the world" it means more like majority instead of counting every single person.

And btw in the "in my part of the world" FEW (instead of "no one" so don't nitpick, ok?) with connected smartphones just use SMS alone.

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Ok. Although I was asking if someone knew if it locks to the carrier like the video stated. Glad you like your phone though.
Why was you thinking of buying one from ATT then placing someone else sim in so it would lock to that carrier in the US ? I don't think it works that way in US

In the vid he just implied the bloat they have in the US is loaded on placement of the sim :)

Last edited:

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
Why was you thinking of buying one from ATT then placing someone else sim in so it would lock to that carrier in the US ? I don't think it works that way in US as there are different model numbers for each carrier

In the vid he just implied the bloat they have in the US is loaded on placement of the sim :)

Was curious if the s8 would then become carrier locked every time you insert a sim. That's how I interpreted what Linus said. So if I put a att sim in would it then lock it to att, requiring an unlock every time I decide to use another carrier.

I got what he said as to the bloatware but he said it locks to the first carrier sim you insert. That's why I'm asking.

Last edited:

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
WhatsApp to me is basically like iMessage. i text on WhatsApp a lot on my MacBook. If only WhatsApp did an app for the iPad then it could really be just like iMessage for me

Reactions: MH01

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yeah really the only thing I miss is iMessage. Group messaging is kind of a disaster on Android but otherwise I'm totally happy.

Try Slack.

I have friends globally , and we setup a channel for a wedding and to this day it has us connected across every platform .

iMessage never worked for me when it came to international / cross platform.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.