Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Not having blue bubbles is annoying. I've got some core people I communicate with regularly to use Allo as an alternative for now in tandem with Facebook Messager.

But like many iPhone users imessage is pretty important and integral to the smartphone experience. I'm missing it already.

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
I have been an iPhone user for many years now, although I have an iPad and MacBook I am not in the Apple ecosystem, but just preferred how iOS 'worked'.

Last year I purchased a S7 Edge and returned it because, well just because it wasn't Apple/iOS.

I decided to go for the S8 and I have to say, this IS the device that has taken me away from Apple. I was sceptical but I have to the say the phone and software is superb. Android (and probably more specifically Samsung skin) has caught up on iOS and maybe even overtook it. One week in and I have to say I haven't looked back.

One thing I worry about it problems with my phone further down the line. The Apple experience (Genius bar etc) is on another level. Admittedly Samsung may be the same but I am yet to encounter any problems.

On another note, I even sold my Apple Watch and purchased a Gear S3 - which is also a brilliant piece of kit.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks.

It's 3 weeks for two and 6-8 for the middle.
6-8 weeks for the middle? My sister-in-law would have nothing to say! :p

Wow, that's quite a long chunk of time for a recovery. I've broken a toe so I know those bones take a long while.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
This thing really does take great pics!
Point and shoot...selective focus

74020e79fd8b8a9409ea2f92f35395ac.jpg

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My husband got the DeX set up yesterday. He likes it a lot but didn't have time to elaborate on why. He did say it worked well and "felt like the future."

I'm sure it has limited use cases right now but it's serving whatever his happen to be very well, upon first impressions, at least.

I'm still loving the fingerprint sensor. I will never figure out why it worked so poorly the first couple of days but it's hitting 100% unlock rate for me now so I'm tickled pink.

Speaking of pink, display is still pink but my retinas are so fried I'm seeing pink everywhere now. So alls well that ends well and I'm keeping my Pink Panther. Yeah I'm nuts.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
My husband got the DeX set up yesterday. He likes it a lot but didn't have time to elaborate on why. He did say it worked well and "felt like the future."

I'm sure it has limited use cases right now but it's serving whatever his happen to be very well, upon first impressions, at least.

I'm still loving the fingerprint sensor. I will never figure out why it worked so poorly the first couple of days but it's hitting 100% unlock rate for me now so I'm tickled pink.

Speaking of pink, display is still pink but my retinas are so fried I'm seeing pink everywhere now. So alls well that ends well and I'm keeping my Pink Panther. Yeah I'm nuts.
Yep DeX is a bit of fun with some pigeon hole uses :)

Maybe the update I'm getting now is your pink fix amongst others :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s8-automatic-restarting-issue-768025/
Some Galaxy S8s are restarting by themselves

My Pixel device had this problem. Is there any chance that there is a fundamental problem with Android 7.1?
Oh sweet pink baby unicorns...which is now what's on my wallpaper by the way...I would take iridescent pink sparkles at the edge of my view over that any day! Yeah...definitely holding onto this S8+ and hugging it closer now. As long as it does not do THAT. :eek:

Some lotteries I just don't want to play. That's one of them.

So far the only "crash" I've had is the camera a couple of times and I'm not completely sure I didn't cause that by fumbling the controls. So...yeah...I'm good.

Reactions: epicrayban

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Yep DeX is a bit of fun with some pigeon hole uses :)

Maybe the update I'm getting now is your pink fix amongst others :)
I guess I'll find out tonight. I'm at home for just a few minutes so don't want to undertake the update right now. I hope the updating goes well for everyone. I'm heading off to some heavy landscaping/gardening work. It's my first real chance to get back into it since I had some health issues last year. My husband hired a service to take over the bulk of my work here at home, which was more than I could handle after a certain point. What I'm doing now is with friends from my daughter's school so it should be fun. :D

Y'all have a great weekend. I hope to join you all again this evening.

Reactions: jamezr

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Was curious if the s8 would then become carrier locked every time you insert a sim. That's how I interpreted what Linus said. So if I put a att sim in would it then lock it to att, requiring an unlock every time I decide to use another carrier.

I got what he said as to the bloatware but he said it locks to the first carrier sim you insert. That's why I'm asking.
Maybe this is of interest to you :)

[doublepost=1493400942][/doublepost]
I wonder if you are getting the red tint update? seems like it's starting to launch outside of Korea today.

LINK

It was taking so long moved the phone near hallway door :) will take a screenshot when done :)

Last edited:
Reactions: co.ag.2005

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Oh sweet pink baby unicorns...which is now what's on my wallpaper by the way...I would take iridescent pink sparkles at the edge of my view over that any day! Yeah...definitely holding onto this S8+ and hugging it closer now. As long as it does not do THAT. :eek:

Some lotteries I just don't want to play. That's one of them.

So far the only "crash" I've had is the camera a couple of times and I'm not completely sure I didn't cause that by fumbling the controls. So...yeah...I'm good.

Mine randomly rebooted once. Don't think it's a long term issue, but the premium coverage trial can help me probably get a new one or I can go through my carrier if need be.

Reactions: 5105973

wizzywig27

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2012
Apple has a feagure of background app refresh, does anyone know if there is a way of doing this on the S8? Or something similar?

I have turned off facebook notifications in app and on phone but still get the badge notifications and don't want them!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.