Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
If Samsung could offer fast updates, native Wi-Fi Calling, full warranty support, Samsung Pay, and competitive pricing (more sales and promos for their international model that is), I would consider waiting to get the Exynos version because that one is vastly superior to the Snapdragon one. It sucks that we deal with Qualcomm market dominance in most US phone versions.

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I did get a small system update from Verizon this morning, but I think that was to fix the DQA has stopped error. Still even with a few birthing issues I just love my S8+. I have a Tech21 tactical case on it and it just feels good in my hands. :)

Reactions: AppleRobert

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
@Lloydbm41 Quick question, if a T-Mobile customer came in with a non-tmobile branded screen protector, would a corporate store rep help a customer put it on as a courtesy or would they charge?

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
If Samsung could offer fast updates, native Wi-Fi Calling, full warranty support, Samsung Pay, and competitive pricing (more sales and promos for their international model that is), I would consider waiting to get the Exynos version because that one is vastly superior to the Snapdragon one. It sucks that we deal with Qualcomm market dominance in most US phone versions.

It's not like the Snapdragon 835 is an underpowered slow processor. Just keeping things in perspective. :)

Reactions: SteveJUAE

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It's not like the Snapdragon 835 is an underpowered slow processor. Just keeping things in perspective. :)
Nor is native WiFi calling for the want of a simple app DL or full warranty support (what ever that means from the OP) and Samsung pay should be their on official unlocked US models and as we have seen my unlocked version got the updates very quickly :)

I don't see any issues

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Well the pre-orders are over here and today you can get trade-ins.

I had already given the Mrs my old S7E and took back her old S6 to put in some back-up sims we have for UK

Well they so and so's offered me $240 for our old S6 so I had to get the S8+ :)

My S8 screen is more blueish compared to the green on my old S7E but the even newer S8+ has a very slight pink which the new colour fixer update resolved :)

I found smartswitch by cable seemed not to work between the S8's maybe due to the adapter but wireless was fine

I have just over a week now before I meet up with the Mrs to decide which S8 to keep for myself and which one to gift to her and make the S7E the backup :D

I'm a two hander with flip case so the S8+ is not feeling that big for now but in practice I will see

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Is the "pink screen remedy" update supposed to come though automatically via our carrier updates or am I supposed to go to a Samsung site somewhere? So far I have seen no updates when I can for them.
[doublepost=1493434039][/doublepost]
Oh yeah. That came in with the first and only update I've had thus far. I thought my husband's phone didn't have it. He insisted it did not but when I took a look at his phone, oh jeez yes it had that annoying stutter. It is amazing how two people can look at the same thing and see entirely different things going on. No wonder we all fight on the internet so much.

In getting my paws on my husband's phone I made a very shocking and disappointing discovery. :eek:We may need counseling to get past this. It's going to drive a wedge between us. :( Yes, it's that bad.

He's...he's one of those people who actually prefers Samsung's backassward arrangement of the navigation "buttons". :eek:That's right. He prefers his back arrow key on the RIGHT hand side. :oops::confused:

Oh well that's my burden to bear.

Anyway don't worry there's nothing wrong with the hardware or your settings. We just need to let Samsung know it's happening. I've been all over my settings and installations and did a soft reboot. I've found nothing amiss.

Everything else is working great.
Thanks for confirming! I'll make a comment on the Samsung app store.

Reactions: 5105973

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
So I returned my S8+ last week. And I just got an email with tracking showing my free Gear VR is on the way.

Whoops? And what the hell do I do with a Gear VR and no Sammy?

slingshott

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2017
So I returned my S8+ last week. And I just got an email with tracking showing my free Gear VR is on the way.

Whoops? And what the hell do I do with a Gear VR and no Sammy?

I'd wait a while before selling it. That seems like an obvious loophole that Samsung must be aware of. If not, lucky you.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
What's the deal with the red tinge? Most of the press I'm reading on it says is an uneven tint with some areas of the screen being more red. Samsung is saying it's normal, but it doesn't sound like it. Just curious, the demo unit I tried at BB had a flawless screen.

Reactions: jamesrick80

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

It isn't slow, but it is the architecture that creates issues because battery life is noticeably worse compared to Exynos products. Plus uniformity makes developing much easier. I am tired of Qualcomm running unchecked in the American LTE market. Verizon and Sprint need to dump CDMA asap.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
@Lloydbm41 Quick question, if a T-Mobile customer came in with a non-tmobile branded screen protector, would a corporate store rep help a customer put it on as a courtesy or would they charge?
Policy is, we don't apply screen protectors not bought in store.
However, I have done it for customers. I just tell them that if they don't like the result, they are SOL.

Reactions: Klyster and jamezr

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Nor is native WiFi calling for the want of a simple app DL or full warranty support (what ever that means from the OP) and Samsung pay should be their on official unlocked US models and as we have seen my unlocked version got the updates very quickly :)

I don't see any issues

It's different though. Wi-Fi Calling is so useful on my iPhone SE. I can put it on airplane mode at work and still connect via wifi instead of decimating my battery because of weak signals in a dead zone. Samsung Pay wouldn't work using the Exynos model here last time I checked. Full warranty support means that if I purchase an Exynos Galaxy S8, Samsung wouldn't refer me to support outside the US or tell me they cannot honor any warranty (had that issue with an Exynos S7). I want to see Samsung updates their phones at Apple's speed.
[doublepost=1493480020][/doublepost]
However, I have done it for customers. I just tell them that if they don't like the result, they are SOL.

If I remove the packaging material, I could just say that it was purchased at T-Mobile, right?

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I "think" the update will be through the carrier.
Ugh. AT&T must be slow. I still don't have the update. I rebooted my phone just to make sure. On the plus side I did something and animation lag has gone away for now. I don't know if it's from a plain reboot or because I bumped the resolution back down to default and rebooted but it's better.

TL/DR:
I made a wallpaper out of my cat's silhouette. I know it can't be seen well in the photo. I just mentioned it because the pink unicorns got replaced. I'm changing themes and wallpapers around a lot just because I can.

I'm happy with the default launcher. HTC 10 is the device I like to really change up. I've had a few launchers on it.

IMG_1480.JPG

For fun strictly around the house ninja kitty is plugged in.

IMG_1481.JPG

Reactions: Snot Rox

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking off the the previous poster, but I have a quick question myself.

I'm on JoD and I still have my iPhone to trade in. However, I think I actually want to stick with the iPhone and return the S8.

My question: Because of JoD, would I still need to turn in both devices even though I want to keep my iPhone? So I would be stuck with signing up for a whole new JoD to actually get an iPhone again? That's my understanding at least.

Thank you in advance!

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I did get a small system update from Verizon this morning, but I think that was to fix the DQA has stopped error. Still even with a few birthing issues I just love my S8+. I have a Tech21 tactical case on it and it just feels good in my hands. :)

I have the normal S8 on Verizon and haven't received any updates since launch day. But I also haven't had any DQA issues so maybe the update you got was for S8+ only?

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I hope you don't mind me piggybacking off the the previous poster, but I have a quick question myself.

I'm on JoD and I still have my iPhone to trade in. However, I think I actually want to stick with the iPhone and return the S8.

My question: Because of JoD, would I still need to turn in both devices even though I want to keep my iPhone? So I would be stuck with signing up for a whole new JoD to actually get an iPhone again? That's my understanding at least.

Thank you in advance!

If they're on the different lines, I believe you should be good to go with just returning the S8 since it's a 20 day return window from ordering on the phone or 14 days in the store + $50 restocking fee. Idk if Samsung/T-Mobile require you to return the Gear VR though.
[doublepost=1493492951][/doublepost]
Ugh. AT&T must be slow. I still don't have the update. I rebooted my phone just to make sure. On the plus side I did something and animation lag has gone away for now. I don't know if it's from a plain reboot or because I bumped the resolution back down to default and rebooted but it's better.

TL/DR:
I made a wallpaper out of my cat's silhouette. I know it can't be seen well in the photo. I just mentioned it because the pink unicorns got replaced. I'm changing themes and wallpapers around a lot just because I can.

I'm happy with the default launcher. HTC 10 is the device I like to really change up. I've had a few launchers on it.

View attachment 697876

View attachment 697877

No update on T-Mobile either. I am hoping the longer we wait, we can get the May 1st patch and 7.1.1 with the app shortcut options/3D Touch imitation.

Reactions: HiDEF

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
It's different though. Wi-Fi Calling is so useful on my iPhone SE. I can put it on airplane mode at work and still connect via wifi instead of decimating my battery because of weak signals in a dead zone. Samsung Pay wouldn't work using the Exynos model here last time I checked. Full warranty support means that if I purchase an Exynos Galaxy S8, Samsung wouldn't refer me to support outside the US or tell me they cannot honor any warranty (had that issue with an Exynos S7). I want to see Samsung updates their phones at Apple's speed.

Airplane mode normally also disables WiFi :) however with mobile data switch off all the good messenger apps will work on Wifi same as your IPhone not dissimilar to the App on your laptop which sometimes is easier to use, Android messenger apps are available for most platforms mobile or laptop/desktop.

As with any grey import be it Apple or Samsung (eg Exynos) your warranty will be limited to the store you bought it from. Apple IPhone warranty is not international like the MAC's, you should fair belter than most but it's not a given you will get support and Apple hand holding support is normally 90 days only without paying for extra, most others are a year.

My Samsung phones have always received regular updates I have had 2 just this week with my S8(s) can't vouch for carrier locked phones though :). It's a bit of smoke and mirrors with Apple updates as although it usually available for every device at the same time does not mean it's as regular or often as it could be. You only notice a difference with Samsung due to some models/carriers get an update before another but the interval may still be timely.

Samsung Pay more general release is now available yet again with Grey imports things may vary

You should have better luck with an Official US unlock release even if its not an Exynos :) which seems a lesser concern on this release

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Airplane mode normally also disables WiFi :) however with mobile data switch off all the good messenger apps will work on Wifi same as your IPhone not dissimilar to the App on your laptop which sometimes is easier to use, Android messenger apps are available for most platforms mobile or laptop/desktop.

As with any grey import be it Apple or Samsung (eg Exynos) your warranty will be limited to the store you bought it from. Apple IPhone warranty is not international like the MAC's, you should fair belter than most but it's not a given you will get support and Apple hand holding support is normally 90 days only without paying for extra, most others are a year.

My Samsung phones have always received regular updates I have had 2 just this week with my S8(s) can't vouch for carrier locked phones though :). It's a bit of smoke and mirrors with Apple updates as although it usually available for every device at the same time does not mean it's as regular or often as it could be. You only notice a difference with Samsung due to some models/carriers get an update before another but the interval may still be timely.

Samsung Pay more general release is now available yet again with Grey imports things may vary

You should have better luck with an Official US unlock release even if its not an Exynos :) which seems a lesser concern on this release

Wi-Fi standby on the Galaxy S8 is solid, but not as good as my iOS experiences. I am going to to side load FB Messenger lite to avoid Messenger's regular resource hogging.

I don't use What's App much on my Laptop that much even though it's installed on my Mac.

The thing is that I won't have to do a grey import if Qualcomm's processors aren't used in the US. If I had to import it, I would feel comfortable that Samsung can offer support here instead of just saying well tough luck. Apple told to me they have international coverage on iPhones when I had the 5C 2 years ago.

Carriers can hit the curb because they have too much control on updates. It further fragments the Android experience. I wouldn't get a US unlocked model unless the pricing is favorable. $800 after tax for a phone is too much. I am just paying $35.31 for each month I use a phone until I upgrade (5-6 months from now).

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Wi-Fi standby on the Galaxy S8 is solid, but not as good as my iOS experiences. I am going to to side load FB Messenger lite to avoid Messenger's regular resource hogging.

I don't use What's App much on my Laptop that much even though it's installed on my Mac.

The thing is that I won't have to do a grey import if Qualcomm's processors aren't used in the US. If I had to import it, I would feel comfortable that Samsung can offer support here instead of just saying well tough luck. Apple told to me they have international coverage on iPhones when I had the 5C 2 years ago.

Carriers can hit the curb because they have too much control on updates. It further fragments the Android experience. I wouldn't get a US unlocked model unless the pricing is favorable. $800 after tax for a phone is too much. I am just paying $35.31 for each month I use a phone until I upgrade (5-6 months from now).
Agreed the carriers in US particularly have some extra annoyances for Samsung

Personally I never get the thing with monthly payment plans as at the end of the day it's just another form of HP/lease with a lot more complicated stuff, still if it helps spread the cost and it suits plus the carriers make it harder to do otherwise :)

Check your Apple IPhone T&C's they have the right to refuse and return to country of origin, but usually you should get assistance overseas/grey's

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA

TL/DR:

View attachment 697876

View attachment 697877

Yeah. No update from T-Mobile yet either. I guess it will take awhile for the carriers to approve the update and push it through.

Where did you get the house ninja kitty?

Reactions: 5105973
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.