Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Wondering what kind of success you're all having with the iris scanner. Mine works sometimes but when I go into different lighting it struggles. I read somewhere that setting it up in the dark helps. Thoughts?
Same issues here. I probably should rescan but I find the Iris scanner light irritates my eyes so I don't use it to unlock. It still tries to scan my eyes for one of the payment systems.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Lots of "is there any way to make the S8 do this like the iPhone?" up in here lol
Well that makes sense since we are on an Apple oriented site and many of us are coming over from an iPhone to Android. There is still much that I love about the iPhone. It would be great to replicate those features I like and use onto my S8+ if possible.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
Just used auto fill passwords some of my websites (stock samsung browser) via the iris scanner.

That's soms futuristic shizzle there. Like it a lot!!

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Is the "pink screen remedy" update supposed to come though automatically via our carrier updates or am I supposed to go to a Samsung site somewhere? So far I have seen no updates when I can for them.
[doublepost=1493434039][/doublepost]
Oh yeah. That came in with the first and only update I've had thus far. I thought my husband's phone didn't have it. He insisted it did not but when I took a look at his phone, oh jeez yes it had that annoying stutter. It is amazing how two people can look at the same thing and see entirely different things going on. No wonder we all fight on the internet so much.

In getting my paws on my husband's phone I made a very shocking and disappointing discovery. :eek:We may need counseling to get past this. It's going to drive a wedge between us. :( Yes, it's that bad.

He's...he's one of those people who actually prefers Samsung's backassward arrangement of the navigation "buttons". :eek:That's right. He prefers his back arrow key on the RIGHT hand side. :oops::confused:

Oh well that's my burden to bear.

Anyway don't worry there's nothing wrong with the hardware or your settings. We just need to let Samsung know it's happening. I've been all over my settings and installations and did a soft reboot. I've found nothing amiss.

Everything else is working great.

I'm in the same camp as your husband. After trying it both ways, I left it on the default setup with back on the right, and I declare that to be the right way. :D

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Lots of "is there any way to make the S8 do this like the iPhone?" up in here lol

At least the answer in most cases is "yes you can make it do that like iOS", whereas when moving from Android back to iPhone we're stuck with things however iPhone already does it.

Reactions: jamezr

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
That means they are switchers :) Most of what they want can be done on Android. But the opposite cannot be said.....

I don't blame them. The S8 design and hardware with iOS on it is a dream device for me.

Samsung's version of android is absolutely horrid and prefer stock myself.

Wasn't a knock on the S8 at all as it's an amazing device for a lot of people.

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
I don't blame them. The S8 design and hardware with iOS on it is a dream device for me.

Samsung's version of android is absolutely horrid and prefer stock myself.

Wasn't a knock on the S8 at all as it's an amazing device for a lot of people.

Preferring one skin over another is one's opinion, but calling it horrid is nonsense. The Samsung UX appearance is an improvement over stock Android, and both Samsung UX and stock Android are significantly better than iOS.

I trade my iPhone 7 for S8 and couldn't imagine going back.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/18/15338052/samsung-galaxy-s8-touchwiz-android-software

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Preferring one skin over another is one's opinion, but calling it horrid is nonsense. The Samsung UX appearance is an improvement over stock Android, and both Samsung UX and stock Android are significantly better than iOS.

I trade my iPhone 7 for S8 and couldn't imagine going back.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/4/18/15338052/samsung-galaxy-s8-touchwiz-android-software

Horrid is the perfect word from what I have experienced and seen from it.

But again, one's own personal opinion.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Screenshot_20170430-150240.png And I caved. I just spent 5$ on Nova Prime and I'm really liking the idea of swiping down for notifications slash up for app drawer. It makes so much sense.

Last edited:

AppleMichael

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
I've just ordered an S8+ from amazon Italy (good deal!) to be delivered to the UK. Does anyone know if changing the CSC to UK BTU voids the warranty and trips the Knox counter?

Reactions: MRU and jamezr

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
As an avid apple fan, I have owned every iPhone and have gotten them on launch. Thanks to my job I'm also able to get the latest android phones. This s8 isn't like the old touchwiz disasters like the S4 and S5. This is a refined and buttery smooth operating system placed on the best hardware that exists in mobile phones. For the first time since I've had an iPhone, I don't want to use it. It's dead in a drawer for me while I'm using my S8 constantly.

That being said, I'm trying to convince myself to go back to my iPhone, but it's very hard so far.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
As an avid apple fan, I have owned every iPhone and have gotten them on launch. Thanks to my job I'm also able to get the latest android phones. This s8 isn't like the old touchwiz disasters like the S4 and S5. This is a refined and buttery smooth operating system placed on the best hardware that exists in mobile phones. For the first time since I've had an iPhone, I don't want to use it. It's dead in a drawer for me while I'm using my S8 constantly.

That being said, I'm trying to convince myself to go back to my iPhone, but it's very hard so far.

Considering what the rumors are for the iPhone 8/Edition/X, there could be an incentive to return, but that's if they live up to the hype. Samsung's sustained success (S6 Edge onwards) plus back to back "S years" really increases the hype with a refreshed iPhone.

The rumors are all over the place still, so it's hard to say what we could get unlike last year with the headphone jack removal. All we know is that the home button will not return as is (6S or 7) and there will be wireless charging/fast charging. Dual cameras will still exist. 3gb RAM is probably the standard for both devices.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
These phone have got to a point where they are all good and dont really offer much year to year

Could say that since 2015 really. The Nexus 6P, iPhone 6s, Moto G, Moto X 2015, LG V10, Note 5, S6 Edge Plus, HTC One M9, Xperia Z5 are still good to this day. Only things to keep in mind are stuff like boot loops, etc.

I have a few family members rocking the Moto X 2015 and Moto G. Their phones work really well for core functions. I would never pay more than $500 for a phone period, especially at launch.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I've just ordered an S8+ from amazon Italy (good deal!) to be delivered to the UK. Does anyone know if changing the CSC to UK BTU voids the warranty and trips the Knox counter?
It doesn't trip the Knox and whilst 'technically' changing CSC does invalidate warranty, I have never had a problem when I have flashed EU models with the BTU firmware and getting subsequent hardware warranty support, besides its easy to flash back. They don't seem to have too much trouble in my experience accepting device for hardware warranty service as long as it's on an official firmware, and Knox hasn't been tripped and device is not rooted.

Last edited:
Reactions: Roadstar

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Could say that since 2015 really. The Nexus 6P, iPhone 6s, Moto G, Moto X 2015, LG V10, Note 5, S6 Edge Plus, HTC One M9, Xperia Z5 are still good to this day. Only things to keep in mind are stuff like boot loops, etc.

I have a few family members rocking the Moto X 2015 and Moto G. Their phones work really well for core functions. I would never pay more than $500 for a phone period, especially at launch.
Agreed, I just switched from using my Pixel Xl(bought cheap and used) to a Moto Z Play, today is my first full day with it and no difference in my use except the battery is way better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.