Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleMichael

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
It doesn't trip the Knox and whilst 'technically' changing CSC does invalidate warranty, I have never had a problem when I have flashed EU models with the BTU firmware and getting subsequent hardware warranty support, besides its easy to flash back. They don't seem to have too much trouble in my experience accepting device for hardware warranty service as long as it's on an official firmware, and Knox hasn't been tripped and device is not rooted.

Perfect thanks!

Reactions: MRU

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm in the same camp as your husband. After trying it both ways, I left it on the default setup with back on the right, and I declare that to be the right way. :D

IMG_0329.JPG

You know my husband is a nut, right? He married ME. You might rethink your judgement!
[doublepost=1493595688][/doublepost]I installed the full screen Armorsuit screen protector about an hour ago. It went better than a tempered glass screen protector installation went on my iPhone 7 Plus. Probably because I made the wise decision to drink half a bottle of wine first and let the cat help. :p

I've never installed a screen protector while less than 100% sober before, but the cat has helped in the past. Installations with cat go better than without. By shedding a couple of hairs on everything, the cat ensures I am extra proactive in removing dust and I get a good installation. If you pet the cat first and get the cat all staticky, the dust will even be drawn to the cat. I even got the edges to stick to the display, which few people on Amazon managed to do. Now I just need to wait overnight to see if it looks okay or makes the display all sparkly.

Well, folks, whatever you do, do not install wet squishy film screen protectors while sober. That's my advice and I am sticking to it. And get a cat. Flossy Carter would know what I'm talking about. ;)

My husband drank the other half of the bottle and installed a vent cover in the basement. I think that went okay. The people who finished the basement did something wrong so he's had to engineer a solution rather than do things straightforward.

Well now back to work on spring cleaning, to figure out what I am going to do with all the Note 7 cases I ordered last year. :rolleyes:

Reactions: co.ag.2005 and MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Well, folks, whatever you do, do not install wet squishy film screen protectors while sober. That's my advice and I am sticking to it. And get a cat. Flossy Carter would know what I'm talking about. ;)
:

Lol. I actually truly began loving his videos and a bit of a fan, when xerxes showed up; and it's clear he loves his little camera troll.

He acts stereotypical 'boss' & 'gangsta' or at least I perceived him that way, but seeing his relationship with xerxes and her 'little white boots' really made me re-address my perception as it's clear he's actually a bit of a softy ...

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
The S8 looks quite amazing. I've thought for a long time of switching from iOS to Android. Is it worth it? I've always been a Mac and iOS user.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Agreed, I just switched from using my Pixel Xl(bought cheap and used) to a Moto Z Play, today is my first full day with it and no difference in my use except the battery is way better.

The Moto Z Play has one of the best batteries on an android phone right now, no?

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Well, I'm back in! I couldn't go back to vanilla Android (Pixel XL) so I headed down to my local VZW and picked up an S8+, this time in Arctic silver. Black is gorgeous...for the three seconds you have it before it attracts every fingerprint within a 500 mile radius. I don't know why or what but suddenly the FP sensor on this one is light years better than my first unit.

Everything else on the phone is as badass as I remember.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
The Moto Z Play has one of the best batteries on an android phone right now, no?
I dont know if it is the best but it is certainly very good, that is the reason I went with it. It uses the Snapdragon 625 which sips battery. I am at 62% and have been off the charger since this morning and have 3h 47m sot

Reactions: nviz22

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Well, I'm back in! I couldn't go back to vanilla Android (Pixel XL) so I headed down to my local VZW and picked up an S8+

What's wrong with vanilla Android? What benefits does the S8+ have with the Samsung Experience over vanilla Android from your point of view...

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
View attachment 698007

Well now back to work on spring cleaning, to figure out what I am going to do with all the Note 7 cases I ordered last year. :rolleyes:

I still have a Note 7 wireless battery case. It's too small to fit my S8+, but if I place my S8+ on top of it, it still charges. I might cut the edges off and use it as an emergency wireless battery pad.

01_Note7_Backpack_Dynamic_000000_Standard_Online_S.png

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
What's wrong with vanilla Android? What benefits does the S8+ have with the Samsung Experience over vanilla Android from your point of view...

Absolutely NOTHING! Vanilla Android on the Pixel is great. What I appreciate about the Sammy experience is it feels like an Android version of iOS in polish, but has features that push the envelope like iris scanning and of of course the display.

I didn't mean for my original comment to come across as bagging on Vanilla. I still think the Pixel XL is a workhorse.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
The S8 looks quite amazing. I've thought for a long time of switching from iOS to Android. Is it worth it? I've always been a Mac and iOS user.
Well right now, I'm running an iPhone 7Plus and an S8+ and so far they are very comparable in reliability and stability. But it's only been a week for me to evaluate and compare.

Right off the bat, I would miss Apple News and iMessage if I were to switch. I might also miss having my iPad and my iPhone partially linked over iCloud.

If I were to completely switch, I would also miss being able to pop by the Apple Store to deal with any problems.

My husband is more of a power user than I am. I've seen him use the S8+ with his 2016 GM truck and voice controlling it with OK Google and it worked fine. So far he's doing well with it on his business apps.

I've had it working well with a fussy Bluetooth speaker that didn't work well with my Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge.

I need to test the video camera more. I know I can do at least a 90 minute 4K video on my iPhone 7Plus with no problem and no overheating. I need a chance to put the 8+ to the same test.

If you're going from a 5s and want to stay with a compact from factor, the S8 will probably give you a more fulfilling experience for your money than the iPhone 7 would. It's really sad the iPhone 7 still has that dotty display. I mean, when I look at it, it looks "dotty" or low res to me. That doesn't bother most people, but some of us on this forum can't unsee it.

But be warned...there is so much you can customize on the S8, you might get stunned a few times. The S8 is long-ish, but I thought it was comfortable to hold.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I threw everything my S8+. A 3 hour session on VR, 50 minutes of 4K video recording, hours of gaming, tons of HD streaming from my Slingbox, Remote Desktop, and etc.

I haven't used an app to technically check the internal temps, but so far I can't get this phone to heat up to the point that you can feel it. And that's impressive for a phone with a glass back.

Comparing JerryRigEverything's teardown videos of the S7 Edge, Note 7, and the S8+, the placement of internals is basically identical. Nothing added to make the S8+ feel less hot. So my uninformed guess is that the 10nm processor really does produce much less heat.

Reactions: 5105973

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Does anyone have any recommendations for a case for a Midnight Black S8? My Ringke case was good up until I put my screen protector on and then the case started causing the top corner of the protector to peel. I put on some stiff case I got for $.99, but I rather change it up to something that doesn't add bulk and provides some protection and doesn't interfere with my screen protector.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Does anyone have any recommendations for a case for a Midnight Black S8? My Ringke case was good up until I put my screen protector on and then the case started causing the top corner of the protector to peel. I put on some stiff case I got for $.99, but I rather change it up to something that doesn't add bulk and provides some protection and doesn't interfere with my screen protector.

I can't speak on compatibility with your screen protector.

But I'm using this case and love it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XP5RHGG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
question for former 7 Edge users or S8 users who are using the Edge function (I mean, where you swipe from the sides to get your favorite apps/contacts).
I am about to give it a try and enable the favorite apps edge screen and favorite contacts edge screen.

Is this Edge functionality known as a battery drainer?

Please share your experience! :) thanks

Last edited:

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
Well right now, I'm running an iPhone 7Plus and an S8+ and so far they are very comparable in reliability and stability. But it's only been a week for me to evaluate and compare.

Right off the bat, I would miss Apple News and iMessage if I were to switch. I might also miss having my iPad and my iPhone partially linked over iCloud.

If I were to completely switch, I would also miss being able to pop by the Apple Store to deal with any problems.

My husband is more of a power user than I am. I've seen him use the S8+ with his 2016 GM truck and voice controlling it with OK Google and it worked fine. So far he's doing well with it on his business apps.

I've had it working well with a fussy Bluetooth speaker that didn't work well with my Galaxy S7 or S7 Edge.

I need to test the video camera more. I know I can do at least a 90 minute 4K video on my iPhone 7Plus with no problem and no overheating. I need a chance to put the 8+ to the same test.

If you're going from a 5s and want to stay with a compact from factor, the S8 will probably give you a more fulfilling experience for your money than the iPhone 7 would. It's really sad the iPhone 7 still has that dotty display. I mean, when I look at it, it looks "dotty" or low res to me. That doesn't bother most people, but some of us on this forum can't unsee it.

But be warned...there is so much you can customize on the S8, you might get stunned a few times. The S8 is long-ish, but I thought it was comfortable to hold.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using an iPhone 6S right now. Not sure what you mean by "dotty" for the screen. The iPhone 6S screen seems clear to me. My only thing is that I can't afford to just go out and buy a phone. To have both side by side to test would be expensive for me.

makdeniss

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
European Union
So I made the switch also. Sold my 6s plus and got a s8. Put my apple watch to rest until ios 11 and iphone 8 (hopefully a better phone). So far I am missing a few very needed apps on the android platform and I am quite surprised about the 'this app is not available in your country' thing :mad:

And I have to merge my calendar somehow, because this is quite important. Any hints, guys?

EDIT: Found this: http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-sync-calendar-iphone-android-340386/ doesn't seem to be very hard :)

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
My Experience so far

Pros:

1. So ordered my S8 + day before launch, got it delivered the next day in an impressive box. Imagine that getting a device on launch day without waiting weeks or months....

2. Design: first time ever the IPhone equivalent feels old and dated. Yup holding both in hand, apple has been out innovated in the design front.

3. Screen : zero redness to it, seriously....damn.

4. The OS: I own a note 4, Samsung iron man and Samsung batman, so s6 and S7 and on the S8, the OS is very impressive and polished. First time I can say it's close to matching my iPhone experience .

5. Iris scanner. Never used it, though it works...works well, I have not used the finger scanner yet....

6. Android: man..... to summarise the situation, I can run kodi on this thing... so much potential, if you are a power user, this thing will offer functionality the iPhone cannot .

7. Intergration with home and Alexa

Cons

1. Samsungcare, or what ever it's called. I added it to the basket when ordering , it was £99 .......which I though was good value, it was not till I paid attention , it's 12 months. Nope gonna cancel , and unlike apple it's disjointed. I got the cover email from the 3rd party and not Samsung.

2. See 1. Support and serivce, nothing beats apple.

3. So much apple gear.....so deep in the ecosystem....this like me, will take time to get out , though cause apple has been screwing up or neglecting its devices so much, I've already replaced my Apple TV with an nvidia shield and Mac mini with a skull canyon/core....and I can say that getting out slowly has its benefits...apple hardware is stagnating...though not easy people, a closed ecosystem for many is still the way to go

4. Apple Pay : have not setup the android pay etc, though I'd like to point out, Apple Pay in my opinion is far superior.

5. Touchid : still the best way to unlock a phone from the front, and best user experience

Undecided

Battery : this week going to test against my 6S plus: though since going iOS 10, apple has managed to screw a perfectly fine phone with OS updates . Even had the phone repelaced by apple, for the brand new one to also have very poor battery life. I remember getting my 6S plus and being impressed by the awesome battery life, now it feels like a regular iPhone, can't get me through the day

OS updates : apple is fast and Samsung is slow. Both can Improve or screw you phone. I've not spent enough time with android as a daily driver to know or from thier end. As an iPhone user , some really bad experiences of planned obsolescence where some OS updates should not have been released or at least give the user the ability to roll back a version.

Security / privacy : would not trust either one with my data, though the iPhone is a better device from that perspective , as a hardware unit. iCloud backups....another matter.

My world is better than yours : fundamentally neither platform form is perfect, if you can find a balance between the two, and PCs you will be in a good place. If you can honestly say that one platform, say apple is superior to all others in all repects, put down the koolaid, this is a personal experience issue, you judge your own marker, and this is somethig I need to decide on. Being a massive Jobs fan, had he still been around, I'd be investing towards apple, with Tim playing the politician and raising prices each year, I feel I'm slowly getting pushed out....the new iPhone will cost me over a thousand pounds, probably about one thousand two hundred with AppleCare ....I really think smartphones are going the wrong way and frankly no phone is worth more that a thousand .

Keep or return . I have a month to decide if I will keep the Samsung, will see, I will admit that it will not be easy to leave the iPhone, it's a part of life, though this is the most polished and android device ever. Will see.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
My Experience so far

Pros:

1. So ordered my S8 + day before launch, got it delivered the next day in an impressive box. Imagine that getting a device on launch day without waiting weeks or months....

2. Design: first time ever the IPhone equivalent feels old and dated. Yup holding both in hand, apple has been out innovated in the design front.

3. Screen : zero redness to it, seriously....damn.

4. The OS: I own a note 4, Samsung iron man and Samsung batman, so s6 and S7 and on the S8, the OS is very impressive and polished. First time I can say it's close to matching my iPhone experience .

5. Iris scanner. Never used it, though it works...works well, I have not used the finger scanner yet....

6. Android: man..... to summarise the situation, I can run kodi on this thing... so much potential, if you are a power user, this thing will offer functionality the iPhone cannot .

7. Intergration with home and Alexa

Cons

1. Samsungcare, or what ever it's called. I added it to the basket when ordering , it was £99 .......which I though was good value, it was not till I paid attention , it's 12 months. Nope gonna cancel , and unlike apple it's disjointed. I got the cover email from the 3rd party and not Samsung.

2. See 1. Support and serivce, nothing beats apple.

3. So much apple gear.....so deep in the ecosystem....this like me, will take time to get out , though cause apple has been screwing up or neglecting its devices so much, I've already replaced my Apple TV with an nvidia shield and Mac mini with a skull canyon/core....and I can say that getting out slowly has its benefits...apple hardware is stagnating...though not easy people, a closed ecosystem for many is still the way to go

4. Apple Pay : have not setup the android pay etc, though I'd like to point out, Apple Pay in my opinion is far superior.

5. Touchid : still the best way to unlock a phone from the front, and best user experience

Undecided

Battery : this week going to test against my 6S plus: though since going iOS 10, apple has managed to screw a perfectly fine phone with OS updates . Even had the phone repelaced by apple, for the brand new one to also have very poor battery life. I remember getting my 6S plus and being impressed by the awesome battery life, now it feels like a regular iPhone, can't get me through the day

OS updates : apple is fast and Samsung is slow. Both can Improve or screw you phone. I've not spent enough time with android as a daily driver to know or from thier end. As an iPhone user , some really bad experiences of planned obsolescence where some OS updates should not have been released or at least give the user the ability to roll back a version.

Security / privacy : would not trust either one with my data, though the iPhone is a better device from that perspective , as a hardware unit. iCloud backups....another matter.

My world is better than yours : fundamentally neither platform form is perfect, if you can find a balance between the two, and PCs you will be in a good place. If you can honestly say that one platform, say apple is superior to all others in all repects, put down the koolaid, this is a personal experience issue, you judge your own marker, and this is somethig I need to decide on. Being a massive Jobs fan, had he still been around, I'd be investing towards apple, with Tim playing the politician and raising prices each year, I feel I'm slowly getting pushed out....the new iPhone will cost me over a thousand pounds, probably about one thousand two hundred with AppleCare ....I really think smartphones are going the wrong way and frankly no phone is worth more that a thousand .

Keep or return . I have a month to decide if I will keep the Samsung, will see, I will admit that it will not be easy to leave the iPhone, it's a part of life, though this is the most polished and android device ever. Will see.

Asking out of curiosity: how is Apple Pay far superior when Android Pay is accepted at every store Apple Pay is available? Unless you're referring to in app support that allows it?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Asking out of curiosity: how is Apple Pay far superior when Android Pay is accepted at every store Apple Pay is available? Unless you're referring to in app support that allows it?

I wouldn't say far superior either however you hit the nail on the head for the key difference. I find the option to pay using Apple Pay in quite a few apps and websites. Heck, my monthly lawncare/landscaping invoice sent to me from that business lets me use Apple Pay on their website...pretty cool.

FWIW, I found Apple Pay to be supported by quite a few more banks as well. My daily credit card is issue by JP Morgan Chase, largest bank in the US, and was only just added about 5 months ago. My other credit card is a large regional bank that still hasn't added support yet I can use it on Apple Pay.

Reactions: widgeteer
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.