Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I most likely will. However, I think if I stuck with it and made it a couple months I'd be fine. It's just the transition period that's tough. I'm so happy and comfortable with my iPhone that I never make it past that transition window.
At this point, I plan on going with the S8+ up until the redesign iPhone comes out.

I have an iPad to keep me tied to iMessage, I'm really digging the design/display of the S8+ to return it.

But then again... My plans could change, I've got until Sunday to decide, but when there's the 7+ and S8+ by my side... I tend to want to grab the S8+.

Reactions: AppleRobert

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Tried out the S8 and like everyone says, the design is incredible as is the screen. Unfortunately, I missed iOS too much (mainly the apps rather than the OS itself). I also missed iMessage/Facetime and my apple watch, as well as the battery on the 7+ (I've needed to charge from 0 to 100 mid-day to get the same kind of usage on my S8). Sad to return because of the hardware being so stellar, but excited to see what comes ahead.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
My Experience so far

4. Apple Pay : have not setup the android pay etc, though I'd like to point out, Apple Pay in my opinion is far superior.

Definitely use Samsung Pay since they're running promos for new S8 users. Android Pay is nice, Apple Pay is just as good but Samsung Pay can be used everywhere that doesn't have NFC readers. I've probably done 10 purchases in the past week just for the promotional points.

JBUGGY

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Anyone know, re: swapping out SIM cards....if it's possible on Verizon?
Last yr with the Note 7s we had got 2 lines and were told from Verizon it wasn't possible to switch out SIM cards with our then iP6s+. We were told the SIM cards weren't compatible.

I'm wondering if it's possible with Verizon... to have both devices, (iP7+ SIM and S8+ SIM) and swap SIM cards? And do so without having to get 2 ph lines. Or would 2 ph lines also be an option.

Thanks!

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Last yr with the Note 7s we had got 2 lines and were told from Verizon it wasn't possible to switch out SIM cards with our then iP6s+. We were told the SIM cards weren't compatible.

I'm wondering if it's possible with Verizon... to have both devices, (iP7+ SIM and S8+ SIM) and swap SIM cards? And do so without having to get 2 ph lines. Or would 2 ph lines also be an option.

Thanks!
Not sure with Verizon.

But I'm currently doing that with my 7+ and S8+ on AT&T, only concern is with iMessage. Porting your number back and forth can cause some issues with iMessage.

Reactions: JBUGGY

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA

Thanks!
I've heard Verizon doesn't like (mobile phone) freedom. There's some sort of activation process when putting in your Verizon SIM in a different phone. I haven't had any issue with T-Mo and AT&T. I'd give them a quick call or go into a store to get confirmation.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
I have my iPhone 7+ and GS8+ side by side. Both are great devices. One thing that definitely keeps bringing me back to my S8 more so than my 7, is the display. Omg that thing is gorgeous. And then when I look at my 7+, it looks almost washed out :( Now my iPhone definitely has its perks, namely iMessage and the better stock keyboard. But Samsung's brilliant display, more water and dust resistance, amazing and lightning fast camera, and fast charging(seriously can't talk about how awesome this feature is enough) is what's causing me to basically leave my iPhone in the dust....not to mention other cool little features like VR support. Tim and co definitely have their work cut out for them
[doublepost=1493658292][/doublepost]

Thanks!

Same SIM in my 7+ is now sitting in my GS8+. What's weird is I was shocked that it worked considering that at my job I was told that iPhone and Android devices could no longer use the same SIM cards

JBUGGY

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Not sure with Verizon.

But I'm currently doing that with my 7+ and S8+ on AT&T, only concern is with iMessage. Porting your number back and forth can cause some issues with iMessage.

Yep, true!

I've heard Verizon doesn't like (mobile phone) freedom. There's some sort of activation process when putting in your Verizon SIM in a different phone. I haven't had any issue with T-Mo and AT&T. I'd give them a quick call or go into a store to get confirmation.

LOL mobile ph freedom! smh..

--------------

Thanks!:)

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

Thanks!

Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, you mean just taking your nano sim out of one phone and placing it in the other so that you can use whichever one when the mood strikes, correct? If so: Yes, it absolutely is possible. I know this because I've been doing this on the reg. Last year I would swap a GS7 Edge with an iPhone 6S+ almost daily. Been doing the same since December with a Pixel XL and iPhone 7+. You don't have to call VZW for anything, just put the active sim in whichever phone you want to use.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Not sure with Verizon.

How much does another line cost you and also do you have to deactivate iMessage each time when you switch to the android device?

I also have ATT and I guess you just set up NEXT on the 2nd line and get the new device?

I never thought of this, brilliant!

JBUGGY

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Unless I'm misunderstanding the question, you mean just taking your nano sim out of one phone and placing it in the other so that you can use whichever one when the mood strikes, correct? If so: Yes, it absolutely is possible. I know this because I've been doing this on the reg. Last year I would swap a GS7 Edge with an iPhone 6S+ almost daily. Been doing the same since December with a Pixel XL and iPhone 7+. You don't have to call VZW for anything, just put the active sim in whichever phone you want to use.

Yes, you're reading my question exactly correct! Using both iP7+ and S8+ and switching out the SIM cards on Verizon with 1 line.

So do you know if the SIM on the S8+ is the same as the Pixel XL? I mean, the S8+ SIM would work/fit in the iPh7+ and vice-versa.

I'd have to turn off iMessage each time I switched though. Hmm something to think about.
Thanks for the info!;)

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
How much does another line cost you and also do you have to deactivate iMessage each time when you switch to the android device?

I also have ATT and I guess you just set up NEXT on the 2nd line and get the new device?

I never thought of this, brilliant!

Yeah, I just added a new line for Galaxy. Not sure what's the total just yet.. since I just got the Galaxy and it haven't been calculated on to the bill.

But yeah.. I have to deactivate iMessage each time. And it kinda sucks not having iMessage, since majority of my family is on it. That's why the decision to transition to Galaxy is a tough decision.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX

Thanks!

Yes it is. When I got my S8, I put my sim from my iPhone 7+ in the S8 without issue. And then I got a S8+ to try (same sim), didn't like the size so tried out the LG G6 (same sim), decided to stick with my S8, so that same sim is in the S8 without issue.

JBUGGY

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
I have my iPhone 7+ and GS8+ side by side. Both are great devices. One thing that definitely keeps bringing me back to my S8 more so than my 7, is the display. Omg that thing is gorgeous. And then when I look at my 7+, it looks almost washed out :( Now my iPhone definitely has its perks, namely iMessage and the better stock keyboard. But Samsung's brilliant display, more water and dust resistance, amazing and lightning fast camera, and fast charging(seriously can't talk about how awesome this feature is enough) is what's causing me to basically leave my iPhone in the dust....not to mention other cool little features like VR support. Tim and co definitely have their work cut out for them
[doublepost=1493658292][/doublepost]

Same SIM in my 7+ is now sitting in my GS8+. What's weird is I was shocked that it worked considering that at my job I was told that iPhone and Android devices could no longer use the same SIM cards

Ya, I'm also really surprised as well. So, you are on Verizon? Because, that's what they told us, that switching out SIM cards (last yr.: Note 7 and iPh6S+) weren't compatible.

Interesting to hear, that others are swapping out iPh7+ and S8/+ SIMs on Verizon.

Thx for info!

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Ya, I'm also really surprised as well. So, you are on Verizon? Because, that's what they told us, that switching out SIM cards (last yr.: Note 7 and iPh6S+) weren't compatible.

Interesting to hear, that others are swapping out iPh7+ and S8/+ SIMs on Verizon.

Thx for info!

FWIW, when I switched my sim from my iPhone 7+ to my S8 initially, it showed up right away in my device manager on Verizon's website. I didn't have any issues but I did call Verizon a few days later just to make sure they didn't need to do anything on their end or need my IMEI so I could avoid potential issues. She said that they didn't have to do or change anything on their end and that the S8 (IMEI and all) showed up correctly on their end.

maccingandsnacking

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2017
Apple have their backs up against the wall for the first time, let's hope they come out swinging. Another mediocre repackaging of the same thing might not yield the same loyalty this time, walled garden or not.

Reactions: c0ppo and Geert76

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Yes, you're reading my question exactly correct! Using both iP7+ and S8+ and switching out the SIM cards on Verizon with 1 line.

So do you know if the SIM on the S8+ is the same as the Pixel XL? I mean, the S8+ SIM would work/fit in the iPh7+ and vice-versa.

I'd have to turn off iMessage each time I switched though. Hmm something to think about.
Thanks for the info!;)

1 - Yes, they use the same type of sim card - nano sims (unless I'm wrong I believe this is the industry standard now. I don't know of any phones released in the last couple of years that aren't using nano sims).
2 - Warning about iMessage: I have turned it off entirely. You will be in hell if you try to turn it on/off depending on which phone you use, as will your iPhone contacts. Each time you turn it off, you have to deregister the number with Apple to guarantee that your iPHone contacts' messages to you are sent as texts vs iMessages. And that doesn't even guarantee it. Thus why I've turned it off completely.

Just a warning.

JBUGGY

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
FWIW, when I switched my sim from my iPhone 7+ to my S8 initially, it showed up right away in my device manager on Verizon's website. I didn't have any issues but I did call Verizon a few days later just to make sure they didn't need to do anything on their end or need my IMEI so I could avoid potential issues. She said that they didn't have to do or change anything on their end and that the S8 (IMEI and all) showed up correctly on their end.

Ahh I see thx for the heads up. Good to know!

1 - Yes, they use the same type of sim card - nano sims (unless I'm wrong I believe this is the industry standard now. I don't know of any phones released in the last couple of years that aren't using nano sims).
2 - Warning about iMessage: I have turned it off entirely. You will be in hell if you try to turn it on/off depending on which phone you use, as will your iPhone contacts. Each time you turn it off, you have to deregister the number with Apple to guarantee that your iPHone contacts' messages to you are sent as texts vs iMessages. And that doesn't even guarantee it. Thus why I've turned it off completely.

Just a warning.

Ya, damn iMessage. Thx for warning,...Ya been thinking about how I'll have to deal with all that. Deactivating etc ugh. (If I choose to do this). Hmm. A lot to think about for sure.
Thx a lot for all your help!

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Hey y'all, thinking about selling my 12" MacBook as I don't have much need for a computer anymore and grabbing an S8 for fun. My daily driver is a 7 Plus but I love smartphones and think it would be a blast to use both around the house.

Is this a stupid decision? Anything I need to be aware of doing this? I'm planning on leaving the S8 in airplane mode and just using it on wi-fi. Anybody else doing this? Thanks!

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Had no intentions of buying this phone but the normal ol MacRumors reviews and good info got me again.

I simply added a line as suggested here and got the S8+.

Man this thing is a hardware beauty and still taking time to "iphone-ize" it as we discussed earlier in the thread to have it comfortable to how I like it.

But I can't stop looking at this screen!!

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Does anyone know if the May 9th date for the unlocked S8 from Best Buy is a release date or pre-order date?

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Had no intentions of buying this phone but the normal ol MacRumors reviews and good info got me again.

I simply added a line as suggested here and got the S8+.

Man this thing is a hardware beauty and still taking time to "iphone-ize" it as we discussed earlier in the thread to have it comfortable to how I like it.

But I can't stop looking at this screen!!
Sweet! Let us know what you think.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas

Thx for info!
Yeah I got Verizon

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Sweet! Let us know what you think.

It's....different??

By god the build quality is fantastic and I can't stop looking at the screen as the quality is amazing.

With that being said, I have all the apps from my iPhone installed and now just tweaking things if you will to my liking. I had to install SwiftKey as I didn't care for the Samsung keyboard too much but thats a minor thing.

The OS is going to take some getting used to for sure and looking for a messenger app that will do the screen wake and quick replies like the iPhone has as I really enjoyed that.

Reactions: AppleRobert

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
It's....different??

By god the build quality is fantastic and I can't stop looking at the screen as the quality is amazing.

With that being said, I have all the apps from my iPhone installed and now just tweaking things if you will to my liking. I had to install SwiftKey as I didn't care for the Samsung keyboard too much but thats a minor thing.

The OS is going to take some getting used to for sure and looking for a messenger app that will do the screen wake and quick replies like the iPhone has as I really enjoyed that.

Agree on the Samsung keyboard. I replaced it with Gboard and am happy with it.

You can use Glimpse Notifications to wake the screen. I haven't tried it with my S8 but it worked good with my S7.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.nullgrad.glimpse
[doublepost=1493676233][/doublepost]I'm using Nova Launcher to have an iPhone-like launcher setup. Well, technically it's a Pixel-launcher setup, but with these icons it looks kind of like an iPhone setup to me.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/samsung-galaxy-s8.1983854/page-158#post-24518694

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.