Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayIsAwesome

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2013
Texas
And tbh, I don't recommend adding a line for the S8. You'd be better off buying it out right b/c it would be much cheaper. Factor in the device fee (you paying for the phone) + monthly line fee (this is what really gets you) + activation fee and you'll end up paying almost 500 dollars more for the phone than if you just bought it outright and maybe even financed it through Samsung or best buy (no interest for 12 months) Just throwing that out there for those who want the S8 but don't wanna give up the iPhone

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Ahh I see thx for the heads up. Good to know!

Ya, damn iMessage. Thx for warning,...Ya been thinking about how I'll have to deal with all that. Deactivating etc ugh. (If I choose to do this). Hmm. A lot to think about for sure.
Thx a lot for all your help!
Yeah switching and turning iMessage off once is a big enough ordeal without tjrning off and on etc. I just want to say when I switcted from 7+ turning off iMessage and deregistering number took a few days for my texting to be "right." Also, I don't know if applicable to everyone but I had to have Verizon turn on a feature for S8+ native video calling. Had WiFi calling in menus but until I called Verizon couldn't flip on video calling.

Reactions: JBUGGY

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Being a late entrant into this thread, what is a good very slim case for this phone? I apologize if discussed already.

I am tempting to go with a skin as I usually don't put cases on my phones but I had a Peel case on my iPhone and enjoyed it.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yeah switching and turning iMessage off once is a big enough ordeal without tjrning off and on etc. I just want to say when I switcted from 7+ turning off iMessage and deregistering number took a few days for my texting to be "right." Also, I don't know if applicable to everyone but I had to have Verizon turn on a feature for S8+ native video calling. Had WiFi calling in menus but until I called Verizon couldn't flip on video calling.

I just turn off iMessage... Never deregister and it worked for me.

Took my SIM card out of the iPhone and put it in the Galaxy... It worked perfectly. I'd use iMessage with my iPad and it will keep the thread that I previously had with the iPhone.

But putting the SIM card in the Galaxy starts a entirely new thread for those on the receiving in. So, in reality it's a struggle to those receiving texts/MMS. Cause for me.. or even for those who continue to use iMessage the people on the receiving end have to deal with two threads.

Reactions: JBUGGY

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Being a late entrant into this thread, what is a good very slim case for this phone? I apologize if discussed already.

I am tempting to go with a skin as I usually don't put cases on my phones but I had a Peel case on my iPhone and enjoyed it.
Go with the official Samsung clear cover. It blends in with the phone so well.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My return window on my S8 is approaching so the yearly decision is looming. Yes, this is the best Android phone I've ever used, but I'm not sure I will keep it. I like it, but do I $900+ like it when I have a perfect good (and paid off iPhone 7 Plus). I could sell my iPhone and only lose a few hundred bucks but I'm debating if all that hassle is worth it at this time or not. Despite it being the best Android phone I've used, I still feel drawn to my iPhone as I always do. I'm torn. Anyone else torn with the decision?
Well I have both and if it were me I'd pick the iPhone if I could keep just one.

I think the S8+ is way more fun and sexy. But the iPhone 7 Plus is what you have when Apple has had a couple of years to address everything they got wrong with two earlier generations. As far as I'm concerned it's almost perfect so I really look forward to seeing what a 7S Plus would look like. I might almost be tempted to bite for that one but I don't want to get back on the iPhone upgrade merry go round again anytime soon.

The only thing I question is how well it works as an actual phone. My connections can sound murky. But on the S8+ they often sound staticky, so it kinda evens out for me, personally. Nothing beats the connections I get with my HTC 10.

Now the S8+ could be better. They don't have their stuff together with Bixby yet and that could end up an intrusive battery sucking pain in the tail. Or it could get great. All I know is that it's not here yet.

There are quality control variances out the tail feathers among all the different units. I'm too exhausted to list the different issues I've read about but there are clues that this new design needs another generation of refinement to totally kick tail. If your particular phone seems perfect well that's good and does make your choice harder, but take a good look at it and tell me if you think it comes across as a refined design or a work in process.

I love my S8+ but I am anticipating loving the Note 8 even more. If not, the S9 is sure to be a beast unless they do something very HTC-ish and instead of evolving it, try to reinvent it into something weird and unwanted like a device that posts your thoughts directly to FB without the merciful involvement of typing and a mental filter to keep you from posting what you really think of Aunt Augusta's chain mailesque post demanding you like and share or everyone will think you're a heartless sociopath who truly does hate depressed alpacas. And how could anyone hate alpacas? So like and share, dammit!

Damn you, Mark Zuckerberg, keep your grubby paws off my brain. Speaking of my brain, I've clearly lost mine. And seem to have been obsessed with using the word "tail" earlier. I do beg your pardon, I think I was gardening in the heat a bit too long. Have a nice night and keep your iPhone. Revisit the Note 8 with us.

Reactions: blaine07

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
This is the one. What's great about it is that the sides match the color of the phone so you barely realize that a case is on!

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Clear-Protective-Cover/dp/B06XJCDRSX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493689612&sr=8-1&keywords=galaxy+s8++clear+cover

Thanks! Going to try to pick one up tomorrow
[doublepost=1493690624][/doublepost]Continuing my line of questions:

Is there a way to individually mute sounds for notifications to have some make sounds and some not?

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Thanks! Going to try to pick one up tomorrow
[doublepost=1493690624][/doublepost]Continuing my line of questions:

Is there a way to individually mute sounds for notifications to have some make sounds and some not?
Yep....go to settings....then notifications

Snot Rox

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2014
SF Bay Area, CA
The update that fixes the red tint issue is now available from T-Mobile.

Good news is it fixes the red/pink tint around the edges of the screen. But for those who see it uniform around the screen, you'll have to use the adaptive mode to benefit the extra adjustments.

Last edited:

makdeniss

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2011
European Union
My wife and I share an iCloud "Family" calendar, and I use the app "smooth sync for icloud calendar". It'll sync my iCloud calendar to my calendar app on the phone, even let's me make / manage / edit appointments in that calendar.
Thanks I found that app later also. Works great! Now only left to find some sort for notes...

Reactions: co.ag.2005

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta

Good news is it fixes the red/pink tint around the edges of the screen. But for those who see it uniform around the screen, you'll have to use the adaptive mode to benefit the extra adjustments.
That's good to know! Now I wonder how long it will be until the update is pushed out to AT&T. I don't have it uniform around my screen but a very very very slight link hue towards the bottom.

Reactions: 5105973

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US

yep...got it this morning. That was fast...updated even though I didn't have the pink issue.
Love this phone.....been using the iris scanner a lot lately and really like it :)

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
It's....different??

By god the build quality is fantastic and I can't stop looking at the screen as the quality is amazing.

With that being said, I have all the apps from my iPhone installed and now just tweaking things if you will to my liking. I had to install SwiftKey as I didn't care for the Samsung keyboard too much but thats a minor thing.

The OS is going to take some getting used to for sure and looking for a messenger app that will do the screen wake and quick replies like the iPhone has as I really enjoyed that.
Google's GBoard has won me over. It's more accurate and has great Googly search/gifs/translation built in. I bought SwiftKey a few years ago and it's gotten progressively worse (for me).

Reactions: co.ag.2005

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Google's GBoard has won me over. It's more accurate and has great Googly search/gifs/translation built in. I bought SwiftKey a few years ago and it's gotten progressively worse (for me).

Gboard is by a wide margin the best smartphone keyboard. The past year or so in improvements and features have skyrocketed it past Swype and Swiftkey. And it's light years ahead of the iOS keyboard.

Reactions: sman789

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
OMG :(

Yesterday I posted about not sure if I was keeping my S8+ or not and the Samsung Gods must have been listening and cursed me for even thinking such things.

Last night I went to the store late at night to pick up a few quick things. I had on a light jacket with these huge pockets. I usually put my phone in my left front jean pocket but for some reason I remember putting it in my jacket pocket while in the car. They are deep pockets so I was not worried at all. I've put previous phones in this jacket hundreds of times. So I did my shopping, drove home and grabbed my wallet, keys etc out of my jeans and put them away. Then I grabbed into my left front jean pocket and panicked, no phone. Then I remembered it's in my jacket pocket. Whew.

NOTHING in my jacket pocket either. Ok, not totally panicking yet. It probably fell out in the car. Checked the car. Nothing. Checked the driveway nothing. Got back in my car and drove back to Target. Checked in with the front desk asking if anyone found a phone. Nothing. Rewalked my path around target until they closed and then walked the parking lot for another hour. My phone is gone. Here I was 24 hours ago worrying about if I should keep it or not or if I'd rather use that money for something else. Now, I have no money and no phone. It does not show up under Android Device Manager. Well it cannot locate my phone it says. So it's been turned off, broken, or something? Same thing on Samsung Find My Mobile, it cannot locate the device. My guess is someone found it and took it and turned it off. I called it dozens of times and it just goes straight to voicemail. I had notification content hidden so I can't send a text for them to read. Luckily the device is secured using retina and passcode so I'm not worried about that.

I've never even broken a phone really let alone lost one in over a decade of owning smart phones. I'm sick to my stomach knowing I just lost a device I paid $930 for. I will be checking in with my CC company today to see if there's anything that can be done but I used a pretty basic Amazon Visa Card. I am going to go curl up in a corner and cry now. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.