Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I wouldn't say far superior either however you hit the nail on the head for the key difference. I find the option to pay using Apple Pay in quite a few apps and websites. Heck, my monthly lawncare/landscaping invoice sent to me from that business lets me use Apple Pay on their website...pretty cool.

FWIW, I found Apple Pay to be supported by quite a few more banks as well. My daily credit card is issue by JP Morgan Chase, largest bank in the US, and was only just added about 5 months ago. My other credit card is a large regional bank that still hasn't added support yet I can use it on Apple Pay.
That makes sense. Apple Pay is functional with a wider swath of industries than Android. I'd still like to see both gain wider adoption. I can't believe in the age of the new chip cards with the screetching readers that take a year to process people arent preferring to use their phone.

Cancelled
Nov 9, 2012
I meant by actual users of a platform, not the number of messages sent, but admit I phrased myself incorrectly.

There are 4.2 billion people who use text messaging globabbly. If WhatsApp has 700-800 million users, (and many of those still use SMS alongside WhatsApp) it still means there are 3.4 billion others not using it.

To add to what you were saying,each platform is very regional. I don't even know 1 person that uses WhatsApp (I'm in Canada), again, not saying it's not used. My contacts either use : iMessage/Sms/facebook messenger

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
I'm still over here having first world problems trying to decide if I'm going to use this S8+ or iPhone 7 Plus as my daily. This has been the first device in awhile that has had me up in the air.
A good problem to have man. I too came from 7+ that I still have. I know going to my S8+ the two BIG things that worried me were 1- Battery Life and 2- finger print reader.

In regards to battery life it exceeds my expectations. It gets equivalent if not better battery life than 7+ whilst maintaining a MUCH better screen quality. Quite phenomenal it gets the battery life it does. Ive concluded battery life isn't a concern with the S8+. Plus it recharges SO quick when in need of a little juice..

Finger print reader I frequently use but it isn't nearly as big of issue as the media had it being. Yes it most certainly isn't in my personal favorable position but it isn't something I just can't deal with. Combined with lightning quick Iris scanner it hasn't been a problem.

Me personally, I miss my iPhone...but I sure appreciate all Android has to offer. I'm going to likely stick with S8+ but it's a real first world problem for sure

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
A good problem to have man. I too came from 7+ that I still have. I know going to my S8+ the two BIG things that worried me were 1- Battery Life and 2- finger print reader.

In regards to battery life it exceeds my expectations. It gets equivalent if not better battery life than 7+ whilst maintaining a MUCH better screen quality. Quite phenomenal it gets the battery life it does. Ive concluded battery life isn't a concern with the S8+. Plus it recharges SO quick when in need of a little juice..

Finger print reader I frequently use but it isn't nearly as big of issue as the media had it being. Yes it most certainly isn't in my personal favorable position but it isn't something I just can't deal with. Combined with lightning quick Iris scanner it hasn't been a problem.

Me personally, I miss my iPhone...but I sure appreciate all Android has to offer. I'm going to likely stick with S8+ but it's a real first world problem for sure

Yeah that's my exact same issues what I worry about. The fingerprint scanner is way overblown imo. I have been using it just fine and it's kind of a natural feel for the placement. It's the screen alone that blows me away and it's hard to go back to the iPhone. I just love messaging on the iPhone but it's something I can look past. My main Sim card is in my iPhone right now but I'm thinking about swapping sims here in a few. Lol.

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Yeah that's my exact same issues what I worry about. The fingerprint scanner is way overblown imo. I have been using it just fine and it's kind of a natural feel for the placement. It's the screen alone that blows me away and it's hard to go back to the iPhone. I just love messaging on the iPhone but it's something I can look past. My main Sim card is in my iPhone right now but I'm thinking about swapping sims here in a few. Lol.
I hear ya man. Probably biggest thing too I miss, iMessage. Lots of alternatives but getting family.to download anything to accommodate me...facepalm lol. I miss raise to wake too for some silly reason. I realize we have AOD but it just isn't the same. I am astounded at battery life of this S8+...

Edit: I also like being able to "manage my own files" and not restricted on where apple says I can put them. Makes backing up to FTP and NAS SO Much easier!

Last edited:

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I don't blame them. The S8 design and hardware with iOS on it is a dream device for me.

Samsung's version of android is absolutely horrid and prefer stock myself.

Wasn't a knock on the S8 at all as it's an amazing device for a lot of people.
Disagree with you on the new TW...it is sooooo much better than previous versions.
But at least with Android and TW....I can have widgets on my home screen and arrange my icons where ever i see fit :). I can download FREE wallpapers...ringtones....notifications from app like Zedge without having to plug into a computer or use a horrid app like itunes......

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
1 thing we can all agree on; Apple will have a very, very hard job with their new 2017 iPhone, after the release of this new S8/S8+

If Apple think they can just release a 2017 iPhone with just an oled screen and put a €/$ 1000 price tag on it and call it a day, I think even more people will leave the Apple ship. Maybe not your average iPhone user, but def the power users.

They really have to come up with some new useful feautures, besides an oled screen.

Last edited:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Asking out of curiosity: how is Apple Pay far superior when Android Pay is accepted at every store Apple Pay is available? Unless you're referring to in app support that allows it?

I should not have said far superior, that is incorrect . From my personal experience it's the access to the touchid on the iPhone 6S plus that makes it better for me. The S8 had a finger scanner on the front, draw.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Thanks for the reply. I'm using an iPhone 6S right now. Not sure what you mean by "dotty" for the screen. The iPhone 6S screen seems clear to me. My only thing is that I can't afford to just go out and buy a phone. To have both side by side to test would be expensive for me.
I mean text looks less smooth, a bit more jagged. This is not a problem for most people. It probably would even be something I wouldn't notice after awhile.

I couldn't afford to have more than one phone either until last year. I have only about another two years where I can mess around with more than one phone like I am doing now. Then it's back to tight budget, preparing for retirement while having a kid in college 4-5 years and medical expenses our family has that will intensify as our parents need more elder care not covered by health plans.

Can your current phone hold out into the Christmas season? It might be interesting to see what Apple is bringing out. One is going to be a budget buster but there might be updates to the iPhone 7.

I'm going to put the main phone number SIM back into my SE today or tomorrow. I got asked to take on recurring landscaping jobs at my daughter's school going into the summer. Nothing beats the SE for fitting into my pocket for work.

I'm not sure what you're looking for in your next phone but tight budget or not, the SE is a great value for the money. I traded my 6 Plus in and my husband used his business discount so I ended up getting a super deal of about $200 for my 64 GB SE. But if you're tired of the 5s form factor then of course it's a no-go since externally there's no difference.

Oops just reread that you're not on the 5s amymore. Sorry. That's what I get for posting before the caffeine kicks in. Derp
[doublepost=1493645077][/doublepost]
So I made the switch also. Sold my 6s plus and got a s8. Put my apple watch to rest until ios 11 and iphone 8 (hopefully a better phone). So far I am missing a few very needed apps on the android platform and I am quite surprised about the 'this app is not available in your country' thing :mad:

And I have to merge my calendar somehow, because this is quite important. Any hints, guys?

EDIT: Found this: http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-sync-calendar-iphone-android-340386/ doesn't seem to be very hard :)
I had switched to Google for my calendar some time ago so that I could have the same calendar across all of my operating systems.

Reactions: Demo Kit and jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Does anyone have any recommendations for a case for a Midnight Black S8? My Ringke case was good up until I put my screen protector on and then the case started causing the top corner of the protector to peel. I put on some stiff case I got for $.99, but I rather change it up to something that doesn't add bulk and provides some protection and doesn't interfere with my screen protector.
The Samsung silicone case $19 is really nice. From looking at it closely I don't see it really touching my Armorsuit film screen protector, so it's definitely not going to push it up.

That's the purple case in my pictures a page or two back. You can see how it keeps the edges clear but elevates up at the corners where most of the fractures originate during a bad drop that shatters screens. It's very grippy but easy to clean. It's as nice as an Apple silicone case and protects about the same. It might be a tiny bit thicker than the Apple case.

The Armorsuit protector needs maybe about another day to set properly. It adds a little bit of the typical film sparkly effect and does make the screen feel a bit too grippy, so I think some people will be put off by that. And I personally would not use it in the VR. But for VR I'm using my two older Galaxies so I decided to go ahead and put a protector on this one.

Reactions: nviz22

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
So I made the switch also. Sold my 6s plus and got a s8. Put my apple watch to rest until ios 11 and iphone 8 (hopefully a better phone). So far I am missing a few very needed apps on the android platform and I am quite surprised about the 'this app is not available in your country' thing :mad:

And I have to merge my calendar somehow, because this is quite important. Any hints, guys?

EDIT: Found this: http://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-transfer-sync-calendar-iphone-android-340386/ doesn't seem to be very hard :)

My wife and I share an iCloud "Family" calendar, and I use the app "smooth sync for icloud calendar". It'll sync my iCloud calendar to my calendar app on the phone, even let's me make / manage / edit appointments in that calendar.

Reactions: makdeniss

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My Experience so far

Pros:

1. So ordered my S8 + day before launch, got it delivered the next day in an impressive box. Imagine that getting a device on launch day without waiting weeks or months.

3. Screen : zero redness to it, seriously....damn.

Apple is getting absolutely infuriating in their inability to deliver products in a timely manner. My husband had to use his business contact within Apple to scrounge around for a he needed for a business trip. The laptop had been out for about two months or more at that point and was still just about impossible to get. My husband even ended up accepting it in a gold color just to get it in time. Even with the contact's help and connections it was a very near thing. My husband had bought a Surface just in case.

Then when the SE's came out it was the same scramble. We weren't even trying to be early adopters. I really wanted to think it through so it was about a month and a half or two months after the official release and again, we had to speed over to the Apple Store when the contact told my husband the SE's had come in. We wanted rose gold but gladly took space grey since rose gold wasn't available at the time. It was a long while after we got ours that they became readily available.

Then it was iPhone 7 Plus after the Note 7 recall. They weren't available.

Then air pods. My husband has them because of his contact. Now we hear Tim Cook is getting rid of these business manager positions so I guess at some point we lose this precious contact who has also made sure my husband's office was kept supplied with the needed Apple products when online ordering came up dry.

Our Mac desktop is coming up on 4 years old. It was a bit galling to find out its potential replacement will be a panicked afterthought rather than a long planned piece from the fabled pipeline.

Now if the rumors are true about the new iPhone being another rare unicorn release, well frankly I'd be out of patience and interest if I were even considering it in the first place. Which I am not because I'm tired of this crap.

I forgot to mention I was part of that long wait for the first generation Apple Watch. jeez.

Now as for your S8+ screen lacking any red, I am so "jelly". I had to use the slang term because "envious" is actually the grammatically correct choice, but it seems overkill for my actual light-hearted sentiment.

Mine is still very pink on my preferred basic mode and pink edged on Adaptive. When I tilt mine down at an angle I can see my screen looking blue at the top, pink in the middle and almost purple at the bottom. It looks really pretty and matches my case and Samsung theme. :p

But I do think I would prefer an evenly white display from a head on view. I am patiently waiting for the fix. If it fails, I can live with the tint, though. There are some flaws I can't abide but this isn't one of them. I am glad to know, though, that there are flawless displays out there and that you got one of them.

Reactions: MH01 and Aneres11

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
Anyone using Hangouts as a iMessage/facetime replacement? I wonder how it handles media and if it compresses content?

iMessage/FaceTime is the one thing that I always find hard of letting go with iOS.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
1 thing we can all agree on; Apple will have a very, very hard job with their new 2017 iPhone, after the release of this new S8/S8+

If Apple think they can just release a 2017 iPhone with just an oled screen and put a €/$ 1000 price tag on it and call it a day, I think even more people will leave the Apple ship. Maybe not your average iPhone user, but def the power users.

They really have to come up with some new useful feautures, besides an oled screen.

While I agree it's disappointing that Apple doesn't seem to be leapfrogging the technology in any real way and is only, for the most part, playing catch up, I predict it will not be a hard job for them to succeed.

One can't underestimate the branding -- Apple catching up is the big deal. The hype will be real and the success will be sweeping. I don't think they'll lose much in terms of user base; you might be right about the power users though when they see the Note 8, but for the most part, I don't foresee a big change. We've seen it before when Apple finally introduced larger screen options. Didn't people, in fact, migrate back to Apple?

Of course, today's competition is very different. It's clear as day Apple is behind both hardware and software-wise, thanks largely in part to Samsung and the S8.

For Apple's timetable, catching up is a big deal. It will be nuts, especially with the predicted supply constraints and the dated-looking 7S models; everyone is going to want the iPhone 8.

Last edited:

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
My return window on my S8 is approaching so the yearly decision is looming. Yes, this is the best Android phone I've ever used, but I'm not sure I will keep it. I like it, but do I $900+ like it when I have a perfect good (and paid off iPhone 7 Plus). I could sell my iPhone and only lose a few hundred bucks but I'm debating if all that hassle is worth it at this time or not. Despite it being the best Android phone I've used, I still feel drawn to my iPhone as I always do. I'm torn. Anyone else torn with the decision?

Reactions: tbayrgs and HiDEF

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
iMessage/FaceTime is the one thing that I always find hard of letting go with iOS.

Easily the biggest hang up for me when switching. I get the "ewwww, you have the ugly green messages now since you went back to Android". My job is 100% iPhones and it kills me sometimes.

I love dabbling my foot in the Android water once a year. Last year it was the S7E for a month but did not enjoy the experience at all.

This year I was thinking Pixel or giving the S8 another go even with its OS being not to my liking.

I absolutely love most of the hardware of the Android devices over Apple's as they are beautiful, especially Samsung. But man do I miss iMessage and that integration for my ATV and Mac when switching.

Reactions: HiDEF

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
My return window on my S8 is approaching so the yearly decision is looming. Yes, this is the best Android phone I've ever used, but I'm not sure I will keep it. I like it, but do I $900+ like it when I have a perfect good (and paid off iPhone 7 Plus). I could sell my iPhone and only lose a few hundred bucks but I'm debating if all that hassle is worth it at this time or not. Despite it being the best Android phone I've used, I still feel drawn to my iPhone as I always do. I'm torn. Anyone else torn with the decision?
if you feel drawn back to your iphone like always why not just stick with it? Everyone has a preference and yours is probably iphone, nothing wrong with that

Reactions: 5105973

maka344

macrumors 68020
Nov 4, 2009
London, UK
I'm also on the fence about buying the S8 Plus. I am so very bored of the iPhone and iOS - I currently have the iP7 Plus.

I am debating whether I should get the S8+ on an additional line and use two phones?! Does anyone currently do this? I'd be interesting in hearing about experiences. Or, both devices but exchanging SIM cards whenever I decide to swap.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Yep that's currently what I do. I always have 2 lines so I can keep an iPhone on one and Android on the other. I'm torn between the 2 right now as we speak about which phone I'm going to pop my sim in and use as a daily.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
if you feel drawn back to your iphone like always why not just stick with it? Everyone has a preference and yours is probably iphone, nothing wrong with that

I most likely will. However, I think if I stuck with it and made it a couple months I'd be fine. It's just the transition period that's tough. I'm so happy and comfortable with my iPhone that I never make it past that transition window.

Reactions: tbayrgs

AppleMichael

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2015
I most likely will. However, I think if I stuck with it and made it a couple months I'd be fine. It's just the transition period that's tough. I'm so happy and comfortable with my iPhone that I never make it past that transition window.

I know how you feel. The amount of times I have gone to android and then just started using my iPhone again. With that said I have an S8 ordered and I'm going to give it a real try. I hope...

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

You had a perfectly good iPhone 7+ when you got the S8, so what's changed? I think if you can answer that, you'll know what to do.

Based on what you're saying here, I'd recommend returning it. Sounds like you are ultimately happy with your iPhone, so the extra hassle of cost and potentially selling the iPhone (if that was the plan) doesn't sound worth it. Especially if you have legit buyers remorse and just want to get an iPhone again.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Anyone using Hangouts as a iMessage/facetime replacement? I wonder how it handles media and if it compresses content?

I've been using Whatsapp for iMessage / FaceTime replacement. Seems to be working well. I "facetimed" via Whatsapp with my parents yesterday for about an hour so they could see/chat with my 18 month old daughter and it worked just as well as FaceTime did. Also, I think Hangouts is either going away or shifting to more of a business software. So I'm leery of it's future.

Reactions: HiDEF
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.