Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Gboard is by a wide margin the best smartphone keyboard. The past year or so in improvements and features have skyrocketed it past Swype and Swiftkey. And it's light years ahead of the iOS keyboard.

Gave it a try based on the recommendations here and you guys are right! Fantastic keyboard and really feels great.

I am not having much luck with the face recognition or iris scanning but I do wear glasses. I will say the fingerprint scanner is honestly the worst thing about this phone due to the location. Pretty silly design but I am really liking the no home button/under the screen home button thing? It's fantastic.

Reactions: epicrayban

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
OMG :(

Yesterday I posted about not sure if I was keeping my S8+ or not and the Samsung Gods must have been listening and cursed me for even thinking such things.

Last night I went to the store late at night to pick up a few quick things. I had on a light jacket with these huge pockets. I usually put my phone in my left front jean pocket but for some reason I remember putting it in my jacket pocket while in the car. They are deep pockets so I was not worried at all. I've put previous phones in this jacket hundreds of times. So I did my shopping, drove home and grabbed my wallet, keys etc out of my jeans and put them away. Then I grabbed into my left front jean pocket and panicked, no phone. Then I remembered it's in my jacket pocket. Whew.

NOTHING in my jacket pocket either. Ok, not totally panicking yet. It probably fell out in the car. Checked the car. Nothing. Checked the driveway nothing. Got back in my car and drove back to Target. Checked in with the front desk asking if anyone found a phone. Nothing. Rewalked my path around target until they closed and then walked the parking lot for another hour. My phone is gone. Here I was 24 hours ago worrying about if I should keep it or not or if I'd rather use that money for something else. Now, I have no money and no phone. It does not show up under Android Device Manager. Well it cannot locate my phone it says. So it's been turned off, broken, or something? Same thing on Samsung Find My Mobile, it cannot locate the device. My guess is someone found it and took it and turned it off. I called it dozens of times and it just goes straight to voicemail. I had notification content hidden so I can't send a text for them to read. Luckily the device is secured using retina and passcode so I'm not worried about that.

I've never even broken a phone really let alone lost one in over a decade of owning smart phones. I'm sick to my stomach knowing I just lost a device I paid $930 for. I will be checking in with my CC company today to see if there's anything that can be done but I used a pretty basic Amazon Visa Card. I am going to go curl up in a corner and cry now. :(
Oh my God that is horrible. I'm so sorry. My stomach got queasy just as I started to read about you checking your jacket pocket. I lost my wallet many years ago and know that frantic feeling and I lost cash in it and that was back when I was skipping meals to save for a down payment on my car.

I know Apple phones are pretty much rendered unusable these days when lost or stolen. I don't know and I guess I had better find out how to do that to an Android phone. With the password I guess they can't get to your information, but can they simply wipe the phone and slip their own sim in with no consequence?

I wish I could be of help. Please keep us posted on your situation.

Reactions: jamesrick80

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Gboard is by a wide margin the best smartphone keyboard. The past year or so in improvements and features have skyrocketed it past Swype and Swiftkey. And it's light years ahead of the iOS keyboard.
IOS keybaord still does not have swype built in.. 3rd party keyboards are still clunky on IOS as well. I tried using g board on IOS but the stock keyboard would randomly pop up at times.
[doublepost=1493735130][/doublepost]

Yesterday I posted about not sure if I was keeping my S8+ or not and the Samsung Gods must have been listening and cursed me for even thinking such things.

Last night I went to the store late at night to pick up a few quick things. I had on a light jacket with these huge pockets. I usually put my phone in my left front jean pocket but for some reason I remember putting it in my jacket pocket while in the car. They are deep pockets so I was not worried at all. I've put previous phones in this jacket hundreds of times. So I did my shopping, drove home and grabbed my wallet, keys etc out of my jeans and put them away. Then I grabbed into my left front jean pocket and panicked, no phone. Then I remembered it's in my jacket pocket. Whew.

NOTHING in my jacket pocket either. Ok, not totally panicking yet. It probably fell out in the car. Checked the car. Nothing. Checked the driveway nothing. Got back in my car and drove back to Target. Checked in with the front desk asking if anyone found a phone. Nothing. Rewalked my path around target until they closed and then walked the parking lot for another hour. My phone is gone. Here I was 24 hours ago worrying about if I should keep it or not or if I'd rather use that money for something else. Now, I have no money and no phone. It does not show up under Android Device Manager. Well it cannot locate my phone it says. So it's been turned off, broken, or something? Same thing on Samsung Find My Mobile, it cannot locate the device. My guess is someone found it and took it and turned it off. I called it dozens of times and it just goes straight to voicemail. I had notification content hidden so I can't send a text for them to read. Luckily the device is secured using retina and passcode so I'm not worried about that.

I've never even broken a phone really let alone lost one in over a decade of owning smart phones. I'm sick to my stomach knowing I just lost a device I paid $930 for. I will be checking in with my CC company today to see if there's anything that can be done but I used a pretty basic Amazon Visa Card. I am going to go curl up in a corner and cry now. :(
Sorry to hear that and I hope you find it somehow.

Its beyond me why a person would not return someone else's stuff. Absolutely no morals now a days.
I found several phones and I have always given them back to the owner.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
yep...got it this morning. That was fast...updated even though I didn't have the pink issue.
Love this phone.....been using the iris scanner a lot lately and really like it :)
Now my display is distinctly faintly purple. I wish I were kidding. I think it's picking up the color of my case somehow. Oh well it's pretty. I am waiting for the AT&T update.

I'll switch cases on Thursday and see what color display I get. I like this case a lot and don't mind the purple display so I'm not bothering to rush to change anything.

I do think the Note 7 probably had better edges.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Gave it a try based on the recommendations here and you guys are right! Fantastic keyboard and really feels great.

I am not having much luck with the face recognition or iris scanning but I do wear glasses. I will say the fingerprint scanner is honestly the worst thing about this phone due to the location. Pretty silly design but I am really liking the no home button/under the screen home button thing? It's fantastic.
Did you set up the iris scan with glasses off? I uses glasses 25% of the time. My initial set up was without glasses and its scan works for me with glasses and sunglasses on.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Now my display is distinctly faintly purple. I wish I were kidding. I think it's picking up the color of my case somehow. Oh well it's pretty. I am waiting for the AT&T update.

I'll switch cases on Thursday and see what color display I get. I like this case a lot and don't mind the purple display so I'm not bothering to rush to change anything.

I do think the Note 7 probably had better edges.
Did you tweak your color settings to get rid of the pink? Did you change it back to defaults before the update?

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
Did you set up the iris scan with glasses off? I uses glasses 25% of the time. My initial set up was without glasses and its scan works for me with glasses and sunglasses on.

this. I set up iris scanner without glasses and the scanner always works with my glasses on. Very fast. I haven't tried with sunglasses though.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Its beyond me why a person would not return someone else's stuff. Absolutely no morals now a days.
I found several phones and I have always given them back to the owner.

I even asked Target if it was possible to review security footage but it's a no go. For one, I wasn't sure if I even lost it there, then if I did was it in the parking lot or store, then they said I'd need a police report to have it even considered and know the exact location of the crime (which isn't really a crime at the point I lost it).

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008

I did but I think I also am failing on the face scan and I am being prompted to enter the pin or the fingerprint scanner to open.

I am probably doing something wrong on my end.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
How can the IRIS scanner work with sunglasses on?
[doublepost=1493736462][/doublepost]
I even asked Target if it was possible to review security footage but it's a no go. For one, I wasn't sure if I even lost it there, then if I did was it in the parking lot or store, then they said I'd need a police report to have it even considered and know the exact location of the crime (which isn't really a crime at the point I lost it).

Really sorry to hear about your story. Sincerely hope it works out somehow.
[doublepost=1493736568][/doublepost]
IOS keybaord still does not have swype built in.. 3rd party keyboards are still clunky on IOS as well. I tried using g board on IOS but the stock keyboard would randomly pop up at times.

Oh, don't even get me started on iOS' inconsistencies. And yeah, the iOS keyboard is woefully behind. Especially when it comes to one handed typing. It's painfully slow and archaic-feeling.

As for the Samsung keyboard, the only time I ever use it is to type in my WiFi and Google account password when I first set it up. :p

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016

It certainly has more features but for pure typing ease and accuracy, I think iOS and Gboard are neck and neck.

Reactions: MRU and co.ag.2005

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012

Are you absolutely sure you put it in your jacket pocket?

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
It certainly has more features but for pure typing ease and accuracy, I think iOS and Gboard are neck and neck.

On iOS at least, I find the native iOS keyboard to be much more accurate at touch typing than GBoard and like having the predictive field prefill options pop up but otherwise the extra features on GBoard make it feel light years ahead. Heck, we even get a version of 3D Touch cursor navigation that's nearly as good as the native keyboard's 3D Touch navigation and better than the spacebar option on Android. Its swipe style typing is so sorely missed when I switch back to the native iOS keyboard. Being able to actually search for a specific emoji instead of having to first type the word(s) in your message, then switch to the emoji keyboard, is a vastly better implementation as well.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Did you tweak your color settings to get rid of the pink? Did you change it back to defaults before the update?
We don't have the update yet. At&T is slow. I am currently on default settings on Adaptive. I've tried a little bit of everything. My display is currently a blue purple color unless set to 50% brightness. The purple case around it makes it look more so but taking the case off doesn't actually change the color of the display. Setting it to 50% or above doesn't actually change the tint either, but makes it less apparent. As I said, I don't mind. It's only really apparent on pages white backgrounds with text.

Ack, it just occurred to me it could be my screen protector that's giving the bluish purple cast. Displays don't just change color overnight. Yesterday was my first full day using the new Armorsuit. And the day I noticed the purple.

Edit...nope, not the screen protector. Weird. I tweak the color sliders but it doesn't change anything really. I'm looking forward to the update to at least get the edges to match the center and I think that will go a long way to making the display look great. It's probably the edges that throw my perceptions of a tint into overdrive. Vision and color perception is such an individual thing and it's pretty amusing and fascinating what can throw some of us off kilter.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

Sadly, I think the fact that the device could no longer be located with Find my Phone so shortly after losing it indicate it's in someone elses hands and they powered it off to prevent it from being found.

I pulled up the Find my Phone option in Google search and was surprised to see there is no option to be notified when it's found at a later time as exists on Find My iPhone. The loser who kept it has to turn it back on at some point.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
On iOS at least, I find the native iOS keyboard to be much more accurate at touch typing than GBoard and like having the predictive field prefill options pop up but otherwise the extra features on GBoard make it feel light years ahead. Heck, we even get a version of 3D Touch cursor navigation that's nearly as good as the native keyboard's 3D Touch navigation and better than the spacebar option on Android. Its swipe style typing is so sorely missed when I switch back to the native iOS keyboard. Being able to actually search for a specific emoji instead of having to first type the word(s) in your message, then switch to the emoji keyboard, is a vastly better implementation as well.

I agree with all of this, and it helps iOS's cause that literally every 3rd party keyboard is garbage because of the way Apple implements that feature. Which is to say it's janky as sh*t.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

I'd say I'm like 95% sure. I recall doing it in the car because I checked something just before taking off. There's a very small chance I was remembering doing this another time but I'm almost certain. But yeah, it would still have been on and able to be located remotely if I just misplaced it. And it would have rang when I called it.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
i found I can type much faster on the iOS keyboard than the GBoard but thats after years on iOS and a day on gboard. :)

I am really enjoying it but I do miss the iOS emojis and the newest implementations of GIFs to easily send those. I heard GBoard can do that as well but still experimenting.
[doublepost=1493739572][/doublepost]Does this device have double tap to turn the device off and back to the always on screen?

Reactions: tbayrgs

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
Samsung sent an update for the red screen tint issues and some performance issues to the tmobile s8/s8+ customers this morning. There are some people on this forum who really do not know how much Samsung actually does care for its customers especially when problems such as the red screen tint issues exist. I did not truly have the issue but did notice a slightly red tint on the top edge of screen which is now completely gone due to this "software" update (emphasis on "software" because its not a hardware issue at all).

Due to the new update, all has been truly fixed. Not only has Samsung allowed you to adjust the color temperature of the edges but they have also allowed you to customize your screen to a cooler or warmer screen to your liking. After making my own customized adjustments to the screen, I now have the official best screen on a mobile device I have ever laid my eyes on. You have a choice of a cooler or warmer display. You have a choice of adjusting the edges to remove red tints if you have those. You have a choice to reduce red/blue/green color saturations. You have a choice of adaptive mode, cinema mode, or photo/rgb mode.

Ultimately, Samsung gives you the choice and pays attention to a customer's true issues. Therefore, I appreciate them as a company. You are not forced to have a yellow screen or the lcd touch disease like some Apple fanboys as well. You simply have a "choice" of having that warmer (yellow) or cooler (blue) with samsung or the best of both worlds (mixed). Thank you...Samsung!!!!!

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'd say I'm like 95% sure. I recall doing it in the car because I checked something just before taking off. There's a very small chance I was remembering doing this another time but I'm almost certain. But yeah, it would still have been on and able to be located remotely if I just misplaced it. And it would have rang when I called it.
Jeez that person must not give two cares about the concept of karma. I have to go to "work" (hard physical labor at the school gardens for which I am not getting paid, hence the quotation marks) so I don't have time to do it now but I'll try and research how to make the S8 as protected as an iPhone when it gets lost. We should all know how to do that. If it's possible. If I come across anything that can help you out despite the loss already taking place I'll post.

If you have the IMEI number I guess you should report the loss to the police. I know nothing about this but they could tell you if that helps in logging it as stolen property in case the person who has it tries to resell it. But first turn your home and car and all your pockets and cases inside out in case you had a brain fart and misplaced it. I had thought since October that my Apple Watch had been left behind and taken on a trip but it turned up wedged inside something else in my purse.

I know the phones I bought through AT&T have theft insurance on them but I'm on my own with these that I got from Samsung directly.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

Oh ....

Really sorry you must be gutted.

Reactions: 5105973

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

I find autocorrect on iOS still to be the best of all devices that i have used personally. As with everything YMMV as we all type differently, have patterns of grammar and spelling that are our own traits when it comes to language input.

Last edited:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I find autocorrect on iOS still to be the best of all devices that personally. As with all apps YMMV as we all type differently, have patterns of grammar and spelling that are our own traits when it comes to language input.

Yeah, my feelings as well. Leaves me utterly torn as to which keyboard to use. I love the extra features found on GBoard and swipe typing is a must have for me for one-handed use but I'm so much more accurate touch typing on iOS and I honestly haven't exactly figured out why since the layouts and key positions are about identical. For the time being, I'm sticking with GBoard as having a good swipe typing option is really the determining factor.

Last edited:
Reactions: MRU

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
did you buy through samsung if so you have there insurance free for the first month.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.