Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands
isn't the GBoard a huge battery drainer?

At the moment I am using stock Samsung keyboard.

I thought I read some horror stories about GBoard draining the battery, more then SwiftKey and/or stock Samsung.

Anyone?

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
isn't the GBoard a huge battery drainer?

At the moment I am using stock Samsung keyboard.

I thought I read some horror stories about GBoard draining the battery, more then SwiftKey and/or stock Samsung.

Anyone?

According to my phone, it uses about .05% an hour.

Reactions: Geert76

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
for some reason i thought it did, but i can not see anywhere that it does, how about your home owners insurance. I know mine has a rider for lap tops and mobil devices

I'm a renter but I'll look into my renter's insurance. I'm not too confident though since it's only costing me a couple hundred bucks a year.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
I'm a renter but I'll look into my renter's insurance. I'm not too confident though since it's only costing me a couple hundred bucks a year.
Good luck, i feel your pain buddy. We had went to a cash envelope budget method and like a dummy i left the envelops in a grocery cart after i loaded my van with groceries. I realized what i had done about halfway home and went back but it was all gone.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Good luck, i feel your pain buddy. We had went to a cash envelope budget method and like a dummy i left the envelops in a grocery cart after i loaded my van with groceries. I realized what i had done about halfway home and went back but it was all gone.

Thanks. Yeah it's just about the worst feeling in the world to practically flush $1000 down the toilet (in my case). I officially hate people even more after this. Thing is I doubt a "criminal" found it. It was most likely a normal person who decided to take advantage of the situation and they are now a criminal possibly. I called the local PD and they said no police report since it's not really stolen. But they took my info in case they get a phone turned into the lost and found.

Reactions: MRU

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Is there a way to have messages from the S8 come to my Mac like iMessage used to? I miss replying to text from my laptop during my workday since 90% of it is done on my laptop.

Reactions: nj1266

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Oh my God that is horrible. I'm so sorry. My stomach got queasy just as I started to read about you checking your jacket pocket. I lost my wallet many years ago and know that frantic feeling and I lost cash in it and that was back when I was skipping meals to save for a down payment on my car.

I know Apple phones are pretty much rendered unusable these days when lost or stolen. I don't know and I guess I had better find out how to do that to an Android phone. With the password I guess they can't get to your information, but can they simply wipe the phone and slip their own sim in with no consequence?

I wish I could be of help. Please keep us posted on your situation.

Android has two two security measures ......

1. Secure start up. The phone will not boot up into Android OS after a restart unless you know the password. This must be enable within settings. I forgot if it's enabled my default on the S8.

2. You can use Android Manager to remotely erase any Android device to factory default. It will not allow you to set up the device until you log-in with the same Google account. Even if the device is offline, as soon as it's online it will start the erasing procedure.

The only bad thing would be is if you kept sensitive info within your Storage Card.
[doublepost=1493748513][/doublepost]
Is there a way to have messages from the S8 come to my Mac like iMessage used to? I miss replying to text from my laptop during my workday since 90% of it is done on my laptop.

I use Side Sync for that. Mighty Text is also good, but that's only within a browser.

There is no known option as good as iMessage though.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Quick stuff I found on break--sorry don't have time to vet all this info at the moment and some of it might be outdated:

This from a week ago https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/General-Discussion/stolen-phone/td-p/93694

http://www.wisegeek.org/what-should-i-do-if-my-cell-phone-is-stolen.htm

http://mobileantitheft.com/

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2423375,00.asp#disqus_thread

So so very sorry you're going through this. Damn. I wish it had fallen into more ethical hands. I've found phones lots of times and I've seen other people in public places find phones and purses and I saw in those cases that we all turn them in. My parents found a purse full of about a thousand dollars in cash they turned in to the bank I once worked at since it was lost at the parking lot. There are good people out there. But there are some real stinkers. My husband lost a cell phone in NYC years ago that he loved and he called the number and some lowlife just snarled at him. The feeling of wanting to put a karma curse (not that there is such a thing, unfortunately) on people like that never goes away.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I use Side Sync for that. Mighty Text is also good, but that's only within a browser.

Excellent, thank you!!

Thank you to all of you for a new Android adopter and my annoying questions

Reactions: HiDEF

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Android has two two security measures ......

1. Secure start up. The phone will not boot up into Android OS after a restart unless you know the password. This must be enable within settings. I forgot if it's enabled my default on the S8.

2. You can use Android Manager to remotely erase any Android device to factory default. It will not allow you to set up the device until you log-in with the same Google account. Even if the device is offline, as soon as it's online it will start the erasing procedure.

The only bad thing would be is if you kept sensitive info within your Storage Card.
[doublepost=1493748513][/doublepost]

I just downloaded side sync to give it a try.

You SD card would be ok if you had it encrypted (assuming you had the others in place to secure the phone itself).
[doublepost=1493749361][/doublepost]
I bought through T-Mobile. Does the Samsung insurance cover losing the phone?
youre not on the Jump program are you?

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles

WhatsApp gives you full functionality on your Mac like imessages net based messages

For sms and you can run Cortana inside parallels which works with your Cortana on your phone to give instant notifications, alarms, appointments including missed calls etc, but replying is not as easy as on IOS but possible

I only use Cortana for the notifications part with my laptops with multiple phones and you can pick and choose which apps :)

Last edited:

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Let me get this right.

Samsung Pay REWARDS you everytime you use it with points and links to gift cards and promotions?

I used ApplePay all the time and have been reading that Samsung Pay is even better and more accepted. Excited to see how this pans out.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Fly on a tree....he was moving around from sunlight to the shadows.

Point and shoot no editing....

a931eba7b525021189665b5d9129f28f.jpg
c41b5ba12fadde1ca0b41af3d727d36a.jpg
f3b72edefc4dfc1d991c66722cf20da3.jpg

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Just downloaded a new keyboard I found called 'flexy' for my S8. I really like it. Buttons are nice and big and it has some things built in like swipe back to delete the word found in BlackBerry's keyboard.

Quite impressive indeed.

Reactions: jamezr

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
I find autocorrect on iOS still to be the best of all devices that i have used personally. As with everything YMMV as we all type differently, have patterns of grammar and spelling that are our own traits when it comes to language input.

Agreed...except when it comes to profanity. I don't understand why iOS is sooo resistant to profanity. "duck" shouldn't still be a thing when I've been typing on the same ducking keyboard for 6 months. ;)

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
It uses an infra red camera and amazingly worked for me with sunglasses on too - I was pretty surprised but happy:)

Ah, I did not know it could work that way. Sounds amazing. I can't wait to get my hands on the unlocked S8...

Business Insider is reporting that the iPhone 8 could be delayed until early 2018 in part due to difficulty with new technology -- I wonder if this means the FPS under the display. If this story proves true, the iPhone 8 will be competing with the S9 more than the S8; will Samsung figure out FPS under the display by then with either the Note 8 or S9?

It'll be interesting to see how this plays out. Either way, I'm glad Samsung didn't rush it into the S8, especially if facial and IRIS unlock sound so promising and have reviewed so well. And personally, from my hands-on with the S8, I don't even have much issue with the FPS location. It's not ideal, but it's not impossible to use either. It's a better decision than rushing a front FPS under the display if it wasn't ready. A Samsung from a few years ago may have made that decision differently than the Samsung of today.

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Let me get this right.

Samsung Pay REWARDS you everytime you use it with points and links to gift cards and promotions?

I used ApplePay all the time and have been reading that Samsung Pay is even better and more accepted. Excited to see how this pans out.

Yeah, the more times you use SPay during the month, the more bonus points you earn per dollar spent. You can then use those points to redeem for gift cards or try your luck with the instant wins.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Putting a case on it leaves the indentation on the back of the phone. That makes it that much easier to find coming in with your finger from the left side. I bought a case for protection in cases I would I rather not go naked.

I fumbled a bit finding the fps in the beginning when I first bought the case but not anymore. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.