Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Both are 2.7in wide but s8+ is 0.8in taller. In terms of screen area s8+ is bigger by about 20%

I think it's mainly due to the 18.5:9 aspect ratio more than anything. There's just about the exact same screen area on the regular S8 as a 16:9 5.5" 7 Plus, but the Plus is easier to type on because of the width the different aspect ratio gives you.

Reactions: Geert76

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I think it's mainly due to the 18.5:9 aspect ratio more than anything. There's just about the exact same screen area on the regular S8 as a 16:9 5.5" 7 Plus, but the Plus is easier to type on because of the width the different aspect ratio gives you.
I did not like typing on the S8 when I tried it out. Compared to my 7 Plus the screen is way too narrow. The S8 Plus on the other hand is fine.

Reactions: Jetcat3

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
I did not like typing on the S8 when I tried it out. Compared to my 7 Plus the screen is way too narrow. The S8 Plus on the other hand is fine.

The 7+ width is only 0.2in more than s8. It is not that much. Maybe the s8 0.4in taller screen created the illusion that it is narrower than it is.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
The 7+ width is only 0.2in more than s8. It is not that much. Maybe the s8 0.4in taller screen created the illusion that it is narrower than it is.
Its only 0.2in but you can definitely feel it when typing. As for the illusion I think it does make it seem narrower. I remember feeling the iPhone 5 was narrower than the 4S due to screen being taller.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
Does anyone know what I'd miss out on by buying an international version of the S8+ to use on T-Mobile? I seem to recall Samsung pay may not work, VoLTE may not work, and WiFi calling may not work. The only one that would bother me is VoLTE but I recall this one may have been available on the S7 international version on T-Mobile.

Not that I want to spend $900 on another phone after having just lost one, but let's just say I have an awesome wife. :)

XDA eventually got VoLTE and Wifi calling working on the international S7. I assume they'll be able to figure out how to do it on the S8 as well.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
The pop up text bubbles no longer work on my unit for some reason. I looked at my texting settings, all the appropriate boxes are checked. I've restarted the phone. Nuttin.

This isn't a big deal but a tiny bit annoying.

Nikhil72

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2005
Yes, correct.

The 7+ is a wider device which makes for a more comfortable typing experience at least for me. I feel the keyboards that I have tried and my speed and accuracy is really low on the S8+ compared to the 7+.

Take that with a grain of salt though after 2 days and still getting used to the device and trying multiple keyboards.

Returned my S8 but I can't figure out if it was the width relative to the 7+ or the keyboard itself (Gboard vs stock iOS) that was driving me crazy with typing.

Also an interesting observation. I have large hands, relatively little difficulty one handing the 7+. When trying to one hand the S8, it's narrowness sometimes required my cramping my fingers more which was somewhat uncomfortable.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
The pop up text bubbles no longer work on my unit for some reason. I looked at my texting settings, all the appropriate boxes are checked. I've restarted the phone. Nuttin.

This isn't a big deal but a tiny bit annoying.
Do you have Edge lighting on or off? I noticed when I turned the Edge lighting on, the text bubbles started appearing then when I turned it off they no longer popped up.

Reactions: widgeteer

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Does anyone know what I'd miss out on by buying an international version of the S8+ to use on T-Mobile? I seem to recall Samsung pay may not work, VoLTE may not work, and WiFi calling may not work. The only one that would bother me is VoLTE but I recall this one may have been available on the S7 international version on T-Mobile.

Not that I want to spend $900 on another phone after having just lost one, but let's just say I have an awesome wife. :)
Do you mean an international version or an unlocked US version as one (ie US) is likely to be less problematic as I suspect Samsung Pay will work out of the box and better compatibility possible with US carriers

I have the international version which is Dual Sim (Duos) so there is some gains :) and I suspect XDA will sus how to get around CSC codes on Samsung pay and other issues for US users

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
So for those of you who have Google Play Music streaming accounts but hate the interface of Google Music for your library, I discovered that Music Mate is now on the Play Store again. It basically let's you save your library for offline listening using Samsung Music or other music players.

I haven't decided if I really want to manage two music players or not. I thought about maybe using Google Play to discover new music (and gladly pay the fee) and then just download everything using music mate. Google Play's interface isn't THAT bad but it does involve a lot of clicks just to get to your library (specifically when you want to play a certain album).

Reactions: 5105973

noobinator

macrumors 604
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Do you mean an international version or an unlocked US version as one (ie US) is likely to be less problematic as I suspect Samsung Pay will work out of the box and better compatibility possible with US carriers

I have the international version which is Dual Sim (Duos) so there is some gains :) and I suspect XDA will sus how to get around CSC codes on Samsung pay and other issues for US users

International version to get the exynos processor. I'm fine without Samsung Pay. I might miss VoLTE though.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
How do you save credit cards on Samsung web app like safari does?
When buying online through the Samsung internet app.
Thx

I think it's in the browser settings and then auto fill.

Edit: Also, not to continue to be controversial, I think I like Samsung's browser more than Chrome. Still not liking their keyboard any time I try it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5105973 and Geert76

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I agree. The Samsung browser blows away chrome in my humble opinion.

Umm.. I wouldn't go as far as to say it blows Chrome away.

What sets Samsung Browser apart is that they borrow what makes iOS Safari great which is ad blocking. And I'd go as far as to say adding bookmarks to quick access is iOS-like.

I still use Chrome sometimes though.. due to their syncing across multiple devices.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
International version to get the exynos processor. I'm fine without Samsung Pay. I might miss VoLTE though.
I think the Samsung Pay issue will be resolved I already posted a supposed solution done by someone already and have a query in with tech support myself having got it working already I want to add a card from another country

lazard

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2012
I think it's in the browser settings and then auto fill.

Edit: Also, not to continue to be controversial, I think I like Samsung's browser more than Chrome. Still not liking their keyboard any time I try it.

You should try their Internet Beta, even better than stock version.

Jetcat3

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2015
Hey y'all,

So I sold my MacBook...and bought a Galaxy S8. I absolutely love smartphones and have owned all iPhone since the 4s. I have the 7 Plus now, and I really wanted an S8 to use for fun.

I used an S7 Edge for a couple of weeks last summer and while I was amazed by the display quality and parts of the design, it was my first exposure to Android. There were parts I liked and parts I didn't like.

But this phone, oh boy. It feels like I'm holding the future in my hands. Its different than the S7 Edge in all of the right ways. It's NUTS! The display is just crazy. I'm kind of a pixel junkie and I've just never seen anything like this AMOLED panel. The best, hands down. Now is it THAT much better than the 7 Plus (most color accurate mobile display ever tested)? I don't think so. But it's sure amazing at times. Using the S8 tonight was unreal as you really get to see the true blacks and amazing color. I watched a 4K HDR trailer and was just flabbergasted!

Anyways, I may switch my SIM card in the S8 and see how it goes week to week. Right now my daily driver is the 7 Plus, but man does Apple have a fight on their hands. The Galaxy S8 is by far the most amazing smartphone money can by, but I'm still excited to seen what Apple does with the 8 because there's no denying the speed and fluidity of iOS in my opinion. If only the Galaxy S8 ran iOS 10 paired with the A10 chip and 3GB's of ram! That would be my dream phone right there y'all.

nj1266

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Is there a way to have messages from the S8 come to my Mac like iMessage used to? I miss replying to text from my laptop during my workday since 90% of it is done on my laptop.

That is what keeps me in the Apple ecosystem, the fluid integration of all my devices. I even set-up my work iMac desktop to answer calls that come through my phone and to use wifi calling as well as reply to texts even from Android phones. All my idevices are integrated together. That is the main reason I stay with Apple. Otherwise, I would have left a while back.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
That is what keeps me in the Apple ecosystem, the fluid integration of all my devices. I even set-up my work iMac desktop to answer calls that come through my phone and to use wifi calling as well as reply to texts even from Android phones. All my idevices are integrated together. That is the main reason I stay with Apple. Otherwise, I would have left a while back.

I am with you as that is my favorite thing about Apple yet I felt I was compromising my phone experience and wanted to try something new after all these years.

I've dabbled in Android before but nothing ever kept me there and I went back to Apple almost instantly. I am not being consumed by hype, swayed by advertising, or blinded by a screen but this device is one of the best phones i have ever used with minimal cons about it.

I am blown away by little things I find daily about it, the way it presents certain things versus how Apple does it, and the flexibility it offers.

I am hoping Apple blows me away and brings something to table to at least be comparable but time will tell.

Reactions: Jetcat3 and 5105973

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011

Pushbullet, yeppy (i think it's called), airdroid, mighty text, pulse...there are several options.

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2102552/android/4-android-apps-that-put-sms-on-your-desktop.html

-just installed and setup pulse. This seems like the best alternative I have seen. The only downside would be the need to use a web browser on an iPad. Beyond that, it looks and works great.

Last edited:

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I am with you as that is my favorite thing about Apple yet I felt I was compromising my phone experience and wanted to try something new after all these years.

I've dabbled in Android before but nothing ever kept me there and I went back to Apple almost instantly. I am not being consumed by hype, swayed by advertising, or blinded by a screen but this device is one of the best phones i have ever used with minimal cons about it.

I am blown away by little things I find daily about it, the way it presents certain things versus how Apple does it, and the flexibility it offers.

I am hoping Apple blows me away and brings something to table to at least be comparable but time will tell.
Can you give some examples of this? I'm just genuinely interested/curious.
[doublepost=1493905504][/doublepost]
Pushbullet, yeppy (i think it's called), airdroid, mighty text, pulse...there are several options.

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2102552/android/4-android-apps-that-put-sms-on-your-desktop.html
There are options for sure, but Apple's solution requires no downloading of anything and minimal to no set up.
Its jut easier overall.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Quick question. I purchased the S8+ from my local carrier on April 27th. It wasn't a pre-order. Do I have the ability to sign up for any Samsung promotions like free VR or anything like that? They have a new promo going on now and I'm feeling kind of screwed on the promotion side.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.