Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
Same here...I ahve the 7+ and S8+ and the battery life has been great on the S8+....I am getting about the same as you...anywhere between 6.5 and 8 hours SOT on the SD835. I use battery optimization and have my display at just under 50%. If i am working from home and on WiFi ....i could go a day and half without charging.....same as my 7+
Yep. Same exact experience here. My #1 issue with Android has always been the battery life concern, but I'm not worried at all with this one. Whether it be software optimzations Samsung has done, or the SD835 efficiency, I'm thoroughly impressed.

DaveOP

macrumors 68000
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
Has anyone figured out how to turn off texts showing up as emails as well? When I get a text it also goes to my work email box. I need to shut that off.

Make sure "Sync Message" is turned off in your Exchange settings on the phone. This is what causes that. You can leave Contacts/Calendars/Tasks on.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
Galaxy owners.. what email client you use?

I use Inbox for my main account, and Samsung's Email app for my secondary account.

The Outlook app has also improved a lot so I use that for my Microsoft email account.

=============

As for my willpower... I may have an exceptional deal for an S8 on the cards tomorrow :D

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Make sure "Sync Message" is turned off in your Exchange settings on the phone. This is what causes that. You can leave Contacts/Calendars/Tasks on.

I think that did it! It's been driving me crazy. Thanks!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Are you guys getting the awesome 7h and up Screen On time using the International Exynos version, or do the SD835 also get great battery life ?

I might ditch my iPhone 7 Plus, only reason stayed with 7+ was for the great battery life, but if the S8+ can match or best it, then I'm all in.

I have a 7+ and S8+ and its about the same in my usage, perhaps tiny advantage to iPhone, but if I have to resort to battery saving settings the S8 can last a hell of a long time on 10% left.
[doublepost=1493929172][/doublepost]
Returned my S8 but I can't figure out if it was the width relative to the 7+ or the keyboard itself (Gboard vs stock iOS) that was driving me crazy with typing.

Also an interesting observation. I have large hands, relatively little difficulty one handing the 7+. When trying to one hand the S8, it's narrowness sometimes required my cramping my fingers more which was somewhat uncomfortable.

I know exactly what you mean. I had the same reaction initially and considered returning the S8+. Then I remembered I purchased SwiftKey when I had an S6. And it rectified the feeling you're referring to immediately. I upped the keyboard size and its equal or faster than using the iPhone keyboard on my iPhone 7+.

SwiftKey swiping and predictive are amazing. Autocorrect is similar in regular usage but SwiftKey learns your style faster.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012

This reviewer says the regular S8 only gets like 3.5h to 4h Screen On time, and the S8+ only a half hour better, and overall says it's a great phone, but that both have poor battery life.

I am confused, because I read all the people here, saying their S8+ is getting them easily 6h Screen On time, and a lot of people getting even 7h and better.

Which is true ?

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I'm getting decent battery life. At work I have terrible reception because of the building, so naturally battery life will suffer. On weekends when I'm home or out, I can easily get 5 to 6hrs SOT with normal use.

Edit: I'm home from work and I have 47mins of sot at 79% not good.

Edit 2: I also have wifi, wifi calling, NFC, Bluetooth on and my brightness is about 50%.

Last edited:

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

This reviewer says the regular S8 only gets like 3.5h to 4h Screen On time, and the S8+ only a half hour better, and overall says it's a great phone, but that both have poor battery life.

I am confused, because I read all the people here, saying their S8+ is getting them easily 6h Screen On time, and a lot of people getting even 7h and better.

Which is true ?

Could be both. Screen time has a lot of variables that means one person could get four and another six without either lying.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I know there's a few former Note 7 users posting in this thread. How does the S8/+ experience compare to the Note? Really thinking about pulling the trigger on an s8+ based on my Note 7 experience I loved that phone. Do you find that the lack of S pen features really changes the experience?

HiDEF

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2010
Miami, FL
I know there's a few former Note 7 users posting in this thread. How does the S8/+ experience compare to the Note? Really thinking about pulling the trigger on an s8+ based on my Note 7 experience I loved that phone. Do you find that the lack of S pen features really changes the experience?
Just about the same experience except no s-pen. And the OS has improved significantly I would say.

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017

Which is true ?
Co-worker of mine just got an S8, and he has to charge it before the end of the day. My IP7+ kills my s7 edge in battery life, and his s8.

Reactions: Pd1987

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013

Which is true ?
All I can do is show you my screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170504-191815.png
    Screenshot_20170504-191815.png
    52.7 KB · Views: 125
  • Screenshot_20170504-191809.png
    Screenshot_20170504-191809.png
    131.2 KB · Views: 123

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Which is true ?

People share screenshots through Imgur or attachments. If they show 6 SOT, it's very possible. SOT is overrated imo. I am not looking to stare at my phone screen for 6 hrs per day. As long as I have juice from start to finish with my daily load, that's all that should matter. I have tons of options to extend my juice. I think the more I read into that stuff, the less likely I can enjoy product purchases, especially Android since nothing I have used will live up to the iPhone Wi-Fi stand-by time.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It's better than my Note 7. It hasn't gotten hot even once yet, just a bit warm charging on the puck sometimes. I get insane battery life some days, some days very good, it varies according to where I am and how strong the signal is and how bright I have to have the display. I find auto brightness works nicely.

Don't laugh, after me and some other guy got into it on this thread over me saying I couldn't get the fingerprint sensor to read my prints and him saying I was full of it because his works fine, mine stopped giving me trouble and it won't fail me even if I just took a long shower and got wrinkled prints. And I actually prefer it right where it is. I almost never touch the lens, but I do have small fingers. Now it feels awkward to be unlocking my iPhone on the bottom front. I don't know why I had so much trouble with it the first couple of days. I could reach it fine right from the start. All I know is it works great now. If it is flat on the table I use my passcode. If the Note 8 puts the sensor back down front it will take some getting used to again!

I can't imagine going back to Note 7 bezels. That was a beautiful phone and I did kind of like the edges on it a little better than I do the S8+. But the bigger display on this phone pulls me in.

The S8+ flies. My husband got some lag on the Note 7 sometimes because he loaded lots of apps and does way more on his phone than I do. He says so far he doesn't get lag on the S8+ and he is actually trying to push it.

But I do itch to use an S Pen on this phone so bad. I can't lie, I want the Note 8 when it comes out. The S Pen is the thing that's missing for me. I would also like a dual camera if they make one. But it's not a deal breaker. Now for me the use case is I was doing some art work on the Note 7. And I did sometimes scribble notes on it and use the S Pen to make gifs. However if my husband decides to tell me there is no budget for a Note 8 for Christmas and I have to keep with the S8+, I will be just fine. Only you can tell us how much you need that pen and what you were using it for. There were times I forgot it was there, if I wasn't thinking about drawing.

You're gonna go nuts if you get this phone. You can customize so much. It breaks my brain. All the sound customization options we had on the Note 7 are here and depending on what earbuds or headphones you're using they can do a lot to customize your sound.

Yeah all is forgiven on the Note 7 due to this phone. And I'm one of the unlucky ones with pink edges on my display. Still. AT&T get on with it, man. It's still a great display though. Just a bit colorful on this forum and Kindle if I use white colored pages.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
It's better than my Note 7. It hasn't gotten hot even once yet, just a bit warm charging on the puck sometimes. I get insane battery life some days, some days very good, it varies according to where I am and how strong the signal is and how bright I have to have the display. I find auto brightness works nicely.

Don't laugh, after me and some other guy got into it on this thread over me saying I couldn't get the fingerprint sensor to read my prints and him saying I was full of it because his works fine, mine stopped giving me trouble and it won't fail me even if I just took a long shower and got wrinkled prints. And I actually prefer it right where it is. I almost never touch the lens, but I do have small fingers. Now it feels awkward to be unlocking my iPhone on the bottom front. I don't know why I had so much trouble with it the first couple of days. I could reach it fine right from the start. All I know is it works great now. If it is flat on the table I use my passcode. If the Note 8 puts the sensor back down front it will take some getting used to again!

I can't imagine going back to Note 7 bezels. That was a beautiful phone and I did kind of like the edges on it a little better than I do the S8+. But the bigger display on this phone pulls me in.

The S8+ flies. My husband got some lag on the Note 7 sometimes because he loaded lots of apps and does way more on his phone than I do. He says so far he doesn't get lag on the S8+ and he is actually trying to push it.

But I do itch to use an S Pen on this phone so bad. I can't lie, I want the Note 8 when it comes out. The S Pen is the thing that's missing for me. I would also like a dual camera if they make one. But it's not a deal breaker. Now for me the use case is I was doing some art work on the Note 7. And I did sometimes scribble notes on it and use the S Pen to make gifs. However if my husband decides to tell me there is no budget for a Note 8 for Christmas and I have to keep with the S8+, I will be just fine. Only you can tell us how much you need that pen and what you were using it for. There were times I forgot it was there, if I wasn't thinking about drawing.

You're gonna go nuts if you get this phone. You can customize so much. It breaks my brain. All the sound customization options we had on the Note 7 are here and depending on what earbuds or headphones you're using they can do a lot to customize your sound.

Yeah all is forgiven on the Note 7 due to this phone. And I'm one of the unlucky ones with pink edges on my display. Still. AT&T get on with it, man. It's still a great display though. Just a bit colorful on this forum and Kindle if I use white colored pages.
I never really used the Pen for much but I really liked having it for some reason. Like being able to cut out a piece of the screen and send it to someone using the spen. Note felt so good in hand too. Have a feeling the S8+ is in my future at least for a test drive

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I never really used the Pen for much but I really liked having it for some reason. Like being able to cut out a piece of the screen and send it to someone using the spen. Note felt so good in hand too. Have a feeling the S8+ is in my future at least for a test drive
You can still do that on the S8/8+ there is a whole edge screen dedicated to lassos to let you do that. You have to use your fingers or one of those touch screen pencils, which I have but isn't anything near as precise or capable as an S-Pen. I got it as a free gift for ordering a cheap case for my iPhone SE.

Reactions: bgro

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Literally would be the highest joke ever if it was not extended to the UK.

In fact, I'd feel a rage tweet coming on if that was the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.