Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
You can still do that on the S8/8+ there is a whole edge screen dedicated to lassos to let you do that. You have to use your fingers or one of those touch screen pencils, which I have but isn't anything near as precise or capable as an S-Pen. I got it as a free gift for ordering a cheap case for my iPhone SE.
Didn't know that..thanks! Makes me want one even more

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Didn't know that..thanks! Makes me want one even more
[doublepost=1494006970][/doublepost] Screenshot_20170505-135238.png
This is a screen capture of what it looks like. It's found set up as a default Edge screen if you enable Edges.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
That kind of sucks for us that didn't pre-order and bought it the week after. I might email Samsung and complain and see if I can get anything.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Not Impressed...
https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-s8+/how-to/impressed-t3594282

Read this thread, 10 pages long, and seems like half the people especially SD835 versions, do indeed have stutter, lag, etc... like I've always said Galaxy phones have, and it has not gone away, not even on the S8.

I was seriously thinking of trading in my iPhone 7 Plus and going back to Android, and why not get the latest and greatest newest Android phone in the Galaxy S8+. But sounds like it's still the same old Touchwiz, yes it has been greatly improved, but still not on par with Nexus / Pixel like stock Android smoothness, or iOS smoothness yet. With all the money and smart engineering team working at Samsung, they have yet to make Touchwiz or whatever they call the Galaxy UI, as smooth as stock Android on a Pixel ? WTF

[doublepost=1494016213][/doublepost]https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...iny-new-hardware-meets-old-software-habits/5/

Read this entire article too, they say the same thing, miscrostutter is alive and well, and till noticeable on the S8.

Last edited:

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Not Impressed...

Read this thread, 10 pages long, and seems like half the people especially SD835 versions, do indeed have stutter, lag, etc... like I've always said Galaxy phones have, and it has not gone away, not even on the S8.

I was seriously thinking of trading in my iPhone 7 Plus and going back to Android, and why not get the latest and greatest newest Android phone in the Galaxy S8+. But sounds like it's still the same old Touchwiz, yes it has been greatly improved, but still not on par with Nexus / Pixel like stock Android smoothness, or iOS smoothness yet.
[doublepost=1494016213][/doublepost]https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...iny-new-hardware-meets-old-software-habits/5/

Read this entire article too, they say the same thing, miscrostutter is alive and well, and till noticeable on the S8.

Nah. If that were so I would have taken it back. I've got an iPhone 7 and Apple Watch right next to me so it's not a huge deal to dump a shoddy device and get back in bed with Apple.

Mind you android is not like an iPhone. The depth of the OS is much greater so two user's experiences can greatly differ depending on what is enabled or not. The learning and optimization process curve can be steeper, but if that's above a person's patience or ability there's the iPhone. And Samsung's flavor of Android is even deeper than regular android so there's that.

I've got my S8 dialed and I see no input or response lag. Mind you out the box I could for sure discern dropped frames during certain actions but not so now.

The Android train ain't for everyone but for those that stick it out there are user experience rewards.
[doublepost=1494019560][/doublepost]Additional point: people have to distinguish between android OS and Android apps.

Some Android apps just aren't as polished as iOS apps and this will create some negative feelings about android in general.

Two examples are Facebook and My fitness Pal. The iOS versions are just smoother and more refined.

JaySoul

macrumors 68030
Jan 30, 2008
So I've managed to spend quite a few hours playing with my new S8, setting it up, going through 90% of options/settings etc...

Man. What a phone. My initial reaction was a bit "Meh" but the more I use it, the more stunned I am. This is a frickin supercomputer.

I'm very impressed by the hardware (obviously) but the maturity of the software makes me glad I sold the Pixel and waited for this. It simply suits my life far more than Google's new phone did, great though it was.

As for micro-lag/stutter etc... Yeah, it's there because I have 25 apps open and have been setting up loads of stuff all day. But let's see what happens in a week once the phone has settled down.

Overall, happy I've made the switch thus far! But the devil is in the detail, as they say. So let's give it a week.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Lava Lamp Freak

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2006
Not Impressed...

I was seriously thinking of trading in my iPhone 7 Plus and going back to Android, and why not get the latest and greatest newest Android phone in the Galaxy S8+. But sounds like it's still the same old Touchwiz, yes it has been greatly improved, but still not on par with Nexus / Pixel like stock Android smoothness, or iOS smoothness yet. With all the money and smart engineering team working at Samsung, they have yet to make Touchwiz or whatever they call the Galaxy UI, as smooth as stock Android on a Pixel ? WTF

I've had my S8 for two weeks now, and I have not yet seen any lag or microstutter. I'm one of the prior complainers about TouchWiz lag, and I went from an iPhone 7 to the S8, so I would call it out and complain if I had noticed any lag at all. I haven't read the thread yet so I don't know if there are specific apps with issues or if the complaint is just with the device as a whole, but what you're describing has not been the case for me.

Reactions: nviz22

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
Not Impressed...

Try it for yourself and don't just read some article.. Make your own opinion, and then be impressed/unimpressed or whatever

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
Not Impressed...

You're better off waiting because the 7+ is good enough to hold out until the Q3 and Q4 2017 phones. If you overanalyze phones, you will not enjoy them. The iPhone 7+ stuttered for me quite often. If you don't like the Samsung Experience's software design and function, you don't need to use it. Getting upset at Samsung for not living up to your expectations doesn't help since there are better choices tailored to your needs and wants.

The Pixel has tons of flaws, especially with hardware defects and supply issues. LG has boot loop issues. HTC is overpriced and has crappy cameras. Every device has its flaws. The iPhone SE has issues with tapping the back button on iMessage. Will I let a crappy bug ruin my iPhone experience, no. Will a S8 stutter cause me to throw my phone against the wall and demand my $ back, no. Just jailbreak your iPhone or root your Android to your liking to customize your experience and be content.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Nah. If that were so I would have taken it back. I've got an iPhone 7 and Apple Watch right next to me so it's not a huge deal to dump a shoddy device and get back in bed with Apple.

Mind you android is not like an iPhone. The depth of the OS is much greater so two user's experiences can greatly differ depending on what is enabled or not. The learning and optimization process curve can be steeper, but if that's above a person's patience or ability there's the iPhone. And Samsung's flavor of Android is even deeper than regular android so there's that.

I've got my S8 dialed and I see no input or response lag. Mind you out the box I could for sure discern dropped frames during certain actions but not so now.

The Android train ain't for everyone but for those that stick it out there are user experience rewards.
[doublepost=1494019560][/doublepost]Additional point: people have to distinguish between android OS and Android apps.

Some Android apps just aren't as polished as iOS apps and this will create some negative feelings about android in general.

Two examples are Facebook and My fitness Pal. The iOS versions are just smoother and more refined.
Problem is for those who come from an iphone and are used to a certain standard of performance it can be a let down going to android until you get used to it.

Problem is people don't give themselves enough time to adjust from one platform to the next

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Problem is for those who come from an iphone and are used to a certain standard of performance it can be a let down going to android until you get used to it.

Problem is people don't give themselves enough time to adjust from one platform to the next

Between my iPhone and S8 Plus, I was able to make my S8 Plus run smoother.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

iPhones are toys that simply work and do nothing else to wow you. Android has a bit more of a learning curve to get a feel for customization. If people learn to take a step back and just use the device for what it is and not read Arstechnica or some overanalyzing site, they can evaluate whether or not the device is worth the curve.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014

Plus we're all talking as if iOS doesn't have the occasional lag or stutter or hiccup. I've seen it a number of times through all my years of using iPhones. I'll see it pulling down my notification shade and/or when I swipe between the two pages on the notification shade. I'll see it when I tap an app and it doesn't load right away even though it grays out signifying I've tapped it. I've seen it when typing -- iOS can't keep up with how fast I thumb tap with two fingers. I see it lag slightly or miss taps. And I've definitely had lag sometimes when hitting the home button trying to return home.

But none of these things are deal breakers cause they happen rarely and under certain conditions.

Besides, we are talking about milliseconds of difference anyway. I wouldn't trade in any of the S8 software features over milliseconds.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
My s835 gs8 has micro lags especially going to the home screen.its real folks I'm hoping it's fixed with an update but I can repeat it

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
I've had my S8 for two weeks now, and I have not yet seen any lag or microstutter. I'm one of the prior complainers about TouchWiz lag, and I went from an iPhone 7 to the S8, so I would call it out and complain if I had noticed any lag at all. I haven't read the thread yet so I don't know if there are specific apps with issues or if the complaint is just with the device as a whole, but what you're describing has not been the case for me.
You will over time. My S7 Edge didn't do it originally, now it does it a lot and I am starting to get sick of it.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Not Impressed...

Get one, trade the iPhone if you are satisfied with the s8+. I have both the s8 and s8+, I was thinking of giving up the s8 for an iPhone or g6 and I did not do it.

widgeteer

Suspended
Jun 12, 2016
Not Impressed...

I read the first 6 pages and the vast majority of responses reported the opposite, that the phone was blazing. That's mostly been my experience as well.

No offense but you keep posting stuff crapping on a phone you keep insisting you won't buy. This comes across as you wanting validation. Can't help ya. Phone is awesome.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Same here. My iPhone 6s was lagging like crazy and I'm having a much better experience. The only time I had any lag was when I changed themes 10 times in a half hour.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.