Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Even after a device restore?

Indeed. Android needs regular maintenance such as clearing the cache, clearing the system/partition cache and fairly frequent rebooting. Also after a major update, ie Marshmallow to Nougat, a factory reset is beneficial (if time consuming).

Reactions: 5105973

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
Indeed. Android needs regular maintenance such as clearing the cache, clearing the system/partition cache and fairly frequent rebooting. Also after a major update, ie Marshmallow to Nougat, a factory reset is beneficial (if time consuming).

Can't remember ever doing any of that.
I have factory reset my phone twice, after screen repairs as I factory reset the phones (note 4 and S7e) but they came back with running versions of android minus my credentials so I factory reset than and started fresh.
Is disagree with Android needing regular maintenance in the form of clearing the cache, clearing the system/partition cache and fairly frequent rebooting.
In my case anyway.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Same here. Still have 7+ though

Same here. Enjoying my S8+ and Gear S3 Frontier but still have my JB7+ in reserve.
[doublepost=1494041090][/doublepost]
Does anybody else sometimes find themselves just staring at the S8 b/c its so damn beautiful?

I took the case off earlier and just drooled over it for awhile. It makes every other device seem like some throwback to 5 years ago in comparison.

The screen is freakimg enormous and beautiful and it's a joy in the hand.

It really is next level design that is a game changer.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Can't remember ever doing any of that.
I have factory reset my phone twice, after screen repairs as I factory reset the phones (note 4 and S7e) but they came back with running versions of android minus my credentials so I factory reset than and started fresh.
Is disagree with Android needing regular maintenance in the form of clearing the cache, clearing the system/partition cache and fairly frequent rebooting.
In my case anyway.

I find that my Xperia XZ benefits greatly from doing the aforementiond. It starts to lag a little and freeze up on Chrome but after a bit of maintenance it stops freezing and zips along again with flagship speed. Sometimes a simple reboot is all it needs but the cache can expand massively into available memory, so clearing it to get several gigs back can only be beneficial.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012

Eh not really. No more or less than all iPhones after the 6, when iOS definitely got a little quirkier. Though in general it's usually a good idea to clean install once a year for that shiny new feeling.

I think because android has access to greater interaction with the OS people feel compelled to do things that iOS keeps hidden.

Reactions: 5105973 and jamezr

Klyster

macrumors 68020
Dec 7, 2013
I find that my Xperia XZ benefits greatly from doing the aforementiond. It starts to lag a little and freeze up on Chrome but after a bit of maintenance it stops freezing and zips along again with flagship speed. Sometimes a simple reboot is all it needs but the cache can expand massively into available memory, so clearing it to get several gigs back can only be beneficial.

Fair enough, if it works for you then that's great. :)
I don't like/use chrome on android (it's great on Windows though, running enough), found it to be slow and battery intensive, I just use my stock browser.
I guess what works for some isn't ever going to be the same for all.
At least you know what works for you though.

Reactions: Demo Kit

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012

A factory reset is beneficial after a huge update regardless of which OS it is.

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
The browser is usually the main culprit when then phone slows down. When I used Chrome over a period of time without killing it, I check its RAM usage can go as high as 2Gb (eventhough there are not many tabs opened). I think somehow certain webpages (even after closing) may have caused memory leakage.

And Chrome is system app and doesnt get fully killed when you close it in Recent. You can go to Setting-App Mgr and stop it there (which unloads everything). Or you can get something 3C Task Manager app.

SteveJUAE

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2015
Land of Smiles
Does anybody else sometimes find themselves just staring at the S8 b/c its so damn beautiful?

Not quite that sad :)

However I have played around trying to find a nice lock screen especially as I dislike that up and over clock

Fortunately having a dual sim version I can put a home and away roaming clock on so I get two normal clock orientations

I did not realise till quite recently you can have a tilt "animation" lock screen the free one in themes which is a sort of stylised figure 8 is a good example IMO how the colours can shift, now that has me staring at my S8 at times LOL

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
My s835 gs8 has micro lags especially going to the home screen.its real folks I'm hoping it's fixed with an update but I can repeat it
Mine was doing that for several days. I was complaining on this thread about it. It stopped this week and I'm not sure why. I was messing with animation settings in developer mode. Then I decided I didn't care for how I tweaked it and went back to default. Through it all I did several reboots. I must have shaken some bug out because it runs fine now.

My iPhones lag sometimes. I get crashes of iOS apps on a regular basis, though fewer on my iPhone as Apple continues to release iOS updates. The iPad I'm using at the moment is a mess and all I've ever done on it is read and browse the web and it's only a year and half old. I think whatever you get, you're going to need to learn how to do device management and maintenance. There is just more than to troubleshoot on the S8+ because it's so versatile and customizable so there's more points of entry for trouble.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Got to use one in store earlier this week. Very good hardware. I didn't detect any lag, but that was on a stock phone. I suspect some apps being placed in the background may affect performance in terms of how they're handed off to the OS to deal with? I do not see myself upgrading until the end of summer just so the minor bugs and kinks are worked out.

It feels a lot better than my S7 in my hand and... I'm not sure how to explain it other than it feels solid and balance. Like the satisfying clunk from a really good Zippo brand lighter. Sammy have knocked it out of the park.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Mr Mobile & MKBHD did a great video for LGG6 & S8.

Essentially both great devices which is good as last year Samsung had no competition from LG (V20 wasn't released wide enough to compensate for disaster of G5)

I have no doubt had Samsung released an S8 with flat display I would have picked that up over the LG, so it's possibly good fortune as by going all edge and forcing those who prefer flat to look elsewhere, I finally gave LG a chance and so far I'm impressed with the alternative and have saved myself a couple hundred $$ in the process.

Android is in a very good place so far this year and hopefully can only get better with the Pixel 2 and Note 8 to come ...

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Mr Mobile & MKBHD did a great video for LGG6 & S8.

Essentially both great devices which is good as last year Samsung had no competition from LG (V20 wasn't released wide enough to compensate for disaster of G5)

I have no doubt had Samsung released an S8 with flat display I would have picked that up over the LG, so it's possibly good fortune as by going all edge and forcing those who prefer flat to look elsewhere, I finally gave LG a chance and so far I'm impressed with the alternative and have saved myself a couple hundred $$ in the process.

Android is in a very good place so far this year and hopefully can only get better with the Pixel 2 and Note 8 to come ...
You bought the G6 MRU?

It's probably going to be my next phone when prices go down. Like you, I prefer the flat screen. I've tried both and they're stunning. I was super impressed at how good, nice and comfortable the G6 felt on my hand. It felt small!

Hopefully I will get it at less than 400€ at some point.

Reactions: MRU

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I read the first 6 pages and the vast majority of responses reported the opposite, that the phone was blazing. That's mostly been my experience as well.

No offense but you keep posting stuff crapping on a phone you keep insisting you won't buy. This comes across as you wanting validation. Can't help ya. Phone is awesome.

I too never understand why a few people spend so much time trying to talk down something they would never even consider buying, but it happens often on Samsung threads around here.

With that said, yes occasional I'll get a so called "microstutter" when going back to the home screen, but come on... we're splitting hairs here. Overall the software experience is fast and smooth.

iOS is not perfect either. I have an iPad Air 2 and I've had it hang, stutter or even just lock up requiring a forced re-boot from time to time. Yes it runs great most of the time, but do does my S8+ and so did my S7 edge.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
You bought the G6 MRU?

It's probably going to be my next phone when prices go down. Like you, I prefer the flat screen. I've tried both and they're stunning. I was super impressed at how good, nice and comfortable the G6 felt on my hand. It felt small!

Hopefully I will get it at less than 400€ at some point.
Given its available at around €535-550 at the moment I wouldn't be surprised to see it at €400 in a couple of months. Keep an eye on amazon.it as it's often cheaper buying from there than the UK or German Amazon stores.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I too never understand why a few people spend so much time trying to talk down something they would never even consider buying, but it happens often on Samsung threads around here.

With that said, yes occasional I'll get a so called "microstutter" when going back to the home screen, but come on... we're splitting hairs here. Overall the software experience is fast and smooth.

iOS is not perfect either. I have an iPad Air 2 and I've had it hang, stutter or even just lock up requiring a forced re-boot from time to time. Yes it runs great most of the time, but do does my S8+ and so did my S7 edge.

Did you change the stock dpi setting? That might account for microstutter at times.

My s8+ I never had the issue, the s8 I did till recently. I did change the dpi on the latter but now I do not experience microstutter. There was a rather recent t-mobile update, otherwise I can not account for why it is gone.

Reactions: MRU

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Did you change the stock dpi setting? That might account for microstutter at times.

My s8+ I never had the issue, the s8 I did till recently. I did change the dpi on the latter but now I do not experience microstutter. There was a rather recent t-mobile update, otherwise I can not account for why it is gone.

Yes I changed it to WQHD+ because I figure as long as it's got the pixels might as well use them.

Reactions: Tsepz and Pd1987

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yes I changed it to WQHD+ because I figure as long as it's got the pixels might as well use them.
Isn't that just resolution rather than DPi scaling. There should be a scaling option which adjusts DPi outside of resolution. There was on the S7/7e anyway.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Speaking of changing resolution, wondering if it's truly with changing to QHD. I did that right out of the box but just wondering if anyone has stayed put and if they're happy with it.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
I have disabled Google app and froze chrome browser and I'm blown away from power life.

I broke 6.5 hours onscreen time with performance mode on a screen resolution at Max and added 10 % brightness

FB
Ig
Snapchat
Email
WhatsApp all live syncing

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
I have disabled Google app and froze chrome browser and I'm blown away from power life.

I broke 6.5 hours onscreen time with performance mode on a screen resolution at Max and added 10 % brightness

FB
Ig
Snapchat
Email
WhatsApp all live syncing

What if you traded FB for the Google App? Google Now is more useful than the FB app imo. I haven't had a FB app installed on a device in ages. I just use the web version, and I might stop that because FB is just better to check infrequently in my shoes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.