Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Well that explains my micro stutters and my co-workers phone not doing it.

I have 2.0 and he has 2.1

I'm so fing pissed off and I paid full retail 700+ for this phone.

A 300mb difference per second read speeds is HUGE and IV done everything to fix my phone.
The microstutters are from the update to TouchWiz launcher, not a 2.0/2.1 thing. Hopefully it gets fixed info the next update. I complained already.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
This is the one. What's great about it is that the sides match the color of the phone so you barely realize that a case is on!

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Clear-Protective-Cover/dp/B06XJCDRSX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493689612&sr=8-1&keywords=galaxy+s8++clear+cover

Got it today from a great member here. Not sure I like it. Looks good enough but it feels "sharp" if that makes sense? The raised sides of it rub against my fingers when holding the phone and swiping.

May give it a day or 2 but may not be for me as it just doesn't feel right and almost more slippery than naked.

Definitely protects the back though and need that.

Hmmmmmmm anyone done a skin yet?

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS
The battery is not on par. It is a few hours shorter and especially is used in standby, it's many hours shorter.
[doublepost=1494116458][/doublepost]

I have both, iP7+ and S8+, and the battery life on the S8+ is better (in usage) and nearly as good (in standby).

Been getting close to 8hrs SOT once again on the Galaxy. This with the screen set to WQHD+
[doublepost=1494130367][/doublepost]
n reality wont make that big of a difference and most were happy before the news spread, but then the msm likes a drama now a days it seems. Unlike the other maker who went between emmc 5.1 and ufs which is a huge difference,

Anyways if anyone wants to see what there device has then, install a terminal emulator from play store and type the following in

Code:
cat /proc/scsi/scsi

enter the part number into google and you have your answer, mine was klucg4j1ed-b0c1 which is the 2.1 version

2.1 here (Snap S8+ - TMobile )

Reactions: HiDEF

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013
People disable things and break it.

I disabled Facebook and Uber. Turned off animations. Switch to Nova. No lag for me.

If I ever come across anything I am not sure about, I always google it with a package disabler. Haven't used one of those in about 2 years. I am content with my performance enough to ignore that option. Could I always optimize my S8? Sure. But I can also optimize a helluva of other stuff like my S7, Xbox One, and other stuff with playing around in the settings and with software/apps.

M5RahuL

macrumors 68040
Aug 1, 2009
TeXaS

I disabled Facebook and Uber. Turned off animations. Switch to Nova. No lag for me.

I've disabled Bixby (button remapped to launch Google Music app) and Lookout. Animations set to 0.5 and actually liking TW this time ( usually Nova is the very first download! ) and no lag here either!

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Same here, Nova launcher with a few select things disabled via Package disabler and no lag or stutters, and yes i see people going gung ho with disablers and whilst it may appear in google as safe to disable it can affect other packages, i know this from my days of creating a slim rom for the galaxy note, some total random apps that seemed isolated when removed would affect battery life and or performance. We at the time believed Samsung did this to make it harder for the custom rom community

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa

Indeed!

I stay clear away from Package Disabler, it caused havoc when I disabled things when I 1st got my phone, so I uninstalled it and just used the built-in app manager to disable what I could and I was golden.

frankgrimes

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2016
I honestly think Samsung needs to go back to being cutting edge in terms of specs, TW is a performance hog and I'm sure that Bixby tool isn't lightweight either so I'm not surprised that the phone has serious lag issues.

Samsung will need some time to figure out the bugs that's the price for being an early adopter, I'm sure most apps aren't updated for the new resolution too.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I honestly think Samsung needs to go back to being cutting edge in terms of specs, TW is a performance hog and I'm sure that Bixby tool isn't lightweight either so I'm not surprised that the phone has serious lag issues.

You have obviously not used the phone because nothing here is accurate at all in terms of the S8. "Serious lag issues"...lol okay bud.
Samsung will need some time to figure out the bugs that's the price for being an early adopter, I'm sure most apps aren't updated for the new resolution too.

Again, another blind statement. All you have to do is set an app to be full screen and it optimizes to full screen, and yes it optimizes properly.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
A lot of people do have issues and it's well documented on youtube, xda so yes it does have serious lag issues
Just because you saw it on YouTube doesn't make it fact. Name your favorite phone......and you can find a YT about it where it get trashed by a YT video.
I don't have lag on my S8+ and I am not alone in this. It is one of the best phones i have used. Not perfect but it does provide a great user experience for you. Hate where the FPS is but I have gotten used to it by now. Then Iris scanning is so damn good!

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2015
Have never liked Samsungs but this phone makes me want one! Lol

Somebody locally is selling an S8+ for $500 bucks.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Have never liked Samsungs but this phone makes me want one! Lol

Somebody locally is selling an S8+ for $500 bucks.

Jump on it.

You can sell it back for more most likely if you don't like it.

That being said, iOS homer here and this phone is absolutely fantastic in so many ways. The design is awe inspiring and fantastic to use every single day in your hands. The OS is much much better than ever before and super clean.

I gush over this damn thing and I hate that I do...its a phone!! But its a fantastic experience and bravo to Samsung to pull this off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.