Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Isn't that just resolution rather than DPi scaling. There should be a scaling option which adjusts DPi outside of resolution. There was on the S7/7e anyway.

There is but I doubt they did that then. I was going to change it back to stock setting BUT I need to utilize the phone my way. Since the s8 is no longer microstuttering, I don't need to worry about it. I only noticed it going back to the home screen, nowhere else.

Reactions: MRU

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Ok what is this sudden controversy that media is on about regarding storage speeds varying between UFS1 & UFS2 ....

Sounds like the same 'controversy' as the P10 fell into.

I doubt many will ever notice the difference in day to day life tbh.

Reactions: Klyster and nviz22

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
Ok what is this sudden controversy that media is on about regarding storage speeds varying between UFS1 & UFS2 ....

Sounds like the same 'controversy' as the P10 fell into.

I doubt many will ever notice the difference in day to day life tbh.

Yeah apparently some models ship with ufs2 and some with 2.1. Think the beef is that samsung apparently advertised it on their site as 2.1. However since this was found on xda, they have removed all references to ufs standards

Yay - 2.1 version here not that it makes a blind bit of difference in real world performance

Last edited:

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
UFS 2.0 and 2.1

Difference seems similar to using M.2 on 2x vs 4x lane controller. And yes my Mate 9 has excellent storage r/w IO. Huawei apparently uses two different controllers that and a difference.

thering1975

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2014
n reality wont make that big of a difference and most were happy before the news spread, but then the msm likes a drama now a days it seems. Unlike the other maker who went between emmc 5.1 and ufs which is a huge difference,

Anyways if anyone wants to see what there device has then, install a terminal emulator from play store and type the following in

Code:
cat /proc/scsi/scsi

enter the part number into google and you have your answer, mine was klucg4j1ed-b0c1 which is the 2.1 version

Reactions: M5RahuL and MRU

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Can't remember ever doing any of that.
I have factory reset my phone twice, after screen repairs as I factory reset the phones (note 4 and S7e) but they came back with running versions of android minus my credentials so I factory reset than and started fresh.
Is disagree with Android needing regular maintenance in the form of clearing the cache, clearing the system/partition cache and fairly frequent rebooting.
In my case anyway.
Android needs maintenance or it wouldn't be built in for clearing cache, etc. It's out there on google. I've had to do it to my S7 multiple times to get it running well again.

Reactions: sunking101

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Well that explains my micro stutters and my co-workers phone not doing it.

I have 2.0 and he has 2.1

I'm so fing pissed off and I paid full retail 700+ for this phone.

A 300mb difference per second read speeds is HUGE and IV done everything to fix my phone.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Whelp Monday is the day. I have to return my S8 or make the jump and sell my iPhone 7. Man, I can't believe it's already bee 2 weeks and I can't believe I'm still enjoying the S8. But do I want to go back to inferior hardware for the ecosystem...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place

A 300mb difference per second read speeds is HUGE and IV done everything to fix my phone.
Possibly could be I suppose. Sadly it would be pot luck much like camera sensor which you get. Would you be able to return / exchange ?

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Today is my final day to return the Galaxy, but my plans are to keep the Galaxy.. it's hard for me to package it up and return it knowing I had experience such a awesome phone.

So, I plan on putting a post up for the iPhone and Apple Watch to give the Galaxy a go for the few months up until the new iPhone is released.

Reactions: nviz22

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Whelp Monday is the day. I have to return my S8 or make the jump and sell my iPhone 7. Man, I can't believe it's already bee 2 weeks and I can't believe I'm still enjoying the S8. But do I want to go back to inferior hardware for the ecosystem...

Today is mine as well.

2 weeks went by super quick... But I'm enjoying the hell out of this screen and all that comes with the OS to give it up just yet.

Don't get me wrong.. the iPhone 7 is solid phone, iOS has some polished apps. But as you mentioned infrerior hardware... Hard for me to go back to the iPhone when using the Galaxy.

nviz22

Cancelled
Jun 24, 2013

Much ado about nothing tbh because the phone still works, even if not "optimal." That's why I am not checking which one I have so I don't have to be disappointed because of paying full retail price and not seeing the highest of the highest. I am just going to enjoy my phone for what it is and not what spec sheets state. That's why Arstechnica doesn't matter to me.
[doublepost=1494112855][/doublepost]
Today is my final day to return the Galaxy, but my plans are to keep the Galaxy.. it's hard for me to package it up and return it knowing I had experience such a awesome phone.

So, I plan on putting a post up for the iPhone and Apple Watch to give the Galaxy a go for the few months up until the new iPhone is released.

You don't have JoD with T-Mobile, right? That plan is great for those who want to use phones for a few months on end to upgrade to something more prominent.
[doublepost=1494112939][/doublepost]
Much the same I believe. Depends on the perception and beliefs of the end user ;)

Yeah, the manufacturer shouldn't matter because the S8 camera is top notch. DxO Mark doesn't matter to me as much now either because there will always be a phone with better camera performance in some small or slim aspect as technology advances.

Reactions: Demo Kit and MRU

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Today is mine as well.

2 weeks went by super quick... But I'm enjoying the hell out of this screen and all that comes with the OS to give it up just yet.

Don't get me wrong.. the iPhone 7 is solid phone, iOS has some polished apps. But as you mentioned infrerior hardware... Hard for me to go back to the iPhone when using the Galaxy.

I keep reading this, what is so inferior? When it has better battery, it's faster, most accurate display (not OLED though) and a few other things.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
I keep reading this, what is so inferior? When it has better battery, it's faster, most accurate display (not OLED though) and a few other things.
Ca'mon... Seriously?

Have you actually used the Galaxy S8/S8+? From the edge to edge display along with it being curved and how awesome the display looks. Even the battery has been on par with my 7 Plus. Granted, iOS does better on standby time compared to Android.

But if there was a poll out there giving users which hardware/design they prefer.. majority would go with the Galaxy. Heck, Apple has plans to do the same thing Samsung is doing with their newest Galaxy's. With putting a OLED display along with putting the home button inside the display. Clearly Samsung is doing something right.

And I've said this before... When having the two beside me... I'd been more geared to pick up the Galaxy over the iPhone.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Possibly could be I suppose. Sadly it would be pot luck much like camera sensor which you get. Would you be able to return / exchange ?

I am going to bestbuy Tom but I remember the person saying I have a restocking fee if needed to be returned from when I asked them I might want to upgrade to the gs8 +

It's really frustrating because I notice the micro lags constantly now and I will make a video and post it later on.

7 out of 10 times going to home screen it stutters and lags.

I'm the biggest Samsung fan and have had every single one of there phones each year and this is just not acceptable.

I can live with the 835 and the different camera lenses but when u get stuck with a castrated phone with all the worst components and then see stutters every time it loads a screen is just flat out bull ****

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Ca'mon... Seriously?

Have you actually used the Galaxy S8/S8+? From the edge to edge display along with it being curved and how awesome the display looks. Even the battery has been on par with my 7 Plus. Granted, iOS does better on standby time compared to Android.

But if there was a poll out there giving users which hardware/design they prefer.. majority would go with the Galaxy. Heck, Apple has plans to do the same thing Samsung is doing with their newest Galaxy's. With putting a OLED display along with putting the home button inside the display. Clearly Samsung is doing something right.

And I've said this before... When having the two beside me... I'd been more geared to pick up the Galaxy over the iPhone.

Don't need too. Seen it. I own a s7 edge with the same kind of display., so that is close enough. It's vivid colors are not accurate and that doesn't appeal to me. Maybe because I am a photographer at heart. The battery is not on par. It is a few hours shorter and especially is used in standby, it's many hours shorter.
[doublepost=1494116458][/doublepost]
I am going to bestbuy Tom but I remember the person saying I have a restocking fee if needed to be returned from when I asked them I might want to upgrade to the gs8 +

It's really frustrating because I notice the micro lags constantly now and I will make a video and post it later on.

7 out of 10 times going to home screen it stutters and lags.

I'm the biggest Samsung fan and have had every single one of there phones each year and this is just not acceptable.

I can live with the 835 and the different camera lenses but when u get stuck with a castrated phone with all the worst components and then see stutters every time it loads a screen is just flat out bull ****

Yeah, my S7 does that all the time. It's pretty common on the Samsungs especially. I'm on the Android forums and there are many complaining about it on the S8.

grkm3

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2013
Don't need too. Seen it. I own a s7 edge with the same kind of display., so that is close enough. It's vivid colors are not accurate and that doesn't appeal to me. Maybe because I am a photographer at heart. The battery is not on par. It is a few hours shorter and especially is used in standby, it's many hours shorter.
[doublepost=1494116458][/doublepost]

Yeah, my S7 does that all the time. It's pretty common on the Samsungs especially. I'm on the Android forums and there are many complaining about it on the S8.

It's sad my Galaxy S7 runs smoother than a brand new phone with nothing really installed yet.

One thing I will give credit to is my battery life.i broke 7 hours screen time today lol

Yankee512

Suspended
Apr 29, 2017
Last edited:
Reactions: MRU and grkm3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.