Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
Can you give some examples of this? I'm just genuinely interested/curious.
[doublepost=1493905504][/doublepost]
There are options for sure, but Apple's solution requires no downloading of anything and minimal to no set up.
Its jut easier overall.

Easier is often the reasoning on this forum, thought I fail to see how hard it is to install an app.

That being said, there is an argument for the less "easy" approach. As i detailed in length in another thread on this forum, it can be nice to have to install an app, and thus exert more control over which device receives SMS, etc. I have an iPad that my wife uses as well, and thus I don't want all my messages going to that iPad.

Apple's integration may be 10 seconds, one time, easier...but some may find it annoying.

Some options, such as push-bullet or air droid, offer the sms integration with even more functionality. Pulse is the cleanest looking, though, and functions only for SMS/MMS

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Can you give some examples of this? I'm just genuinely interested/curious.

I really like how the S8+ handles notifications. The notification bar is fantastic and much more streamlined than how my iPhone did on the pull down menu. I can clear right from there and they are truly cleared or messages are marked read without having to go into the message or force press into it.

I also really have seen how much I enjoy the always on display. I get a ton of notifications a day and this easily can show them to me without picking up my phone and me triaging them as a "leave for now" or "pick up the phone and address it" type manner. It is a small but huge impact to how I use for my daily work flow.

Another thing I have enjoyed is the app drawer with the ability to swipe up or down to access my apps. Again, small thing but I like a very clean and minimal home screen so I only have 5 apps along the bottom for my frequently used.

I like having the control center at the top of the screen with access to almost 5 times as many options at a quick swipe to get to versus diving into the settings app.

They are very small things but things that present to you coming from an iPhone that make you say "why havent they thought of this"? while Android users are looking at me like its always been this way.

Not earth shattering but it has been a hell of a week transitioning and this phone is amazing. The screen alone is life changing with the quality, brightness outside, and picture viewing with the real estate is mesmerizing.

Ok, long enough. Sorry

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I've got quite a few thoughts on this phone, and they are all positive.

First, Ive tried Android devices in the past, and NEVER imagined I'd switch away from iPhone again, but the beauty of this phone got me. I really believe Samsung has done a remarkable job at refining the software with this generation. While they still have some work to do, it's nearly comparable to iOS for me and what I use my phone for.

Samsung Internet is probably my most used app on a daily basis, and it's the best browser available on Android, imo. Very comparable to Safari in both speed and features, but content blocking puts it over the top.

The SD835 must work wonder because I've never used an Android phone, let alone a Samsung phone that was as fluid each day as this one is. Battery life if incredible. For my settings, I'm getting around 6.5-8 hours of SOT per day. It also NEVER runs hot.

Tons of cool small features that I discover every once in a while as well. First time I can honestly say, I have given no thought to going back to iPhone, which is something because in the past it's taken me all of a few days to go back.

The ONLY thing I miss to some degree is being in one ecosystem for all of my devices, but for me that's only a minor issue.

I won't speak on the screen because A) we know Samsung makes the best OLED panels already and B) I do not have any issues like red tint. To me eyes, the display is breathtaking.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Easier is often the reasoning on this forum, thought I fail to see how hard it is to install an app.

That being said, there is an argument for the less "easy" approach. As i detailed in length in another thread on this forum, it can be nice to have to install an app, and thus exert more control over which device receives SMS, etc. I have an iPad that my wife uses as well, and thus I don't want all my messages going to that iPad.

Apple's integration may be 10 seconds, one time, easier...but some may find it annoying.

Some options, such as push-bullet or air droid, offer the sms integration with even more functionality. Pulse is the cleanest looking, though, and functions only for SMS/MMS
In my experience once people use the integrated solutions (imessage, facetime) they dont want to download any alternatives. It works good so why bother?

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
In my experience once people use the integrated solutions (imessage, facetime) they dont want to download any alternatives. It works good so why bother?

Fair enough, but that is your experience. I have used both platforms extensively and interchangeably. iMessage and Facetime often annoy me with how they work. I spend more time disabling them on certain devices than I do enabling sms via an android third party. There are people on this forum that fill the same.

The better way to look at it, is what were you exposed to first? That will greatly influence how you few these things.

Family and friends seem to be the bigger lock-in when it comes to apple devices. I don't see the big inconvenience, but again, it is my unique perspective.

One could also make the argument that the price of staying in Apple's ecosystem, while staying current with technology/hardware may be reason enough, for some, to venture out and try new things.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Samsung Internet is probably my most used app on a daily basis, and it's the best browser available on Android, imo. Very comparable to Safari in both speed and features, but content blocking puts it over the top.

I was also very surprised at this. It's a fantastic browser and I really enjoy the quick navigation bar at the bottom for ease of use in reaching for my favorites and home button for my website. It's blazing fast as well and lots of nice options. Big fan!

Has anyone figured out how to turn off texts showing up as emails as well? When I get a text it also goes to my work email box. I need to shut that off.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Fair enough, but that is your experience. I have used both platforms extensively and interchangeably. iMessage and Facetime often annoy me with how they work. I spend more time disabling them on certain devices than I do enabling sms via an android third party. There are people on this forum that fill the same.

The better way to look at it, is what were you exposed to first? That will greatly influence how you few these things.

Family and friends seem to be the bigger lock-in when it comes to apple devices. I don't see the big inconvenience, but again, it is my unique perspective.

One could also make the argument that the price of staying in Apple's ecosystem, while staying current with technology/hardware may be reason enough, for some, to venture out and try new things.
Very true and the same situation with my family and friends.

Reactions: BlueGoldAce

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013
I was also very surprised at this. It's a fantastic browser and I really enjoy the quick navigation bar at the bottom for ease of use in reaching for my favorites and home button for my website. It's blazing fast as well and lots of nice options. Big fan!
The Nav bar is a huge +, as is the 'top of the page' button. Also, one of the most understated Samsung Internet features is the ability to lock down incognito mode via biometric.

Reactions: Demo Kit

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Pushbullet, yeppy (i think it's called), airdroid, mighty text, pulse...there are several options.

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2102552/android/4-android-apps-that-put-sms-on-your-desktop.html

-just installed and setup pulse. This seems like the best alternative I have seen. The only downside would be the need to use a web browser on an iPad. Beyond that, it looks and works great.

If you have newer samsung there is Flow app which is the equivalent of Continuity.

The is also less complicated Samsung SideSync which I like. It works like a "remote desktop" into the phone from other devices. So phone screen auto shows up in a window on your PC/mac/tablet when in same wifi network. You use mouse and keyboard to interact (make sms/call etc) like what you do on the phone (but remotely). Best is you can transfers files/data between you PC and phone by drag drop.

sman789

Customer Support
Staff member
Dec 25, 2007
Richmond, VA
Phoned in a return request, took over an hour on hold, sheesh.

I have the S8 and battery is abysmal. I don't have any social networking apps on it and I don't game, yet I can't make a whole day. Screen on time never gets near 3 hours. I even resorted to using Power Saving Mode with background data off and CPU limited to 70%.

It's a stunning phone but I must be using it wrong. Farewell.

BlueGoldAce

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
If you have newer samsung there is Flow app which is the equivalent of Continuity.

The is also less complicated Samsung SideSync which I like. It works like a "remote desktop" into the phone from other devices. So phone screen auto shows up in a window on your PC/mac/tablet when in same wifi network. You use mouse and keyboard to interact (make sms/call etc) like what you do on the phone (but remotely). Best is you can transfers files/data between you PC and phone by drag drop.

Nice...too bad it doesn't look to be compatible with anything but a Galaxy whatever windows Tablet/laptop. It is suppose to expand support in the future, though.

mtenuta

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2011
So this happened :(:(

Attachments

• received_1841359586081302.jpeg
    received_1841359586081302.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 166

mib1800

Suspended
Sep 16, 2012
Nice...too bad it doesn't look to be compatible with anything but a Galaxy whatever windows Tablet/laptop. It is suppose to expand support in the future, though.

Device support for Flow is quite limited at the moment.

Sidesync works with any PC/mac (you have to install sidesync to PC/mac ). Phone/ Tablet - only samsung unfortunately.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Phoned in a return request, took over an hour on hold, sheesh.

I have the S8 and battery is abysmal. I don't have any social networking apps on it and I don't game, yet I can't make a whole day. Screen on time never gets near 3 hours. I even resorted to using Power Saving Mode with background data off and CPU limited to 70%.

It's a stunning phone but I must be using it wrong. Farewell.

Definitely look into the battery details. I am getting insanely good battery life on wifi all day with like 7+hours of SOT and solid standby time.

I do get wary of the rogue app battery drains that do seem to happen in my past experience with Android so hope that has been cleaned up.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
Are you guys getting the awesome 7h and up Screen On time using the International Exynos version, or do the SD835 also get great battery life ?

I might ditch my iPhone 7 Plus, only reason stayed with 7+ was for the great battery life, but if the S8+ can match or best it, then I'm all in.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
Are you guys getting the awesome 7h and up Screen On time using the International Exynos version, or do the SD835 also get great battery life ?

I might ditch my iPhone 7 Plus, only reason stayed with 7+ was for the great battery life, but if the S8+ can match or best it, then I'm all in.

I am on the US version.

It has really been surprising as like you, I was very concerned about battery life as well coming from my 7+. I even have it on the QHD setting and not 1080p so there is even more room to provide even better battery coverage.

I will say, I work in a dark office setting and my brightness normally hovers around 50% or so.

Reactions: Tig Bitties

Geert76

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2014
the Netherlands

Exynos version here, easily get between 6 - 7 hours SOT.

Cryates

macrumors 68040
Nov 19, 2013

I'm getting anywhere from 6.5-8 hours SOT, and I'm using the SD835 version. Obviously that will vary per user, but I can tell you I'm using my S8+ identically to how I used my 7 Plus.

Reactions: jamezr

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
I use Nine for exchange and Gmail for gmail. I like my work and personal email apps separate. Nine is a modified/glorified AOSP / stock android email client. I love it.
Another vote for nine. It syncs perfectly with the stock calendar and syncs contacts as well. Plus, with my work, the stock email app disables smart Lock where nine let's me use it.

Reactions: co.ag.2005

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
@Cnasty

The way the Samsung software handles the bubbly pop-up notifications is super slick. It doesn't cover any information in your status bar and is clean and simple. I really like it.

Reactions: Cnasty

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I'm getting anywhere from 6.5-8 hours SOT, and I'm using the SD835 version. Obviously that will vary per user, but I can tell you I'm using my S8+ identically to how I used my 7 Plus.
Same here...I ahve the 7+ and S8+ and the battery life has been great on the S8+....I am getting about the same as you...anywhere between 6.5 and 8 hours SOT on the SD835. I use battery optimization and have my display at just under 50%. If i am working from home and on WiFi ....i could go a day and half without charging.....same as my 7+

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.